PDA

View Full Version : Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum

Trans_23
June 28th, 2009, 16:49
I posted this over at the Transload forum and thought some of you might be interested here.
Last weekend I went to the shuttered Chanute AFB in Rantoul, Illinois. They have an air museum there and I took a few pictures of some of the wide range of aircraft they had on display. Most of aircraft were in pretty bad shape as they have been sitting outside for many years. Most of the aircraft were used for non-flying training well before the base closed in 1993. Other planes, like a P-51 and F-15 were being restored. There were many planes displayed in an old hanger and most of them were in better shape. It is obvious the museum runs on a shoe string budget as you could see water spots on the carpet and buckets placed strategically around the building. Non the less, it was very interesting and informative. They also have a section of the museum that just delt with the history of the Rantoul area. Many old artifacts like old wooden telephones and clothing, etc. I got in for the retired serviceman rate of eight dollars so it was definately worth it.
Chanute AFB opened in 1917 during WWI where they trained pilots to fly Curtiss Jennys. The base closed in 1993. For more information on the base just Google "Chanute AFB" and there will be many links from which to choose from. The Museum I went to was housed in Grissom Hall and is called the Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum.

Here (http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/Trans_23/Chanute%20AFB/?albumview=slideshow) is a link to my pictures on Photobucket.com.
Here (http://www.aeromuseum.org/index.html) is a link for the museums website including pictures of all their aircraft

Navy Chief
June 28th, 2009, 17:05
Trans,

Thank you so much for your pictures, and the information on the museum at Chanute. I knew the base had been closed, but did NOT know there was a museum there!

For a very brief period of time, I was with the Indiana Air National Guard: 181st TFG at Hulman Field, Terre Haute, Indiana. They sent me to the USAF Egress Mechanic School in 1978, then located at Chanute AFB. I remember staying in a really nice barracks, and my roommate was going through the USAF's Meterologist School.

NC

waco
June 29th, 2009, 05:44
Brought back old memories. In 1957 I went to aircraft electrical school there. A decace later I was ending a 3 year stint teaching the same course there. In between I had attended 7 level school there for my AFSC. I knew about it closing but not about the museum. Thanx for sharing.

srgalahad
June 29th, 2009, 14:25
The Chanute Museum also likes to tout that THEY are the "home" of the Tuskeegee Airmen because the 99th PS was formed ther to train the ground personnel before teh pilots got in the act 'down south' and the museum has quite a nice display, including the connections to local members of the 99th.
I was there last year and once I get my act in gear I'll upload the pics from the other computer.

N400QW
June 29th, 2009, 18:26
My cousin was a Staff SGT. in engine maintenance there in the 60s. Visited the Museum a few years back. The best part was climbing into the cockpit of the B52 thru the Flight Engineer/Radio section. Quite a squeeze in street clothes so can imagine how tight with full flight gear.

If interested, a side trip south on RT45 to Frasca Field is a treat as Rudy still has his Biplanes and WW2 Fighters including the P40 and Hellcat.:icon_lol:

whitehawk_2009
June 30th, 2009, 07:47
I believe the Mustang they're restoring is one of the few H models left.

WH