PDA

View Full Version : Over Clocking Question ?

Crusader
October 18th, 2008, 07:50
I'm currently running an Asus Extreme Board / LGA775 / E6850 at 3.0 GHz .(6 Gigs of 6400 ram running under VISTA 64bit . ) I was comtemplating an overclock to 3.2 or 3.4 if possible . I have a 1000W PSU with liquid cooler and plenty of fans . A few MAJOR stumbling blocks . I know NOTHING about attempting this. I have noticed under the BIOS there is an Exteme Tweeker block in the BIOS menus and it has a manual and auto setting and possibly something else . My main purpose is to possibly try to boost the fps up alittle in FSX . I'm currently running single digits and low teens in heavy autogen and scenery areas . I do have FS9 still loaded and it screams but has gotten alot "Out of Memory" errors as apparently alot of people have experienced . My first inclination is to LEAVE everthing alone an forget about it . I understand it involves changing the voltages and latencies(?) .

Am I way over my head here ???

Rich

David_L6
October 18th, 2008, 15:01
Rich, overclocking isn't difficult. What you'll be doing is increasing the Front Side Bus. Then, if necessary, increasing voltage to the CPU. There are some other things that can come into play - setting the ratio on the memory for instance - but nothing to be worried about. 3.2GHz should be a breeze. 3.4GHz shouldn't be difficult.

I'm not familiar with the "Exteme Tweeker" thing. I'll look it up on Google and see what I can find out.

Edit: BTW, what model is your board?

stansdds
October 19th, 2008, 10:12
Cooling the CPU is very important when overclocking, so good case air flow and a good CPU cooler are vital. I've not overclocked my 6850, but I do understand that 3.4 GHz is often easily attainable.