PDA

View Full Version : I'm coming to the experts

JimC1702
June 21st, 2009, 12:29
I've had a problem for some time with FSX that is driving me insane. The problem is green water in certain locations.

I mostly fly in the northeast, and mostly in upstate NY. For some reason now, the Hudson River is green from just north of NYC to just south of Glens Falls, NY. The Mohawk River is green from the Hudson, to west of Schenectady where it abruptly turns blue.

The Great Lakes are blue, Oneida Lake is blue, the Great Sacandaga Lake is blue, but Saratoga Lake is green, Lake George is green and Lake Champlain is green. I've tried varieties of settings to no avail.

I suspect it has something to do with REX as it didn't use to be this way.

I'm using UTX-USA, GEX, and REX. I've turned off the UTX waterclass. Made no difference. I have no other sceneries installed for this area.

Thanks,
Jim

CG_1976
June 21st, 2009, 12:50
Excellent ? Jim. Im having about the same issue around Wisconsin's Great Lakes, Fox River, Wolf River.

atf300
June 21st, 2009, 13:30
st. patrick's day leftovers ? :)

Cactuskid
June 21st, 2009, 15:34
I've had better luck with FEX for more accurate water colors.

warchild
June 21st, 2009, 15:58
REX has several different water schemes going as well as the ability to allow you to edit the waters color plus other variables yourself using a graphical interface.. you can makeit as real as you want..

JimC1702
June 21st, 2009, 17:44
I've set the inland water to deep blue in REX, but it still shows up hideous green.

Jim

cheezyflier
June 21st, 2009, 18:21
maybe they are sooo accurate, they even model heavy pollution? :173go1:

timest
June 22nd, 2009, 08:21
Hi Jim:

Have you tried changing the colors in REX? If so which TAB did you change, the INLAND BLUE or INLAND BROWN? I have attached a GUI shot showing which one I changed and the results in-game. Also, are you using FSWC for water effects?

If you have any questions in regards to REX, feel free to come by the forum and ask us ;)

Regards,
Tim

JimC1702
June 22nd, 2009, 10:18
Hi Tim,

I have messed with the Inland Blue settings, particularly the plankton but it didn't resolve the green water issue.

Let me be a little more specific about what might be happening here. In the default FSX scenery, the Mohawk River ends between Amsterdam and Schenectady, NY, and I believe the upper part of the Hudson River is not displayed either. With UTX-USA, the Mohawk River is displayed for it's entire length, as is the upper Hudson. I think maybe FSX is seeing these as two different types of water bodies, since the default part of the Mohawk is green and the part added by UTX is blue.

But I also have two lakes, basicly side by side, Round Lake and Saratoga Lake. Round Lake is blue, Saratoga Lake is green. I had screenshots but I think I deleted them. I'll grab some more and post on the REX forum.

Thanks,
Jim

jdhaenens
June 22nd, 2009, 11:59
Lived in Saratoga for four years while stationed at Knolls Atomic Power Labs and as I recall, Saratoga Lake was green during the spring runoffs and didn't really clear up till mid summer. Don't really recall too much about Round Lake, but Microsoft and UTX do have definite color anomalies.

Jim

timest
June 22nd, 2009, 12:31
Jim,

UTX does not change water textures it simply changes waterclass. Make the changes in the REX interface to change the colors. Have you even tried this yet?

Looking forward to continuing this and helping you on our forum.

peter12213
June 22nd, 2009, 16:04
Try fswc water configurator its really good and free http://www.fswaterconfigurator.com/downloads.htm

BananaBob
June 22nd, 2009, 17:13
Yeah, I love REX because I can come up with different colors and then test them, I'm happy where I'm at right now though.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2100/2009615333631.jpg

JimC1702
June 22nd, 2009, 17:59
Here's a shot of what I'm seeing with the river, you can see the abrupt change of colors.

And the difference in these two lakes.

Jim

BananaBob
June 22nd, 2009, 18:58
I think the abrupt changes are more noticeable when water is at lower settings, what setting do you have your water on? I keep mine one notch away from full, but of course if your hardware can't handle that, it's probably moot. I think it's a shader or something that makes the water look like it's moving and reflective, not sure though.

timest
June 22nd, 2009, 19:03
Jim it looks as if you are using the 1x shader water, correct? Even if you use the 2x LOW setting your water takes on the "tone" of the sky color at any given time. It really helps.

Look at my post above with the GUI screenshot of the color settings in the INLAND BROWN tab. That is the area you need to colorize to your taste.

JimC1702
June 23rd, 2009, 03:05
I'll have to check my settings. I have always used 2 low, but perhaps it got changed accidentally.

jim