PDA

View Full Version : SATA drive installation

OBIO
June 22nd, 2009, 18:00
I just installed a 250gig SATA drive into my P4 based system. The mother board will support 2 SATA drives with onboard controllers. BIOs recognizes the drive, but XP does not. Am I going to have to reinstall XP and go through all that crap just to get this HD working? Or is there a way to do it without having to deal with a reinstall, spending loads of time updating XP, reinstalling anti-virus and all my utilities, then having to reinstall all my sim stuff (CFS2, FS2004, 2 versions of Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, all my sim utilities, then have to reinstall all my scenery, planes, sounds, yada yada yada).

If there is no way to get XP to read the SATA drive, I will pull it back out and stick in a second IDE drive.

OBIO

Dangerousdave26
June 22nd, 2009, 18:21
You may not see it in explorer until it is formated

Go to your my computer icon and right click

go to Manage

one of the options on the left is Disk Management

If the disk shows up there right click on it and look at the options

I would create the partition then format it NTFS

OBIO
June 22nd, 2009, 18:55
Thanks Dave. Your directions were spot on. Partition created and the drive is formatting now. Soon, I will have another 238 gig of empty storage space. My poor 160 gig C drive is nearly half full. Now I will be able to shift some stuff to the new drive.

I have an 80 gig IDE that I am thinking about adding to the system too...but I would have to yank out the floppy drive to make room for the HD...which would not be that big of a deal since I have absolutely no floppies.

OBIO