PDA

View Full Version : Windows 64 bit. Does it benefit FSX?

SirBenn21
June 27th, 2009, 05:21
Basically what the title asks?

And also in general kind of way, when coming to gaming and work. Are developers building the 64 bit into there programs?

Ben

harleyman
June 27th, 2009, 05:38
In a short answer....No...

FSX is not going to use that 64 bit interface ...And now never will...

Most games out now really don't use it eighter...

There are probably some being developed that will in the future...

Its like the i7 core chips..They also don't out the box use all the cores too! For FSX anyways.

SirBenn21
June 27th, 2009, 05:48
Thanks Harelyman

Must be difficult to program with 64bit in mind or it does not serve any real noticable affect. oh well.

Ben

Cobra8472
June 27th, 2009, 06:30
Essentially, 64bits does not give any considerable CPU performance increase. Sure, it's a bit more effective in arithmetic calculations, but not much else.

On the other hand, 64bits does give you access to more than 4GB of ram, which surely is a good thing when it comes to FS X. Even programs that natively do not support such quantities can be made to do so through simple windows changes.

Bone
June 27th, 2009, 06:38
Well, it may be usefull. After setting my FSX.cfg Texture Bandwidth from 40 down to 10, I've been getting the Out Of Available Memory box after about 5 minutes of flying. I had changed the Level Of Detail to 8.5 some time ago and it all worked great until changing the Texture Bandwidth.

I have four gigs of RAM, plus what's on the video card. I can't help but think that if I had Vista 64 with more RAM I would be able to run the sim at a Texture Bandwidth of 10 successfully.

harleyman
June 27th, 2009, 07:31

On the other hand, 64bits does give you access to more than 4GB of ram, which surely is a good thing when it comes to FS X. Even programs that natively do not support such quantities can be made to do so through simple windows changes.

Great point Cobra... If you are having issues with FSX, and need to really tweak the config for stutters and LOD issues, then it is nice to use more Ram that a 64 bit system allows...

IanP
June 27th, 2009, 09:24
I have a dual-boot system, Windows XP32 and Vista64, with 6Gb of RAM and a 1Gb EAH3870X2 graphics card.

On XP, by the time the OS has nicked 512kb of RAM and the graphics card has pinched 1Gb to ghost, the sim has about 1.5Gb of RAM left to play with. In Vista, the OS takes 1Gb (b***y Vista), the graphics card takes 1Gb, but the sim has 4Gb to play with. Needless to say, it runs a lot more smoothly and although the frame rate is no higher, it has a tendency to stick at the lock, rather than dipping regularly below it.

I'd thoroughly recommend a 64-bit OS, without any hesitation. The only problem I've had with it so far, on what is basically a gaming rig, is that SBuilderX doesn't work and I have to do that bit on my notebook across the network.

CBris
June 27th, 2009, 09:34
Well, although I am happily using 64 bit, there are some planes which simply will not work properly in 64 bit Vista - those that use reality XP gauges for instance. I am also discovering on some of the Beta testing I am on, that 64 bit isn't really a big help.

I reckon it will be Windows 7 / 32 bit for me when it arrives - and of course a new computer after nearly for years when W7 is public. I believe W7 has the RAM memory issue solved anyway, and the latest Intel chips and mobos can take a lot more.

Perhaps 12 GB of DDR3 RAM? That should be enough...

IanHenry
June 27th, 2009, 09:55
Ben,
why don't you try the new Windows 7 RC? You can use it free for a year. I have the 64 bit version on my computer and it is wonderfull, far better than the 32 bit Vista I was using before. I's almost like having a new computer.

Regards,
Ian

harleyman
June 27th, 2009, 10:16
Plus...If you are using the beta Win7 now..You will get a pre-buy offer for it..

Windows 7 is coming on October 22. Here’s an easy way to get a great deal. Pre-order a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for $49** or a Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for $99.** That’s at least half off the suggested retail prices. This offer is available through participating retailers. Pick one below and pre-order today. They’ll tell you how to get your copy.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/pre-order-email.aspxThen sit back and relax. Your hard work is being rewarded.

RyanJames170
June 27th, 2009, 10:40
Yes 64 bit its better for FSX if you have more then 2 GB of ram. yes it will see 3 GB but it will not use more then 2.5 in Vista and 2 in XP. some sort of thing with 32 bit.

32 bit only really uses 2 GB in XP and 2-3 GB in Vista 32.
64 bit in XP vista and win 7 all will use whats installed

Ryan
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Cobra8472
June 27th, 2009, 10:50
I doubt Windows 7 32bit will use more than 4GB ram, there is simply not enough address space to utilize it all.

However it will show 8GB of ram if you have it installed, it just won't use it.

If it is true that it can use more than 4gb I'd be interested to see it! :D

SirBenn21
June 27th, 2009, 16:26
Thanks Gents

I have already got Windows 7 32bit RC, but you all have inspired me to try the 64bit.
I'm already very happy with what I see in Windows 7, which says alot as far as I can remember this only happened with Win95 and Win98 I think.

Ben

RyanJames170
June 27th, 2009, 16:50
oh guys i have herd that 32 may see 4 GB but it probaly wont even use 3 GB of it :/. i had this problem is both Windows XP and Vista 32 vista got above 2 but not much over.

how do you make FSX use more ram? i am getting 4 gigs of ram here and it know even with 3 in 64 i dont use all of it.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">