PDA

View Full Version : Nearly lost one of my father-in-laws today

OBIO
June 25th, 2009, 22:30
Today, Father-in-law number 2, Jack, my wife's adoptive dad, went to the county jail to visit his grandson (my nephew) and was sitting in his truck waiting for my nephew's legal counsel to arrive so they could go in together. Being a really hot day today, Jack kept his truck running with a A/C on. This would not be a bad thing, except Jack's truck has a leak in the exhaust system. When the attorney arrived, he found Jack slumped over in his seat, totally unresponsive. Carbon Monoxide poisoning as it turns out. The attorney shut off the truck and called 911. When Jack arrived at the emergency room, they drew a blood sample to do a blood gas test. The CM level in his blood was 45 (not sure of the units of measurement...maybe parts per million)...and this was after being in the truck with the doors open for 10 mintues and after being on pure oxygen for the 5 to 10 minute ride to the hospital....so, at the time he was found, the CM level in his blood would have been a good deal higher. He was a freckle away from death's door.

The last update I received, around 10:30, was that the CM level was down to 1.7, with 2.0 and under being considered "normal" safe levels. He is awake, alert...well, he is probably sleeping now as it is 2:30 am.

Jack has had it rough these last 4 to 5 years. In 2004, he was diagnosed with very advance prostate cancer, and later tests showed that that cancer has spread to his bones. He was given just a few months to live...at least by the doctors. God must have other plans, because he is still kicking. Then this spring, Jack had a pretty big heart attack, followed by a quadruple by-pass surgery. Now CM poisoning.

He's a tough old buzzard, that's for sure.

OBIO

n4gix
June 26th, 2009, 06:29
I glad to learn of the good outcome this time...
...that was a close call!

Daveroo
June 26th, 2009, 06:47
wow..close call..the man has had a tough go of it reciently..my best wishes to him

Prowler1111
June 26th, 2009, 08:08
they donīt build them like than anymore...glad to know he is recovering...tough guys never go until they are ready to..
Prowler

OBIO
June 26th, 2009, 18:08
My father-in-law had an MRI this morning and the original plan was to release him afterward, but his family doctor wanted him to stay in the hospital for another day to rest...which is probably a good idea. Jack, despite of his cancer and heart attack and bypass surgery, does not know the words "slow down" or "take it easy for a while". He is still full throttle all the time, still working out at the farm, still doing some painting and remodeling work, still working on that worn out old Massey Ferguson lawn tractor of his (building a new mower deck for it...from scratch).

OBIO

Willy
June 26th, 2009, 19:24
Sounds like my father in law. Just turned 79 and don't know the meaning of slowing down and enjoying life. He'd rather stay up in his 2 acre garden and work. Then wants to fuss about how it's too hot to do anything after having been in the garden all day. :isadizzy:

OBIO
June 27th, 2009, 21:06
Jack is now home and feeling pretty good for a man who, as the ER doc stated, just a few minutes away from death. There is no apparent after effects from the carbon monoxide poisoning...which is a relief. My uncle Forrest was a truck driver for the United States Postal Service back in the late 50s, a job he started right after leaving the Army...where he learned the art of driving trucks, and after serving in the Korean War...anyhooos, he was driving through one of the northern states (Montana, North Dakota, one of the states from that area) and got stuck in a blizzard when his truck slammed into a huge snow drift. To stay warm, he kept his truck running and the cab filled with carbon monoxide. He spent the remainder of his life with a pretty fair degree of brain damage.

OBIO

N2056
June 27th, 2009, 21:21
Hey, I am very glad to hear that this turned out so well! :applause: