PDA

View Full Version : New AH-1S Cobra from Area51 available at ...

Fireball6
June 24th, 2009, 07:32
FlightSim Pilot Shop. Included are FS9 and FSX-Versions. Liveries of USA, South Korea, Israel, Japan and Turkey. Price ~ 20$.

Here a few shots from the first Flights

Greetings :wavey: Dirk

Quixoticish
June 24th, 2009, 07:39
Is it properly FSX native or are the FSX models port-overs? And is there a paint kit?

Fireball6
June 24th, 2009, 07:45
Hi Chris H - no paint kit in the package but a true FSX-Modell (FSX certified by FSPilotShop) - looks and fly`s like a FSX native for me.

Quixoticish
June 24th, 2009, 07:48
Thanks Fireball6, I'll be sure to buy a copy later on. Shame they didn't do the AH-1G, that's by far the best looking of the Cobras. :)

Fireball6
June 24th, 2009, 08:32
Chris - it should not be so difficult to repaint her - only 2 texture-files for the main body and all parts. All original textures are photoreal - and after i extract the mipmaps they look realy good to me. That should be a nice one for Bob or Yago9 - i`m sure they can do fine things ......

Here is another shot of the Israel-Paint which is included.

SolarEagle
June 24th, 2009, 14:46
FSX certified by FSPilotShop.

That means nothing, in fact. They have all their FS9 ports listed as "FSX Certified", everything from the Flight Replicas BF109 to the Aeroplane Heaven P-38 and Aerosoft Dornier Do-27 X.

I would never buy from such a misleading company, and would never give those guys any respect for the way they mislead people all in the name of making a profit. The Cobra looks nice for $20, so maybe it will be found elsewhere.

Quixoticish
June 24th, 2009, 14:50
It's completely native FSX by the way.

Reminds me of Alphasim models of days gone by. Looks good, sounds good, flies nicely, I'm sure rivet counters will find plenty wrong with it but for $20 it does exactly what it says on the tin.

MCDesigns
June 24th, 2009, 15:27
It's completely native FSX by the way.

Thanks for the clarification, I figured it might be since they mention separate MDLs for each sim.

The VC looks doable, how's the performance hit?

BananaBob
June 24th, 2009, 16:09
This one does sound like a good candidate for some photoreal paints, especially by the sound of the texture layout, Yago had done some paints for the AS Cobra too so we'll see, any more shots of the VC? :ernae:

Kiwikat
June 24th, 2009, 16:20
It needs some bananabob rotors ;)

MCDesigns
June 24th, 2009, 16:22
It needs some bananabob rotors ;)

Yep! :monkies:

BananaBob
June 24th, 2009, 16:38
LOL, I wanted to say something about those, but bit my tongue, :icon_lol:

yago9
June 24th, 2009, 20:27
I wonder why they put those "photoreal" textures on this payware package. Bellow are my very old textures for the freeware version..Doesn anyone notice what livery they picked ? That,s funny and very original ! Dont tell me you are the Mark Fire Ball Rooks guy from simviation..Anyway, is a native FSX version ? I might go for one of those.

BananaBob
June 24th, 2009, 20:49
I'd look at it as you inspired someone, that's what I do any way, man those were some bad rotor textures on that bird too, I could never fly it because of that little problem, too picky, LOL. :engel016:

yago9
June 24th, 2009, 21:07
it,s not that..There are not many good photos that you can use as phototexture,so everybody will go probably for the same ones..Second, I dont understand how can you sell it if you used " borrowed " photos
You need permission,pay for the copyright or take the pictures yourself ,wich I doubt is the case.

BananaBob
June 24th, 2009, 21:45
I thought they were just painted, they are photoreal textures on that new one?

yago9
June 24th, 2009, 22:06
After the very similar shaped oil spots ,I would say yes..

simkid22
June 24th, 2009, 23:32
Is the VC panel 3D or 2D? Just wondering how easy it would be to change the gauges to something a little less c172-ish.

Quixoticish
June 24th, 2009, 23:33
.Anyway, is a native FSX version ? I might go for one of those.

Already answered further up the thread.

Fireball6
June 25th, 2009, 01:56
OK - here a few more VC-Shots. I don`t know who are the guys from Area51, it was my first time i buy something from this company and must say that i am not dissapointed. After i have extracted the Mipīs it looks good for me, the price is ok and it make fun to fly this heli and at last, like Chris say above - the sound is fine.

CBris
June 25th, 2009, 19:32
FSX Native? FSX certified? Exported as per SDK? Red Rag... I know, I know... :a1451:

Edited to save the innocent...

Now I don't know about this helicopter, and as a helicopter fan I place the huey high on my list of "like to haves" because it is a great looker. So to pose the "FSX Compatibility" question properly I simply ask: "Does this addon have the minimum content of FSX conform textures to allow painters full and free options to paint it, add dents where they want and to make specular changes?"

A yes here will increase my desire to own this.

A no simply means that it is not fully FSX.

If it don't do what ACES default planes do, it ain't conform!

