PDA

View Full Version : Posted: Type VII U Boat

Tango_Romeo
October 18th, 2008, 03:30
Just uploaded a new German Type VII U Boat. It should be available for download this afternoon. :wavey:

Dirtman
October 18th, 2008, 08:29
VERY NICE - Heir Tango Doenitz :medals: :medals:

I vill be lookink forvard to zinking der Tommy Korvettes mit dez nu U-boot!!!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Rocktser2
October 18th, 2008, 11:02
Looking forward to sea patrol................

miamieagle
October 18th, 2008, 13:33
Thank you TR!:jump:

Ravenna
October 18th, 2008, 17:18
:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Tango_Romeo
October 18th, 2008, 17:21
....is working up the files to make her a 'player boat', while I'm working on the animated model to handle submerging and hopefully rotating deck guns....at least to the broadside position for sinking those pesky little ships not worth a torpedo. :costumes:

I'll do a 'Type VII Submerged' version, if anyone is interested. Like the earlier 'Whiskey Submerged', it can add a lot of fun to missions by allowing you to attack a boat at periscope/snorkel depth. Speak up, or I'll figure there's no need to do one. :running:

Jagdflieger
October 18th, 2008, 17:54
Another nice addition to the CFS 2 fleet. Many thanks for the effort on this one.

Speaking of effort, leave it to the Rockster to destroy hours of work with just one careless toggle of the "Bombs Away" button!:costumes:

gavinc
October 19th, 2008, 03:45
I'll do a 'Type VII Submerged' version, if anyone is interested. Like the earlier 'Whiskey Submerged', it can add a lot of fun to missions by allowing you to attack a boat at periscope/snorkel depth. Speak up, or I'll figure there's no need to do one. :running:

Yes please

Gavin

Tango_Romeo
October 19th, 2008, 10:54
...though there seems to be little to no interest in ships in general and particularly in subs ( I suppose because CFS2 is a FS and subs pretty much look alike), I will do a submerged version of of the VII and post it to complete the package....the submerged versions are such fun to attack, being susceptible to bombs rockets and to some extent strafing. :wavey:

I do believe that PSULLYKEYS will finish developing the 'player version' of the VII when I complete the animated model file that will submerge on command and rotate her deck guns.

However, I am moving plans for additional ship production (the Type iX German boat and the Japanese B3 and Tanake to the bottom of my 'to do' list due to the lack of demand. :banghead:

erufle
October 19th, 2008, 11:31
I am gonna use your new U-boat to replace the SHJ_SUB in my European and Mediterranean installs. I added the pilkill sound effects and renamed the main folder and dp file to shj_sub. Also made the appropriate changes to the ship.cfg file. I hope its not too hard to sink, or that the gunner is not too good. Based on the bitmaps in the download, it should look a lot better than the stock one. Ya don't think it will kill FRs do ya?

Ravenna
October 19th, 2008, 19:04
....is working up the files to make her a 'player boat', while I'm working on the animated model to handle submerging and hopefully rotating deck guns....at least to the broadside position for sinking those pesky little ships not worth a torpedo. :costumes:

Oops...just saw this. A great idea,and a perfect partner for Stuart Green's Sunderland!

Tango_Romeo
October 19th, 2008, 20:33
I've just posted a nice upgrade for the Type VII. It contains a updated MDL file and two new textures....one for the 11th U Boat Flotilla (Polar Bear) and one for the 9th Flotilla (Sawfish). All you need to do is replace the original MDL and VII.BMP with the new one. The alternate (9th) texture will need to be renamed to be used.:d

It should be up tomorrow for download.

Tango_Romeo
October 19th, 2008, 20:37
I've also just posted the Type VII Submerged. It should be available for download tomorrow as well.

It's a complete download of the newest version running at periscope depth. All you will see above the surface is the periscope and a small bow wave. You can see her shadow from altitude, if you have Aircraft Shadows enabled in Settings.

She can be successfully attacked with bombs, depth charges, rockets and guns. :d

Jagdflieger
October 19th, 2008, 20:42
Thanks TR!

