PDA

View Full Version : Modifying global cameras

dswo
October 18th, 2008, 05:25
A. A good introduction to modifying the global camera system here: http://forums.flightsim.com/fswiki/index.php/FSX_GLOBAL_CAMERAS

B. About a year ago, I removed "Nearest Tower" view from my regular view cycle (the one you get by repeatedly pressing S). I can still get it through the Views menu, but when the tower is distant from your airplane, it can force a new set of textures to load, creating blurries when you return to spot or cockpit views. I find this is particularly helpful with photosceneries. If you want to do the same:

If you're running FSX, quit it.
Go to your FSX.cfg folder and make a backup copy of Cameras.cfg. NOTE: there is a backup copy of this file in your regular FSX folder, but modifying it won't have any effect. You want to work on the version that's stored in the same directory as FSX.cfg, usually C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX.
After you've made a backup copy (I name mine original.Cameras.cfg), open Cameras.cfg in Notepad or a similar editor. Scroll down to [CameraDefinition.007] and add the line indicated here in blue:

[CameraDefinition.007]
Title = Nearest Tower
Guid = {60BC0819-BD04-4AF6-8954-8FC8AA3545FF}
Description = This is the description of the tower view.
Origin = Tower
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = Track
ShowAxis = No
AllowZoom = Yes
InitialZoom = 8.0
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = FALSE
Transition = No
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Tower
ClipMode = Tower
NoSortTitle = True
CycleHidden=Yes // added
4. Save Cameras.cfg, reload FSX and test. Pressing S should now skip "Nearest Tower." Again, you can still get to it through the View menu.

EgoR64
October 18th, 2008, 06:01
:wavey:

Hi DSWO,

Great Advise, Thanks for HU !!

Cheers !!

orionll
October 18th, 2008, 06:39
Nice tip, thanks!

Marlin
October 18th, 2008, 09:01
Ahhhh, that is how you do it.

AckAck
October 18th, 2008, 13:25
Reading through the list, I can't help but think that most of the FS9 people would never get past #1:

1) If you're running FSX, quit it.

(some of the more vocal fs9 supporters might choose different words...)

Brian :costumes:

(and this hasn't really be edited by Tom@simTECH - at least I don't think it has)

GeorgeM
October 18th, 2008, 14:22
I added the same line to the [CameraDefinition.001] (the cockpit camera) to exclude the 2D panel from the VC view rotation. Like with the tower view you can still access it with a right-click.