Francois
June 25th, 2009, 22:08
For the record, CB, it is not a Huey, it is a Cobra......... BIG difference :wavey:

VaporZ
June 26th, 2009, 02:32
I think other users can be covered with other repaints of this AH-1S Cobra :

Bahrain ( 12 delivered ) ?
Iran ( 202 delivered ) ?
Jordan ( 33 delivered ) ?
Pakistan ( 18 delivered ) ?
Taiwan ( 63 delivered ) ?

Am, I wrong ?
:mixedsmi:
VaporZ

Take a look at Bahrain and Jordan colors below

http://images.cjb.net/3c2b7.jpg (http://www.cjb.net/images.html?3c2b7.jpg)

CBris
June 26th, 2009, 04:34
For the record, CB, it is not a Huey, it is a Cobra......... BIG difference :wavey:

Mornin' Francois - or afternoon. I wonder why Revell sold a "Huey Cobra Gunship" plastic model as long ago as the early seventies. Try googling "Huey Cobra" too.

MCDesigns
June 26th, 2009, 16:54
Out of curiosity, anyone find a way to have weapons firing visuals on this or other military helis, especially missiles??

I was thinking about getting this, but remembered how lacking my flights in the Apache were due to no combat visual scenarios.

CG_1976
June 26th, 2009, 17:19
Ah the debate of the infamous Cobra that steeped in history with many variants. As Ive always known there is one called a cobra and thats the Super Cobra, while the other variants go by Huey Cobra. We need a USMC serviceman in here to give the call to as they are the largest user of this helo.

deathfromafar
June 26th, 2009, 17:30

Actually, they were called HueyCobra early on when the AH-1G entered service.
The AH-1 was out outgrowth of the UH-1 Iroquois in many ways but ended up drastically different airframe retaining only a few key UH-1 components. I remember hearing the Army versions called HueyCobras many times as a kid. At some point, many stopped calling it HueyCobra and just Cobra and the UH-1 being called "Hueys" and rarely to never called Iroquois. Time lines of these name usages are hard to reference.

Ah the debate of the infamous Cobra that steeped in history with many variants. As Ive always known there is one called a cobra and thats the Super Cobra, while the other variants go by Huey Cobra. We need a USMC serviceman in here to give the call to as they are the largest user of this helo.

USMC AH-1W's I have mostly heard called "Whiskey Cobras". Haven't seen any of the old Sea Cobras in a long time.

simkid22
June 26th, 2009, 17:34
From what I can find, the "Golfs" and "Quebecs" seem to be HueyCobras while the rest of the single engine variants like the "Sierra" are just plane Cobras. The twin turbine models like the "Juliets" and "Tangos" are SeaCobras and the "Whiskeys" and "Zulus" are SuperCobras.

CBris
June 26th, 2009, 20:30
Interesting history and thanks. As for me, I used to mutter sideways at folk who called the Iroquis a Huey - simply because I only knew the Huey and Iroquis names from the Revell models. Funnily enough I used to say the same as Francois except the other way around...

"It's called an Iroquis, not a Huey - there's a big difference!" :icon_lol:

I often had a 'romantic' notion that the Cobras wer called Huey after a place name in Viet Nam. 'Romantic' - well I was in the army then...

daytonite_andy
June 27th, 2009, 00:30
Ha this is so funny,

For years I knew it as a 'Bell Huey Cobra', as that is what was on one of my first plastic model kit boxes.

Gotta love the Matchbox kits from the seventies and early eighties :applause:

Andrew

BananaBob
June 27th, 2009, 00:34
I always thought they shared the same engine and tail section, basically a trimmed down Huey for combat.

CBris
June 27th, 2009, 00:40
More to the point - the US forces "normally" name their helicopters with native indian sounding names - and then they go and do something sill like saying Cobra - an asian snake...

Oh well - you never really know with military minds...

BananaBob
June 27th, 2009, 00:46
More to the point - the US forces "normally" name their helicopters with native indian sounding names - and then they go and do something sill like saying Cobra - an asian snake...

Oh well - you never really know with military minds...

Probably has to do with Vietnam, but that's just a guess. :ernae:

jetstreamsky
June 27th, 2009, 06:42
I always thought they shared the same engine and tail section, basically a trimmed down Huey for combat.

They do, even the latest updated versions of the Bell UH-1Y (Utility) and Bell AH-1Z (Attack) maintain as much commonality as possible.

From the Bell website

"Shared dynamics and nearly identical cockpits vastly reduces the logistical tail, procurement and training costs required to support a large fleet of mixed type aircraft. The UH-1Y and AH-1Z have 84% commonality with identical components.

Just as the UH-1N is being rebuilt and redesigned into the UH-1Y, the US Marine Corps Attack helicopters the AH-1W is being rebuilt and redesigned into the AH-1Z is being rebuilt and redesigned as well. The traditional reliability of the Huey series now contributes to the outstanding performance, state-of-the-art dynamics and avionics of the H1Upgrade Program."

Txmmy83
June 28th, 2009, 13:18
just an information after my investigation before my purchase
FsPilotshop US$19.95 EUR 14.65
Simmarket US$33.11 <small>EUR 23.74</small>
for the same product !

find that price difference bit strange
but the exteriour model is worth any price

BR
Tom

stiz
June 28th, 2009, 15:18