PDA

View Full Version : Calling for Bill: long range tank needed for Epic Dynasty

Wombat_VC
June 26th, 2009, 21:14
I notice that the Lionheart Epic LT comes only with the standard tank capacity. What does it take to "option" the plane with the 350 gal. tank?

I realise that while the standard range may be good for the US, I live in Singapore and to go to any of the major cities in Oz, it's quite a stretch over water. This is also a reason why I prefer to drive the Dynasty rather than a VLJ like the Mustang.

By the way, are there any "air" or "cfg" file differences if I would like to think of my Epic as a Dynasty rather than an LT?

Lazerbrainz2k3
June 26th, 2009, 21:36
I don't know what the difference between models is, but here's what you have to look for in the aircraft.cfg for fuel capacity:

(Example taken from Tim's OV-1)

[fuel]
Center1 = 0, 0, 0.1, 297, 0
External1 = 0, -14.5, -0.39, 150, 0
External2 = 0, 14.5, -0.39, 150, 0
fuel_type = 2
number_of_tank_selectors = 1
electric_pump=1

The numbers for the bold items define its position in 3D space, followed by the tank capacity in gallons, followed by the unusable gallons. It's really no harder than changing that fourth number - I did exactly what you want to do to Tim's AA-5B, giving it the larger 26.3 gallon tanks - unless you know the unusable portion. I suppose it's possible that the larger tanks might change the location of the tanks slightly, but probably not enough to matter much.

Marvin Carter
June 26th, 2009, 23:02
You can add the extra wieght of the fuel too in the cfg file allso.

Lionheart
June 27th, 2009, 08:02
Hey Wombat,

Lazerbrainz is on it. You would change out the 150 (gallons) entry to that which you need.
You can also adjust it a tad in front to rear balance if needed. The first coordinate entry is your Z axis (front to rear) with negative being behind CG (moving rearward).

Bill

harleyman
June 27th, 2009, 08:14
Hey Wombat,

Lazerbrainz is on it. You would change out the 150 (gallons) entry to that which you need.
You can also adjust it a tad in front to rear balance if needed. The first coordinate entry is your Z axis (front to rear) with negative being behind CG (moving rearward).

Bill

Speak English...LOL Carry on....:ernae:

stiz
June 27th, 2009, 08:16
theres an easier way, realism settings - tick unlimited fuel :icon_lol:

Tako_Kichi
June 27th, 2009, 09:43
theres an easier way, realism settings - tick unlimited fuel :icon_lol:
Ahhh But.......that takes the fun out of planning a long leg over water and wondering if you will make land before the engine coughs and splutters! :eek:

A while back I started a long trip in a GA twin from my nearest local airport to London Heathrow. I was flying in real weather (in winter) and got as far as Goose Bay before I was called away to do some beta testing and I never got back to the saved flight. I face a long water leg to Greenland and with full fuel there is only about 30 minutes of spare capacity and if I hit a headwind even less! One of these days I will get back to the flight and attempt the leg and hopefully I will have a helping tailwind.

Maybe I should have picked Bill's Epic for the trip as it has a larger fuel capacity and can fly higher and faster. :isadizzy:

Wombat_VC
June 27th, 2009, 19:57
Thank you everyone for your input. :wavey: I think I'll just add fuel to the cfg file. Unless I know how the actual extended range LT flies, I may not want to tinker the CG myself as not to upset the perfectly balanced Epic!

By the way, is the real Dynasty supposed to be exactly the same as the LT?

Lionheart
June 27th, 2009, 21:19
Thank you everyone for your input. :wavey: I think I'll just add fuel to the cfg file. Unless I know how the actual extended range LT flies, I may not want to tinker the CG myself as not to upset the perfectly balanced Epic!

By the way, is the real Dynasty supposed to be exactly the same as the LT?

Basically yes, its the same airframe.

I wouldnt be afraid of tinkering with it. Nothing wrong with changing tunes on a plane. I do it all the time. Just save a backup of the config file so you can backstep if things go wrong.

You would be amazed at some of the cool things you can do to modify planes.

Bill