PDA

View Full Version : A new respect

Cowboy1968
June 18th, 2009, 21:21
Tonight I learned a new respect for an aircraft i often considered to be inferior to the Corsair or the Bearcat. I was flying tonight with a buddy at a LAN party.

I was in a Vought F4U-4 Corsair and he was in a Grumman F7F-3 Tigercat. Yes, we were practicing dissimilar combat against each other in USN ships.

It is a dogfight I am going to remember for a long time. We spent 20 minutes trying to get the angles on each other. We Circled, dove, climbed and the like. neither could get advantage. Until i checked a gauge. that was the mistake he was waiting for.....he was able to get behind me. Ok so he is on my six, surely this Corsair could out turn and out run a twin engine fighter. Think again. I tried every trick in the book that I know. I even tried the old put the nose down and cut the throttle, and hope he blows by trick......no go.....he cut his throttle and did a row to bleed speed and put his guns right back on me. The last move of the fight was me hoping that my Corsair's speed advantage could save me.........it did to a point. I was able to pull out out of MG range, but i forgot the 20mm cannons on that thing, and well lets just say they reached out and touched me.

I will never again under estimate the Tigercat. It is agile as hell for a twin engine fighter, great firepower, and very decent speed. My thumbs go up to Grumman for putting suck a plane in the air.

TARPSBird
June 18th, 2009, 22:39
I have never flown in CFS2 against real people, sounds like fun. :)
Not sure my old system would support online play.