Crusader
October 18th, 2008, 06:05
Could someone post the High Priority entry in Windows . I've tried :

%comspec% /C "start /HIGHfsx.exe" and can't get to load

Thanks Rich

orionll
October 18th, 2008, 06:39
Huh?

I don't get what you're doing, but for what I've done to pretty much accomplish the same goal. To launch FSX at high priority, I made a batch file, as follows:

start /high fsx.exe

Put that in Notepad and save as a .bat file. It'll then launch FSX as high priority. Just replace all the shortcuts to FSX to the batch file, and change the shortcut(s)'s icons.

retired58
October 18th, 2008, 07:49
I use the same string but I have a space between high and fsx.exe and it works fine for me.

Crusader
October 18th, 2008, 07:58
Actually you solved the problem . The space was the problem .
Thanks to both for your replys .

Rich:ernae:

DaveKDEN
October 18th, 2008, 07:58
Huh?

I don't get what you're doing, but for what I've done to pretty much accomplish the same goal. To launch FSX at high priority, I made a batch file, as follows:

start /high fsx.exe

Put that in Notepad and save as a .bat file. It'll then launch FSX as high priority. Just replace all the shortcuts to FSX to the batch file, and change the shortcut(s)'s icons.

I'm intrigued, but also somewhat ignorant here. What does this batch file do for running FSX? Does it make FSX run or start faster? Also, where do you place the batch file after creating it?

VCN-1
October 18th, 2008, 07:59
What does this do?

??

VCN-1

retired58
October 18th, 2008, 08:30
It changes the priority for the fsx.exe process from normal to high. If you are familiar with the task manager then go to the process tab, select a process, right click on it, select set priority, and you will see the current priority for that process. Don't get greedy and make it realtime!

DaveKDEN
October 18th, 2008, 08:56
It changes the priority for the fsx.exe process from normal to high. If you are familiar with the task manager then go to the process tab, select a process, right click on it, select set priority, and you will see the current priority for that process. Don't get greedy and make it realtime!

So setting FSX to High priority will make it run better? Also, where do you place the batch file after creating it?

txnetcop
October 18th, 2008, 08:57

:costumes::costumes::costumes: yep real time can mess ya over real good
Ted

Bjoern
October 18th, 2008, 09:40
I would be careful with that. I've accidentially set FSX to "above normal" priority once and got a neat CTD when I ALT+Tab'ed. The sim itself stuttered as well.

orionll
October 18th, 2008, 09:54
So setting FSX to High priority will make it run better? Also, where do you place the batch file after creating it?
The batch file has to be in the same directory as FSX.

Also, what does the original poster's code do?

The same thing?

Crusader
October 18th, 2008, 10:22
The batch file has to be in the same directory as FSX.

Also, what does the original poster's code do?

The same thing?

The same thing I believe .

Rich

cheezyflier
October 18th, 2008, 10:30
alacrity pc

that's all i'm sayin'......:wavey:

flewpastu
October 18th, 2008, 10:30
is there anywhere this file could be downloaded ?

Bill

orionll
October 18th, 2008, 10:36
The same thing I believe .

Rich
Well, I'm thinking it'll achieve the same thing, but how?

Will it automatically set the process as high when FSX is launched?

Crusader
October 18th, 2008, 10:56
Well, I'm thinking it'll achieve the same thing, but how?

Will it automatically set the process as high when FSX is launched?

I'm sorry to say I can't answer that question . This change has been around for awhile now . Excuse my ignorance but I really don't know if it makes a significant difference or has a performance boost . From what I've read I assume it saves more of the systems resources for FSX . (I quess) Does it load FSX automatically at a higher priority , I don't know . Maybe someone will jump in here with alot more knowledge than me and answer our questions.

Rich

N2056
October 18th, 2008, 11:34
Actually, I did it by right-clicking on my shortcut and pasted that in as the target...it was a long time ago. Seemed to work better for me :d

orionll
October 18th, 2008, 11:53
Actually, I did it by right-clicking on my shortcut and pasted that in as the target...it was a long time ago. Seemed to work better for me :d
Ah, I see now. It can be used as a shortcut.

My way is harder and more complicated :P.

Whatever :d.

flewpastu
October 18th, 2008, 12:51
N2056 what exactly did you put in the target box, I cant get it to work ?

Bill

N2056
October 18th, 2008, 12:54
Copied straight from the box...%comspec% /C "start /High fsx.exe"
I have FSX installed to the default location.

flewpastu
October 18th, 2008, 13:05
Ok, when I do that is changes the shortcut FSX icon to the following

any idea's ?

Bill

N2056
October 18th, 2008, 13:16
Bill, no idea...sorry :isadizzy:
I run XP, and I did this way back when I got FSX 2 years ago. Here's what I have in the properties for my shortcut...

flewpastu
October 18th, 2008, 13:22
HMMMMM, this one is going to leave a mark I think. Thanks for the help.

Bill

Warrant
October 18th, 2008, 13:33
Don't have a clue what you folks talk (euhhh type) about....:isadizzy:

What is it this thingy does? :confused:

What is the most simple way to imply it? :sheep:

What do i gain if i do this little trick? :bump:

Please explain in language everybody understands:monkies:

Crusader
October 18th, 2008, 13:42
Bill, no idea...sorry :isadizzy:
I run XP, and I did this way back when I got FSX 2 years ago. Here's what I have in the properties for my shortcut...

Exactly the same way I have mine .

CodyValkyrie
October 18th, 2008, 14:08
I'd be interested to hear from a hardware not what exactly this does. I understand the basics of it, however, I am skeptical that it gives any additional boost. Now, if for example you were running a defragmentation device in the background, I could perhaps see the point ;)

flewpastu
October 18th, 2008, 14:33
Well, This does not seem to work for vista 64 bit, I just crashed my system. It wont boot FSX at all, I tried do a repair but to no avail :censored::censored::censored::censored:, well this is why we have forums so we can all learn from other peoples mistakes. I think that I will go cry now and start from zero tomarrow.

Bill

Crusader
October 18th, 2008, 15:13
Well, This does not seem to work for vista 64 bit, I just crashed my system. It wont boot FSX at all, I tried do a repair but to no avail :censored::censored::censored::censored:, well this is why we have forums so we can all learn from other peoples mistakes. I think that I will go cry now and start from zero tomarrow.

Bill

Don't give up Bill . Just make sure you copy and paste it exactly as it is written or it won't work or you can just delete the icon from the desktop that it created and go back into FSX main folder and copy the original fsx.exe back out to the desktop .

%comspec% /C "start /HIGH fsx.exe" (If you want to try it again here is what I have , I am running VISTA 64bit)

kilo delta
October 18th, 2008, 15:39
Personally I've never noticed any difference in the way FSX runs by altering it's priority.:kilroy: It would be much more beneficial to FS9/X by limiting the number of background running tasks. :)

Crusader
October 18th, 2008, 17:13
Personally I've never noticed any difference in the way FSX runs by altering it's priority.:kilroy: It would be much more beneficial to FS9/X by limiting the number of background running tasks. :)

I would say you're probably 100% correct here . I could never tell any difference myself .

Bjoern
October 19th, 2008, 07:24

Exactemundo.