PDA

View Full Version : The Mosquito Museum

Shessi
June 19th, 2009, 05:58
Hi Folks,
Thought I'd share some pics with you. Popped in to see see the de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre (or better known as) The Mosquito Museum at London Colney, Hertfordshire (about 25miles north from the centre of London).
Good to see things moving on, new restorations, exhibits etc etc. A little saddened to see the state of THE Mossie prototype and where it's kept(!). They are looking into Lottery grant funding, so fingers crossed, here's hoping for them.

If you like/love/lust after Mossies then this is the place for you!! If you get a chance to go or come over and visit. To be honest you're spoilt for choice in this area. The RAF Museum at Hendon is only 35 mins away and the Duxford Museum is about an hour away. What you waiting for!.....(and no I don't work for the Museum or Tourist Board..:d)

I had a long chat with one of the friendly volunteer restorers who kindly gave me a closer guided tour of the FBVI restoration. Learnt some interesting things about the Mossie and how it was built.

There's a lot more than these pics, just a taster. Hope you enjoy them!

Cheers Shessi

Rami
June 19th, 2009, 06:00
Wowzah! This is so cool. Thanks for sharing! :ernae:

sandar
June 19th, 2009, 07:22
I have visited the museum on a couple of occasions and can wholeheartedly recommend it. The museum is located at Salisbury Hall, a few miles from DeHavillands factory at Hatfield, where the design work was done. The protoype was built there in secrecy in 1940, it is the yellow one in Shessi's photo's.

Several years later, The Mosquito Museum was founded to house and restore the prototype where it was born.

The museum can be seen from Google Earth, but I don't have the co-ordinates. There are now many aircraft built by DeHavilland at the museum, plus some engines and artifacts. Go and visit, but check opening times beforehand. It is run by volunteers and funded through entrance fees and voluntary contributions. It closes for winter and is only open in the afternoon (at least this used to be the case, I am assuming it still is).

Take a look at the links.

http://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mus/uk/dehav/mosqmus.htm

Oh, thanks Shessi for the post and piccies.