PDA

View Full Version : germany detonated nukes in 45?

Daveroo
July 1st, 2009, 07:49
i watched a show yesterday,,i dvr'd it,and dont remember when it was on..but it was about an itailian reporter working for mussonlini,who was given free reign to german secrets(im not sure i believed that part)they interviewed the old guy who passed in 2000,and he seemed like he was a story teller....but to the end of the show they talked about how germany detonated two bombs,i forget where they said..i do remember the last one was northern germany..and was witnessed by a young girl who was interviewed,,,
i took a break and reread what i have and im rambling...

did germany detonate or did they not detonate nukes in 45?..and has anyone found info..i can seem to find any..dave

VFR Alexander
July 1st, 2009, 07:54
i watched a show yesterday,,i dvr'd it,and dont remember when it was on..but it was about an itailian reporter working for mussonlini,who was given free reign to german secrets(im not sure i believed that part)they interviewed the old guy who passed in 2000,and he seemed like he was a story teller....but to the end of the show they talked about how germany detonated two bombs,i forget where they said..i do remember the last one was northern germany..and was witnessed by a young girl who was interviewed,,,
i took a break and reread what i have and im rambling...

did germany detonate or did they not detonate nukes in 45?..and has anyone found info..i can seem to find any..dave
IIRC they were working on building nukes but in the end the allies found out that their reactors were too small to create one.

TARPSBird
July 1st, 2009, 08:02
There's been a similar story attributed to Japan. Some type of major explosion in the Kurile Islands, I think in early 1945. I think it's highly unlikely Japan or Germany had the technology to build and test-fire a nuclear device before they were defeated. Look at the elaborate research and development team we had in place for the Manhattan Project, there was nothing equivalent in either country.

Lionheart
July 1st, 2009, 08:19
The scientists in charge of making the bomb were stalling in the hopes the Allies would get there in time. (Pressure from the gestapo was intense on these souls).

Meanwhile, the Allies found out about the production of the bomb. The most important component they (the nazi's) needed was heavy water. They had a mountain lake in Switzerland that had Duerturium (heavy water, however its spelled) that the nazi's would use for this project. Otherwise, without it, the project was dead.

So, a night mission was assembled, we (the Allies) flew in and took out that damn.

I 'think' they made a movie about it back in the days of black and white movies.

I dont think it was Damn Busters...

Scary how close they were.

I have never heard though of an actual Atomic going off in Germany. But then they have evidence of that flying saucer that ran on tons of electricity and red mercury. The flying pad with huge steal cage and ducts for electrical cables exist today at the bunker site, atop a mountain.

Bill

VFR Alexander
July 1st, 2009, 08:37
There's been a similar story attributed to Japan. Some type of major explosion in the Kurile Islands, I think in early 1945. I think it's highly unlikely Japan or Germany had the technology to build and test-fire a nuclear device before they were defeated. Look at the elaborate research and development team we had in place for the Manhattan Project, there was nothing equivalent in either country.
Although there were spies in on it from day 1.

Henry
July 1st, 2009, 08:43
Meanwhile, the Allies found out about the production of the bomb. The most important component they (the nazi's) needed was heavy water. They had a mountain lake in Switzerland that had Duerturium (heavy water, however its spelled) that the nazi's would use for this project. Otherwise, without it, the project was dead.

So, a night mission was assembled, we (the Allies) flew in and took out that damn.

I 'think' they made a movie about it back in the days of black and white movies.

I dont think it was Damn Busters...

Scary how close they were.

Bill
i believe it was 633 Squadron in color
My favorite mossie movie
H

Toastmaker
July 1st, 2009, 08:49
Actual fission was never attained in the German program. Actually, they were not all that close to it. There was no nuclear detonation in Germany.

FengZ
July 1st, 2009, 08:52
there are so many military stuff we don't know about. You can never confirm these type of stories.

A few years back, i had a student in my design class who worked for the USAF. His job was a to create "pitch paintings" - which was then used to sell the aircraft concept to the government for funding. For example, a nice shiny F-22 flying around in the clouds...or an A-10 blowing up some tanks. His security clearance was very high (since he knew about these projects waaaay before the public found out).

Anyways, i happen to flip through his sketchbook one day, and noticed some really weird designs. Unlike most of us (meaning designers like myself), who was raised on Star Wars, Aliens, Bladerunner, etc. and have a certain look in our work (sci-fi influenced), his designs were almost another world...completely weird technology but yet had a errie realism to them. I asked if he got these ideas from captured UFOs (as a joke), and he got all serious and said he didn't want to talk about it. I can only guess at the type of stuff he's seen....

