PDA

View Full Version : Fsx?

Raider17
June 23rd, 2009, 14:14
Hello all,
Just joined Sim Outhouse and had a look around. PArdon my ignorance, but I am unfamiliar with some flightsims out today so can someone bring me up to speed with FSX please? I have always wondered if there were any flightsims which covered jet aircraft/naval aviation, and as I have just seen one of my fave aircraft (F14) here my mind is boggling at the thought of flying one in a sim :jump:.
Any pointers would be gratefully received :applause:

Thanks

JC

piperarcherpilot
June 23rd, 2009, 14:18
Just a small pointer - if you want Naval Aviation, you want to get a version of FSX that includes the Acceleration Expansion Pack - right now, the FSX Gold Edition is your best bet. Here it is on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Sim-X-Gold-Pc/dp/B001DPZE84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1245795404&sr=8-1

It comes with missions and tutorials to get you up to speed with Carrier Ops. :)

Dino's F14 thats causing all the buzz here is a GREAT addon. Its free, too!

piperarcherpilot
June 23rd, 2009, 14:26
Also, for a decent and value priced flight controller, I recommend the Saitek Aviator. It has lots of programmable switches and what I really like, the dual throttle control. Makes operating twin engined planes a lot more realistic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I62PEK

Raider17
June 23rd, 2009, 14:31
Thanks for that!

JC

Raider17
June 23rd, 2009, 14:35
I take it that FSX is more of a flying simulation than a shoot-em up, yes?
If so it could be a bit too deep for me,...I probably would`nt get off the deck!

JC

piperarcherpilot
June 23rd, 2009, 14:40
Yes, its not weapons based. Its primarily a civilian flight simulator.

I dont know of any modern Naval Sims, but if you want more of a combat sim with an 'easy' mode (with room to grow and learn systems and such) I suggest 'Lock On'.

http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Modern-Air-Combat-Pc/dp/B000066641

I dont know why its so much money at Amazon...you might want to try Best Buy - they may have some still in stock.

Navy Chief
June 23rd, 2009, 14:47
Welcome to SOH, Raider17. Great bunch of folks here, and very knowledgeable about flight sims.

Navy Chief

MCDesigns
June 23rd, 2009, 16:19
I take it that FSX is more of a flying simulation than a shoot-em up, yes?
If so it could be a bit too deep for me,...I probably would`nt get off the deck!

JC

Welcome JC, hope you stick around. :ernae:

As for FSX being to deep, it's easier to get into than say LockOn which is a more complicated shooting sim. FSX is scalable and can be easy or hard, depending on what you like.
if you are into Naval aviation, FSX really shines in that dept.

We also have forums for X-plane, FS9 (before FSX), and most combat flightsims worth checking out.

piperarcherpilot
June 23rd, 2009, 16:38
As for FSX being to deep, it's easier to get into than say LockOn which is a more complicated shooting sim. FSX is scalable and can be easy or hard, depending on what you like.
if you are into Naval aviation, FSX really shines in that dept.

True. A good point...I had forgotten how un-user friendly some of LockOn can be to a beginner...FSX is a much better introduction.

Brett_Henderson
June 23rd, 2009, 16:44
On the enthusiastic side, don't worry about getting off the deck. You'll have your hands full (in a fun way), learning the basics in a C172.. working your way up the ladder to multi-engine and jets.

If you jump right in , trying to land a modern fighter on an aircraft carrier.. you'll be about as succesful as you'd be if you tried that for real.

Along the way (if you choose), you can learn a WHOLE bunch of stuff that will net you genuine piloting skill.

On the realistic side.. be aware that FSX requires a pretty stout computer.. Maybe you could post your specs, and we'll go from there

:wiggle:

heywooood
June 23rd, 2009, 17:17
yeah - computer power is the key to enjoying FSX.

the more power your rig has - the more you can open FSX toward its full glory...and its got some glory to it.

post your specs here before you buy the game - or - download the FSX demo from FSinsider to see how that plays on your current rig.

if the demo looks good then the Gold Edition should run pretty well because the sim has been tuned since the demo was made.

Navy Chief
June 23rd, 2009, 17:46
I remember well the very first time I landed successfully in a flight sim. It was a Phantom in Strike Fighters Project One, just after it first was released....way, way back. It was definitely a feeling of "achievement", being able to put that aircraft on the runway, without crashing.

