PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Flight, anybody?

Pages : [1] 2

spotlope
June 27th, 2009, 12:47
I hear ROF is out now and available, but so far everyone's been mum on it. How about it... anybody have it yet? Any PIREPs you can share?

FAC257
June 27th, 2009, 13:13
Spotloe

I've been following the development and now user comments over at the SimHQ ROF forum.
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/113/1/Rise_of_Flight_The_First_Great.html

They are pretty active over there.

FAC

majorv
June 27th, 2009, 13:46
I hear ROF is out now and available, but so far everyone's been mum on it. How about it... anybody have it yet? Any PIREPs you can share?

Yes, I have it. I am just starting the training missions, but here are my initial impressions:

1. Registration/activation - you must must have a valid email address and register on their website for the game to launch. Once you register, you need to wait for the confirmatory email back. Mine arrived over 8 hours later - no play till then.

2. It appears to come with only two planes. You must purchase additional planes from their website (haven't checked the cost).

3. Setting up controllers is a bit of a hassle. I and others had trouble with the axes being inverted. Although there is a setting to invert axes, it doesn't work. You must edit the .map file to correct this. A pain, but the fix works.

4. Training missions are cinematic and nicely done. Characters talk through the training missions and then you get to fly through hoops.

5. Sound effects (esp. wind woosh), flight dynamics, cockpit visuals and environment textures are all EXCELLENT. Very pleasing "actual flight" sensation. Worth the $39.95 right there.

6. Cockpits not clickable - bit of a downer.

7. Track IR supported.

Overall - am very pleased, and glad I bought it.

Major V

Lionheart
June 27th, 2009, 14:04
Woooot!!!????

Its out???

What stores are carrying it?

Bill

majorv
June 27th, 2009, 14:09
Bill:

I preordered mine from gogamer.com. It arrived yesterday. I see it is also available at fspilotshop.com.

Major V

pbearsailor
June 27th, 2009, 14:15
Just got my copy from gogamer. I'll report back later. :running:

Please don't buy this, Bill, until you finish the Tailwind. :icon_lol:

cheers,
steve :wavey:

vet123
June 27th, 2009, 14:17
Mines on the way should be here in 2 days yes :wiggle:

Rich

JayKae
June 27th, 2009, 15:22
Mine will be here on Monday or Tuesday, I had to order it from the States, noone here in Aussie had even heard of it lol

harleyman
June 27th, 2009, 17:41

cheers,

LOL :icon_lol: I second that...

Scratch
June 27th, 2009, 18:36
Been playing it for about an hour now and I love it so far. The inverted axes are a pain in the butt, but the flying is flat out awesome. The sounds are really detailed and well done. On one flight after taking several rounds in the engine the performance and the sounds progressively got worse over time and this also seems to depend somewhat on mixture and radiator settings too. I managed to land just before the engine gave out. The AI pilot had no mercy as he kept making passes strafing the hell out of me.

I wrecked the Fokker into some trees and flipped it over and when I switched to the external view to admire the excellent damage model I saw gasoline pouring out of the damaged engine. Pretty cool stuff:ernae:

heywooood
June 27th, 2009, 18:52
no screenshots yet??

Scratch
June 27th, 2009, 19:04
I have some shots of my best crashes so far. It's taking forever to upload 'em to photobucket though. I'll post them as soon as they are finished.

heywooood
June 27th, 2009, 19:05
it took a while to get AA and AF to work on my rig - had to turn off something called Post Effects.
then create a profile in Nhancer so the setting wouldn't conflict with FSX

After poking around in single player - solo flights I can tell you its an ok title...RoF has a lot of room for improvement though

You buy it and then you have to really glean the forums for tips on getting it to work and thats not an ideal situation

just getting it to the right resolution for my comp. was a bit of a hassle - finally found the cure in the settings .cfg within the main folder and then more digging to get my Sidewinder throttle to work - then the whole AA / AF settings thing - and with all that there are still all of the GUI shortcomings.

for instance - in single player - there is no way to select the weather conditions, the opponent skill level or equipment, the time of day or season - nada.

but once you get in the air....more little niggles - the ingame map dogs the FPS to nil and you cant reduce its size, move it out of the center of the screen, or lock the zoom level...so everytime you open it - it is front and center, far to big, and zoomed all the way in - and it does not self-center on your plane / flight - you have to manipulate the map view while flying mind you - in a stuttering mess.

for now I just don't use the ingame map.

All in all RoF looks pretty good although the distance or horizon always looks low res. and jaggy...hopefully they will increase the LOD range soon

I have to say - after flying alot of Lomac FC - the clouds and the terrain in RoF look very similar to it - almost too familiar...especially the clouds - they look straight out of lomac.

Lionheart
June 27th, 2009, 19:07
Just got my copy from gogamer. I'll report back later. :running:

cheers,

lololol....

Oh man.. And I just watched FlyBoys the other night as well....

arrghh..

Scratch
June 27th, 2009, 19:25
Me ramming a balloon
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/2009_6_28__1_14_22.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/2009_6_28__1_14_37.jpg

Here's the one with the gas leaking out. Look between the machine guns.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/2009_6_28__1_20_15.jpg

heywooood
June 27th, 2009, 19:45
those are great, scratch - the damage models are really well done - and when you saw the wing off of an opponents with MG's it really looks convincing - pieces twirling down and whatnot.

here are some shots of the other RoF fighter - just me tooling around FSX style in a Spad

pbearsailor
June 27th, 2009, 20:11
Definitely a keeper for me. Not without flaws, but there's so much here that is really impressive.

Shadowing in the cockpit is just beautiful, damage model is fabulous, and the airplane is hard enough to fly, much less fight in, that I'll be seeing the damage model quite a bit.

Menu is awkward for me so far, manual is way underdone, but much to learn and not much time with it yet.

Stunning achievement for neoqb for sure. :ernae:

And, on second thought, Bill, I guess it's ok if you get it now. It's going to keep me busy for awhile, so I can be more patient on the Tailwind. But I do want the Tailwind. :jump:

cheers,

DennyA
June 27th, 2009, 21:13
The whole registration/setup/configuration process is inexcusably bad.

That said, though, the sim itself is pretty darn slick.

And before ya'll start going crazy with the rivet counting, keep in mind that this the first all-new (as opposed to update of an older sim or IL-2 enhancement) airplane combat sim since CFS3 was released (and whined about to death) in 2002.

So I hope they improve the registration process and the idiotic menuing ("this plan is not aviable (sic) to you") issues. Because the underlying sim is really nice.

heywooood
June 27th, 2009, 21:35
english is not the native language of neoqb so I dont mind those kinds of things so much as the overall lack of information on how to use the menus or for the lack of player options in those menus...

I can see why they might have left the tabs in for planes that are as yet not available - kind of a teaser...but that they left those planes selectable in the menu and allow you to sit through what appears to be a loading screen - before a popup appears informing you that you cant fly that plane - is just wrong. funny, but wrong.

I am still struck by their marketing genius in using FSX to promote their sim with the outstang Dr1 model - and then canceling it out by not including it in their own sim at initial release - thats just a flat prattfall in my opinion.

more RoF : note the MG rounds' smoketrails with trajectory fade and riccochets

Scratch
June 27th, 2009, 21:37
I just had the most incredible dogfight with an Albatross! If this is what the AI is like in the rest of the game this is really something. He actually changed tactics several times during the course of the fight. Started head on then went to turning, but I lost him pretty quick. He was underneath me waiting for me to straighten out and when I did he put a few rounds in me. I went down low to meet him and we started weaving back and forth, neither getting behind the other. Every time he passed in front of me I would put some rounds in him. After getting hit several times he stopped weaving, flew opposite to me for a little distance then turned around and wounded me pretty good as the screen started getting red and fuzzy. I cut my engine and glided onto an open field for a bumpy, but good landing and he finished the job before I could roll to a stop. One helluva dang fight!!
This is what was left of me:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/2009_6_28__4_42_45.jpg

Scratch
June 27th, 2009, 21:40
english is not the native language of neoqb so I dont mind those kinds of things so much as the overall lack of information on how to use the menus or for the lack of player options in those menus...

I can see why they might have left the tabs in for planes that are as yet not available - kind of a teaser...but that they left those planes selectable in the menu and allow you to sit through what appears to be a loading screen - before a popup appears informing you that you cant fly that plane - is just wrong. funny, but wrong.

I am still struck by their marketing genius in using FSX to promote their sim with the outstang Dr1 model - and then canceling it out by not including it in their own sim at initial release - thats just a flat prattfall in my opinion.

more RoF : note the MG rounds' smoketrails with trajectory fade and riccochets

Yup, the GUI needs some serious work. I wish they would make the other planes available for FSX also. I'm sure they could turn a tidy profit by catering to FSX folks.

heywooood
June 27th, 2009, 21:52
yes - its a good start - overall I am happy with the purchase today (not so much yesterday when I first opened it) and it will only get better.

I do wish they hadn't had such a rocky start though - the initial login problems that so many customers had and are having is just a bucket of ice water. I hope they don't suffer too much for it - some of the forums and posts have been just brutal...including a few of mine initially :kilroy:

My understanding from what I have read at the RoF forums and from 777 un-officially ofcourse, is that neoqb DOES plan on releasing an update very soon that will marry the western release to the eastern / Russian sim - making them equal so we can all fly on the same servers, as it is feasible to do so geographicaly that is.

so it should be updated 'soon' as they say.

Scratch
June 27th, 2009, 22:09
Any idea how to fix the inverted rudder? That Albatross would have been dead meat if I wasn't fighting the stinkin' rudder.

majorv
June 28th, 2009, 06:26
Any idea how to fix the inverted rudder? That Albatross would have been dead meat if I wasn't fighting the stinkin' rudder.

As I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread, you have to manually edit the .map file you are using. From a post on the neoqb board:

go to your Input folder; ( located at X:\Game Folder\data\input )

...there you will see a file with the name input.map;

Open that file using notepad and find the axis you wish to change.

(in my example, we'll assume it is the rudder axis we want to change)

so find the line that reads:

action("RPC_YAW_N",State,joy0_axis_T);

change the "RPC_YAW_N", to read "RPC_YAW_P", ( bold added for emphasis - do not actually bold it in the file)

( or if it is already a _P then change to _N )

This changes axis-Positive to axis-Negative.

Panther_99FS
June 28th, 2009, 07:10
Okay....
This looks to be on the "must have" list......

(Dare I say I might even put in more hours in this rather than FSX when I get my system :ques: :kilroy:)

Roger
June 28th, 2009, 07:23
Okay....

(Dare I say I might even put in more hours in this rather than FSX when I get my system :ques: :kilroy:)

Do I forsee a "Rise of Flight" forum on the horizon?:d

Panther_99FS
June 28th, 2009, 08:07
Rog (or Huub for that matter too),
You got it yet :ques:

Roger
June 28th, 2009, 08:22
Not yet P. I'm presently looking for work as I was made redundant in May. I will be getting it as soon as I get work.

Scratch
June 28th, 2009, 09:27
As I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread, you have to manually edit the .map file you are using. From a post on the neoqb board:

go to your Input folder; ( located at X:\Game Folder\data\input )

...there you will see a file with the name input.map;

Open that file using notepad and find the axis you wish to change.

(in my example, we'll assume it is the rudder axis we want to change)

so find the line that reads:

action("RPC_YAW_N",State,joy0_axis_T);

change the "RPC_YAW_N", to read "RPC_YAW_P", ( bold added for emphasis - do not actually bold it in the file)

( or if it is already a _P then change to _N )

This changes axis-Positive to axis-Negative.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Scratch
June 28th, 2009, 09:35
Okay....

I think you will really like this sim. It has complex a/c management/flight model, the ability to navigate over a large area, very impressive AI, top notch graphics, gut wrenching combat, performs much more fluid at high settings than FSX without tweaking, a more immersive feeling of altitude and flight more so than FSX, combat, sounds are extremely well done, combat, and it also has combat too:applause:

Yeah, I think like Roger that we may need Rise of Flight forum here

StickMan
June 28th, 2009, 10:23
Do you have to order this game thought mail, or is Driect2Drive or Steam, places like that etc etc selling this sim over download or non boxed. I just hate waiting for mail to arrive when something this good is in it. Looks like most here pre-ordered and got thought mail.

Scratch
June 28th, 2009, 11:11
Do you have to order this game thought mail, or is Driect2Drive or Steam, places like that etc etc selling this sim over download or non boxed. I just hate waiting for mail to arrive when something this good is in it. Looks like most here pre-ordered and got thought mail.

Gogamer.com can ship it via USPS in just a few days. I don't think Steam or D2Drive has it.

Gdavis101
June 28th, 2009, 12:53
I ordered my from FSPilotshop last week, I guess I should have waited to see what people report.. I don't have it yet and the activation process has already turned me off! I was going to get this or ARMA 2, wish I had gone with Arma 2.. The demo is great!

I guess my biggest gripe here is, if they are going to do the activation process they way they do it, why not offer the game to buy via download? I used Steam to get the demo of Arma and bought Railworks from Steam also and didn't have any real issues getting it installed.

Scratch
June 28th, 2009, 13:17
Activation only took seconds for me. As soon as I typed in the number and clicked the button it was done.

Panther_99FS
June 28th, 2009, 13:41
Thanks Scratch :applause:
(Good to see you posting again) :guinness:

I think you will really like this sim. It has complex a/c management/flight model, the ability to navigate over a large area, very impressive AI, top notch graphics, gut wrenching combat, performs much more fluid at high settings than FSX without tweaking, a more immersive feeling of altitude and flight more so than FSX, combat, sounds are extremely well done, combat, and it also has combat too:applause:

Yeah, I think like Roger that we may need Rise of Flight forum here

Gdavis101
June 28th, 2009, 13:48
Activation only took seconds for me. As soon as I typed in the number and clicked the button it was done.

I am glad to hear that, just didn't sound very promising from the earlier posts was all..

JayKae
June 28th, 2009, 14:38
*claps hands* It is on it's way for me, should be delivered today!!

JorisVandenBerghe
June 29th, 2009, 02:13
For those that live in Europe, I noticed yesterday on Mathijs' Facebook:

[...] is happy to announce that we'll release Rise of Flight in Europe, Central Europe and Asia. This is one kick ass flight simulator.

JT8D-9A
June 29th, 2009, 02:26
For those that live in Europe, I noticed yesterday on Mathijs' Facebook:[...] is happy to announce that we'll release Rise of Flight in Europe, Central Europe and Asia. This is one kick ass flight simulator.
Thanks, great news! ROF looks really great but i wasn't sure if the US Version will work without problems in Europe. Hopefully 'soon' :jump:

JayKae
June 29th, 2009, 02:37
Oh man... they tried to deliver it today and noone was home!!! ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

JorisVandenBerghe
June 29th, 2009, 02:44
Thanks, great news! ROF looks really great but i wasn't sure if the US Version will work without problems in Europe. Hopefully 'soon' :jump:
You might be interested in this Aerosoft press release...:
Of course Aerosoft will fully support the pilots of this new product, with additional help files, tournaments (will you be our first Ace?) and new missions. English boxed release is expected in July, download version in August and German and French/Spanish versions later this summer.
PDF:
http://www.aerosoft.com/forum_screens/RiF.pdf

tracyq144
June 29th, 2009, 02:54
Read over at SimHQ that it will be available for direct download within a couple of weeks. How big is it, anyway?

Oops! Already posted!

JT8D-9A
June 29th, 2009, 03:34
You might be interested in this Aerosoft press release...:
Of course Aerosoft will fully support the pilots of this new product, with additional help files, tournaments (will you be our first Ace?) and new missions. English boxed release is expected in July, download version in August and German and French/Spanish versions later this summer.PDF:
http://www.aerosoft.com/forum_screens/RiF.pdf
Yeah, thanks! I missed this:redface: July/August sounds great.

jmig
June 29th, 2009, 03:45
You know Scratch, you have yet to post a picture of yourself in one piece. :icon_lol:

I am not asking for a perfect landing, just one you walked away from alive. :isadizzy:

Maybe you should consider transferring to the Marines? I am not sure you were cut out to be a WWI fighter pilot.

:icon29:

BTW: Neat pictures. :)

BananaBob
June 29th, 2009, 03:56
You know Scratch, you have yet to post a picture of yourself in one piece. :icon_lol:

I am not asking for a perfect landing, just one you walked away from alive. :isadizzy:

Maybe you should consider transferring to the Marines? I am not sure you were cut out to be a WWI fighter pilot.

:icon29:

BTW: Neat pictures. :)

Yeah, Jarheads are made for ground pounding with a few exceptions, LOL! Just like a Jarhead to sit in the plane upside down while fuel is leaking out, LOL, I always think of that line from the movie "Heartbreak Ridge", you should be kept behind glass that says, "Break only in case of war". Semper Fi brother. :ernae:

Scratch
June 29th, 2009, 13:15
I'll have you both know that I survived a semi head on collision with a Fokker DVII yesterday! I just popped one of their ugly balloons and made them pretty mad. The first one came at me head on and I put a burst in him and as soon as he got behind me I heard a very loud bang like someone slamming a hall door. My Spad was pushed forward very hard and fast making me struggle to keep control. I turned my head around and saw Fokker confetti coming out of a flak burst. I reckon Fritz took one up the tail pipe:applause: When I turned my head back around his wingman, who was really ticked off by now was coming straight for me. He flinched, I didn't and I clipped him making us spin 180. His wing came off and he fell to his death and mine didn't. I executed an almost perfect by accident spinning descent into no mans land and was still moving after the impact. So there!:173go1:

jmig
June 29th, 2009, 13:26
I'll have you both know that I survived a semi head on collision with a Fokker DVII yesterday! I just popped one of their ugly balloons and made them pretty mad. The first one came at me head on and I put a burst in him and as soon as he got behind me I heard a very loud bang like someone slamming a hall door. My Spad was pushed forward very hard and fast making me struggle to keep control. I turned my head around and saw Fokker confetti coming out of a flak burst. I reckon Fritz took one up the tail pipe:applause: When I turned my head back around his wingman, who was really ticked off by now was coming straight for me. He flinched, I didn't and I clipped him making us spin 180. His wing came off and he fell to his death and mine didn't. I executed an almost perfect by accident spinning descent into no mans land and was still moving after the impact. So there!:173go1:

:ernae: GREAT! Reply

:medals: <- for killing the hi-speed maneuvering balloon. ;)

ryanbatc
June 29th, 2009, 14:06
Is the performance similar to FSX or is it better?

Can you engage in massive dogfights, or is it 1 on 1?

What different airplanes are there?

BananaBob
June 29th, 2009, 14:50
LOL, best story I've read in a while Scratch! :ernae:

Scratch
June 29th, 2009, 16:47
Is the performance similar to FSX or is it better?

Can you engage in massive dogfights, or is it 1 on 1?

What different airplanes are there?

On my rig performance is much better than FSX. Very smooth at high settings with no tweaking. Feeling of flight and altitude is superior to any sim past or present. I don't know about massive dogfights as I haven't even started a career or campaign yet. I did fly a bomber protection mission with about 10-15 a/c in the air with no noticeable performance hit.

As for flyable aircraft you get the Spad 13 and the Fokker DVII. Others will be sold starting July 7th or a little earlier. There are many different types of AI planes, but I haven't seen them all yet.

The downside is that the graphic user interface needs alot of work, it looks very nice, it's just kinda clunky to work with. The in flight map just plain sucks, but you get a really nice large color map in the DVD case.

I have never seen AI this well done before. Most of the time they are viscious, sometimes they are cowards, and sometimes just plain careless like a noob just out of training. Pilot animations are very interesting and well done. I saw a Fokker pilot actually turn toward his wing man after shooting someone down and he pumped his fist in the air!

There will be a patch coming out soon that will fix most of the issues with the game. This is the best $39 I have ever spent on a game. If you don't wanna shoot stuff or get killed this sim is so good you can have a blast just flying all over France. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves flying, combat, or both.:ernae:

Scratch
June 29th, 2009, 16:51
:ernae: GREAT! Reply

:medals: <- for killing the hi-speed maneuvering balloon. ;)

Yeah, but I looked cool doin' it and I even beat that windbag to the ground:gameoff:

Scratch
June 29th, 2009, 16:53
Yeah, Jarheads are made for ground pounding with a few exceptions, LOL! Just like a Jarhead to sit in the plane upside down while fuel is leaking out, LOL, I always think of that line from the movie "Heartbreak Ridge", you should be kept behind glass that says, "Break only in case of war". Semper Fi brother. :ernae:

OORAAHH!! I love the smell of benzine in the morning:isadizzy:

ryanbatc
June 29th, 2009, 16:57
Thanks for the info!!!

spotlope
June 29th, 2009, 17:19
On my rig performance is much better than FSX. Very smooth at high settings with no tweaking. Feeling of flight and altitude is superior to any sim past or present. I don't know about massive dogfights as I haven't even started a career or campaign yet. I did fly a bomber protection mission with about 10-15 a/c in the air with no noticeable performance hit.

As for flyable aircraft you get the Spad 13 and the Fokker DVII. Others will be sold starting July 7th or a little earlier. There are many different types of AI planes, but I haven't seen them all yet.

The downside is that the graphic user interface needs alot of work, it looks very nice, it's just kinda clunky to work with. The in flight map just plain sucks, but you get a really nice large color map in the DVD case.

I have never seen AI this well done before. Most of the time they are viscious, sometimes they are cowards, and sometimes just plain careless like a noob just out of training. Pilot animations are very interesting and well done. I saw a Fokker pilot actually turn toward his wing man after shooting someone down and he pumped his fist in the air!

There will be a patch coming out soon that will fix most of the issues with the game. This is the best $39 I have ever spent on a game. If you don't wanna shoot stuff or get killed this sim is so good you can have a blast just flying all over France. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves flying, combat, or both.:ernae:
I am SO happy to hear that about performance! Looking at their site, you'd think that a person needed a liquid nitrogen-cooled supercomputer to get anything like smooth performance. Someone should take the recommended specs from Microsoft and Neoqb and average the two. Somewhere in there is the real truth.

I might not be able to stand this much longer... maybe I'll just toodle on over to my local cyber-retailer and put in an order tonight. And it's all your fault, Scratch. :isadizzy:

forgeknight
June 29th, 2009, 17:47
Hate to say it but my processor is under the specs. Anyone think it needs the 2.4 or can it run on a 2.0? Im good to go on everything else. Any thoughts?

BananaBob
June 29th, 2009, 18:01
Man, gotta get this tomorrow, sounds fun. :ernae:

Scratch
June 29th, 2009, 19:15
A successful bomber escort mission

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/2009_6_28__18_51_56.jpg

Got time to play in the flak

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/2009_6_28__19_4_17.jpg

Head butted a flak burst and made a good sideways landing, and yes I lived through it, see the empty cockpit?:applause:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/2009_6_28__19_23_13.jpg

Lionheart
June 30th, 2009, 07:01
Man this game looks AWESOME!!!

I wish someone in Phoenix carried it.. arrgh..

Bill

spotlope
June 30th, 2009, 07:15
I ordered mine from GoGamer, Bill. $39.99 and free 3-day shipping. Hard to beat that.

casey jones
June 30th, 2009, 08:04
I am very glad that this new sim has arrived, but I will stick with OFF and of course Red Baron, I have more then I can handle with these two.

Cheers

Casey:applause:

Reddog
June 30th, 2009, 08:31
I am very glad that this new sim has arrived, but I will stick with OFF and of course Red Baron, I have more then I can handle with these two.

Cheers

Casey how do u get RB up and working? tried with 2 different updated addons, Wings of valor and Wings of Glory(I think) the Sim will load up and everything shows that I can see but none of the controls work except for a few keyboard commands, using a ch yoke and pedals all usb connected.

Scratch
June 30th, 2009, 13:03

Cheers

I have OFF also and love it. It will be staying on my hard drive for quite awhile.

JayKae
June 30th, 2009, 14:37
I got it yesterday and I have not put it down, it is AWESOME, hard to play though geez lol the graphics are stunning and the damage model amazing

Scratch
June 30th, 2009, 17:31
Gives close combat a whole new meaning huh?

Akatsuki
June 30th, 2009, 18:35
I received my copy yesterday, had no problem setting it up and registering.
I've been doing some training first and some "russian roulette" missions, what stands out so far are the AI, the sounds and the graphics. All together it creates a great immersion.

An example:
During a 1Vs1 dogfight i lost sight of the ennemy, i was scouting around to try and locate him ( TrackIR helps a lot for immersion too )... I look below and see the SPAD zooming at me, luckily he used some ammo for nothing as he completely missed me. He passes me entering a right turn, i follow thinking that the Fokker will out turn him easily... I'm in his six but my aiming skills are not good so i miss him too, he dive, i follow ( tho i'm scared to dive in this sim. Really! :) ), he level and as he's faster than me he soon is away from me... Then he faces me again both of us shoot but no one hit each other... I lose him again, pull back the throtlle, look at my six and there he is doing zig-zags to try and not overtake me... He succeed and this time i'm shotdown.:engel016:

heywooood
June 30th, 2009, 19:30
well - here's me and a pal just enjoying the sunset in our DVII's - just a couple of Fokkers out on the town

heywooood
June 30th, 2009, 19:33
unbelievable self-shadowing in this sim...and when I flew my plane between the setting sun and my wingman...the shadows of my plane were cast upon the other Fokker - it really brings the imagery to life.

DennyA
June 30th, 2009, 20:22
OFF and Red Baron are awesome, but you're robbing yourself if you don't buy this.

The setup and user interface are abysmal. But the sim itself? A generation ahead of anything done before. Beautiful, great AI, great flight modeling, realistically breakable planes.. And it's far less demanding on the system than FSX.

Hopefully the IL-2 devs will take notice of how good AI is as important to the sim as the proper number of rivets and pain-inducing padlocks.

djscoo
June 30th, 2009, 20:29
erghh...you guys are killing me! I went to the bank and deposited 4 checks today into my checking account specifically so I could get this and Lionheart's new tailwind. I was hoping they would clear today but no...my account still sits there with $6 and some change and the checks in the "pending funds" section. I waiting on wells fargo and after that i'll be waiting on fed-ex lol.

heywooood
July 1st, 2009, 19:33
more...

FOO FIGHTER
July 2nd, 2009, 03:18
Fry's Electronics here in the U.S has it for $35. Saw it last night - about four copies left on the shelf. Would like to hear how it stacks up against OFF?

BananaBob
July 2nd, 2009, 03:19
Just ordered mine, now the wait, LOL! :ernae: Does anyone know if you can paint these planes too? Those are awesome shots too Heywood!!

Major_Spittle
July 2nd, 2009, 05:19
I just started flying it yesterday for a couple hours and am on the second to the last training mission, the one against ground targets. I am VERY impressed with flight dynamics but the thing that got me was the way the machine gun rounds richocets. I haven't seen something that purty since using the M1's coax on a hard target.

$40 at fry's. FSX is clearly dated in the physics and Flight dynamics department. ROF kept all 4 cores of my q9450 at 75% or better and my system was using 3.5 of 4 gigs of ram (64bit). My CPU is clocked at 3.6. I was able to run it on my 8800gt with everything maxed except the terrain (med). Now going to order a new video card since I returned my gtx260. I need ROF to run silky smooth.

Major_Spittle
July 2nd, 2009, 15:19
Well I just ordered an ATI 4890 to replace my gtx 260. Anyone know how the 4890 does in ROF or FSX?

Scratch
July 2nd, 2009, 15:32
Well I just ordered an ATI 4890 to replace my gtx 260. Anyone know how the 4890 does in ROF or FSX?

I have a 3870x2 and it works just fine.

heywooood
July 2nd, 2009, 18:19
Just ordered mine, now the wait, LOL! :ernae: Does anyone know if you can paint these planes too? Those are awesome shots too Heywood!!

look at the russian boards @ RoF

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=774

Lionheart
July 2nd, 2009, 18:34
I purchased it 2 days ago. I have tried many settings, but it seems to not like my graphics card. arrgh.

If I turn all settings to off or Min, I can get some fair framerates.

Might be time to get the newest nVidia card! :)

Those screenshots look brilliant!

Bill

heywooood
July 2nd, 2009, 18:40
Bill - did you uncheck all of the 'Post Effects' ?

Please try that and then you can set the AA / AF with Nhancer if you are an Nvidia guy...

uncheck all the boxes in post effects as well as the box next to post effects to get it it all the way off.

I can run 8x AA and 16x AF in RoF and it looks just fine

I have a P4 3.4 on an MSI Platinum 985 mobo Zotac 8800gt 512 and 4 gigs ram Xp Pro 32bit all up to date drivers.

djscoo
July 2nd, 2009, 19:41
My copy along with TrackIR 5 left Anaheim, CA yesterday...:sheep:

Lionheart
July 2nd, 2009, 20:59
Thanks Heywood,

I'll check that out right now.

:ernae:

Bill

BananaBob
July 3rd, 2009, 04:11
The sim is in Ohio now, probably be here the 6th, can't wait! Yeah, I always turn off the post effects too, ruins AA and AF. :ernae:

Major_Spittle
July 3rd, 2009, 12:31
What are " post effects " ?

Scratch
July 3rd, 2009, 13:40
Blood, Post saturation, Old Cinema, DOF, Drops, Bloom. You really don't need them in the game esp. bloom which makes no real difference that I can see. The sim looks awesome without all the above, trust me. All the screenshots I posted have that stuff turned off.

heywooood
July 3rd, 2009, 19:21
one of the developers @ RoF indicated that they were for flight sim movie makers and screenshot artists to use and not necessarily for running ingame otherwise...?

another said they were DX10 enhancements that probably won't really be useful until more powerful hardware is developed and available...?

I have ALL the Post Effect boxes unchecked - and the sim looks great as Scratch indicated above

CrazyPants
July 3rd, 2009, 19:23
After setting up the controls and getting trackIR working properly, I can honestly say I love this game! It's beautiful, combat is engaging, and the damage modeling is incredible :applause: :applause: :applause:

heywooood
July 3rd, 2009, 19:25
I think it is a great sim with lots of promise - as soon as the community at large starts creating missions and campaigns for it and gets the big ball rolling it is going to be a GIANT in combat flight simulation.

spotlope
July 3rd, 2009, 20:02
One word to the wise: update your sound drivers if you haven't in a while. Like a fool, I was running my W7 installation with the default supplied driver for my on-board RealTek audio. RoF runs for me (yay! Got it today!) but was really choppy, even with a lot of the graphics options turned down or off. On the advice of someone who posted on the SimHQ forums, I checked for an official RealTek driver. Bingo! After updating it and restarting, RoF runs like a greased polecat.

Enter, a new problem: I'm actually getting motion sick swiveling my neck around looking for that sneaky little Fokker. Immersive? To quote a soon-to-be ex-governor, you betcha! :applause::applause::applause::applause:

Major_Spittle
July 5th, 2009, 09:21
Co-op mode online is great. I just got 2 kills with my Fokker in one mission. It is nice when a Spade gets crippled and slows down, it is just a sitting duck.

There is a Co-op server set up in texas, I will be flying on it today - Major Spittle - if anyone would like to take my wing. Will be back on as soon as I finish Breakfast.

This game is a must have for anyone that likes flying. :ernae:

BananaBob
July 5th, 2009, 09:52
Co-op mode online is great. I just got 2 kills with my Fokker in one mission. It is nice when a Spade gets crippled and slows down, it is just a sitting duck.

There is a Co-op server set up in texas, I will be flying on it today - Major Spittle - if anyone would like to take my wing. Will be back on as soon as I finish Breakfast.

This game is a must have for anyone that likes flying. :ernae: A day or so until I get mine, will be trying it out online, haven't done that in a while, looking forward to it, I also have a headphone mic combo coming, should see about a channel we can get on. :ernae:

Lionheart
July 5th, 2009, 11:23
Many thanks for the advice on turning off the Post Effects section. Totally playable now.