Tango_Romeo
October 19th, 2008, 20:42
....now complete and awaiting a fitted DP, but will be posted in a few days,
She will submerge/surface using the EXITS key command, and is armed with both guns and the trusty (if crusty) MK10 torpedo. In short, she works pretty much like the original player version of the Gato. :d

Unfortunately, I have been unable to integrate animated deck guns with a model that submerges.....maybe I can solve the problem later. :wavey:

PSULLYKEYS
October 20th, 2008, 06:13
Great Work TR!!!!:ernae: Time to get the GC Flower in the attack mode..heh, heh....

Skipsan
October 20th, 2008, 08:04
BZ: :ernae::ernae: Wonderful rendition on the U Boat:applause: Question on the dp; she is showing a 25mm as the only top side weapon. I check with Naval Weapons of the World:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_20mm-65_c30.htm

for the aft; 2 cm/65 (0.79") C/38 AA MG. And:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_88mm-45_skc35.htm

for the forward; 8.8 cm/45 (3.46") SK C/35. The deck gun hold true until sometime in 1942. I redid the gunnery dp's to reflect this hoverer I'm not sure on the deck coordinates for the weapons nor there truncheon height's:banghead: Ammunition stowage per gun is as shown and Approximate Barrel Life = max load "last number in the gun line"

Skipsan:kilroy:

gavinc
October 20th, 2008, 08:51
Hi TR,
Just to let you know that I am really enjoying the new u-boat.

and don't worry I haven't even scratched the paint yet. My next request is for you to built something large enough for me to actually be able to hit:costumes:.

Thanks
Gavin

Tango_Romeo
October 20th, 2008, 14:48
BZ: :ernae::ernae: Wonderful rendition on the U Boat:applause: Question on the dp; she is showing a 25mm as the only top side weapon. I check with Naval Weapons of the World:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_20mm-65_c30.htm

for the aft; 2 cm/65 (0.79") C/38 AA MG. And:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_88mm-45_skc35.htm

for the forward; 8.8 cm/45 (3.46") SK C/35. The deck gun hold true until sometime in 1942. I redid the gunnery dp's to reflect this hoverer I'm not sure on the deck coordinates for the weapons nor there truncheon height's:banghead: Ammunition stowage per gun is as shown and Approximate Barrel Life = max load "last number in the gun line"

...The sub already has an 88mm deck gun forward and a 20mm aft....at least visually. I didn't do the DP, so I don't even know what it shows. Since it is an AI ship, her AAA capability is almost null anyhow...25mm or 20mm. But you're welcome to modify it to your satisfaction. Why not post the new DP here with a TXT extension, so others can enjoy your work? :d

Sully is doing the DP for the player version, for which he will be paying close attention to detail. :male:

Tango_Romeo
October 20th, 2008, 14:52
My next request is for you to built something large enough for me to actually be able to hit:costumes:.

...a Type IX Flak Boat, but she's so heavily armed with AAA that you won't want to attack her. :costumes::costumes::costumes:

The I-68/I-168 is on the ways for the next sub project. She's 336' long....and will make a much bigger target for you verses the smaller 200'
VII. :d

Skipsan
October 21st, 2008, 14:49
Tango_Romeo as requested; updated dp for your outstanding "U Boat" in txt formate:

Trunnion height's are approximated base on others. Gunnstaion coordinates are approximate all other date is correct I did leave the 8.8cm with the flak turned on just change the [=4 to a =0] and that will take care of that item. It works will on my machine "no melt down":redf: your on your own my piggy bank is out of chase:d

Enjoy:jump: Man I hope this works Skipsan:kilroy:

PS: Can not waite for you flak one:kilroy:

Tango_Romeo
October 21st, 2008, 14:58
Tango_Romeo as requested; updated dp for your outstanding "U Boat" in txt formate:

Trunnion height's are approximated base on others. Gunnstaion coordinates are approximate all other date is correct I did leave the 8.8cm with the flak turned on just change the [=4 to a =0] and that will take care of that item. It works will on my machine "no melt down":redf: your on your own my piggy bank is out of chase:d

