PDA

View Full Version : Re-Install Problem

LTCSZ
June 20th, 2009, 17:09
I had recently un-installed FSX to perform some hard drive maintainence and now, when I try to re-install the program, I keep getting a message telling me that there is a later version of FSX installed and the install process cannot continue...I have removed all traces of FSX that I can find and have run several cleaner programs to no avail...Any help appreciated!

Steve in Kansas

harleyman
June 20th, 2009, 19:07
This can be a pain....

Go ahead and let it repair your install from the disks when you try to reinstall it...

Then after that uninstall FSX thru the disk itself, not add / remove programs or CCLeaner...

LTCSZ
June 21st, 2009, 05:45
I don't get the option to repair..It goes right to the "later version" message and then I have to exit...

Steve

bushpilot
June 21st, 2009, 06:00
I'm having troubles also... it's now my second day of trying reinstall FSX. Setup goes all the way to the end and then stops giving error message.

I'm now experimenting with the tool I found from Microsoft site, it might be worth the try for you also http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928080

waco
June 21st, 2009, 06:25
Have you deleted the FS9 folder in "C drive/Documents & settings/User/Application data/Microsoft/FS9" before reinstalling? That's the path in XP, anyway. You have to put a bullit in "Show hidden files and folders" in Folder Options in the Control Panel for this. And use a registry cleaner, also. Haven't got Vista.

harleyman
June 21st, 2009, 06:56
Hmmm

Where did you remove FSX from???

Try using CCleaner tool to uninstall...

They all still can leave FSX in many locations....

In Vista under Roaming

In XP in program files too...

Plus it leaves many entries in your regestry too..

But typically uninstalling from the FSX disk will get you there..Then manually remove all entries...

Sometimes from Add / Remove Prograams(calles something different in Vista) will get you there too.....

gigabyte
June 21st, 2009, 07:13
I had recently un-installed FSX to perform some hard drive maintainence and now, when I try to re-install the program, I keep getting a message telling me that there is a later version of FSX installed and the install process cannot continue...I have removed all traces of FSX that I can find and have run several cleaner programs to no avail...Any help appreciated!

Steve in Kansas

Hi Steve, I had a simular problem last year, and one of our ever so helpful members sent me the instructions he received from MS Support (I believe it was Cheezy Flyer). They worked like a charm, I will have them in a PDF if you want to PM me your eMail I can send them to you.

Note to Self - Self ask Ickie to post them in the Tips secion.

LTCSZ
June 21st, 2009, 12:52
I finally got it to re-install by using a program called "msicuu2.exe"...Apparently it goes in and removes the MS Installer records left over by previous MS program installations...You can choose which programs you want to clean...Even though I thought I had removed all traces of FSX, it still found traces of FSX and the SDK...It took a while to run and I almost canceled it, but it eventualy finished and now everything is working fine...I am sure there are other ways to remove FSX that don't require all this hassle, but I "got 'er done" anyway...Thanks to all for the advice and support...

Steve in Kansas

bushpilot
June 21st, 2009, 12:59
Ok, thanks for the tip. I'm trying "msicuu2.exe" next, might be my last resort before reformatting my system:mixedsmi::mixedsmi:.

harleyman
June 21st, 2009, 13:35
Glad to hear you got it now..:applause:

The think about FSX is that it puts files everywhere..You also need to really search the regestry to find it all too...A real pain ...

gigabyte
June 21st, 2009, 17:20
Glad to hear you got it now..:applause:

The think about FSX is that it puts files everywhere..You also need to really search the regestry to find it all too...A real pain ...

There is a good freeware install cleaner, I have used it mostly for apps we use at work, but I have had luck with some "Problem Children Games" as well - Revo Uninstaller. Here is the web site; http://www.revouninstaller.com/

I have not used it for FSX "yet" but I have found it very useful, the MS Install cleaner I spoke about (the instructions should be posted soon - thanks to Harleyman) is quite involved, and Revo offers a few options, take you pick I guess but I have had great success with both over the past couple of years.