I have been working with the Spad in the Balloon bursting scenario to hone my skills. So dark difficult to fly that baby. Each time I lose the engine from the Pfalz getting me, I try to put down in an open field and flip it over each time.. Only one good landing.. arrgh.

You would think I would be ace material for the years I have in it, lol....

Amazing sim.

BananaBob
July 6th, 2009, 10:59
I guess this is how most landings go for the first time? LOL Just started playing with this sim, really love the physics!! :applause::applause::applause:

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2006/m21.jpg

piperarcherpilot
July 6th, 2009, 11:26
I know its been asked a while ago, but has there been any new rumors about this being sold in any stores? (Best Buy...even...Walmart?) I'd rather buy it that way than pay for shipping.

BTW Bob, looks like you're still strapped in that thing! Get out before it blows!

BananaBob
July 6th, 2009, 14:11
I know its been asked a while ago, but has there been any new rumors about this being sold in any stores? (Best Buy...even...Walmart?) I'd rather buy it that way than pay for shipping.

BTW Bob, looks like you're still strapped in that thing! Get out before it blows!

LOL, didn't know what controls to use to get out :running:

I had one confirmed kill while one guy broke his wings off trying to out turn me, LOL, did better with the Fokker, better view too until I can hook up my TrackIR. :ernae: I also think the prop animations they did were brilliant, just had to point that little bit out.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2801/22081957.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2325/96142067.jpg

Major_Spittle
July 6th, 2009, 14:26

I bought mine at Fry's electronics.

Major_Spittle
July 6th, 2009, 14:28
LOL, didn't know what controls to use to get out :running:

I had one confirmed kill while one guy broke his wings off trying to out turn me, LOL, did better with the Fokker, better view too until I can hook up my TrackIR. :ernae: I also think the prop animations they did were brilliant, just had to point that little bit out.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2801/22081957.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2325/96142067.jpg

Bob, I am going online now to the US dedicated server. I will be flying a spad if you want to meet up.

My Rof name is MajorSpittle

CrazyPants
July 6th, 2009, 14:29
Major Spittle, gogamer.com has it for free 3-day shipping, that's where I got my copy. It shipped the same day!

Major_Spittle
July 6th, 2009, 14:36
Actually I am going to launch my Server again. Can someone in the US go online and see if they see an OregonSpittle server. maybe join it so I know it is working.

Thanks

Lionheart
July 6th, 2009, 17:49
<--- Fry's Electronics also..

I am sure the big game stores will carry it soon enough. Fry's cannot keep it on the shelf. The door security guy wanted to see the game. He said people were walking out with the issues (paid) all day and he was curious what it was about.

Bill

heywooood
July 6th, 2009, 17:58
more players means more servers, more mission builders, more painters, more money for Neoqb to expand the title and on and on...:ernae:

piperarcherpilot
July 6th, 2009, 18:10
Frys...sounds familiar, but I know there isnt one near me anywhere. I'll wait and see what happens with other stores in the near future. Until then I'll live vicariously through the screenshots and stories! :)

RAS_JF
July 7th, 2009, 01:30
Hi Chaps,

I've been using this for a few weeks now and found it to be excellent and very very challenging!
Quick question for you if you don't mind - what do you think about the necessity to always be online when using it? Did it not put you off or at least worry you when buying it? I was lucky enough to get my hands on a free copy that we have in the office as I wasn't sure I would have brought it myself because of the online capers. Not an issue for you?
Thanks

spotlope
July 7th, 2009, 05:36
With the exception of a brief moment of panic every time I log in, I dont' think much about the online necessity. In a week of gameplay, I've yet to have any problem signing in. In fact, if they've got a separate server for validating logins, it's a pretty simple thing to keep it up and running 24x7. Still, it gives me pause every time.

I suppose the upside is that my CD stays nestled in its case rather than constantly riding around in my drive.

heywooood
July 7th, 2009, 07:03
brief update:

the roF store where the new planes will be available for sale has had its July 7th opening delayed until this Friday.

the planes available will be the Nieuports 17 and 28 and the Albatros

The Se5a will be available at months end.

BananaBob
July 7th, 2009, 07:13
brief update:

the roF store where the new planes will be available for sale has had its July 7th opening delayed until this Friday.

the planes available will be the Nieuports 17 and 28 and the Albatros

The Se5a will be available at months end.

I just hope the prices are reasonable seeing how the sim, which is great btw, only came with two flyable. :ernae:

heywooood
July 7th, 2009, 07:39
I agree BB - I know some customers who would like to see those plane offered gratis as a way of 'mending fences' over the perceived slight of not including the Nieuports and Alby from the start...but that has gotten to be a heated topic and counterproductive.

The question has been asked but so far left unanswered at the RoF forum (under 'Questions' BtW and they really need to clean up those boards as there are too many catagories with all the same topics and all with the same tone)...how much will these planes be? will they always be at that price? will these planes be offered at a lower than usual cost (whatever that is) as an attempt to recover some good will? etc...

I can't wait to see that new Se5a

BananaBob
July 7th, 2009, 07:59
I agree BB - I know some customers who would like to see those plane offered gratis as a way of 'mending fences' over the perceived slight of not including the Nieuports and Alby from the start...but that has gotten to be a heated topic and counterproductive.

The question has been asked but so far left unanswered at the RoF forum (under 'Questions' BtW and they really need to clean up those boards as there are too many catagories with all the same topics and all with the same tone)...how much will these planes be? will they always be at that price? will these planes be offered at a lower than usual cost (whatever that is) as an attempt to recover some good will? etc...

I can't wait to see that new Se5a

Yep, would fix this fence right up, LOL! Just sucks to click on a mission then have it say, you can't because you don't have that particular plane.:mixedsmi:

Snuffy
July 7th, 2009, 08:08
Now you're talking ... if they're going to introduce all productive and player flyable aircraft, I might be interested.

Otherwise, an air combat sim with only two player flyable aircraft ... not exciting to me.

Gdavis101
July 7th, 2009, 11:21
Got mine yesterday in the midst of a a crowded house! Stayed up until 2AM, and got some more time with it this morning.. Simply magnificent!

I agree with the mission thing, if the plane isn't available neither should the mission..

I can't believe how well it runs on my system!

Major_Spittle
July 7th, 2009, 13:44
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/attach/jpg.gif

4 spads vs 3 fokkers, we cut them to ribbons. :pop4:

spotlope
July 7th, 2009, 13:53
The Oregon Escadrille is forming! I did an hour or so over the trenches last night, including some 1 vs. 1 training in the Fokker. Holy crap, I was able to just keep smokin' Spads until I ran out of ammo. Now I understand why the D.VIII's kept knocking me down when I was flyin' for the good guys.

Scratch
July 7th, 2009, 14:46
I knew y'all would like it:wiggle:

Major_Spittle
July 7th, 2009, 15:05
The Oregon Escadrille is forming! I did an hour or so over the trenches last night, including some 1 vs. 1 training in the Fokker. Holy crap, I was able to just keep smokin' Spads until I ran out of ammo. Now I understand why the D.VIII's kept knocking me down when I was flyin' for the good guys.

How do you join? I live by Portland.

I have been shredding AI Fokkers with my Spad, and have faired pretty will online vs humans. I do know I originally started flying a Fokker and was getting kills racked up well vs the AI but didn't fair to well vs humans.

The Spad do real well if you lighten them up by not fueling all the way up, setting your convergence out 300+ meters, and get rid of your bombs right off the bat.

I have found that the spads ability to outclimb and then out accellerate the D.VIII's is lethal. Just have to get used to using your throttle and being able to use your elevator and rudder in climbing turns and coast in behind the Fokkers.

forgeknight
July 7th, 2009, 17:42
Hopefully my copy will be here by Friday. Be nice to get together with a group from here and fly.

BananaBob
July 8th, 2009, 21:04
I got an AI and then started flying around but the sucker respawned and caught me unaware, LOL then he had the nerve to strafe me and kill me once I landed with a dead engine, ouch! :running:

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/334/20097944440.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2448/2009794498.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5100/20097945043.jpg

Lionheart
July 8th, 2009, 21:11
I am not an ace yet.. So I guess I still cant go in the pub yet.. arrghh..

I almost got a Pfalz today in my Spad. Almost.. Man, so many close calls..

I learned alot about tactics by setting in a flight with Auto Pilot running. How they do the 'run away' tactic, then turn and do the headon shots is pretty interesting. I am still having trouble though with visibility around the wing. And my TrackIR is worse 'on' then with using the HAT switch for scanning around me..

Bill

Major_Spittle
July 9th, 2009, 10:54
Has anyone been able to create a server since the patch?

Scratch
July 9th, 2009, 15:33
So how do y'all like it since the mini patch yesterday?

Major_Spittle
July 9th, 2009, 15:50
unfortunately I have been working since the patch came out and won't get a chance to try it until Sunday.

Did they fix the Field of View so it works at 1900X1200 resolution?

Lionheart
July 9th, 2009, 19:59
So how do y'all like it since the mini patch yesterday?

Worked fine for me.

Pretty cool how it downloads and intalls updates that easily. I wish I could work that into my own sim software.

Bill

anthony31
July 10th, 2009, 01:44
Hi Chaps,

I've been using this for a few weeks now and found it to be excellent and very very challenging!
Quick question for you if you don't mind - what do you think about the necessity to always be online when using it? Did it not put you off or at least worry you when buying it? I was lucky enough to get my hands on a free copy that we have in the office as I wasn't sure I would have brought it myself because of the online capers. Not an issue for you?
Thanks

Just got an email from Just Flight spruiking this game. I looked at the bottom and saw this:

Note: Rise of Flight requires online registration and an initial connection to the Internet each time you fly.

I thought, that can't be right. The online registration I can almost understand but connection to the internet each time I want to fly? Sorry Rise of Flight makers but that's a deal breaker for me. Pity, it looks like a nice game :( .

wombat666
July 10th, 2009, 02:21
Just got an email from Just Flight spruiking this game. I looked at the bottom and saw this:

Note: Rise of Flight requires online registration and an initial connection to the Internet each time you fly.

I thought, that can't be right. The online registration I can almost understand but connection to the internet each time I want to fly? Sorry Rise of Flight makers but that's a deal breaker for me. Pity, it looks like a nice game :( .

+1.
Despite my enthusiasm for WW1 aviation I'm NOT going to buy something I can't fly offline without online 'authorisation'.
Total stupidity.
:icon34:

Major_Spittle
July 10th, 2009, 06:28
Well we can thank the software theives for that. I am a realist, I know I won't be playing this game 3 or 4 years from now and I have internet and have had internet for 10+ years so I was willing to get the game knowing that their online requirements wouldn't effect me.

I hope they make a ton of money because the game can't be pirated. I hope that with all the extra money they continue to develop the game and continually release newer better flight sims.

DennyA
July 10th, 2009, 06:33
You know what? If it was 1999, I'd agree that the online requirement was onerous.

But it's 2009. Who doesn't have an always-on Internet connection on a PC that has a joystick connected to it? If this was Civilization 5 or another game that you might play on a plane using a laptop, sure, that'd be a valid complaint. But unless you're still using dial-up, I can't see why this is a real issue. (Sure, you can choose to make it an issue of principle. But in reality, it's no inconvenience at all.)

If you're not in the boonies on dial-up, and you still choose to skip the sim for that reason, that's sad, as it's an awesome game. And to see the flight sim market not jumping out to buy the first new combat flight simulation in SEVEN YEARS when it's a good sim doesn't say much for the future viability of the flight simulation genre.

Yes, the developers should have an "offline" option, like Steam does. Yes, they should fix the abysmal, horrible user interface and the ridiculous control configuration defaults. But under all of this, there's a fun, top-quality sim there, and we should support it and give feedback as paying customers of how they can improve things on the next round of patches or new sims.

Stickshaker
July 10th, 2009, 06:40
Excellent post, DennyA!

stiz
July 10th, 2009, 07:55
You know what? If it was 1999, I'd agree that the online requirement was onerous.

But it's 2009. Who doesn't have an always-on Internet connection on a PC that has a joystick connected to it? If this was Civilization 5 or another game that you might play on a plane using a laptop, sure, that'd be a valid complaint. But unless you're still using dial-up, I can't see why this is a real issue. (Sure, you can choose to make it an issue of principle. But in reality, it's no inconvenience at all.)

and what if the developer goes bust and the server dies? .. which you have to admit happens quite a bit with the smaller teams ...then your well and truely stuck! :kilroy:

Its not only that thats putting me off touching the thing .. the fact you only get 2 planes unless you buy extras is a just a big rip off to me. If the game came with 6/8 with the option of buying more than fine but at the moment this game costs more than Arma2 (£2 more when buying through just flight) and look at all the stuff in Arma2 :kilroy:

gajit
July 10th, 2009, 08:19
and what if the developer goes bust and the server dies? .. which you have to admit happens quite a bit with the smaller teams ...then your well and truely stuck! :kilroy:

Its not only that thats putting me off touching the thing .. the fact you only get 2 planes unless you buy extras is a just a big rip off to me. If the game came with 6/8 with the option of buying more than fine but at the moment this game costs more than Arma2 (£2 more when buying through just flight) and look at all the stuff in Arma2 :kilroy:

I agree Stiz - 2 flyable planes is a joke. Im going to hold off until the initial flurry of sales has gone past then they are bound to improve the deal even though I love that period of aviation. Meanwhile im off to blow something up in one of the ARMA2 choppers!!

gera
July 10th, 2009, 09:03
Thanks for all the info...so far for what I have read, I´ll wait for a while. Two planes!!!! and connecting to the net every time you want to play!!!! for the birds!!! How could I use it out in the beach house, there is no Internet there!!!!....crazy......Nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..WWI planes are not really my fad anyway....nothing lost.

rwmarth
July 10th, 2009, 09:08
4 included planes now :)

some1
July 10th, 2009, 09:35
So, without further delay, here is what we have planned for ROF in the coming weeks.

- On Friday July 10th we will give all North American and European customers the Albatros D5 and Nieuport 28 for free. We see that a misunderstanding about these aircraft has developed in the community. We would like to clear that up by making these planes available and we believe this decision will make several of our customers very happy. We value our reputation and the reputation of our publishers 777 Studios and Aerosoft, both now and in the future and do not want it to be tarnished by a misunderstanding.

- The Nieuport 17 can be purchased as a flyable aircraft at a rate of $7.62 (5.45 Euro) from our web-store beginning next week. We are testing the payment system now and we want to be sure the store functions correctly and our secure credit card purchasing system works as planned.

- The SE.5 and Pfalz D3 are currently in beta testing and are looking very sharp. They will be available in our web-store at the end of July.

http://riseofflight.com/Blogs/post/2009/07/10/Rise-of-Flight-Vision-Statement.aspx#continue

stiz
July 10th, 2009, 10:40
well that makes it a little more tempted ....... still a lot of money for what your getting .... a demo would be nice to have :engel016:

BananaBob
July 10th, 2009, 11:12
That was only fitting to provide the other 2 aircraft and all I was concerned about, all good now. :applause:

JT8D-9A
July 10th, 2009, 11:13
I hope Aerosoft will hurry up. I want it :kilroy:

P-12C
July 10th, 2009, 11:15
I've been playing it and greatly enjoying it.

Major_Spittle
July 10th, 2009, 11:30
well that makes it a little more tempted ....... still a lot of money for what your getting .... a demo would be nice to have :engel016:

Less than buying some planes for FSX, and NEVER has there or will there be a WWI bi-plane modeled as well as the ones in this game. It is impossible with the flight modeling, environmental flight modeling, and structural damage modeling/Flight Modeling for damage.

I can't wait until they use this game engine for WWII fighters. :ernae:

crashaz
July 10th, 2009, 11:32
Hey thats great to hear... will be picking this up this weekend. Well ordering at least.

Judging by the reviews I say we must support this simulation. As Denny (he who covered the flight simulator industry in it's heyday!) mentions... it has been 7 years!! The flight simulation industry needs our support... if it is as good as the word of mouth I have been seeing from other flight simulation members... then it most assuredly deserves our support.

Plus it does not hurt to have Paul give it a thumbs up. :icon_lol:

Major_Spittle
July 10th, 2009, 11:54
Just to throw fuel on the "Need to connect to their server to be able to play" fire.

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1004

Link to their " Announcement " thread.
Quotes below

Neoqb: "15-00 GMT - 16-00 GMT.
Services update."

Customer: "Does that mean we will not be able to use game at that time?"

Neoqb: "may be yes may be not ^)
temporarly server down is possible during this time."

This really irritates me, I never really considered that they might possibly have only one server to 'OK' people to play the damn game. :173go1:

Whitehawk
July 10th, 2009, 13:54
What's the lowest spec computer people have been able to run RoF on? I'm sorely tempted but I suspect my single core 3GHz, 3Gb RAM, 512Mb AGP Radeon HD3650 would meltdown..

BananaBob
July 10th, 2009, 14:49
Just started the game and the two planes were there, that's cool. Flew the Albatross and tore some stuff up, especially the plane, LOL :ernae:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6335/1rofa.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8435/2rofa.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5766/3rofa.jpg

anthony31
July 10th, 2009, 15:28

Well, I don't. Which is why this game is not for me. My flightsim computer isn't usually connected to the internet. I can connect it but that involves running an ethernet cable out the door into the next room. Maybe I should just get a router and set up a network and ... hang on! Why the hell should I have to spend money and jump through hoops just to run a piece of software? Bottom line it is my choice on whether I should buy Rise of Flight and for me the online registration isn't going to work so it's not an issue of principle for me. For others with an always on connection then it will be less of a problem (unless the ROF servers are down :) or the company goes bust).

I've managed to survive 40 years on this planet without Rise Of Flight so it's not going to worry me too much if I don't get this game.

It's a very fine line that developers need to tread here and they need to weigh up the risk of piracy versus the expectations of customers with regards to online registration (or any other copy protection method for that matter). For me, Rise of Flight crosses that line but if it works for you good luck I say.

JIMJAM
July 10th, 2009, 15:35
I am also on the fence with this one. From their forums and others it seems to be either it runs good or it doesnt. My success with Russian sims isnt good ex Blackshark.
Any reports from those running it on Vista 64, i7s?
I am sure its worth the $$$ I just want to avoid another hair pulling,forum searching all nighter just to get the sim to run.

pugsley
July 10th, 2009, 17:12
Runs well on my Q6600 Vista 64. A World War 1 fighter simulator is not for the nervous Nellies. Have a go, there will be no regrets.

gera
July 10th, 2009, 17:47
see that, their server goes down and you play marbles but paid much Muuula!!!!!...and no Gas!!!!! this is worse than 1983 technology....Mamma Mia!!!!!:pop4::pop4:

Major_Spittle
July 10th, 2009, 18:05
see that, their server goes down and you play marbles but paid much Muuula!!!!!...and no Gas!!!!! this is worse than 1983 technology....Mamma Mia!!!!!:pop4::pop4:

I hope they create back up servers and put them in different parts of the world.

I understand why they made it online authentication and I would have done the same thing. I just hope they support their customers with all the money they make.

heywooood
July 10th, 2009, 18:45
I am also on the fence with this one. From their forums and others it seems to be either it runs good or it doesnt. My success with Russian sims isnt good ex Blackshark.
Any reports from those running it on Vista 64, i7s?
I am sure its worth the $$$ I just want to avoid another hair pulling,forum searching all nighter just to get the sim to run.

well I got it up and running after looking at the forums for about an hour...

load it and get the hangar screen but not at the correct resolution and off center - go to the main folder and open the 'data' folder - scroll down to the 'startup cfg' file - open it and in the 4th paragraph called [key = graphics] go down and edit the lines full_height = ___ and full _width = __

and enter your monitors native resolution - save and close.

then there was the throttle recognition that was missing - I use the Sidewinder II (without FF) and RoF didn't 'see' my throttle lever so that was an easy fix too... you can find it in several places at the RoF forums.

then I had to learn that 'Post Effects' was not to be enabled unless you have a face melting rig...so all boxes are unchecked and now RoF is very fine - no jaggies with Nvidia setup to handle the AA/AF etc...

Thats all the tweaking it needs really - and that was before the update so I think things are already better than that.

They made a good businees decision to give the Albatros and Nieuport 28 away and that new Se5 is going to be a real blast. So the RoF guys are trying to do right by us so - anyways - I'm happy with RoF but I'm sure that those who have decided to hate on it wont change their minds over this. Too bad for them that they would deprive themselves of a nice, inexpensive diversion...you can almost hear me crying over it :guinness:

eddie
July 10th, 2009, 19:08
Will someone from this thread check something for me? Go back to page 5 and scroll down the page, and check some of the pictures posted by some of the guys. Looks like their image hosting service might have been hacked!

Here's what I've seen here and at other forums!

anthony31
July 10th, 2009, 19:24
Will someone from this thread check something for me? Go back to page 5 and scroll down the page, and check some of the pictures posted by some of the guys. Looks like their image hosting service might have been hacked!

Here's what I've seen here and at other forums!

I'm getting the same hacked images.

PS. I don't hate ROF. I would have happily bought it. It is just that the online registration system isn't convenient for me. No big deal really, I'll just spend the money on some other nice inexpensive diversion :) .

heywooood
July 10th, 2009, 19:33
okeedoke:wiggle:

Scratch
July 10th, 2009, 20:09
The first addon on aircraft, the Nieuport 17, will cost only $7.62!!
Dang! That's almost freeware:ernae::applause:

heywooood
July 10th, 2009, 20:45
yes the freeware is nice...

BananaBob I am also liking the Alby....it flies very smoothly for an old kite, and the 28 is speedy although those sidewinder MG's are difficult to aim with lol

BananaBob
July 10th, 2009, 22:28
Yeah, couldn't aim worth a crap with that side gun combo, LOL! Lost my wheel getting to close on a gun run, :), fun flying under the bridges too.

spotlope
July 11th, 2009, 00:18
I kinda dig having to stick my head out in the slipstream to aim the N28's gun. Makes the TrackIR even more worth it than it was before! :icon_lol:

Lionheart
July 11th, 2009, 08:03
Yeah, couldn't aim worth a crap with that side gun combo, LOL! Lost my wheel getting to close on a gun run, :), fun flying under the bridges too.

Oh man! I tried a bridge yesterday, lolol... Found out if your wheels touch the water, you do the wildest nose-over manuver, spraying wood and cloth everywhere....

eeks! :kilroy:

BananaBob
July 11th, 2009, 08:46
Oh man! I tried a bridge yesterday, lolol... Found out if your wheels touch the water, you do the wildest nose-over manuver, spraying wood and cloth everywhere....

eeks! :kilroy:

Happened here too, wanted to see what happens when the wheels touch water and...... end over end, LOL. Gonna go fly head-on into that train today, full throttle, LOL, just love the physics. :ernae:

Major_Spittle
July 11th, 2009, 09:33
Happened here too, wanted to see what happens when the wheels touch water and...... end over end, LOL. Gonna go fly head-on into that train today, full throttle, LOL, just love the physics. :ernae:
I bounced off a plane last week in multiplayer. We were both dialed in a few meters behind the same Fokker (Kinda like Maveric and Iceman in top gun). We both went into a hard right bank lighting up the enemy and next thing I know my plane was bumped from underneath and went into a spin. I recovered and saw parts of his wings falling past me.

I never saw the other pilot eject. :gameoff:

MSW
July 11th, 2009, 10:19
Does anyone know if Rise Of Flight is being planned to be released in retail stores such as Best Buy and etc.?

spotlope
July 11th, 2009, 10:26
It's already available in some retail stores in the US. Several people have mentioned getting it at Fry's Electronics, but they're a small chain, limited to the West Coast and Southwest. Don't know if Best Buy is scheduled to sell it at some point or not.

Gdavis101
July 11th, 2009, 10:49
has anyone else gotten the two free aircraft they are talking about on their site? I found the patch, but cannot locate the free planes.

d0mokun
July 11th, 2009, 11:23
has anyone else gotten the two free aircraft they are talking about on their site? I found the patch, but cannot locate the free planes.

Load your game, they're already there.

neoqb activated them via the server so that all accounts can access them.

BananaBob
July 11th, 2009, 11:28
Yeah, when I started my game yesterday, I had two badges, one for each plane.:ernae:

Major_Spittle
July 11th, 2009, 12:07
Does anyone know if Rise Of Flight is being planned to be released in retail stores such as Best Buy and etc.?

I was in a Game Stop or EB a month ago and they were supposed to be getting it.

Gdavis101
July 11th, 2009, 12:11
Cool, I had thought about that after I posted.. I haven't had the game on for the last few days..

Scratch
July 11th, 2009, 15:36
Gonna go fly head-on into that train today, full throttle, LOL, just love the physics. :ernae:

Get you some Marine!! Headbutt the snot out of that sucker:bump:

stiz
July 12th, 2009, 10:04
ok with 4 planes i'm now tempted .... anyone willing to take some screens with the lowest settings? its all i'll be able to play at going by the system specs :isadizzy:

MudMarine
July 12th, 2009, 11:08
Get you some Marine!! Headbutt the snot out of that sucker:bump:

OH-RAH!! Death Before Dishonor!!:icon_lol:

Should be getting my copy on Monday! Can't wait! Damn amazon shipping is slow!! I there a server the SOH crew has been hanging around on? I always make a good bullet sponge!hehe

Major_Spittle
July 12th, 2009, 11:51
No more US servers since the last patch and no way to start a server.

They need to get this figured out.

MudMarine
July 12th, 2009, 11:52
No more US servers since the last patch and no way to start a server.

They need to get this figured out.

Wow! Not good!

Major_Spittle
July 12th, 2009, 13:19
Wow! Not good!

Your external and internal IP address has to be the same to run a server right now. This means NO ROUTER. I threw away my 30ft cat5 cable when I went wireless 10 damn years ago!!!!

I can't even set up a DMZ for serving. blahhhhhh.

The Soviets, umm Russians keep blowing me out of the sky on their server because of ping time. Now they're getting big heads because of the Yank that they pwn like a noob. :gameoff:

I am going to have to put in Rocky 4 to reaffirm Americas superiority. :ernae:

BananaBob
July 12th, 2009, 13:22
Your external and internal IP address has to be the same to run a server right now. This means NO ROUTER. I threw away my 30ft cat5 cable when I went wireless 10 damn years ago!!!!

I can't even set up a DMZ for serving. blahhhhhh.

The Soviets, umm Russians keep blowing me out of the sky on their server because of ping time. Now they're getting big heads because of the Yank that they pwn like a noob. :gameoff:

I am going to have to put in Rocky 4 to reaffirm Americas superiority. :ernae:

LOL "I must break you"

MudMarine
July 12th, 2009, 13:55
We're going to have to do something about those Ruskies!!:icon_lol:

BananaBob
July 12th, 2009, 14:41
How a Jarhead stops a train, LOL! :ernae:

piperarcherpilot
July 12th, 2009, 14:42
As for the question about US chain stores stocking it, here's my experience:

I called Best Buy, Target, and Walmart this weekend and none had ever heard of it. Gamestop said he understood there was interest in their chain picking it up, but the first stock deadline came and went so he was pretty sure they wouldnt be handling it.

Hmm...sucks...

Major_Spittle
July 12th, 2009, 15:41
A guy in Canada put ROF on his laptop and plugged it into his modem directly to create a server. Finally! I wish I had a second copy of the game so I could hook up my extra laptop as a server. This is ridiculous, they better patch soon. I can't believe that they didn't catch this during Beta? Like nobody in Beta had a computer behind a router, makes me wonder if this games was developed on Vodka. :kilroy:

Hope they hire a few Programmers in America to help them out. The game engine seems decent enough but the game appears to be just thrown together.

DennyA
July 12th, 2009, 16:14
Yeah, the actual game is awesome, but apparently there's nobody on the team with any training in user interface design. Ugh.

MudMarine
July 12th, 2009, 16:14

Now that's going down in style! I'll give it a 9.5 for the graceful back flip!:applause:

BananaBob
July 12th, 2009, 16:40
Now that's going down in style! I'll give it a 9.5 for the graceful back flip!:applause:

LOL, I need to make a movie of it, it's just so better in motion :ernae:

Scratch
July 12th, 2009, 17:25

OUTSTANDING MARINE!!!!!!!

Just when he thought he had you he never thought you would lay across the tracks to derail him.:ernae::jump:

Scratch
July 12th, 2009, 17:28
OH-RAH!! Death Before Dishonor!!:icon_lol:

Should be getting my copy on Monday! Can't wait! Damn amazon shipping is slow!! I there a server the SOH crew has been hanging around on? I always make a good bullet sponge!hehe

Mud, when you fire this baby up you are gonna crap your boots and utes:icon_lol:
Smoooth as silk and plenty of opportunities to be a high velocity projectile interceptor.:gameoff::rocket:

MudMarine
July 12th, 2009, 18:36
I ain't going to be no bullet sponge for some frenchie!!:icon_lol: I'm a shark, circling, waiting for the right moment to strike........then move in for the kill! Can't wait to put some notches on my kill stick!

Lionheart
July 12th, 2009, 19:06
I ain't going to be no bullet sponge for some frenchie!!:icon_lol: I'm a shark, circling, waiting for the right moment to strike........then move in for the kill! Can't wait to put some notches on my kill stick!

lolololol.... Dang!

Im glad you're on our side!

:d

heywooood
July 12th, 2009, 20:12
more screenshots...

heywooood
July 12th, 2009, 20:17
I like the way RoF has modeled the no mans land smoke and fumes...

the lighting in this sim is also f'n well done.

Have you guys seen the 'Smackdown' SP missions posted at Simhq in the RoF forum?

the 1v1 has been fixed so that only the opposition planes will challenge you - and - some 1v2 ace level combat is available in the pack as well - its a good thing. :icon29:

check out this link and click where indicated in the first post http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2814942/Some_RoF_Missions.html#Post2814942

this post tells you how and where to put the missions http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2816288/Single_Missions_player_distrib.html#Post2816288

without making the folders, the missions will show up in the hangar screen in RoF but they will be less organized - you can call the folders whatever you want to call them BtW...

BananaBob
July 12th, 2009, 22:01
Man, love the sunset or sunrise shot, great atmosphere Heywooood! :ernae:

MudMarine
July 13th, 2009, 10:38
Finally, all set up! New set ups are always a pain, the learning curve wasn't too bad. Took off, shot up a train and landed..... bit bumpy but I walked way with no repairs needed!:icon_lol: Now for some more training before entering the fray!

spotlope
July 13th, 2009, 12:06
I finally took off successfully over the weekend... now to perfect my landings. These old stringbags are a right pain to fly, truth be told. That's part of the charm, I guess. :icon_lol:

MudMarine
July 13th, 2009, 12:31
4 missions = 3 kills! My third mission a spad ran into my port wing tip and I took a dirt-nap!:sleep::icon_lol: This game is awesome! Just have to work on my stick sensitivity a bit, the nose of my fokker keeps bobbing like a cork. Have to check out the albatros and see which bird fits me more.

Lionheart
July 13th, 2009, 12:54
I like the way RoF has modeled the no mans land smoke and fumes...

Ive had to put down close to No Mans Land, and as you get close, explosions start going off. They must be proximity-activated. Very cool. Even the river gets hit.

You cannot land there though unless you are lucky enough to find a clearing around through those tall burnt out tree trunks. They will knock your wings off and send you straight into the charred ground....

Bill

JayKae
July 13th, 2009, 14:45
The flight dynamics have quite a bit of a learning curve, however once you get the hang of it, it flies like silk. Each plane does have a different feel to it as such and the environment ESPECIALLY with TrackIR is amazing, from sunglare to lens blinding, the thrill of having that Spad in your sights, turning into the sun, losing it and then finding it is on your tail... is mindboggling, I sit here with sweat in my hands flying high over a field of flak guns because even as much as a near miss, exploding in thin air will throw your plane about and can even give you structural damage, the animations are smooth as silk and nothing and I mean nothing beats being able to shoot those Spads down after 20 minutes of flying around eachother like angy stags, trying to outdo eachother. The AI is smart and seems to adapt to the situation as needed.

