PDA

View Full Version : Scenery Setting Question

LTCSZ
June 26th, 2009, 13:05
What setting can I change to prevent scenery objects from suddenly appearing in front of the aircraft? (For example; trees and buildings suddenly popping up)...I would like for them to be visible for a longer distance...Thanks a lot...

Steve in Kansas

harleyman
June 26th, 2009, 13:29
That would be the LOD ...Set it from default of 4.5 to 7.5 then save it...

BUT..Any change you make in the settings page will revert it back..So do it very last

spotlope
June 26th, 2009, 14:53
If you're referring to FSX autogen, there's not much you can do. As of SP2, the autogen models (trees and buildings) are batched in groups that disappear at 14km from the user. It was an effort to recover some frame rates -- and it worked, except for that annoying popping. Visually, this is one area where FS9 was better, as they faded out instead of popping.

LTCSZ
June 26th, 2009, 15:25
Thanks for the info...Yes, I was referring to SP2 and the autogen objects...Think I will try reducing the autogen level...Give up a little to gain a little, I guess...Thanks again,

Steve

Cactuskid
June 26th, 2009, 16:04
Hence one of the main reasons that I uninstalled SP2! I may not get all the bells and whistles that SP2 provides, but my favorite aircraft that I ported run and look great and I don't have the autogen problem anymore...

LTCSZ
June 26th, 2009, 16:08
Just curious...What do you really lose by deleting SP2? Anything vital or really noticeable? Thanks,

Steve

spotlope
June 26th, 2009, 16:42
While it's true that SP2 introduced two notable bugaboos -- the popping autogen and the "breaking" of FS9 ports -- I've also found that it increases performance handily, and includes several scenery bug fixes. Users of FSX RTM and SP1 see some nasty layering anomalies in third-party sceneries that use the older FS8-style ground polys, which is most of the better-known developers out there.

For me, SP2 is worth far more on my rig than off it. It sort of depends on what you value most in FSX, though.

harleyman
June 26th, 2009, 17:34
It also offers DX10 if you can run it...SP2

I avoid SP 2 personally....

LTCSZ
June 26th, 2009, 17:55
Thanks for the advice...Guess I'll leave it in for now and put up with the suddenly appearing trees! (We don't have many trees out here anyway!)

Steve in Kansas