PDA

View Full Version : SP2 and Acceleration

Quicksand
June 24th, 2009, 11:57
Guys, I've got Acceleration ordered, and should have it here in a few days, but in the meantime I have a couple of real newb questions... First, I've already installed SP1 and, unfortunately also SP2.. I read in the forums that you can't install Acceleration over SP2.. Is there a way to uninstall SP2 without completely un/re installing FSX? Second, I have added no extra or modded terrain or scenery. I have, however, added a considerable amount of new aircraft, both free and payware. Will I lose these planes when I uninstall SP2 (if possible), or when I install Acceleration?

harleyman
June 24th, 2009, 12:04
It is always best to install Acceleration on a fresh FSX...BUT

It can be done....

I believe that it will just install..It reads your Config for FSX and knows if you have SPs 1 & 2 installed, and will just skip that ..It was added as extra on the disk as they had room..

All that may happen is that any planes that are not full FSX will loose some textures, including prop..

No..You will loose nothing..But some might break..Then you know what needs fixed...

Just run the disk and see what happens..But I believe it will just skip installing the service packs..Anyways...No harm will come..

To uninstall SP2 from add/ remove, usually just uninstall from the FSX entry..That is susposed to remove SP 2 and leave FSX intact....

But, I would just try the disk first and see what it makes you do ...

Quicksand
June 24th, 2009, 14:04
Thanks Harleyman. Sounds like good advice to me... Now if only that mailman would catch another gear and deliver my new toy...:applause::mixedsmi:

SkippyBing
June 25th, 2009, 09:24
From memory you have to uninstall SP2. It's either done as part of the install or it kicks you out and you have to go to the control panel and do it yourself. On the plus sided you can just uninstall SP2, you don't have to uninstall FSX entirely.

harrybasset
June 26th, 2009, 10:06
I just had Acceleration delivered today. When I went to instal it it read my system and told me to delete SP2 via Control Panel and Add/Delete Programs. Once I did that it installed with no problems. I've slightly damaged only one carrier so far, a Hornet in the round down doesn't even make the boat flinch.

harleyman
June 26th, 2009, 10:22
I stand corrected...

Good to know..Now if I can just remember it as I don't use Acceleration, even though I have two coppies...LOL:kilroy:

Aircanuck
December 27th, 2009, 20:01
Hello fellow simmers,

I'm building a new rig to run FSX / Accerleration ..... wish me luck.

Does it matter if I update DirectX & the C++ Library before I install FSX / Accerleration or after ??

Cheers for now

Aircanuck

harleyman
December 28th, 2009, 23:24
Ummmm See other thread where you asked ....LOL

But I think no...If you need them you will be prompted..

Just make sure windows is updated with all its net frameworks...

dhasdell
January 21st, 2010, 05:10
So, as another with FSX in the pipeline, it's FSX, then SP1, then Acceleration and finally SP2?

Dangerous Beans
January 21st, 2010, 09:02
So, as another with FSX in the pipeline, it's FSX, then SP1, then Acceleration and finally SP2?

No its FSX then Acceleration and that's it.
Both SP1 and SP2 are included in the Acceleration install.

dhasdell
January 21st, 2010, 09:17
OK. Thank you.
:ernae:

ColoKent
January 22nd, 2010, 16:46
...if one already has FSX, SP1 and SP2 installed, but doesn't want any of the missions or aircraft in Acceleration, is there any reason to even install it (like, are there other tweaks that make a difference in FSX's performance)?

Thanks,

Kent

guzler
January 23rd, 2010, 01:23
This page here is probably a good starting place:

http://www.highflightsimulations.com/site/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=28

I have also added reduced autogen texture sizes which give a big performance improvement with little loss in visual quality. The only time you will notice anything is when you park your plane under a tree !!! And even then, they still lokk good.