Enjoy:jump: Man I hope this works Skipsan:kilroy:

PS: Can not waite for you flak one:kilroy:

I hope you matched the muzzle flash positions with the gun barrels. Trying her out tonight. :costumes:

The FLAK was turned-off on purpose because first of all the AIs wil not fire the 88 at player aircraft, and secondly because with the FLAK turned-off the AI's will fire the 88 at player ships, which they will not do with the FLAK turned-on. We need to get you up to speed on what we're doing here. :d

I didn't say anything about doing a Type IX FLAK boat. If I do, it will have a realistic DP that will make her very, very risky to attack....as was the case in WWII. Are you putting words in my mouth, or was that just wishful thinking? :kilroy:

Tango_Romeo
October 21st, 2008, 15:04
...infamous 336' I-68/I-168! :ernae:

Jaxon
October 21st, 2008, 15:52
Hi Tango!
I played with your nice Sub this evening, too.
You know, there are already Type VII submarines out there for CFS2, but none of them is of decent technique, I think.

So I looked very much forward to your new creation.
You know, I have collected quite a few images and such for the subs similar to my airplane collection and hoped to finally found the canvas to paint one or the other.

I made a good start, but ran into troubles soon, when noticing, you have used the same area on the bmp for several surfaces.

So please, please: May I ask you to look again at your VII and retexture a few parts? I saw, you have planned to do so, because there are a few areas on the bmp, actually not used?
Also, I would like to see the so called "wintergarten", the upper reling around the rear gun being touched again. It had two rows, not one.
Actually the lower was made of seats, see the following link

http://www.dream-arts.info/shopdata/0030_U-Boot+T=FCrme/index.html

Make sure to browse the whole site ("Mehr details" at right & Katalogübersicht on top - lots of info there!)

Finally I think the upper deflection-shield at the bridge should be added.

I know I am a nitpicker here, but I think your model is already at such a high level, I think it would be shame not to add the last stuff.
Please think about it!
--

The FLAK Version is probably the same, the Groundcrew built some time ago. As above, I look very much forward to a more decent version as well.
Anyhow, I have attached a screenie of the GC one.

The most famous FLAK boat was U-441, a total loss on the first mission. Found by Beaufighters and sent down on the first engagement, what resulted in the abortion of the last planned conversions.

http://uboat.net/boats/u441.htm
http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/4305-bilder/u441/u441-flakboot.htm

General turret links
http://www.u-historia.com/uhistoria/tecnico/articulos/aatipo7/aatipo7.htm

And something to smile:
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/cat/9449/display/10513423

Keep up your nice work,

A happy skipper

:wavey:

Skipsan
October 21st, 2008, 19:27
OK the 8.8cm has been taken care of in my last:d :banghead:Now let me correct the 2cm AA MG; change out the "=0 to read =1". That well change it from primer to secondary gun. And:isadizzy:turn on the tracers:icon_lol: That "should bring the dp in to compliance":redf:

I hope Skipsan:kilroy:

Tango_Romeo
October 21st, 2008, 19:43
OK the 8.8cm has been taken care of in my last:d :banghead:Now let me correct the 2cm AA MG; change out the "=0 to read =1". That well change it from primer to secondary gun. And:isadizzy:turn on the tracers:icon_lol: That "should bring the dp in to compliance":redf:

I hope Skipsan:kilroy:

....it both ways.

We just finished the Player version of the VII boat, and I hope to post it tomorrow. I just got the 'player' files from Sully and have to put it all together. :wavey:

Tango_Romeo
October 21st, 2008, 19:47
Hi Tango!
I played with your nice Sub this evening, too.
You know, there are already Type VII submarines out there for CFS2, but none of them is of decent technique, I think.

So I looked very much forward to your new creation.
You know, I have collected quite a few images and such for the subs similar to my airplane collection and hoped to finally found the canvas to paint one or the other.

I made a good start, but ran into troubles soon, when noticing, you have used the same area on the bmp for several surfaces.

So please, please: May I ask you to look again at your VII and retexture a few parts? I saw, you have planned to do so, because there are a few areas on the bmp, actually not used?
Also, I would like to see the so called "wintergarten", the upper reling around the rear gun being touched again. It had two rows, not one.
Actually the lower was made of seats, see the following link

Make sure to browse the whole site ("Mehr details" at right & Katalogübersicht on top - lots of info there!)

Finally I think the upper deflection-shield at the bridge should be added.

I know I am a nitpicker here, but I think your model is already at such a high level, I think it would be shame not to add the last stuff.
Please think about it!
--

The FLAK Version is probably the same, the Groundcrew built some time ago. As above, I look very much forward to a more decent version as well.
Anyhow, I have attached a screenie of the GC one.

The most famous FLAK boat was U-441, a total loss on the first mission. Found by Beaufighters and sent down on the first engagement, what resulted in the abortion of the last planned conversions.

http://uboat.net/boats/u441.htm
http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/4305-bilder/u441/u441-flakboot.htm

General turret links
http://www.u-historia.com/uhistoria/tecnico/articulos/aatipo7/aatipo7.htm

And something to smile:
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/cat/9449/display/10513423

Keep up your nice work,

A happy skipper

....where you were on this one! :costumes:

Thanks for the suggestions....I had thought about both, but was pretty tired of looking at the MDL and a number of design issues and put those off until another day. An excuse for another upgrade. I'm just a lousy texture guy too....no artistic talent. LOL :banghead:

Tango_Romeo
October 22nd, 2008, 01:08
Sully has completed his file set for the player version of the VII boat, and I am assembling it now. Hope to get it posted tomorrow. :ernae:

Tango_Romeo
October 22nd, 2008, 01:10
.....Nice little repaint of the VII boat! Where were you when I needed a skin man???????? :costumes:

gavinc
October 22nd, 2008, 03:20
Hey Jaxon,
hopefully you are going to post your U-Boat repaints. Not to denigrate TR's works of art, but a bit of choice is always nice.

slightly OT
I am sure most of you are aware of the site UBoat.net - The U-boat War 1939-1945 but if by chance you have missed it ....
http://uboat.net/

Gavin

Jaxon
October 22nd, 2008, 03:43
Tango, I fully understand it.
Jaxon again, waits until the work is done and starts opening the mouth!
And I am very sorry for that.

The problem is - even if interested in the same topic:
All included in a possible project must be interested at the same time AND have the same free space in the schedule.

At the moment I have not. What you see is a quick work, just to see where on the bmp you textured what.

If you think, you aren´t a good painter, that is absolutely no probem.
Actually, you can even leave it white, or better: texture it with a blueprint.

This way possible skinners (and we have quite a few very talented here) sooner or later will pick up the beauty and dress her.

"Just" make sure, the textures are placed in a painter friendly way, that would be very welcome.

I have put my hands on so many textures for aircraft models, only to see after half the work was done, that a certain important part uses a part of the texture appearing elsewhere as well.
When all is OliveDrab, this is no problem, but when the aircraft has a custom paint, it looks silly.

Anyhow,
I don´t have asked for an immediately update. But please think about it, for example before you start the FLAK version!

Jaxon
October 22nd, 2008, 03:50
Gavinc, at the moment I am not happy with the paint.
The large side bubbles look stupid. But they use part of the turret.
If you have an urgent need, I can send it to you - but I will definatley not upload it.
(I hope I can force Tango into work again this way ;) )

Tango_Romeo
October 22nd, 2008, 17:21
The large side bubbles look stupid. But they use part of the turret.;) )

NO...NO...NO! The 'side bubbles' (saddle tanks) do not use the same texture as the 'turret' (conning tower)! Look at the BMP again.....the conning tower is vertically oriented, while the tanks are horizontally oriented. They use the same texture, but from two totally separate parts of the BMP map. :d

You can easily retexture the tanks without effecting the tower, or vice-versa.

Do the texture you like for the VII Boat when you get a chance, and I will put her on mapped correctly....let me know.
:ernae:

Tango_Romeo
October 22nd, 2008, 22:05
...of the Type VII. She should be available tomorrow for download. :running:

Bill Kestell
October 25th, 2008, 10:59
:ernae:I just love all these nice, new boats ... nice replacements for the M/S versions and fun to do some "scooting and shooting". If not an inappropriate place to bring this up, might you consider a "Type A" midget? I have one (maybe Usio's?) and I made it "fly and shoot" but it will not submerge and has the cradle permanently attached to it.

I think this would be nice because maybe someone would make a Pearl Harbor add-on mission to the forthcoming release which would be one of operating inside the harbor with a Midget. That might be fun.

Just a thought.:kilroy:

Tango_Romeo
October 25th, 2008, 14:14
.....requires animation added in the FSDS2 FSC file used to produce the MDL. While creating a player boat only requires altering/creating new CFG and AIR files. :ernae:

I feel like a disk-jockey on the 7-11 request line, but I'll put it on my list. :costumes:

Bill Kestell
October 25th, 2008, 16:06
:ernae:Thanks, TR ... I know I have the easy job ... dreaming up work for everyone else ... the idle mind is the Devil's workshop!:isadizzy:

Tango_Romeo
October 25th, 2008, 17:10
:ernae:Thanks, TR ... I know I have the easy job ... dreaming up work for everyone else ... the idle mind is the Devil's workshop!:isadizzy:

...condition around CFS2 resulting from too few designers at work, and we lose more every day. :banghead:

Unfortunately, this is accounting for fewer and fewer improved models being introduced. And after the gorge of new models to which CFS2 enthusiasts have become accustomed over the years, we have become a community with an insatiable appetite and the attention span of a two-year-old. I fear we are 'in entropy's jaws', so to speak. :costumes:

I keep trying to talk some of our 'Converters' and 'Tinkerers' into doing some original work. Designing is surely demanding, but 'it ain't rocket science' either. I and others will be glad to help any aspiring designers to get started in either the FSDS2 or G-Max genres. It looks like we may have some newcomers in OBIO and PSULLYKEYS, as I know both of them to be involved in tutorial activities of one sort or another. :ernae:

Rami
October 27th, 2008, 05:47
Tango Romeo,

Forgive me for overseeing this. :redf: She will make a handy stablemate to my long-serving Groundcrew U-boats. Great work! :ernae:

Skipsan
October 27th, 2008, 13:07
An updated dp on TR's Type-VIIc oil leak's & slicks with debris:iidea: This is for the AI model type 7. Guns and rockets will do the job:jump:
Just change the file extension .txt to .dp and away ya go!

Thank you TR:applause::applause::applause:

Tango_Romeo
October 27th, 2008, 13:13
You do good work.....for a rivet-counter. :costumes:

Can't wait to try her out tonight.:jump:

Tango_Romeo
October 27th, 2008, 22:46
This is a much-improved version of the earlier Type_7_Uboat. Improvements include:

- More realistic hull texture by PSULLYKEYS:medals:
- Improved DP by SKIPSAN (You'll think you ran into a FLAK boat.):medals:
- Resolved texture conflicts on conning tower and deck
- More realistic conning tower, including added AAA rails and splash deflectors in upper and lower positions (just to keep Jaxon off my back) :costumes::costumes:
- Repositoned saddle tanks
- Lower poly-count MDL file for higher FPS

Essentially this is a total replacement for the original. It should be up for download tomorrow. :wavey:

And yes, I'm through with this freaking pigboat! :isadizzy:

Jagdflieger
October 28th, 2008, 00:52
Thanks TR. She's already a great boat, now she's even better.

Jaxon
October 28th, 2008, 02:26
I am glad I pushed you the last two feet forward.

Now, it looks like a VII to me!

Many thanks!

Now, I owe you a skin, as promised in the PM.

Jagdflieger
October 29th, 2008, 18:29
Definately worth the extra time and effort TR.