-feng

TomSteber
July 1st, 2009, 09:36
there are so many military stuff we don't know about. You can never confirm these type of stories.

A few years back, i had a student in my design class who worked for the USAF. His job was a to create "pitch paintings" - which was then used to sell the aircraft concept to the government for funding. For example, a nice shiny F-22 flying around in the clouds...or an A-10 blowing up some tanks. His security clearance was very high (since he knew about these projects waaaay before the public found out).

Anyways, i happen to flip through his sketchbook one day, and noticed some really weird designs. Unlike most of us (meaning designers like myself), who was raised on Star Wars, Aliens, Bladerunner, etc. and have a certain look in our work (sci-fi influenced), his designs were almost another world...completely weird technology but yet had a errie realism to them. I asked if he got these ideas from captured UFOs (as a joke), and he got all serious and said he didn't want to talk about it. I can only guess at the type of stuff he's seen....

-feng

More stories like that!!! Yeah, love it!
:applause::applause::applause::applause:

stiz
July 1st, 2009, 10:06

sure switzerland was netural throughout the whole war, i highly doubt we flew a raid into switzerland however ...

... there was a raid on the german heavy factory Norsk Hydro hydrogen electrolysis plant in norway done by britishs SOEs and norway SOEs in 1942 (think it was 42, might have been 43)

Cratermaker
July 1st, 2009, 10:07
Actual fission was never attained in the German program. Actually, they were not all that close to it. There was no nuclear detonation in Germany.
I thought it was. Not the atomic bomb bang kind, but the experimental type where you use a moderator to slow things way down and count how many neutrons fly off.

Something about an aluminum cased chunk of uranium, heavy water, and something else... it's been a while since I read it though. But I'm pretty sure they got around to starting to play with fission.

They knew an atom bomb could be built, they just didn't have the resources to do it. They sure didn't know we were pursuing it with as much vigor as we did though.

Collin
July 1st, 2009, 10:19
sure switzerland was netural throughout the whole war, i highly doubt we flew a raid into switzerland however ...

... there was a raid on the german heavy factory Norsk Hydro hydrogen electrolysis plant in norway done by britishs SOEs and norway SOEs in 1942 (think it was 42, might have been 43)

Telemark Raid, Brit para's failed due aircraft crash, survivors executed.
Norwegian SOE and further bombing raids eventually destroyed the building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_heavy_water_sabotage

Nazi UFO's?
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/album/showphoto.php?photo=14528

regards Collin:ernae:

Lionheart
July 1st, 2009, 10:57

-feng

Hey Feng,

I was watching a documentary on a major aircraft manufacturer, I want to say Northrop, (I think). The CEO was telling this person (I think he was a vice president of the corporation) one day; 'You know all those movies like Star Wars with space ships and things? Well we did things like that long ago.'

Sent a chill up my spine.

You know we have tons of new 'things' out. I will be really angry though if they have been past Jupiter and kept it a secret.

On the German flying saucers, there was talk of only one disc. The 'red mercury' was extremely deadly, and very rare, and is boiled or super heated (or something) and is located in the center of the disc. It was definately electric though. I think the term is Magneto drive, Magneto being electro-magnetic propulsion.

Here are some possibles of what it looked like. The third one is a 'scary thought' lol..

Bill

stiz
July 1st, 2009, 11:01
Telemark Raid, Brit para's failed due aircraft crash, survivors executed.
Norwegian SOE and further bombing raids eventually destroyed the building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_heavy_water_sabotage

Nazi UFO's?
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/album/showphoto.php?photo=14528

i know the 2 halifax's + gliders never made it.thought a couple of brit comandos where in the group as well though?

Cazzie
July 1st, 2009, 11:09
Stiz is correct, they even made a movie called "The Heroes of Telemark" starring Kirk Douglas.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059263/

It was the Norwegian resistance that sabotaged the heavy water plant at Telemark. The movie is fictionalized, however.