NC

Brett_Henderson
June 23rd, 2009, 18:12
Loading a couple of virtual buddies, and their luggage (actually doing it at the loading screen).. and then setting your fuel load to what you can carry with those buddies and bags aboard.. for the first leg of your multi-fuel stop adventure.. double-checking weather (at a real avaitaion weather site, because your running real weather), to make sure winds aloft won't leave you running short of fuel.. printing out any approach plates you might need.. and re-checking your nav-log (where you've planned the whole flight as though it were real), to make sure all the Com and Nav frequencies are correct... makes firing up that Cessna 172 pretty thrilling.

When the last leg ends having you shoot an instrument approach (darn that 1 mile visibility), as published.. looking up over the panel at decision-height.. to see a glorious runway, right where it's supposed to be; is almost as satisfying in the sim, as it is for real

:ernae:

Googling about the airport and town where you've just landed, for some virtual tourism, is a nice bonus :cool:

harleyman
June 24th, 2009, 04:48
Hello and welcome...

All the info above is spot on...FSX / Acceleration is what you're after...BUT

I also agree that the first thing to do is post you computer specs..

Panther_99FS
June 24th, 2009, 04:59
Welcome to the greatest warbird flight sim website around! :engel016:

Raider17
June 24th, 2009, 05:11
Just had another quick look in here and noticed there were 14 responses to my enquiry...wow! Very pleasantly surprised!:jump:
Many thanks to all for the welcome and input (still a bit worried about whether I`ve bit off more than I can chew though!)

Will get back later with my system specs.

One last thing - what is this `Acceleration` thing re FSX?

JC out.

spotlope
June 24th, 2009, 05:27
Acceleration is an expansion pack for FSX that was released by Microsoft a while back. If you're interested in naval aviation, that's a must-have. It contains several new aircraft, new scenery, and enhanced functionality, among which is the ability to take off and land on a carrier, and a very nice F-18 to practice with. Nowadays, the best deal going is to find "FSX Gold" in stores. It contains the base FSX plus Acceleration, usually for a very nice price.

swimeye
June 24th, 2009, 05:38
Welcome to the wonderful world of FSX.

Another thing that makes FSX very nice is that this forum exists providing you very friendly answers to your question and i have never ever felt studpid for asking a question, always an answer instead of being called things like noob and other similar nick names. You will quickly learn that FSX is more than a simulator but also a nice community, if you want to ofcourse. :jump:

harleyman
June 24th, 2009, 05:59
Welcome to the wonderful world of FSX.

Another thing that makes FSX very nice is that this forum exists providing you very friendly answers to your question and i have never ever felt studpid for asking a question, always an answer instead of being called things like noob and other similar nick names. You will quickly learn that FSX is more than a simulator but also a nice community, if you want to ofcourse. :jump:

Noob !!! LOL Just Kidding...I just had to.....:ernae:

Here there are no stupid questions...

This is how we all learn and give back....

swimeye
June 24th, 2009, 06:10
Hehe, very funny harleyman :icon_lol: well said though.

blazefox2
June 24th, 2009, 07:26
ahh the good ol days when all i could fly was the trike ultralight with my awesome keyboard yup i was a real fighter pilot then :cost1:
with an amazing 7 fps with it too (i had the worst computer ever lol)
i think you will have a fun and very rewarding experiance with the sim i know i have feel free to ask questions this is the best fs community thus far
enjoy your time here and have fun :running:

Raider17
June 25th, 2009, 14:47
Hello all,
Sorry for the delay in getting back. As reqested her are some specs of my PC (which I`ve had since early 2004).

Pentium 4 2.8ghz CPU

Intel 865PE Motherboard*
2Gb of DDR RAM (PC3200)
Windows XP Home OS with SP2
Two 298GIG HDs (MAXTOR STM3320820A)
Creative SB Audigy 2 Soundcard
Nvidia Geforce 7600GS Graphics card

* although the official spec says it is an Intel board - it is actually made by a company called MSI (?)

Admittedly it is an old system, but getting a new rig is not an op[tion at the moment (worst luck!) No doubt it would not handle FSX fully cranked up, but are these specs good enough for the game be playable (and still acceptable) if some of its settings were reduced?

I have in the past installed extra RAM to try and aid better performance - up to 4Gb worth - but for some reason the system coughed on it with the odd CTD etc. It ran but it was`nt 100%. I`ve since been told that Windows XP won`t accept more RAM above 2 Gb...is there any truth in that?

Thanks
JC:)