PDA

View Full Version : New machine - FSX is still jerky

BigT
June 19th, 2009, 20:16
I just put together a new machine consisting of Asus P6T Deluxe 2 mobo, i7 940 cpu, 12 GB corsair ddr3 ram, Windows xp pro x64, EVGA GTX 285 graphics, Corsair 850 watt PSU. I figured that I should have no more stuttering problems. If I set the target frame rate to 50 it will run in the 40s and up to 50 most of the time. But then it starts dropping down to 6 or 7 then back up to 50 and stutters. This happens most in traffic areas and near the ground. I have reduced the graphics options in steps trying to get it smooth. It doesn't make much difference from maxed out down to about medium on everything. Today I updated my graphics driver to the 64 bit version and there was no change. I have not tried to overclock any of my parts yet. I didn't really think it would be necessary. FSX was running nearly as good with my old system which was pentium 4 3.0 Ghz, ATI Radeon 9800 pro, 2 GB ram. Anyone have any ideas what I need to adjust? :confused:

BananaBob
June 19th, 2009, 20:26
I just put together a new machine consisting of Asus P6T Deluxe 2 mobo, i7 940 cpu, 12 GB corsair ddr3 ram, Windows xp pro x64, EVGA GTX 285 graphics, Corsair 850 watt PSU. I figured that I should have no more stuttering problems. If I set the target frame rate to 50 it will run in the 40s and up to 50 most of the time. But then it starts dropping down to 6 or 7 then back up to 50 and stutters. This happens most in traffic areas and near the ground. I have reduced the graphics options in steps trying to get it smooth. It doesn't make much difference from maxed out down to about medium on everything. Today I updated my graphics driver to the 64 bit version and there was no change. I have not tried to overclock any of my parts yet. I didn't really think it would be necessary. FSX was running nearly as good with my old system which was pentium 4 3.0 Ghz, ATI Radeon 9800 pro, 2 GB ram. Anyone have any ideas what I need to adjust? :confused:

I have almost the exact system but an i7 920, OC to 3.7 Ghz only 3GB RAM though. I had to put my texture bandwith multiplier or whatever it's called in the FSX.cfg file to 10 instead of the stated 40, that took away my stutters for some strange reason.

spotlope
June 19th, 2009, 20:37
I seem to recall Phil Taylor saying that for some reason lower texture bandwidth multipliers work better in FSX than higher ones. That's exactly the opposite of how it worked in FS9. Either that, or I'm hallucinating again.

BigT
June 19th, 2009, 20:40
Thanks for your reply. I will look into that when I get back home. What made you try that? Are you able to run FSX at max graphics?

BananaBob
June 19th, 2009, 20:44
Thanks for your reply. I will look into that when I get back home. What made you try that? Are you able to run FSX at max graphics?

It was just a trial and error thing, I had tried higher numbers with worse effects each time so I just tried the opposite, don't know why but it works for me.

MenendezDiego
June 19th, 2009, 21:41
as strange as it sounds, try flying with the tool bar open (that blue bar on top) hit ALT, fly with it, and your stutters shall disapear!

MenendezDiego
June 19th, 2009, 21:41
also, set frame rate to unlimited

Z-PurpleBubble
June 20th, 2009, 05:37
as strange as it sounds, try flying with the tool bar open (that blue bar on top) hit ALT, fly with it, and your stutters shall disapear!

Hey Diego,

That sounds interesting indeed! Would you care to elaborate on this please? Is it because in windowed mode, less resources are used or something like it?

PB

harleyman
June 20th, 2009, 05:41
Did you flash your new Mobo? the one that comes on it is pure CaCa...

Lionheart
June 20th, 2009, 05:52
I had to put my texture bandwith multiplier or whatever it's called in the FSX.cfg file to 10 instead of the stated 40, that took away my stutters for some strange reason.

I just tried that.. I had it set at 400. Dang if that didnt work BRILLIANT! lololol...

DANG!!

So wierd to have AA set high and run FSX smoothly.

Now to find my jaw... I flew off during the excitement, lol..

Bill

bushpilot
June 20th, 2009, 05:55
Here's Phil Taylor's statement on that: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/06/01/fsx-tweak-of-the-week-or-2.aspx

400 is certainly not recommended value:kilroy:

6297J
June 20th, 2009, 06:00
I just tried that.. I had it set at 400. Dang if that didnt work BRILLIANT! lololol...

