PDA

View Full Version : More WIP

jdhaenens
June 22nd, 2009, 15:10
It was surprising to me how different hangers of the same basic design can be. This is just for placement/scaling purposes. I found some 1 ft. per pixel orthoimagery. I haven't color corrected or worked on it other than a quick cropping.

Cag40Navy
June 22nd, 2009, 15:15
what airport is this, its looking good!!:applause::ernae::applause:
may i ask where you got those building for FSX?

lucas81
June 22nd, 2009, 16:02
Jim, i am just curious, but do you guys have an access to the documentation of the older, mostly ww2, hangars ? Or do you build it using photographs only ?
I am asking because I think that it is possible to purchase such drawings/aerodrome schemes in the UK. Or is it just my imagination ? :) At least I know that huge aerodrome data of the old aerodromes is preserved there and, moreover, there are some dedicated publications and webstites. I was making some ww1 aerodrome sceneries for different sim engine and a friend from the UK send me some data depicting the RAC aerodromes in the past and how do they look in the presence.

Lucas

CG_1976
June 22nd, 2009, 16:38
You just made me one happy Coastie Jim.:applause::medals: Any chance I could get you to create a static Hu-16 please. Looks like Opa Locka is gonna get its CGAS

jdhaenens
June 22nd, 2009, 17:06
Lukasz,

I have stuff that will keep you busy for a while:

For US Hangers, I've been able to collect many drawings. My major source is the Historical and Architectural Overview
of Military Aircraft Hangars by the Army Corps of Engineers. This can be found Here:

http://owww.cecer.army.mil/techreports/Webster98/webster98_idx.htm

It has quite a few drawings.

Nissen and Navy Quonset huts can be found here:

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA266690&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf You have to use "Save Target As" for this one.

By the way, Look at all the bibliographies too. There's stuff to search for there as well.

There is also a Department of Defense Legacy Resource Management Program that has some reports available with pictures.

Another Resource is the Context Study of the UNITED STATES QUARTERMASTER GENERAL STANDARDIZED PLANS
1866 - 1942. Which can be found here:

http://aec.army.mil/usaec/cultural/docs.html

Along with another reference mostly for period buildings: National Historical Context for department of defense Installations.

For Brit Hangers, start here:

http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/publications/technical_bulletins/2002/tb02_02_drawings/tb_02-02.pdf

These are refs that I've found or been pointed towards over the last few years.

Enjoy!

PS @ CAG 40...I build 'em with GMAX and Photoshop.

There have been no right answers for location as yet...lol

Bone
June 22nd, 2009, 17:31
Nice Hangars.

lucas81
June 23rd, 2009, 04:16
Jim, thank you so much for many interesting links!
As for my country, there are mostly b/w pictures. There are few interesting objects around - few WW1 barracks and two steel A-H built hangars. For the 20-30's period, there are still some objects / airfields that have Modern Architecture. This is my favourite one.
Personally have digital drawings of the military hangar 55x45 meters from the 1928. I need to build it in the future.
Lucas

Matt Wynn
June 23rd, 2009, 04:45
yeah plans are always a handy resource to have, but they can be somewhat different to the finished building, if i plan on making hangars i make an effort to go see what they were like, i'm in the process of making a bunch of generic hangars for a library file, that way wherever i drop my hat i can call home...

back on topic, what program did you use to make them hangars/Buildings? and great work.... keep it up:icon29:

jdhaenens
June 23rd, 2009, 05:10
The 3D modeling program is GMAX and the Texture program is Adobe Photoshop.

astrojet
June 23rd, 2009, 05:19
NAS Corpus Christi?

jdhaenens
June 23rd, 2009, 05:27
We have a winner! Seems like everything I'm doing lately has a pier and seaplane ramps. Of course quite a few NAS's are located on the water...kinda makes sense.

Lionheart
June 23rd, 2009, 10:00
Man Jim,

One awesome endeavor here. That is alot of buildings and work.

:applause:

In doing the scenery for Valkyrie, it was indeed difficult to get really good data on hangers, as well as that there were so many different styles of hangers, be them in Germany, America, Sweden, England, Africa, Italy, etc, etc.. Difficult job..

Bill

Cag40Navy
June 23rd, 2009, 11:32
thanks jim, its lookin good and another boat ramp!:medals: SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!:ernae: finally, i can get use from these watercraft!:icon29:

CG_1976
June 23rd, 2009, 11:45
Boat ramp is even better for me. I have my USCG HU-16 #7245 waiting Jim.:medals: Make a great coastal flight from Brooklyn CGAS using your scenery and MoCats.

IanP
June 23rd, 2009, 12:14
For WW2 buildings, if you can get the drawing numbers, DoRIS at the RAF Museum in Hendon have copies of most of them which can be copied for a small fee. However, for £100 or so, there's a British Airfield Architecture book on Amazon which some crazy fool might want to buy. £20 ten years ago, now about five times that, only available in the US of A.

jdhaenens
June 23rd, 2009, 14:22
Reference material is getting too darned expensive for us freeware folks. I got a two volume set of "Naval Air Stations of WW II" and it cost me over $100.00.

Trans:

This is what they keep in the CG hangar (among other things). I think your Albatross will fit just fine.

lucas81
June 23rd, 2009, 14:57
I got mine references thanks to our aviation museum and some goodwill people. Yes, it is hard to collect all those drawings/data. But thanks to the forums like SOH, we can exchange our experience.
It is a really nice topic. Thanks!

CG_1976
June 23rd, 2009, 15:13
Reference material is getting too darned expensive for us freeware folks. I got a two volume set of "Naval Air Stations of WW II" and it cost me over $100.00.

Trans:

This is what they keep in the CG hangar (among other things). I think your Albatross will fit just fine.

Yummy a Falcon Drug Enforcer. Im moving my HU-16 to KNIP as I type. She'll patrol that area until scenery release.

jdhaenens
June 23rd, 2009, 19:22
OOPS... forgot to send along this link to drawings of British hangars:

http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/publications/technical_bulletins/2002/tb02drawings.php

Did I mention that I'm beginning to take a real dislike to the default concrete apron texture? Mine's looking a lot better I believe.