Fun one that happened to me today, flying over an ally field with them trying to shoot me out of the sky with flak, they hit their own Spad and I saw it explode in a million pieces behind me and it has a slowmotion function.... NeoQB are the MASTERS of damage modelling, that is for sure http://orbxsystems.com/forums/Smileys/default/smiley.gif http://orbxsystems.com/forums/Smileys/default/smiley.gif

MudMarine
July 13th, 2009, 15:22
I'm happy, I just finnished my first career mission with a Spad kill. For me the handling characteristics seem pretty natural. I've been playing OFF since the begining. And I enjoy flying WWI birds in FS9/FSX. So I think that has helped me a lot! Gunnery is pretty easy.......don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes! I have a sore neck from twisting to look over my shoulder! To me that's the most critical element of a furball....they always get you from behind! The hardest part is navigation! I need some work in that area but I have a pretty good sense of direction.

JIMJAM
July 13th, 2009, 15:28
Ok Im in. :running: Just ordered the sim.
Im running a I7,6 gigs,vista 64,native res at 1920x1080.4870 1 gig card and the Saitek x52.
Any "I learned the hard way" tips,tricks,basic setup and "If I woulda knowns" welcomed.
I understand programming the x52 is tricky at best so any advice on that welcomed also. Diggin out my scarf and goggles, Thanks, Jim

BananaBob
July 13th, 2009, 15:28
I'm happy, I just finnished my first career mission with a Spad kill. For me the handling characteristics seem pretty natural. I've been playing OFF since the begining. And I enjoy flying WWI birds in FS9/FSX. So I think that has helped me a lot! Gunnery is pretty easy.......don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes! I have a sore neck from twisting to look over my shoulder! To me that's the most critical element of a furball....they always get you from behind! The hardest part is navigation! I need some work in that area but I have a pretty good sense of direction.

Oh yeah! Like many have said, the interface could be better but what they do have in the way of action, is addicting, lol. OH RAH!! Great shots too Kae!:applause::applause::applause:

MudMarine
July 13th, 2009, 16:30
Doing a little formation flying with the Spad crew. I hate being tail end charlie!! Makes you feel like a sitting duck! I enjoy the Fokker DVII the most; I was just checking out what the Spad could do. Can't wait for some online action with the SOH crew!!!! The SOH JadgerFlieger (sp)?!

Musicman
July 13th, 2009, 17:53
You mean this how you land in no-mans land?

BananaBob
July 13th, 2009, 18:38
You mean this how you land in no-mans land?

Only way to land there, LOL :ernae:

MudMarine
July 15th, 2009, 08:52
Hide behind a church! hehe I ran out of ammo and tried to run away! Those dang Spads are so fast all my hiding behind hills and in valley's did no good! He still caught up to me! So I figured if I'm going to get straffed and killed on the ground I might as well be as close to a church as possible! It must have worked becuase he didn't shoot me up!:icon_lol: I live to fight another day!!

SolarEagle
July 15th, 2009, 14:46
EDIT: Nevermind, I just found the post below:

Load your game, they're already there.

neoqb activated them via the server so that all accounts can access them.

ryanbatc
July 15th, 2009, 17:44
The game sound realllllly interesting, except all these bugs I hear about, and the fact that you need to be online in order to play single player.....sigh

:angryfir:

Lionheart
July 15th, 2009, 20:04
I cannot seem to get TrackIR working right in ROF.

If I turn my head, I see the seat. If I look up, it either doesnt move, or I instantly see the sky, no in-between positions...

I have tried reloading my settings (updates) and set ROF as main setting, then tried Flight, Default, Combat Flight settings, and all did the same thing.

Any idea's? Surely I am just doing something wrong. :isadizzy:

Bill

BananaBob
July 15th, 2009, 20:09
I cannot seem to get TrackIR working right in ROF.

If I turn my head, I see the seat. If I look up, it either doesnt move, or I instantly see the sky, no in-between positions...

I have tried reloading my settings (updates) and set ROF as main setting, then tried Flight, Default, Combat Flight settings, and all did the same thing.

Any idea's? Surely I am just doing something wrong. :isadizzy:

Bill

Might want to check the settings for the game, there is an option to have snap views instead of smooth panning, that could be it?

spotlope
July 15th, 2009, 20:18
I had to modify my RoF profile for the TrackIR to make it more sensitive -- that is, less head movement for more in-game head movement. I was having some problems with it wigging out when I looked up, too. Also, (and I would never have guessed this) updating my sound drivers made the TrackIR and the whole game much smoother. You never know where the weak link is hiding out in a PC.

spotlope
July 15th, 2009, 20:20
The game sound realllllly interesting, except all these bugs I hear about, and the fact that you need to be online in order to play single player.....sigh

:angryfir:

I haven't hit too many of the bugs yet, but then again I haven't had a chance to fly it much. So far in single-player mode, things work pretty well. As for the online requirement, I don't even notice it. Guess I would if the sign-in server had ever been down, but so far it's been up whenever I started the sim.

heywooood
July 15th, 2009, 20:26
was that the Realtek driver solution Bill? ...if so - it helped mein RoF too...

@ Lionheart Bill - I don't use the Track Ir system just yet - just the ol' caveman hatter thumb dookey for me - the wife would pitch me outside if I put that thing on my forehead / hat / helmet - er whatnot...

here's a gratuitous screenshot though...

BananaBob
July 15th, 2009, 20:28
I'm happy to support capitalism, especially in Russia as long as the product is worth it to me, I'll play along.:ernae:

lucas81
July 16th, 2009, 00:31
I decided to order my copy in flightsim store. Funny, it will be the fastest way to get it :) Want some SDK to export our Oeffag D.III into the game, heheh.

Lucas

MudMarine
July 16th, 2009, 05:08
was that the Realtek driver solution Bill? ...if so - it helped mein RoF too...

@ Lionheart Bill - I don't use the Track Ir system just yet - just the ol' caveman hatter thumb dookey for me - the wife would pitch me outside if I put that thing on my forehead / hat / helmet - er whatnot...

here's a gratuitous screenshot though...

Sometimes ya just got to be a man and get pitched outside! The dog house ain't all that bad! I understand my dog better than my old lady anyhow! hehe:icon_lol: My opinion is that my TrackIR is the best investment I've ever made for Flight Simming!

MudMarine
July 16th, 2009, 05:25
P.S. I was reviewing some earlier post here.........sounds like you all need a leason in Marine Corps Aviation history! Marines look at any new piece of technology and think....."hmmmm, how can that be used to kill stuff?" Airplanes were no diffrent. Marines invented air-to-ground support and were using it long before WWI came around (the Banana wars: no Bob wasn't involved:icon_lol:). The Corps did have an aviation (1st MAF) presence in europe but Pershing had us sub hunting and bomber escourting. Although Marines did score some air to air victories but they were very few. Seems Gen. Pershing didn't like Marines very well.....we embarassed him a few times. hehe Although he did later praise Marines saying that he wised he had a few more fighting men like the Marines.

Anyhow, I know you all were joking!:engel016: I just can't resist a chance to talk about our beloved Corps! I am a Marine Corps historian after all; guess it's one of the reason I was invited to help open up the Marine Corps Museum a few years ago. S/F just proud to be one of the few!!

Yes we do need a RoF thread! Maybe we can show the rest of these yahoo's what a civilived forum can be?

heywooood
July 16th, 2009, 05:31
Sometimes ya just got to be a man and get pitched outside! The dog house ain't all that bad! I understand my dog better than my old lady anyhow! hehe:icon_lol: My opinion is that my TrackIR is the best investment I've ever made for Flight Simming!

I meant it more as a baseball metaphor...pitch me outside - as in 'nothing to hit'... if you get my drift

MudMarine
July 16th, 2009, 06:31
I meant it more as a baseball metaphor...pitch me outside - as in 'nothing to hit'... if you get my drift

:icon_lol: Drift gotten :icon_lol: I've been in that dog house before also!

JIMJAM
July 16th, 2009, 10:07
Ive been told rudder pedals are a must for these planes. I am using the X-52 and wondering what pedals if any are compatable with the x-52.
If not or its more trouble than its worth, whats a good hotas setup with rudder pedals?
No yokes as I fly helis and jets. Thanks, Jim

Scratch
July 16th, 2009, 13:28
P.S. I was reviewing some earlier post here.........sounds like you all need a leason in Marine Corps Aviation history! Marines look at any new piece of technology and think....."hmmmm, how can that be used to kill stuff?" Airplanes were no diffrent. Marines invented air-to-ground support and were using it long before WWI came around (the Banana wars: no Bob wasn't involved:icon_lol:). The Corps did have an aviation (1st MAF) presence in europe but Pershing had us sub hunting and bomber escourting. Although Marines did score some air to air victories but they were very few. Seems Gen. Pershing didn't like Marines very well.....we embarassed him a few times. hehe Although he did later praise Marines saying that he wised he had a few more fighting men like the Marines.

Anyhow, I know you all were joking!:engel016: I just can't resist a chance to talk about our beloved Corps! I am a Marine Corps historian after all; guess it's one of the reason I was invited to help open up the Marine Corps Museum a few years ago. S/F just proud to be one of the few!!

Yes we do need a RoF thread! Maybe we can show the rest of these yahoo's what a civilived forum can be?

Years ago while I was in college I worked for a guy whose dad served with A.A. Cunningham in WWI. He was a feisty old coot.

Scratch
July 16th, 2009, 13:34
Check out the soon to be released Pfalz D.IIIa!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KGaWGfjJWs&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsimhq.com%2Fforum%2Fubbthreads.p hp%2Ftopics%2F2819710%2FIntroducing_the_Pfalz_D_II Ia.html&feature=player_embedded

Major_Spittle
July 16th, 2009, 13:41

Yeah, the Navy has a proud heritage. :kilroy:

lucas81
July 16th, 2009, 13:51
Check out the soon to be released Pfalz D.IIIa!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KGaWGfjJWs&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsimhq.com%2Fforum%2Fubbthreads.p hp%2Ftopics%2F2819710%2FIntroducing_the_Pfalz_D_II Ia.html&feature=player_embedded

And there is SE5a promo as well! Finally some British plane in game...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpGva7i-S2M&feature=related

Lucas

MudMarine
July 16th, 2009, 14:59
Yeah, the Navy has a proud heritage. :kilroy:

Oh that's right, the Marine Corps is a Department of the navy......the men's department! hehe:icon_lol: Oh and congress did "create" the Marine Corps before the navy. So we have senority.

Scratch
July 16th, 2009, 15:11
oh that's right, the marine corps is a department of the navy......the men's department! Hehe:icon_lol: Oh and congress did "create" the marine corps before the navy. So we have senority.

oooraah!!!!!!!!!

BananaBob
July 16th, 2009, 15:13
Oh that's right, the Marine Corps is a Department of the navy......the men's department! hehe:icon_lol: Oh and congress did "create" the Marine Corps before the navy. So we have senority.
LOL, good one! :medals::medals:

Akatsuki
July 17th, 2009, 07:20
Ive been told rudder pedals are a must for these planes. I am using the X-52 and wondering what pedals if any are compatable with the x-52.
If not or its more trouble than its worth, whats a good hotas setup with rudder pedals?
No yokes as I fly helis and jets. Thanks, Jim

There's the "Pro Flight Rudder Pedals" from Saitek but i'm happy with the X-52 "Z" axis.:jump:

Flork
July 17th, 2009, 11:23
I'm using CH rudder pedals with my X52 in ROF-other than needing to invert the axis they work fine. Still haven't got it to work well with TH2GO-too zoomed in. And the wait time for the 1st mission is sooo long. But pretty to fly.

JIMJAM
July 17th, 2009, 12:58
The sim came in today. Took awhile to get the gun trigger and reload to stick in the config. Sim looks cartoony to me but I will turn the color down and fool with the settings but it seems that if I turn off all in game graphics settings and force ATI catalyst with a profile the game looks better.
Well after 30 minutes flying the first single one on one, my wrist is tired and I have not hit a dam thing. I have laid hundreds of bullets on that plane and it just keeps on flying. No smoke, parts coming off.
I have the saitek rudders on the way as my stick rudder pot is worn out from all the FSX helis Ive flown. Either that are I am the worst shot ever.
I was looking for a challenge and think I found it. Now I understand why many ww1 pilots just landed and had a duel. It was a hell of alot easier.

Scratch
July 17th, 2009, 13:02
I had to de-saturate the colors on my ATI card for it to not look so brite and colorful.

SolarEagle
July 17th, 2009, 17:38
I just got it! But so far I'm a bit disappointed. :frown: For starters what does it take to get rid of the shimmering in the distance? It's quite bad, almost spoils the experience, and I can't get supersampling to work with this.

Also my zoom function does not work from spot view, though it does work from the cockpit. Am I missing something? :redface:

I in fact haven't done the training mission yet, but I don't imagine either of these would be answered by those.

Thanks

SolarEagle
July 17th, 2009, 17:40
Now I understand why many ww1 pilots just landed and had a duel.

:icon_lol: I just pictured that and had a good laugh.

BananaBob
July 17th, 2009, 18:01
I just got it! But so far I'm a bit disappointed. :frown: For starters what does it take to get rid of the shimmering in the distance? It's quite bad, almost spoils the experience, and I can't get supersampling to work with this.

Also my zoom function does not work from spot view, though it does work from the cockpit. Am I missing something? :redface:

I in fact haven't done the training mission yet, but I don't imagine either of these would be answered by those.

Thanks

I don't think AA or AF work with those Post Effects on, I don't like them and I like the look of the game better without those on, so turning that off might help you. As for the distance shimmering, I get that too, it seems to be a low setting on the Level Of Detail or LOD, wonder if there is a setting like FSX that can be manipulated?

spotlope
July 17th, 2009, 18:42
Shimmering in the distance is usually controlled by your anisotropic filtering settings, so you might have a look at those and tweak around with them. Honestly, I hadn't noticed the spot view zooming issue. I'm usually in the cockpit, which is usually on fire. :icon_lol:

heywooood
July 17th, 2009, 18:59
the shimmering effect is stronger at lower altitudes but if you have the 'Post Effects' checked in the RoF settings GUI - then please uncheck it and all of the boxes below it.

next set the ingame AA / AF to 4x and 8x? I think - not looking at it just now.

(if you have nhancer - then set the AA / AF in there instead.)

the Post Effects (if checked) uncouples the AA / AF for many users although some people say they are not affected by this...? an FSX like riddle I guess.

see if that helps you out any.

BananaBob
July 17th, 2009, 19:07
Once you get into a furball, all that distance ugliness leaves as you are only worried about 300m out around you, LOL :ernae:

SolarEagle
July 17th, 2009, 19:19
Once you get into a furball, all that distance ugliness leaves as you are only worried about 300m out around you, LOL :ernae:

Good point! lol Thanks for the tips guys, I'll give it a go.

Scratch
July 19th, 2009, 13:34
The N17 is avaliable at the ROF store now. It's tricky in the turns, but is a pretty good ground strafer.

JIMJAM
July 19th, 2009, 15:44
I had to order a set of Saitek rudder pedals. After 2 days I cant hit crap. Even ground targets its like balancing a marble on a bowling ball during a earth quake.
My rudder pot in the x-52 stick is acting up. When running the calibration program, you can just touch the stick and the bar jumps side to side. Even with a generous deadzone, just mving the stick forwards or back and the rudder bar moves. Barely noticable in FSX but it makes ROF impossible.

I am running a 1 gig 4870, no ocing and still fooling with the settings. My best picture is with all the games vid settings off and letting the cards cat settings control it. Even so, I still get the sparkles and distance jaggies but like FSX, they seem to come and go,get better and worse. Lile alot of you, I am too busy trying to avoi dbeing shot down to worry to much about sight seeing.

Scratch
July 19th, 2009, 17:15
I feel your pain, my old X-45 is on it's last legs. The throttle is still good, but the joystick is wobbly big time.

heywooood
July 19th, 2009, 17:58
well I had to buy it - I like the spirit of the RoF team, they are putting forth an effort and I appreciate that.

IanHenry
July 19th, 2009, 22:26
Scratch & JimJam,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I seem to recall a new force feedback joystick & rudder pedal set being released a few months ago but I can’t remember who made it, does anyone else remember it? <o:p></o:p>
I a getting a little fed up with constant nagging problems with my Saitk X52 pro / rudder pedals and yoke.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Regards,<o:p></o:p>
Ian<o:p></o:p>

spotlope
July 20th, 2009, 06:38
Ian, you might be thinking of Logitech's upcoming offering. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/172/6017&cl=us,en

IanHenry
July 20th, 2009, 07:29
Yes I think that's the one. It looks rather nice, but I don't suppose it will be cheap!

Ian

d0mokun
July 20th, 2009, 07:53
Off topic? Mebbe. I'm using my FFB2 joystick that I dug out of a seriously dusty box in the cupboard. RoF with force-feedback is a different game. Forces even adjust when you're throttling up on the ground. Awesome.

I can't fly the new-Nieuport at all though.

SolarEagle
July 20th, 2009, 14:51
well I had to buy it - I like the spirit of the RoF team, they are putting forth an effort and I appreciate that.

That's nice external closeup. Are you able to zoom in and out from external view view? I am unable to do so. +/- works to zoom in the cockpit, but not from external view.

Scratch
July 20th, 2009, 15:15
That's nice external closeup. Are you able to zoom in and out from external view view? I am unable to do so. +/- works to zoom in the cockpit, but not from external view.

I use my mouse wheel for external zooming in and out.

heywooood
July 20th, 2009, 15:20

in addition - in external view...you can hold down the right mouse button and move the mouse forward and backward to zoom in and out....

SolarEagle
July 20th, 2009, 15:55
Sweet, I'll give it a try. Thanks gents.

SolarEagle
July 20th, 2009, 17:40
Ok, looks like the mouse wheel will zoom in/out, and the right-click-drag moves the camera in/out, like ctrl +/- does in FSX. That should be all I need for screenshots! Thanks again.

SolarEagle
July 20th, 2009, 19:45
Sorry for all the questions, but I can't find where the screenshots dump too. My FRAPS isn't working with this, so I tried the screenshot key(prnt scrn) but can't find the dump folder. :frown:

By the way turning off post processing solved my AA issues.

BananaBob
July 20th, 2009, 20:05
When I hit print screen button, they go directly to the main RoF folder, to wherever you installed it. :ernae: I'm happy too they made this very screenshot friendly! :applause:

Lionheart
July 20th, 2009, 20:41
Man...! I had so many lucky shots tonight and I still couldnt hit it!

arrghh...

I guess if a barn was 3 feet in front of me, I would miss it as well. I feel like that guy in FlyBoys that couldnt hit anything, so they figured he was a German spy.

:gameoff:

At least I wasnt shot down this time! I figured out I had my TrackIR just a bit off angle. This time, I could see over and under the wings perfectly. Really really helps. These AI planes are pretty darn good pilots....

Bill

IanHenry
July 21st, 2009, 02:15
Great, my copy of ROF has just arrived this morning. Do the two extra 'free' aircraft download automatically with the update program or do you have to download them yourself?

Regards,
Ian

BananaBob
July 21st, 2009, 02:28
Great, my copy of ROF has just arrived this morning. Do the two extra 'free' aircraft download automatically with the update program or do you have to download them yourself?

Regards,
Ian

They'll show up automatically when you start the game and connect. :ernae:

IanHenry
July 21st, 2009, 02:38
Thanks Bob.

Ian

JIMJAM
July 21st, 2009, 09:09
Ive only flown free flight one one none and ground attacks and was very impressed with the peformance. All graphics full except post effects and the sim was smooth.
Last night I tried my first missions ,a delivery and a recon ecort and SCEEEEEECH :isadizzy:. ROF was a slide show. Unflyably slow and jerky.
I am going to play around with it later but wondering if additional ai or weather was the cause of the BIG performance hit.

spotlope
July 21st, 2009, 09:46
Ive only flown free flight one one none and ground attacks and was very impressed with the peformance. All graphics full except post effects and the sim was smooth.
Last night I tried my first missions ,a delivery and a recon ecort and SCEEEEEECH :isadizzy:. ROF was a slide show. Unflyably slow and jerky.
I am going to play around with it later but wondering if additional ai or weather was the cause of the BIG performance hit.

I noticed a big hit in the missions, too. Best guess is that it's the increased number of AI planes and vehicles, combined with nastier weather. If you turn back a few settings, it seems to run well enough, at least on my rig.

IanHenry
July 21st, 2009, 11:35
I can't get RoF to recognise my Saitek rudder pedals and the posts on the forum are a bit vague.

Ian

spotlope
July 21st, 2009, 12:19
I can't get RoF to recognise my Saitek rudder pedals and the posts on the forum are a bit vague.

Ian

I'm not having any trouble with my Saitek pedals and RoF, Ian. Do they show up properly in your inputs control panel?

JIMJAM
July 21st, 2009, 12:21
Oh great. My Saitek pedals should be here Weds.
I have not even flown the campaign, just 2 missions and its getting a little old. Maybe I am just frustrated that I cannot hit anything and alot of my Saitek settings are not sticking. The rudder pedals were to be the games savior. If those prove to be difficult to setup I might get back to FSX and let this sim mature some.