June 20th, 2009, 06:16
Gentlemen, I have come to the outhouse to get some advise

In Keeping it as simple as possible, Build or Buy a gaming computer

Wants and needs:
Sim computer only
Not over the top but made with possible upgrades in mind

Run FX mainly and fs9, Xplane and some of the sim games will be used

I'm not a computer nut I know enough to get into trouble
after some research... outhouse, toms, new egg for home builds and visiting gaming computer sites to compare prices

To spend $1500 to $2000 and then to only have me to go to for support is a very scary though indeed

Warranty seem like a good idea when I consider me into the factor!

Operating systems alone right now XP/Vista/W7 and then 32 vs 64

I do realize the this is a ever changing technology but in making this purchase I want to be satisfied for at least a couple years, four years is the goal, as my wife would @^&@^@)#^@!%# me at a couple.

I'v come to a conclusion I'm totally confused :isadizzy:

Stu

txnetcop
June 20th, 2009, 06:37
Gentlemen, I have come to the outhouse to get some advise

In Keeping it as simple as possible, Build or Buy a gaming computer

Wants and needs:
Sim computer only
Not over the top but made with possible upgrades in mind

Run FX mainly and fs9, Xplane and some of the sim games will be used

I'm not a computer nut I know enough to get into trouble
after some research... outhouse, toms, new egg for home builds and visiting gaming computer sites to compare prices

To spend $1500 to $2000 and then to only have me to go to for support is a very scary though indeed

Warranty seem like a good idea when I consider me into the factor!

Operating systems alone right now XP/Vista/W7 and then 32 vs 64

I do realize the this is a ever changing technology but in making this purchase I want to be satisfied for at least a couple years, four years is the goal, as my wife would @^&@^@)#^@!%# me at a couple.

I'v come to a conclusion I'm totally confused :isadizzy:

Stu

Stu let's see what advice you get and I will jump in last but I will have a couple of questions first. Later my friend
Ted

JIMJAM
June 20th, 2009, 13:20
I have built "with help" my last 3 computers. By upgrading as needed, each lasted 3-4 years.
A month ago, a 2 week old raptor hard drive flew apart and I lost alot of info. It also happened on a holiday weekend and I had a week off. Long story short,against my better judgement I went to Bestbuy and bought a Gateway FX6800-01E I7 gaming system. The fastest they had and for $1200, I cannot even come close to building what I want for double,triple that.
In order to run my vid card, I stuck in a bigger power supply. Voiding the warranty. The I added 3 more gigs od ram. Voiding the warranty. The machine is BLOATED with crapware.
Oh and last night the hard drive failed. Just died. Replaced it with a raptor,yes voiding the warranty again.
This was a impulse buy and I knew better. If anything goes wrong you are on your own. You cannot even gain access to most of the bios features.
I highly suggest having a local computer store custom build you one with a warranty. If/when something goes wrong you can take it to them rather than play phone and email tag with someone in India or deal with the Geek squad. Being able to talk to and take your system locally to be serviced is my main priority.
Avoid the store computers at all cost and the online high end overpriced machines are a close second worst. IMO that is.

harleyman
June 21st, 2009, 07:37
My first suggestion would be to carefully consider your CPU options...

As in FSX is not needing a high end i7 machine to fly well....There are many quad and dual socket 775's that are great for FSX ....

That leaves it very upgradeable down the road as to change to any i7 just requires a mobo, CPU and mem, all of whick is getting cheaper by the day...

stansdds
June 21st, 2009, 10:23
Build, don't buy. You can build exactly what you want for far less than you can buy. And if you do decide to build, start with the case, get a big one so you are not cramming all that stuff into a tiny space. My last build used an Antec 900, nice case, only problem is I have to be careful about the height of the CPU cooler, but most coolers will fit.

RyanJames170
June 21st, 2009, 10:59
BUILD it Dont buy!!!
i built my own and i love it. and it was about $1000 to do at the time and it was worth about 1500 at the time. i configured one for an buddy for about $900 and something compatible at dell is going for about 1700 to 1800.

Ryan

Bjoern
June 21st, 2009, 11:22
Build.

With roughly those specs:
QX9650
X48 mobo
4Gb DDR3 1333/1600 Ram
GTX285

harleyman
June 21st, 2009, 13:32
The extreme chip is a tad overkill IMO..

The Q9550 or Q9650 is all ya need me thinks

Bjoern
June 22nd, 2009, 10:57
Oh, there's a "stock" Q9650 as well?

Well, in that case I'll second Harleyman's suggestion. Go for the Q9650 then.

doublecool
June 27th, 2009, 03:29
All rightty then...

Build it is...

with some help and advise from the OH :kilroy:

off I go I putting my list togetther today tomorrow

Order Sunday I hope...:jump:

harleyman
June 27th, 2009, 04:12
Post your exazt components here before you hit the *BUY* button....LOL

safn1949
June 27th, 2009, 20:14
Ok,I'm glad I found this thread,my problem is I want to run FSX but...it has to be a laptop.I travel for a living and that's just the way it is.I have been told my Toshiba Satellite A305 will not work.After some more research I see that my graphics chipset is a real problem.

Processor 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 Memory 3GB at 667MHz Hard drive 250GB at 5,400rpm Chipset Intel GM45 Graphics Intel GMA 4500MHD (integrated) Operating system Windows Vista Home Premium (http://reviews.cnet.com/Windows_Vista_Home_Premium/4505-3672_7-32013237.html) (32-bit)

So if I were to buy a new one,what would my specs have to be,thanks.

harleyman
June 28th, 2009, 02:14
Safn1949..

Have a look at this Gateway FX notebook..We bought one and it flys FSX pretty good with sliders on med..Its great on other games too.Better than FSX as its picky..LOL But it does fly FSX very decent..I think it would be great for serious traveling...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9172511&type=product&id=1218043606827

Asus also makes a gaming laptop..Just google it..

kdl
June 28th, 2009, 23:24
Yes, build (if you can or if you have help) and don't buy!
The most important reason for me is that I have only those components
that I really want.
And, btw it's not always cheaper than buying.
If you are not experienced enough:
There are stores where you can assemble (also online) your computer with those
parts you want.

Dieter

txnetcop
June 29th, 2009, 01:50
Ok,I'm glad I found this thread,my problem is I want to run FSX but...it has to be a laptop.I travel for a living and that's just the way it is.I have been told my Toshiba Satellite A305 will not work.After some more research I see that my graphics chipset is a real problem.

Processor 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 Memory 3GB at 667MHz Hard drive 250GB at 5,400rpm Chipset Intel GM45 Graphics Intel GMA 4500MHD (integrated) Operating system Windows Vista Home Premium (http://reviews.cnet.com/Windows_Vista_Home_Premium/4505-3672_7-32013237.html) (32-bit)

So if I were to buy a new one,what would my specs have to be,thanks.

Minimum for a good experience Geforce 9800M or ATI 3450 or better. The Intel Graphics sets are awful for FSX right now, soon to change. T5800 processor is OK. Harleyman is right about that Gateway FX. Good system, and I am not even a Gateway fan.
Ted

kilo delta
June 29th, 2009, 02:17
I've a couple of old Alienware m9750's {with 17" lcd (1920x1200),dual 7950GTX cards or dual 8700GT cards, T7600 2.33GHZ chip, 4gb 667mhz pc5300, 64gb ssd hd, 500gb Seagate Momentus 7200rpm, Bluray burner ,running XP Pro SP3}. They are still pretty good gaming systems......but I wouldn't be satisfied with it's performance when running FSX.........FS9,sure..........but not FSX.
I've tested out the Alienware M17 and M17x and have found them to run FSX pretty good, so long as you don't go for the minimum spec. They're price tag, however, is rather high................but they do look great!:icon_lol:

Bjoern
June 29th, 2009, 03:31
They're price tag, however, is rather high................but they do look great!:icon_lol:

Sounds like Apple to me. :kilroy: :icon_lol:

Thinkpad all the way. Doesn't look like much, but it's nearly indestructible.

kilo delta
June 29th, 2009, 05:02
Tut, tut........Apples are for eating! :icon_lol:

j/k Bill (Lionheart) et al :ernae: :bump:

harleyman
June 29th, 2009, 05:25

LOL...Now that was funny right thare...

Trans_23
July 19th, 2009, 07:27

I got this e-mail from a guy that builds computers. The concept sounds great if it works.

I am now building new computers with dual operating systems but not just dual booting stuff like everyone else. I know you are all saying so what. Almost all techs can make a computer dual boot---where it comes up and says select Windows XP or Windows Vista. Well I am building systems with a switch on the front where you flip it one way and you have a hardrive totally dedicated to Windows 7 or whatever and flip it the other way and you are running Zebra---that is the Mac operating system----and yes I do make it work perfect on a PC. Since any Windows operating system is very insecure, you can have the Mac or Ubuntu----that is a linux system----both are almost totally secure. That way you can do your banking or buy stock with real confidence.

harleyman
July 19th, 2009, 07:43
Sounds like more trouble than its worth to me.....:isadizzy:

txnetcop
July 19th, 2009, 07:45
These are way more secure than his method for dual boot:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

http://www.vmware.com/
Ted

kilo delta
July 19th, 2009, 11:32
Personally, I prefer just one OS on my machines at a time. If I want to test another I'll have it on a dedicated hdd and just swap over...only takes a few seconds.

:)

doublecool
October 25th, 2009, 14:41
With the Help of Ted and others and with the wife's OK this is what I build and so glad I did... it took a lot longer then I wanted do to the other chores of life and some custom work on my desk but she done and all loaded and well :ernae: and thanks I'm very happy with the results

HAF 932 Case
ASUS PT6 Motherboard
Intel 950 i7 3.06GHz
12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3
1.4TB room for upgrade
LG Super muti rewriter 22x room for upgrade
NVIDA GTX 285
Corsair 750W single rail Power supply
Vista 64 some FX issues but I can live with them

This is not just a sim computer but she'll do

took one day to put her together and one day to hook the wires and organize them:isadizzy: But she fired up first time :wiggle:

Thanks Ted and everyone else here at the outhouse

txnetcop
October 25th, 2009, 14:49
My friend it was my extreme pleasure. You had a great attitude and will to do it right! Congrats on a great build:ernae:
Ted

harleyman
October 25th, 2009, 15:11
Congrats on a nice build....:monkies:

stansdds
October 25th, 2009, 15:53
Well done! Now that you've built one, you'll never want to buy one off the shelf again.