DANG!!

So wierd to have AA set high and run FSX smoothly.

Now to find my jaw... I flew off during the excitement, lol..

Bill

I just changed mine from 80 to 40 and then again to 10. I flew over some of the more complex urban areas in my F16 and I could swear it's a smoother experience.
I need to check that again ...........

ryanbatc
June 20th, 2009, 06:08
Decent system, but WHY 12gb of ram? OVERKILL lol

6GB is even overkill but thats a popular choice over 3

And yes, you will need to overclock to at least 4.0 GHz if you want to fly in large cities with high sliders

Anyway, you want to run the nhancer program and follow this guide to help smooth things out:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

BigT
June 20th, 2009, 08:16
I got 12 GB because it was only $200 and because the mobo would take it. In the future I will probably need it.

ryanbatc
June 20th, 2009, 08:20
I got 12 GB because it was only $200 and because the mobo would take it. In the future I will probably need it.

thats actually a decent deal, was it a combo or something?

BigT
June 20th, 2009, 08:28
I got it at newegg. It was actually $208 and there was a$10 rebate. I was going to get a combo but it was actually about $25 more than buying them separately. I was asking a question on the forum and someone tipped me off on it.

Lionheart
June 20th, 2009, 10:41
Decent system, but WHY 12gb of ram? OVERKILL lol

6GB is even overkill but thats a popular choice over 3

Apple computers, their huge tower systems, are now setup for 32Gigs of Ram. If I could, I would have 12 to 32 Gigs of Ram, but Windows 32Bit cannot handle that. Imagine the massive power of 12 Gigs!!!! Man.. It would be amazing in gaming...

Bill

Lionheart
June 20th, 2009, 10:43
Thanks again Robert for the tidbit of priceless information on texture bandwidth. Massively appreciated.

Bill
LHC

ryanbatc
June 20th, 2009, 10:56
Imagine the massive power of 12 Gigs!!!! Man.. It would be amazing in gaming...

What games use 12GB of RAM?

FSX hardly uses 2GB, at least on my system

BananaBob
June 20th, 2009, 11:01
Thanks again Robert for the tidbit of priceless information on texture bandwidth. Massively appreciated.

Bill
LHC

Cool, glad it helped, I put the info up a long time ago but I think people just thought I was crazy, LOL :ernae:

harleyman
June 20th, 2009, 11:50
Cool, glad it helped, I put the info up a long time ago but I think people just thought I was crazy, LOL :ernae:

I never thought you were crazy......:bump: LOL

Its a good tweak for the right system for sure...:mixedsmi:

some1
June 20th, 2009, 12:34
Apple computers, their huge tower systems, are now setup for 32Gigs of Ram. If I could, I would have 12 to 32 Gigs of Ram, but Windows 32Bit cannot handle that. Imagine the massive power of 12 Gigs!!!! Man.. It would be amazing in gaming...

Bill

- There are hardly any 64 bit games.
- A 32 bit game can't use more than 4 gigs of RAM on a 64 bit system, 3 gigs of RAM on a 32 bit system with tweaks, 2 gigs of RAM on a vanilla 32 bit windows.
- Most of the games are made in such way that they don't exceed 2 gigs o RAM usage, even less, because they would crash on most systems if they did that with the OOM error.

The same applies to other programs, like 3DS or Photoshop.

peter12213
June 20th, 2009, 16:30
I have almost the exact system but an i7 920, OC to 3.7 Ghz only 3GB RAM though. I had to put my texture bandwith multiplier or whatever it's called in the FSX.cfg file to 10 instead of the stated 40, that took away my stutters for some strange reason.

This does work a treat for me too mine is at 15 tho ona slightly worse system!! try sliding your autogen down and getting rid of light bloom that uses so much memeory its insane and with the newer weather programs you don't even miss it! I mean Ive been an fsx user sinse 2007 and i still learn something new about performance and realism of the sim everday but if bob gives ya advise take it trust me that guy knows his sh*t bud.. Best wishes Pete!

BananaBob
June 20th, 2009, 16:40
If you use REX clouds too at HD levels like 4096, make sure you have the DTX5 option clicked also, this helped me tremendously, I never put my FPS on Unlimited, I have it set at 28 FPS, Unlimited causes me stuttering badly.

SolarEagle
June 20th, 2009, 17:39
To cure stutters on my own i7 system I set a BufferPool value of 300MB, which allows me to run extremely dense autogen stutter free. All that is required is lots of video memory. Those with a 1GB video card can often run 400MB buffepool, however high texture memory users like 4096 aircraft or cloud textures may require the bufferpool to be adjusted to a lower value. I run 2048 max and have no problems with a 300MB bufferpool on my 900MB card. If you search the forum here for "Miracle Tweak" you can read all about it. Otherwise here's my tweaking thread at Orbx. I suggest reading through the whole thing becuase my tweaks evolved during the thread as I completed more testing and fine tuned things.

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=9908.0

BTW, regarding RAM usage a noted above, I was just doing some screenshot comparisons, and with LOD at 12 I was using a full 5GB of RAM.

BananaBob
June 20th, 2009, 17:50
To cure stutters on my own i7 system I set a BufferPool value of 300MB, which allows me to run extremely dense autogen stutter free. All that is required is lots of video memory. Those with a 1GB video card can often run 400MB buffepool, however high texture memory users like 4096 aircraft or cloud textures may require the bufferpool to be adjusted to a lower value. I run 2048 max and have no problems with a 300MB bufferpool on my 900MB card. If you search the forum here for "Miracle Tweak" you can read all about it. Otherwise here's my tweaking thread at Orbx. I suggest reading through the whole thing becuase my tweaks evolved during the thread as I completed more testing and fine tuned things.

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=9908.0

BTW, regarding RAM usage a noted above, I was just doing some screenshot comparisons, and with LOD at 12 I was using a full 5GB of RAM.

I have the 285 with 1GB memory and that didn't help any, so that is strange, so I don't even mess with that setting any more. It's a shot in the dark though with all these different configurations though.

BananaBob
June 20th, 2009, 17:51
I never thought you were crazy......:bump: LOL

Its a good tweak for the right system for sure...:mixedsmi:

You know thought it for a second at least, LOL j/k :ernae:

peter12213
June 20th, 2009, 18:32
how the ***** do you guys find out what spec ya comp is on mine i took it to the shop and said get what u can out of it lol its a dell dimension 4600, intel 4, nivida 7.600 gs graphics card, but how do u find out what memory and ram u have plus in the lock framerate section of the aircraft.cfg can u set ya frames to a constant limit all the time or not? instead of using the deafault slider to unlimited or whatever.

BananaBob
June 20th, 2009, 19:02
how the ***** do you guys find out what spec ya comp is on mine i took it to the shop and said get what u can out of it lol its a dell dimension 4600, intel 4, nivida 7.600 gs graphics card, but how do u find out what memory and ram u have plus in the lock framerate section of the aircraft.cfg can u set ya frames to a constant limit all the time or not? instead of using the deafault slider to unlimited or whatever.

Do you purposely try to antagonize people or am I missing something? What kind of language is that, even if you're not spelling it? How about some tact? Sorry, that just seems like a very rude way to ask for something.

harleyman
June 20th, 2009, 19:05
Peter....Download and run this..It will tell you all about your computer specs..http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

And yes..You can set frames in the FSX config...Or in the user interface too!

35 is a good place to start I think...

heywooood
June 20th, 2009, 20:39
yes - setting unlimited FPS is wrong unless you are using that special tweak thanger that nickN brought up a few months ago - doesn't look like you are there yet so best to lower your FPS lock as harleyman suggests.

and like Bob says - the asterisk doesn't hide the language at all so...ease up on that maybe and you'll get better results in this forum.

peter12213
June 22nd, 2009, 11:46
Peter....Download and run this..It will tell you all about your computer specs..http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

And yes..You can set frames in the FSX config...Or in the user interface too!

35 is a good place to start I think...

Cheers bud!

P.s. no offence intended Bob I shall watch my language in future mate esspecially while drunk, and I never purposely try to antagonize anyone!
And as what for was said yes 22 for frames, 10 for texture bandwidth and you should be laughing mate!