PDA

View Full Version : The SR-71 and The Cold War

Milton Shupe
October 18th, 2008, 09:57
I received an Email from a friend about this awesome aircraft. I thought you might like to see it as well.
-------------------------------------------------------------

This is the story of the plane that helped us win the cold war...Heroes

A great history of a great aircraft....

Eye candy for people who like airplanes

Grab your beverage and relax for a few minutes of awesome beauty. The SR-71 was the creation of Kelly Johnson, Lockheed, Eisenhower and the Air Force. It was envisioned in the '50s, first flew in the early '60s, retired in the '80s, briefly brought back in the '90s.

In all, 13 units of the single seat A-12 were built, and 32 of the Pilot + Recon two seat SR-71 units were built. Five A-12 were lost, one is stored. Twelve two seaters were lost. The remaining 27 are on display around the USA. The closest is at Atwater, the old CAstle AFB museum at Merced with 50 other classic warplanes. You probably have a better opportunity of viewing the one in San Diego. Ask me and I'll tell you where the others are. NY, OR, OH, DC, etc.

I can find most answers to most questions. Just ask. Start with the 2000+ mph, the 80,000 feet + altitude. More if you wish.

So enjoy. One more thing. The author of the captions to the picture in this video made one misstatement, due to youth. The U-2 Recon aircraft was created in 1955, flew operationally in 1956. Kelly thought the USSR would shoot it down in 18 months. Lucky us, it flew until Gary Powers was downed on 1 May 1960. But Kelly Johnson already had the go-ahead from Ike for the A-12. It first flew in 1962, JFK kept the manufacture of it active. No one told LBJ, 'cause everyone knew he would spill the secret. He wasn't told til the week after JFK left us. And sure enough, LBJ gave out the secret in a matter of months.

Anyhow, the most interesting, most exciting five years of my life were spent in the program, as a KC-135 refueling pilot. Where the Blackbird went, we went. You will see several refuelings in the following.

Enjoy.

Click here to view the slideshow:

http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com/SR-71/index.htm

eddie
October 18th, 2008, 10:28
Thanks for that link Milton, really nice presentation! I saw the SR-71 that is on display at the Air and Space Museum near Dulles. Only one word comes to mind when you stand near it, and that word is "Speed!!!".

Quicksand
October 18th, 2008, 10:59
:medals::medals::medals::medals::medals:

Cazzie
October 18th, 2008, 11:24
Excellent presentation Milton. For the record, from my many Russian friends, who were in the service before the fall of the wall, I have been told by all that the "Blackbird" was the most envied airplane of the former USSR and the one that they wanted intact more than any other. It was clearly a UFO of its time, totally uncatchable.

Caz

bearcat241
October 18th, 2008, 11:34
:applause: THE BEST OF THE BEST! :applause:

:medals:

Lionheart
October 18th, 2008, 12:05
I had heard that the 'Seventy One' was actually designed in '57, which would make sense if it flew first in '60.

Incredible plane. Still one of the fastest planes we have.

I would love to see an Aurora... Super mach..! :d

Bill

Railrunner130
October 18th, 2008, 13:16
I believe many of the words to be those of Maj. Brian Shul, who wrote "Sled Driver" and "The Untouchables". Walt Watson was his back seater and co-author of "The Untouchables". https://galleryonepublishing.com/sleddriver/ I have both books and they are absolutely incredible works- a very fitting tribute to the Mighty Sled.

:ernae:

stansdds
October 18th, 2008, 14:50
Every time I think about the SR-71 I just have to question the wisdom of eliminating such a fine recon aircraft from the inventory. Satellites are great as are UAV's, but the SR-71 could be whereever you wanted it whenever you wanted it there. The SR-71 had an exemplary career.

Lionheart
October 18th, 2008, 15:24
Every time I think about the SR-71 I just have to question the wisdom of eliminating such a fine recon aircraft from the inventory. Satellites are great as are UAV's, but the SR-71 could be whereever you wanted it whenever you wanted it there. The SR-71 had an exemplary career.

Just remember two things though. Levels of secrecy (things we dont know about yet that are used everyday), and the amount of technologies we 'now' have. We probably have planes flying that make the Seventy One look like a slow poke. When we do find out about them, they will probably be ready for retirement and we'll have something else already flying.

Bill

jmig
October 18th, 2008, 20:23
Thank you Milton for the link and flash program. I can remember the sonic booms when the SR-71 flew over our town on its way to and from Cuba.

I also remember a SR-71 which did a low high-speed pass at an airshow being held by my base. There was a cirrus ice crystal cloud overhead about 30K-40K. Otherwise it was a cloudless west Texas sky. After the low pass the SR-71 was cleared for an unlimited climb. It blew a hole in the cloud of ice as it passed through. It was an awesome sight.

My last image of the bird was being number one waiting behind one at Kadena, SB, Japan. Taxied up just as she started her takeoff roll and hit the burners. You have never seen or heard burners until you see and hear a Blackbird's burners at night.

Drzook
October 18th, 2008, 21:26
I just took my family to the Kalamazoo Air Zoo last week. There in a darkened corner, there she was: the only SR-71B trainer on the planet. Of all the planes there that was the one my 6-year old son and my 8-year old nephew kept coming back to. Standing under the wings one can't help but to get a feeling of....awe.:ernae:

txnetcop
October 19th, 2008, 04:00
Thank you Milton it now resides bookmarked under Great Aircraft
Ted