Caz

stiz
July 1st, 2009, 11:14
yea but at least they didnt bend it to much, like a certain other ww2 movie :engel016:

Matt Wynn
July 1st, 2009, 11:23
i believe it was 633 Squadron in color
My favorite mossie movie
H

633 Squadron was a rocket fuel depot, they had to blow off the overhanging cliff face so it flattened the fuel plant :icon_lol:

yeah a bit back Myself and a friend were looking at ways to sustain high speeds (mach 5+), we looked at all sorts of stuff, from these luftie 'UFO's' all the way to Hyper-X, now i guess i could show you my principal design..... all renders, never got it as far as my FS

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/IRIS-Matt/quickrender.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/IRIS-Matt/whaddyareckonnow.jpg

what you'll notice is the bulbous nose, there is a reason, see if you can all figure it out, i'm heading back to the design and gonna try and get it in Sim :icon_lol:

anyways, Germany did have a nuclear project if i recall one of the chief members defected during the war and went to work on the allies nuclear weapons program... but am unsure

Collin
July 1st, 2009, 11:25
i know the 2 halifax's + gliders never made it.thought a couple of brit comandos where in the group as well though?

Hi Stiz,

briefly mentioned here-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Commandos

Last line in paragraph of "Return to Norway"

kilo delta
July 1st, 2009, 11:30

-feng

Comrade Feng,

I am pleased to offer you a crisp $50 bill for this....how you say....Sketchbook?

Regards,

Kilo Delta-ski

:icon_lol:

FengZ
July 1st, 2009, 17:34
Comrade Feng,

I am pleased to offer you a crisp $50 bill for this....how you say....Sketchbook?

Regards,

Kilo Delta-ski

:icon_lol:

lol, i wish i could have seen more of his sketchbook. He stopped bring it to class after that.

I can describe one of the sketches (man, i hope nobody is watching this..haha). It was a very long and thin beam, with two small spheres on both ends (almost like a stretched out classic dumbbell with small round weights). On both spheres were tiny observation windows....so the scale looks as long as a 757....of course just super thin. There were no visible engines or wings. He rendered it solid black except for the window area and drew a few hovering over a landscape....really errie.

anyways...weird huh? That's not your typical "sci-fi" spaceship design (in films/games, we typically have very distinct "front (cockpit)" and "back (engines)" on designs...so the general audience can quickly tell where the ship is pointed. These designs he drew would not work well inside a game/film...but yet they felt so realistic....so who knows what they are for....??

-feng

Willy
July 1st, 2009, 18:56
I believe the Nazi atomic project was code named "Virus House".

Matt Wynn
July 2nd, 2009, 00:17
the germans were close, if the war had gone on another year.... well look what may have happened, the superb German Jets that were planned but never saw flight during the war... things like the HE162B,C,D, the HS132, Ta183 and more chilling to think, the Horten 229 and possibly their America - Bomber, complete with Nuclear weapon, the america bomber idea was on the boards in early 1943 (IIRC), and was planned to carry just one bomb... Nuclear, and release it on New York, if they'd have managed that well.... we cannot even begin to think of the consequences.

Germany always was and still is an innovative country, just that now they've moved from globalisation and supremacy into the world of affordable, good quality cars, either way thats still 2-0 on the scoresheet :173go1:

Lionheart
July 2nd, 2009, 00:39
lol, i wish i could have seen more of his sketchbook. He stopped bring it to class after that.

I can describe one of the sketches (man, i hope nobody is watching this..haha). It was a very long and thin beam, with two small spheres on both ends (almost like a stretched out classic dumbbell with small round weights). On both spheres were tiny observation windows....so the scale looks as long as a 757....of course just super thin. There were no visible engines or wings. He rendered it solid black except for the window area and drew a few hovering over a landscape....really errie.

anyways...weird huh? That's not your typical "sci-fi" spaceship design (in films/games, we typically have very distinct "front (cockpit)" and "back (engines)" on designs...so the general audience can quickly tell where the ship is pointed. These designs he drew would not work well inside a game/film...but yet they felt so realistic....so who knows what they are for....??

-feng

Thats wild.. lol..

There have been many reports of cigars the size of huge fuselages. Some even docking with each other, one above the other.

There is a hilarious YouTube footage of a modern, state of the art Mig chasing a cylinder. The Cylinder makes an arc turn and accellerates twice its speed, gradually leaving the Mig behind. Its all on a combat camera.

The funny part is that the cylinder has flat ends.. Sounds like the Borg in Star Trek.

Anyways, easy enough to search for in YouTube. And yes, looks very real.

With Magneto drive, who knows where the front would be, or if there would be. The magnetic poles would be the 'control surfaces' or 'ends'.

In reading a book long ago in my childhood, a book on UFO's, there was a report of a group of hikers in New Mexico that came accross a crashed disc on top of a Mesa. Totally different from the famed UFO. This one had a burned, cracked, damaged top hatch. A couple of the hikers were able to climb through the hatch (they got it opened) and climbed around in the ship. It appeared to have seats for small kids, and two levels. The exterior was round.

The chapter of the book continues that the technology of the disc craft was that the 'systems' were not attached by wiring, and that the outer area within the round hull had a cylinder (torroid) in it where 3 large metal spheres/balls raced around, like a gyro. (Giant ball bearings?)

Supposedly the USAF disassembled it to take it to a base and couldnt put it back together.

I have looked for that book again and havent found it. Some wild stories in it.

Who knows.....

Piglet
July 2nd, 2009, 03:01
LH comes up with the wildest stories! The planes I work on have magneto drive... Usually Slick or Bendix, firing two plugs per cylinder.:wavey:

kilo delta
July 2nd, 2009, 04:18

-feng

hmmmm...similar to

http://www.customreplicas.com/images/Discovery1.jpg

FengZ
July 2nd, 2009, 04:43
lol, yeah, i've very familiar w/ the 2001 spaceship (one of the films i had to study in school).

the sketches i saw were not this...i guess it's hard to describe the "other world' quality about them...really weird stuff... This 2001 ship is still "earth" like...w/ human proportions, shapes, details, etc.

anyways, i'm probably reading too much into it....lol

-feng

KOM.Nausicaa
July 2nd, 2009, 07:29
The german nuke story is a fairytale.

But the Feng story is fascinating. BTW, Feng, watched some of your DVD's, cool stuff.
:medals:

Pauke! Pauke!
July 2nd, 2009, 14:42
Nazi Germany had a atomic bomb program but it did not progress as quickly or productively as the US Manhattan Project. The best minds had imigrated out of Europe prior to the war most to the United States. United States Public TV Nova had an intersting program about recovering German heavy water drums from a sunken railway ferry in a Norwegian Fjord. Here is a link to the program website. Some articles and a preview of the program are included.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/hydro/

SNzLHJKJRmk

Lionheart
July 2nd, 2009, 18:01
What is different with heavy water?

I know its also called Deuterium (however thats spelled) and that with this you can cover radioactive equipment (such as a reactor core) and be able to see the reactor underwater with safety from bombardment. But what is different from the water?

Can you drink it? Is it like saline? What is the molecular construction?

Bill

Willy
July 2nd, 2009, 18:13
Heavy Water:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_water

Nazi Atomic Weapons research (aka: Virus House)

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/archivos_pdf/virushouse.pdf

gera
July 2nd, 2009, 18:48
Mussolini built the "Aeonautical study Center of the Regia Aeronuatica" in a city called Guidonia very near Rome. This was the most modern experimental site in the world and the first wind tunnel was built here. They also had the largest wave making tank where many hydroplane hulls were tested. Here the first jet was tested and many aeronautical experiments were the day to day activities. This place was as importat as Cape Canaveral was in its glory days....

kilo delta
July 3rd, 2009, 05:53
Here the first jet was tested and many aeronautical experiments were the day to day activities.

I'd always thought that the first jet engine was tested and developed by Frank Whittle in Coventry (not far from my birthplace!)

stiz
July 3rd, 2009, 06:02
yup, whittle designed the first jet engine all the way back in 1928, but was told it would never work!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Whittle

dswo
July 4th, 2009, 06:10
This sounds like Joseph Farrell's Reich Of The Black Sun: Nazi Secret Weapons & The Cold War Allied Legend (2006). -- For which the sober antidote is something like Richard Overy's Why the Allies Won (1995), chapter 7: "A War of Engines: Technology and Military Power."

Color me skeptical. During the war, Germany made relatively small investments in atomic energy and long-range bombers: they didn't even produce a Ural bomber, much less an America bomber. As for wind tunnels, the Wright Bros. were using those decades before Mussolini came to power. (You can see one now in the museum at Kitty Hawk.)

I don't say this out of disrespect for Axis technology. But their science was crippled, at one end by ideology, at another end by raw materials. They forced women, as well as Jews, out of the universities and they were chronically short of some not-very-exotic-substances like petroleum.

We should beware, also, of falling victim to the Nazi's own propaganda: we have secret new weapons that will turn the war around! Really! You shall see! In 1944, there was a surge of new research, but it was driven by panic and it was not focused. Science under the Nazis was surprisingly diversified (surprisingly, that is, for a totalitarian state). This sounds good, but in a war it can be costly. The German military had too many different machines for the same job, and getting spare parts a nightmare. Russia took the opposite approach: it manufactured a few, relatively low-tech designs in overwhelming quantity: e.g., the T-34 tank and its counterpart, the IL-2 tank killer.