PDA

View Full Version : help with GPU wanted

RyanJames170
June 22nd, 2009, 16:11
Hello all
im getting an new card an GTS250 1 gig version and i giveing my dad my old 8800 Gt 512 card

will it run on an 350 watt PSU with

an E6550 at 2.33 Ghz 1333 FSB
3 gigs of DDR2-667 ram and an 320 GB WD HDD

thanks

rwmarth
June 22nd, 2009, 16:14
It'll probably run, but...... pity you'd risk a new video card on it though!

N2056
June 22nd, 2009, 16:45
Ryan, I feel obligated to perhaps educate you (and possibly others) on how to answer these questions on your own. If I was considering buying this card I would definitely check the manufacturer's website. I would troll the support forum looking for assorted things. Power requirements? OS compatibility issues? Issues with certain applications? Oh, and I also tend to try and gauge general opinion about the product.

In this case I googled your card & determined that the manufacturer recommends a minimum of 450 watts. It took me a less than whole minute to do.

The internet is a wonderful thing...:jump:

RyanJames170
June 22nd, 2009, 16:46
i have an 650 watt PSU my dads the one with the 350 watt

N2056
June 22nd, 2009, 16:48
Ahh...in that case the question was a tad vague, in which case you do the same thing for the other card.

RyanJames170
June 22nd, 2009, 16:51
i did that and some said they had it booted up and working on an 350 watt PSU why i asked here

N2056
June 22nd, 2009, 16:54
Got it. My experience with video cards has been that depending on what you are trying to squeeze out of one you might get by on a weak power supply. In this case you might be able to make it work. Hopefully others will add more insight...good luck!

RyanJames170
June 22nd, 2009, 16:59
i pan to declock the Card some and i can put the fan way down. my dads getting temps in the 20s lol. in the basement it never gets above 60F down there.

do you think going to 500 core clock and maybe 1500 Ram would save power consumtion some?

N2056
June 22nd, 2009, 17:02
Uhh...I honestly don't know. I'm way better at Gmax than I am with hardware :icon_lol:

RyanJames170
June 22nd, 2009, 17:24
hahahaha wana teach me gmax lol i want to lern it but im lacking good videos that show me how to do stuff. sucks being an audieo visual lerner

Bjoern
June 22nd, 2009, 18:10
Yep, the card wil run on a 350W PSU.

By the way: Could you please work on your spelling and grammar? Please!?!

RyanJames170
June 22nd, 2009, 18:29

Sorry about that was trying to do an lot of stuff at once.

Bjoern
June 23rd, 2009, 17:40
Sorry about that was trying to do an lot of stuff at once.

Only women can do multiple things at once. Always keep that in mind and you're gonna be fine. :d

txnetcop
June 23rd, 2009, 18:00

Actually Bjoern it will run on a 350 watt power supply if it has enough amperage to do so. Many of the older 350 did not carry enough amperage to run this video card properly or at all. By using the card with a power supply that is inadequate he could actually damage it.

Ryan
So Ryan I suggest you check the amperage on the +12v side of the PSU and make sure it meets the mfgs specs for amperage. Also does the power supply you want to run it on have the correct pins for the video card? You may have to add an adapter wire if the amperage is good enough to run it....actually I would not do it....period. See if you dad's computer can run an upgrade power supply, some mfgs will not let you use an off the shelf PSU on the older units.
Ted

Bjoern
June 23rd, 2009, 18:17
Oops, forgot to mention that. Or at least to put a "good" between "a" and "350". :d

RyanJames170
June 23rd, 2009, 18:38
Actually Bjoern it will run on a 350 watt power supply if it has enough amperage to do so. Many of the older 350 did not carry enough amperage to run this video card properly or at all. By using the card with a power supply that is inadequate he could actually damage it.

Ryan
So Ryan I suggest you check the amperage on the +12v side of the PSU and make sure it meets the mfgs specs for amperage. Also does the power supply you want to run it on have the correct pins for the video card? You may have to add an adapter wire if the amperage is good enough to run it....actually I would not do it....period. See if you dad's computer can run an upgrade power supply, some mfgs will not let you use an off the shelf PSU on the older units.
Ted

i will tare into it tomorrow after mine is humming away. i think it should have enough amperage its only 1 year 9 months old. i do have the adapter wires to. although i think it may not fit in there. card might just be to big lol
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

harleyman
June 24th, 2009, 04:03
Thanks txnetcop...I agree...

I would not try to run that card on any 350 ..Period....

But...Im hope you get it going correctly...

RyanJames170
June 24th, 2009, 05:40
Thanks txnetcop...I agree...

I would not try to run that card on any 350 ..Period....

But...Im hope you get it going correctly...

i agree yah why my puter has a 650 in it lol

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

harleyman
June 24th, 2009, 05:56
i agree yah why my puter has a 650 in it lol

<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>
Understood.....:applause: