PDA

View Full Version : OT The Place for Copper Pilots

gajit
June 21st, 2009, 13:46
Hi Ive been away from FSX enjoying the helicopter flying and blowing up the opfor in ARMA 2

Fixed wing is a bit crap but the rotary stuff is getting better considering it is not really a flight sim. Loads of free model addons already flooding in, and lots of graphic options.

Is anyone else out their flying in it?

Tako_Kichi
June 21st, 2009, 14:40
Still on ARMA 1 here but will be moving onwards and upwards at some point no doubt. The trouble is I will have to buy TWO copies as my wife is also a keen ARMA nut and my life won't be worth living if I get to upgrade and she doesn't! :isadizzy:

MCDesigns
June 21st, 2009, 15:23
Killer shot, what are the system requirements for 2? First person or third person view?

Tweek
June 21st, 2009, 15:46
Looks interesting. Had a look at the video on the official website, and it looks like it's sort of similiar to the Battlefield series. Am I right in thinking that or is it something quite different?

euroastar350
June 21st, 2009, 17:24
What does armed assault go for nowadays? Looks like I need to pick this game up when I get a chance.

Tako_Kichi
June 21st, 2009, 18:22
You can pick up ARMA 1 for about $10 US new on Ebay (that's where I got my second copy from) but ARMA 2 is a lot more than that seeing as it has only just been released. ARMA 2 is not an add-on or upgrade to ARMA 1 but a totally seperate program (much like FSX is not an add-on for FS2004).

They have made a LOT of improvements to ARMA 2 and I can see ARMA 1 slowly dieing as more people move over to the new format. The developer's, BIS Studios, have a policy of ongoing patches and there are already updates out for ARMA 2 and the English version has only been available for a few days (the German version was out about a month ago IIRC).

stiz
June 21st, 2009, 21:13
what are the system requirements for 2? First person or third person view?

Minimal PC Requirements

CPU: Dual Core Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz / Intel Core 2.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster
RAM: 1 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM or faster
Optimal PC Requirements

CPU: Intel Core 2.8 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT / ATI Radeon 4850 with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM or faster
basicly if you can run FSX pretty well you'd be able to run arma2 pretty well. Its also either 1st or 3rd person, players choice.

Looks interesting. Had a look at the video on the official website, and it looks like it's sort of similiar to the Battlefield series. Am I right in thinking that or is it something quite different?

Arma2 is about as different to BF2 as apples are to concreate :kilroy:

For starters Arma2 has:

225 km2 of real world data
1 million 3D objects
350 kilometers of roads
50 towns and villages
2 dams and numerous small lakes and ponds
Certain hilltops reach an altitude of over 700m
Almost 100km<SUP>2</SUP> of forests
Urban areas contain ports, factories
Military installations including large airfield
Direction and distance signs accompanying road network
Civilian population and wildlife

and you can wander round at your pleasure.

Also includes:

Player driven story
Role-playing and resource management elements. Command your troops through a branching campaign full of twists and surprises.

Extensive multiplayerPlay the entire solo campaign cooperatively or dive into huge PvP battles for control of the whole map

Mission Editor
The Intuituive, powerful mission editor lets you design your own missions in minutes or create intricate and unique campaigns. Infinitely extend the game!

Authentic weapon simulation
Bullet ballistics and deflection, material penetration, real-world magazine capacity, tracers, ammunition types and stopping power

Unique AI
No scripts, no pre defined pathways. AI adapt and use the open environment on the fly. AI share information, flanking and taking cover to surprise and outsmart players

Dynamic conversation system.
ArmA 2 integrates preset conversations with dynamic queries about the game environment. Talk to soldiers in the field and civilians caught up in the fighting. Soldiers shout and use hand gestures based on real world military doctrine

Plus theres a ton of different weapon systems rangeing from a pistol to a10s

http://www.arma2.com/

Also the multiplayer is great, SimHQ has a regular milatary monday night which is a must if you want to do some semi realistic coop, they havnt switched to arma2 yet but will do in the near future :jump:

gajit
June 21st, 2009, 23:04
Just messing about using the mission editor - me and the guys operating from the carrier..

An-225
June 22nd, 2009, 00:14
Not flying it right now, but I will be on the 26th, ArmA 2's release date in Australia. I can't get enough of cargo planes, so I'm looking forward to the C-130 and V-22.

BananaBob
June 22nd, 2009, 01:05
Love the graphics, too bad the engine is buggy as the movie Starship Troopers.

stiz
June 22nd, 2009, 01:27
I dont think its all that buggy personaly, yea theres a few but there not show stoppers. Ihe 1.2 patch improves a lot of things, also includeds an option to totaly disable the post processing :jump:

SirBenn21
June 22nd, 2009, 02:00
I really enjoyed the first Operation FlashPoint. Never really got into the follow-ons.
But seeing that I enjoy simulation... :kilroy:
Any good?

Ben

stiz
June 22nd, 2009, 02:26
best so far! :jump:

gajit
June 22nd, 2009, 07:51
I dont think its all that buggy personaly, yea theres a few but there not show stoppers. Ihe 1.2 patch improves a lot of things, also includeds an option to totaly disable the post processing :jump:

I agree Stiz

Now off to drive a tank first, then an boat, then a harrier then a either the Osprey or or or -- so much choice!!

BananaBob
June 22nd, 2009, 07:55
I agree Stiz

Now off to drive a tank first, then an boat, then a harrier then a either the Osprey or or or -- so much choice!!

Don't forget the Raid! :bump:

Tweek
June 22nd, 2009, 07:59
Cheers for that, Stiz. Will have to look into getting it.

IanP
June 22nd, 2009, 08:04
I've not seen a good review for it yet, unfortunately. As an ex-Squaddie, it really appeals to me the same as Op Flashpoint did, but apparently the AI leaves massive amounts to be desired and I've never really got on with PvP in OFP or ARMA.

I'll probably get it eventually, after the inevitable patches, but probably not just yet.

stiz
June 22nd, 2009, 08:30
but apparently the AI leaves massive amounts to be desired and I've never really got on with PvP in OFP or ARMA.

In arma they did leave quite a bit to be desired, however they've been massivly improved in Arma2 ...still not perfect but then they never will match players however thiers no more wedge formation out in the middle of the field whilst they get picked off and going through a wood or town is no problem whatsoever :jump:

IanP
June 22nd, 2009, 08:53
Every review I've seen so far has slated the AI, so it's interesting to hear a first hand comment. Thanks! :)

stiz
June 22nd, 2009, 09:16
yea i know, but then people who play games 24/7 know all the tricks in the book put them against recruit AI and they'll say how bad they are, yet stick a total novice against the same AI and they'll say how hard it is!

Heres some vids:

ba87Rr-F6os

a4NBuWuVRrA

there still a little buggy, special when driveing + flying, but its still a vast improvement over Arma1s AI.

MCDesigns
June 22nd, 2009, 09:40
Man, I hope that wasn't you Stiz in those videos, LOL.

first vid, what a terrible shot, LOL :running:

second vid, man, that map is a snipers dream. To bad you couldn't call in a gunship on that truck

Excellent graphics, will get this later this week.

Tako_Kichi
June 22nd, 2009, 09:48
The person in the first vid would have done a whole lot better if he was firing from the prone position. That rifle is almost useless when fired while standing.

Tako_Kichi
June 22nd, 2009, 09:54
To bad you couldn't call in a gunship on that truck
On some missions/game formats you can do just that plus arty strikes and can command teams of 'friendlies' so if you had the manpower you could have outflanked them.

One nice thing about ARMA is the huge fan base that turn out mods and missions at an amazing rate (it's a bit like FS freeware in that respect). There are many different ways to play ARMA but the best way by far IMHO is as a co-op with friends acting together as a 'unit'.

From what I understand a lot of the ARMA 1 mods/missions/scripts are still compatible with ARMA 2 which is great news.

IanP
June 22nd, 2009, 10:00
I just spent the second video shouting...

"Lie down you twonk!"
"Get your head back in!"
"Don't stand over the guy who's just been shot you muppet!"

...at the computer. And I was a lousy support arms soldier, let alone infantryman! :173go1::icon_lol:

Ho hum. Off to the shops I guess. Expect reports of me dying a lot shortly.

MCDesigns
June 22nd, 2009, 10:07
There are many different ways to play ARMA but the best way by far IMHO is as a co-op with friends acting together as a 'unit'.

That is my fav way of playing also, love it in GRAW

Ho hum. Off to the shops I guess. Expect reports of me dying a lot shortly.

LMAO, too funny!

stiz
June 22nd, 2009, 10:14
Man, I hope that wasn't you Stiz in those videos, LOL.

first vid, what a terrible shot, LOL :running:

nah wasnt me i'm glad to say :icon_lol:

Bjoern
June 22nd, 2009, 10:56
I really enjoyed the first Operation FlashPoint. Never really got into the follow-ons.

The good thing about OFP was the awesome storyline and the degree of freedom.

Also, the eastern european like landscape and buildings somehow made me feel "at home".
Something ArmA 1 never really could achieve.

Also I'll hold off ArmA 2 for another year or so when most bugs are fixed.

gajit
June 22nd, 2009, 15:50
I have found some very sexy female peasants on my travels!!

BladeLWS
June 22nd, 2009, 16:47
Hows this for ARMA 2? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khG8pVEmzO4&feature=related

MCDesigns
June 22nd, 2009, 17:44
Hows this for ARMA 2? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khG8pVEmzO4&feature=related

HOLY CRAP!! :eek::eek::eek: (that was awesome!)

BananaBob
June 22nd, 2009, 18:07
OK, that just made me a buyer, I hope you guys are right on this one not being buggy, I was jaded by the last one. :ernae:

Bjoern
June 22nd, 2009, 18:16
LoL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJyocJ_lSMc

- Edit:

Erm, Bob...this one's buggy as well. AI is said to be on vacation every once in a while.

stiz
June 22nd, 2009, 18:57
I hope you guys are right on this one not being buggy

It is still a little buggy, the worst bug is the AI driving skills, they where improved with the 1.2 patch but are still a bit dodgy :monkies:

Tako_Kichi
June 22nd, 2009, 20:18
That chicken clip was funny! I wonder if you can blow their feathers off if you toss a pineapple in amongst them! :icon_lol:

gajit
June 22nd, 2009, 22:34
Yep - have shot the dogs, cows, sheep, bores, rabbits etc

gajit
June 22nd, 2009, 23:35
Ive been trying to get these 3 to come flying in my Russian aircraft

gajit
June 22nd, 2009, 23:51
Here are some of the flyable choppers

MCDesigns
June 23rd, 2009, 02:26
Ive been trying to get these 3 to come flying in my Russian aircraft

Typical pickup line, LOL

I'm trying real hard to envision a "moral booster" for the troops :isadizzy:

gajit
June 23rd, 2009, 04:35
LOL - come and see my big chopper has worked in real life!!

Matt Wynn
June 23rd, 2009, 04:59
yet another reason for me to get a new PC this is, teach a few friends why we don't stick our heads round corners while looking for me, why is it us people with preference for sniper rifles are called cowards :icon_lol: just because we hide in bushes... in shadowy areas and generally out of view, its a great tactic. i'll have to stick to BF2 for now *cursing under breath*, what are the projectile physics like? i mean do the rounds drift if theres a breeze, elevation is counted for, just need the wind element :icon_lol: if i recall the M14 is designed as a short/mid range snipers weapon, and the M24SWS is fully mid range and Barret M series are long range... what weapons are accounted for as standard?

Found this vid that gave me a chuckle.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OFO0sqmqi4

stiz
June 23rd, 2009, 07:40
not sure about wind but bullet drop over distance is certainly modeled, as is penertration to a degree

Tako_Kichi
June 23rd, 2009, 09:42
yet another reason for me to get a new PC this is, teach a few friends why we don't stick our heads round corners while looking for me, why is it us people with preference for sniper rifles are called cowards :icon_lol: just because we hide in bushes... in shadowy areas and generally out of view, its a great tactic.
You would probably like one of the missions I made for ARMA 1. It was designed to be played either as a small group co-op (2-4 players) or as a single player acting as a sniper. The scenario was an enemy infiltration had taken place overnight and they had captured a village and a large section of the coastal road leading to it. The task was to recapture the town taking out as many of the enemy as possible in the process. For the sniper role I placed boxes of weapons and ammo on the tops of all the mountain peaks that ran parallel to the coast road (as if they had been air dropped there by helicopter) and the sniper's task was to pick off what he could while making his way along the ridge to the captured village. That task was made harder by enemy snipers on the opposing hills and by teams of enemy AI who had infiltrated behind him and could get him from behind if he wasnt careful. It was a lot of fun to play and while there were no tanks there were Humvees with guns, a 'Little Bird' and Blackhawk and motorcycles for the friendly side while the opfor had UAZs with guns and BRDMs as well as infantry. All vehicles and players respawned at the main base when destroyed/killed.

IanP
June 23rd, 2009, 10:46
The only "mission" I managed to make for any of these was in OFP - two RIBs to come ashore with a load of British Marines on, they unloaded, moved into a village and had to kill a truckload of OPFOR that came down the road.

I tried the making the same thing in ArmA, none of the triggers would work so I gave up and never went back to it.

P.S. I'm dying a lot. :engel016:

Matt Wynn
June 23rd, 2009, 11:28
Ian Remember what the Army taught you ;) and try sticking to it :icon_lol: remember though incoming fire has right of way :icon_lol:

Tako_Kichi
June 23rd, 2009, 11:29
Ian Remember what the Army taught you ;) and try sticking to it :icon_lol: remember though incoming fire has right of way :icon_lol:
....and tracers work both ways!

Matt Wynn
June 23rd, 2009, 11:51
lol, yup, murphys laws of combat, they are so correct, also remember "do not land thy helicopter in the open......."

IanP
June 23rd, 2009, 12:10
Mine right now would be "lack of antialiasing does not a good marksman make"...

...when I was in a green skin, no-one had heard of antialiasing. :icon_lol:

djscoo
June 23rd, 2009, 12:15
Did someone say "copper pilot"?

3518:running:

stiz
June 23rd, 2009, 13:04
Mine right now would be "lack of antialiasing does not a good marksman make"...

...when I was in a green skin, no-one had heard of antialiasing. :icon_lol:

install patch 1.2 then in the Arma2.cfg file (My Documents\ArmA 2, open it with notepad) then change FSAA=0; to anything between 0 and 4, 0 being off and 4 being 4xAA. Just note however its not fully supported yet and disables shadows, but should be fully supported in patch 1.3

:wavey:

IanP
June 23rd, 2009, 13:37
Well somehow, clicking something, I managed to turn it on. Suddenly I have completed training, two missions and the first couple of rounds of the campaign without being hit, let alone killed.

And yeah, I'm on "recruit". I'm a coward. And I was only ever a trainee REMF, never even got to be a real one. :icon_lol:

stiz
June 25th, 2009, 07:40
demos out for those who want to give it a go. Its 2,909.3 MB !

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74668

djscoo
June 25th, 2009, 07:55
I'm in the process of cleaning up my hard drive to make room. I've been waiting for arma2 since before there was even an official website for it. The suspense is killing me!:mixedsmi:

djscoo
June 25th, 2009, 10:55
demos out for those who want to give it a go. Its 2,909.3 MB !

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74668

For those in areas where Arma 2 hasn't come out yet, the demo is also available through Steam when you preorder. It seems to be downloading a bit faster for me.:ernae: