PDA

View Full Version : Feeling very sad...

n4gix
June 17th, 2009, 15:36
I'm feeling very sad, because my precious little dauschund "Bubba" isn't doing well at all. He started convulsing about 2:30 this afternoon. After about six minutes of that, he lost control of his left side.

The vet thinks he had a mild stroke this afternoon and he's in the hospital for at least two days for evaluation and treatment.

Bless his little heart, he's nearly twelve so I can't say I'm surprised too much, but sadly I'm much too poor to afford extensive health care for him. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon9.gif

Here's a picture of the little fellow about five years ago:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5831/brobubba.jpg

Henry
June 17th, 2009, 15:37
Thats tough!
my thoughts are with you
H

n4gix
June 17th, 2009, 15:59
Thanks, Henry. Thanks, Felix. I actually bought Bubba to keep my late brother company after he was diagnosed with acute hepatic cancer (liver). After Ralph died, I became Bubba's "Daddy" and he's been a very great comfort to me. Always faithful, never demanding or needy...

I've always had a soft spot for miniature dauschunds. I've had four over the years, but I really think Bubba will be my last. I'm getting to that point in life where I cannot in good conscience take on the responsibility of a pet. I've had nightmares about Bubba being locked in his crate and starving to death because Daddy had been called Home during the night...

BOOM
June 17th, 2009, 16:00
Bill as a fellow dog lover/owner,I really hope your best friend pulls through.

Cloud9Gal
June 17th, 2009, 16:01
Awwwww http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/sad/sorry.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com) I am soooo sorry! He's a cute little bugger! I hope he pulls through. Twelve is still young for a dog! http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy/yes.gif (http://www.thesmilies.com)

Kiwikat
June 17th, 2009, 16:18
Our mini daschund also had health issues. :frown:

I hope he gets better soon. They are quite the dog for being so small. Packed full with lots of energy.

OBIO
June 17th, 2009, 16:26
My best wishes and prayers are with you and Bubba. I am still recovering from the loss of Spud (the handsome pooch in my avator) over 2 years ago. Spud was part of my life for only 14 short months and I still miss him and still shed tears for his loss at least 3 times a week...I can not imaging loosing a companion after 12 years.

OBIO

Roger
June 17th, 2009, 16:58
I feel your apprehension Fr Bill.
After my 7th cat died last year, I decided I didn't want to outlive any more pets so I would manage without. It's hard because I have great empathy with cats as a fairly solitary individual myself so I may weaken yet. Wayne's character's observations about his cat in "True Grit" just about sums it up for me.

T Square
June 17th, 2009, 17:53
I lost one recently to Cancer, it was very hard, we didn't have the funds for the treatments either. She was named Hussie Girl. After I had heart surgery she became very protective of me. My wife saved her from certain death someone dumped her in a fenced in transformer area, and she was half starved. My wife brought her home and nursed her back to health. Funny she became so attached to me that when the wife sat on the sofa, Hussie Girl would not sit with her unless I told her it was OK. I feel your pain, I never thought in a million years we would become so attached to a pet. God Bless and Good Luck :engel016:

n4gix
June 17th, 2009, 18:38
Thanks for the kind words of comfort, everyone. Bubba is a quite rare "Silver Dapple" AKC Registered Miniature. I actually had a hard time from the AKC about his name. They thought it was too "rustic..."

Since I had bought him for my redneck foster brother, Ralph named him "Bubba" thinking I guess it was a suitable name for the companion of a cranky old hillbilly from western North Carolina... :mixedsmi:

About an hour before Ralph died, Bubba had me lift him up on the hospital bed, and he cuddled up to Ralph to be "with him to the end." Somehow he had sensed that his "Daddy" was leaving forever. Since that day in 1999, I've been Bubba's new "Daddy."

I've always thought that dauschunds are the ideal dog for a family with children; they are so long everyone can pet 'em at the same time... :wiggle:

Henry
June 17th, 2009, 18:45
I feel your apprehension Fr Bill.
After my 7th cat died last year, I decided I didn't want to outlive any more pets so I would manage without. It's hard because I have great empathy with cats as a fairly solitary individual myself so I may weaken yet. Wayne's character's observations about his cat in "True Grit" just about sums it up for me.
famous last words
ive been saying that for years
but yunno another comes along
and no they are not the same
but different and different characters
i have 3 dogs and 4 cats
and have had many more in the past
you cannot replace one with another
but there always is one or two that are still
extra special
i have an extra special basset at the moment
never liked bassets but he is my boy
he sleeps with me he's stupid
right now he is chasing shadows
in my putor room
when something happens to him i will be devastated
but ill probably get another something
i have had 10 dogs
and i would say 4 were extra special
the rest were just great
oliver the basset is just plain stupid
now he is attacking a shadow on the wall
cannot live with them cannot live without them
H

cheezyflier
June 17th, 2009, 19:15
our thoughts and prayers are with you.

paiken
June 17th, 2009, 19:51
Being owned by a mini dachshund myself (Chocolate Dopple) I really sympathize with your situation. That's him <---. Thinks he's a german shepard. Hoping for the best for Bubba, and hoping you can get through all of this.
Pat & Mocha Latte

n4gix
June 17th, 2009, 20:10
Thanks, Pat. Your mini-D is really handsome! :bump:

Lionheart
June 17th, 2009, 20:15
Bill,

Sorry to hear about Bubba. I hope he pulls through. I have seen my mothers dogs (peekaneze, however its spelled) go into siezures and its scary to watch. Molly has always pulled out though and is ok later on.

I had a bad scare with my buddy, Junior. I inherited him when my sister had to give him up because of her boyfriend. He is the best friend a guy like me could ever have. I take him to the lake to see the ducks, and he loves driving in the car, oh man... But about 2 weeks ago, he got really sick and he had just been to the lake about 4 hours before that. The lake had green algae surfacing.. Come to find out from my brother, algae is deadly to a dog. So off I went to the emergency room. Got out at 3AM and $650.00 less in my wallet. But Junior is alive and well and thats the important thing.

I never thought I would have another pet after losing my cat Katja. Man.. I was like OBIO. I would be in a grocery store, and a memory would come through and I, well.. it was embarrassing.

But, we endure.

I pray little Bubba gets better and heals up and I pray he has no more attacks and that his life is lengthened and blessed, and may there be no pain, only joy of fun times in life.

Bill

Cratermaker
June 17th, 2009, 20:54
Sorry to hear that Bill. I hope he pulls through. I still get moments of great sadness after the loss my cat a couple of months ago and a bit of anger trying to figure out what happened as she had a checkup just a few months prior to that. So sudden, with a late night trip to the emergency vet.

TARPSBird
June 17th, 2009, 21:25
n4gix,
Very sorry to hear about your pup. I hope he recovers OK and continues to brighten your life. We love Joker, our 1/2 Rottie and would be lost without him.
My wife is from the Philippines and she has a nice belief about pets. She says that our pets are our protectors in more ways than just biting a home intruder or waking us up if the house catches fire. They sometimes absorb the bad luck that might otherwise befall us. This is why over the years we have not only had dogs and cats, but hamsters too. Never hurts to have a back-up pet for your main pet. :d

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x212/milwaukeeroad/flynavy100.jpg (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/fleet-air-arm/fly-navy-100/)

rpjkw
June 18th, 2009, 04:37
n4gix,

I sure hope your little bud is alright. We have a 3 legged rescued Pit Bull that, after two short years, I can't imagine life without her.

My hopes and prayers for you and your 'Angel Doggie' (as I call mine).

Bob

gajit
June 18th, 2009, 04:53
We sympathise - Barney our retriever is 11 now and is sadly looking his age - its horrible and somehow seems worse/different that with our ageing humans. But then dogs are special arnt they?!!

Took this of him yesterday.

Navy Chief
June 18th, 2009, 05:05
Bill,

So sorry to hear about Bubba not doing well. I pray he does get better. I know what it is like to worry about your pet.

Pete

mike_cyul
June 18th, 2009, 05:51
Sorry to hear this, Bill, I know how it is with pets. I'll be hoping for the best.

Mike

Daveroo
June 18th, 2009, 06:10
Haley and i wish you pup our best....haley is now going on 14 years...it scares me

Cazzie
June 18th, 2009, 06:11
Twelve is a pretty long lidespan for a small dog, I sure hate to hear that Bill.

I have lost three diogs since moving to my present residence 19 years ago. Two were actually my wife's dogs, the beagle Rosie got hit in the road by a driver that did not stop, her other do, a mix, Whitey, must have had cancer. She contacted some intestinal problems and died before she was four. My old Australian Shepard Dempsey made it nearly 15 years before she too lost the use of her bowel control had had to be put down. I cried for three days. She was my trusted companion ever since I found her stranded at a trash dumpster, hence her name Dempsey, the manufacturer of said trash dumps here. She was so small that she fit in my hand. My father was still alive and I was on the way to see him when I found her. He fell immediately in love with that dog and said that I should keep her and not take her to the city pound (my original intentions). It's funny how dad's are always right. When my wife and I officially got married in August 1990, dempesy sat at the ceremony. My friend Dinky found she had a taste for beer and she got as drunk as the rest of us. I had to put her to bed. :icon_lol: Fond memories my friend, cherish them of Bubba too. My father passed away in December 1990, after Dempsey was nearly 11 months old. I carried her with me whenever I went to see him. He loved that dog and that dog loved him. So it was with me too. There is said to be a place in Heaven called the "Rainbow Bridge". It is here that all of one's loved ones and pets greet one's arrival into Heaven. At the front of the pets will be Dempsey, no soul save my wife has been so dear and faithful to me in their 15 years on Earth. :engel016:

The wife and kids now have a spoiled mix, Bud-Bud, that they retrieved from the city pound as a puppy. My best buddy since third grade, Mark, knew of my loss of Dempsey and gave me one of his registered Chocolate Labradors. She was originally named Holly, but now at age 4 she is a good and faithful dog, she has taken on the name "Big Brown Truck". A little frisky as Labs are. And God knows, if you walk one on a leash, don't ever let them see a waterhole! :icon_lol:

Best of hopes and prayers for ol' bubba Bill. But if the worst happens, do not waste time in getting another dog. They sort of grow on you. My wife, who is more Indian than me, has been called MamaManyDogs. :icon29:

Caz

n4gix
June 18th, 2009, 07:10
Thanks everyone for the kind wishes and prayers. Dr. Foster called me at 9am and let me know that Bubba is much worse today, and that all tests done thus far indicate that he's had a stroke. The prognosis for any recovery is not good, and any treatment would take months and be very, very expensive.

In his considered opinion, the most likely outcome would result in Bubba having to be hand fed, and nursed carefully until entropy's inevitable end.

So, having taken all of this into consideration, I've had to make the hard decision to have the vet administer the Big Sleep. As I type this brief note I'm crying so hard I can hardly see the screen. Now I've got to pull myself together enough to drive to the hospital so I can sign Bubba's life away, and hold him gently as he breathes his last sigh...

...how I'll manage to get home again is another matter entirely.

Lionheart
June 18th, 2009, 10:07
Im sorry Bill.

Be strong Sir.

He will go to a place where he has no pain and can run like a puppy again. I see Katya now and then out there and she is happy.

God bless.

Bill

paiken
June 18th, 2009, 10:19
So sorry Bill. My sincere condolences. :frown: Just remember that all dogs go to heaven:engel016:

FAC257
June 18th, 2009, 12:44
Bill

I had a thousand things to do today, but several times I caught myself wondering and hoping your pup was going to be okay. After reading your orignal post yesterday I went looking for info on dogs and strokes and by what I read I went to sleep with a pretty positive feeling about the outcome.

The one thing I wanted most to see when I got home and started reading through all my regular internet stops was a message from you saying everything was okay.

I'm so sorry it didn't turn out that way.

Maybe at the very least, an ever so small silver lining might be that Bubba lived a good life at that age and that you were there with him at the end.

FAC

Snuffy
June 18th, 2009, 14:17
What a bummer ...

I remember having lost many a pet ... to this day I remember each one still.

N2056
June 18th, 2009, 14:43
Bill, I am very saddened to hear the news about Bubba. He will be in a better place, and I will offer special prayers for both of you tonight.

Motormouse
June 18th, 2009, 15:23
Now there's a thing, as I'm away the 'wrong' side of the pond at the moment,
when I called home yesterday Mrs told me our dog (14yrs old,Lurcher)
had finally succumbed to the dog form of MS (which she'd had for a while)

Pete

n4gix
June 18th, 2009, 15:45
Thanks for the kind words of comfort, everyone.

I arrived at the animal hospital about 1:20 this afternoon and shortly was shown into a private room.
After a short wait, one of the staff brought Bubba in so I could cradle him in my arms.
He was so weak and pitiful looking, but he smelled me and slowly managed to give me a final face lick.
He knew I was there...

They told me that I could take as long as I needed, so I held him, gently stroked him,
and sang a little song I'd written just for him many years ago.
He looked at me several times as I was singing,
so I knew he heard my voice...

It's a silly little song, but I'd sung it to him everyday since he was just a tiny handful of wiggly puppy.

I love you Bubba,
Oh yes I do.
I don't love anyone
as much as you.
You are so good to me
it's true!
Oh Bubba, I love you.

After about an hour, Dr. Foster poked his head in and asked if we were ready.
I looked at Bubba, he gave a little sigh and then I realized that he knew he would not
be coming back home with me, but was instead going to Rainbow Bridge where he'd
be met by St. Francis, and taken to where all the precious companions can romp around
and play.

Dr. Foster came into the room and explained briefly that he would be using a two step injection process,
the first a mild sedative and the second a lethal nerve agent. After the first injection, he gently placed his
stethoscope on Bubba's chest, then gave him the second injection. He seemed a bit surprised that Bubba's
little heart stopped almost instantly. He said that was very unusual, and that it normally takes at least a minute...

So, I knew then that Bubba was ready to go to his final home...
It was 2:22 pm...

Listen to "At Rainbow Bridge the Puppies Play (http://n4gix.home.comcast.net/~n4gix/At_Rainbow_Bridge_the Puppies_Play.mp3)" a gentle instrumental I've scored for the occasion.

Here's a link to the beautiful gardens where he will be interred soon:

http://www.petrestinc.com/slideshow/

Bill

Tom Clayton
June 18th, 2009, 15:51
My wife and I also recently saw our Eskie off to the next phase of her journey. She's the white one in my avatar, which I still can't bring myself to change.

n4gix
June 18th, 2009, 15:53
Now there's a thing, as I'm away the 'wrong' side of the pond at the moment,
when I called home yesterday Mrs told me our dog (14yrs old,Lurcher)
had finally succumbed to the dog form of MS (which she'd had for a while)

Pete

Oh, how horrible. I remember that my very first dog Penny (a wire-haired fox terrier) died of old age while I was still in my first year at Kentucky Military Institute. At least the senior cadets had enough respect to treat me gently the day I found out...

The very next day though, I was a "Rat" again... :ernae:

jmig
June 19th, 2009, 03:51
I am sure Bubba is more than just a pet to you. As you know, the lost of a love one is never easy for those remanding behind.

As someone who respects and admire you, I share a bit of your anguish and sorrow. All of us at SOH support you and wish for the best. May Bubba's love continue to brighten your life in remembrance of your shared love.

Daveroo
June 19th, 2009, 06:42
sorry for your loss bill,but never forget that feeling you had when bubba let you know he was ready..sometimes our love for our pets ,let them suffer a bit longer than we should.not saying you did this though..but you said he looked up and sighed..made me tear up...

when i lost my favorite cat..someone poisened her..she was real sick..ill never forget this and i hate myself for it...but i couldnt wait to have the vet kill her...so i huged her.gave her a nuzzle and left...she was screaming for me as i closed the door..(im all teared up typing) but i just couldnt stay...but ill NEVER do that again..still hurts today that i didnt stay and hold her while he put her down...just couldnt doit...i so miss that cat...she was favtastic..never had i a cat with such a beautifull personality...my gf at the time was jealous because my landlord allowed my cat..but told her no dog...so the gf poisened my cat..( i found out the truth later)i found out alot of truths later including the fact she wanted to marry me and then kill ME for money....joke would have been on her...she had allready drien me to bankruptsy by maxing out my accounts through fraud and forging checks...i was sick and had just broken my back so i let her ( trusted her) to helpme......did i say she is a patilogical liar?.....BTW shes in jail for doing the same thing to another man after me..also suspected of killing another man for his money......freak...

gera
June 19th, 2009, 13:40
Thatīs life man, for dogs and man...about a year ago our 13 year old Boxer "Danny" swallowed a frog, yea a complete frog!!! six hours later after trying everything he collapsed and died....sadness ruled for about a week or so......people mend pretty fast. Then we went to the local dog pound, they have about 200 dogs there!!!! incredible but true......and we walked the grounds. Some little dogs run around the place, large ones are in cages. Out of no where a little white spotted "Mut" started to follow us and he did the whole ground with us......he is now home and his name is "Aaron" I call him "Aroncio"....Danny is just a pic in the den.....thatīs life in the planet earth.:mixedsmi::mixedsmi::mixedsmi:----luckily Nature made us like we are, otherwise there would be no one in the planet!!!!!

Major_Spittle
June 20th, 2009, 12:08
I had to put down my 7 year old toy poodle last month due to a huge tumor in her chest. I just try to remember what a good life I gave my dog and how happy it was. I think my 40lb Border Collie has taken it the worse. He waited at the door after I left with just her and didn't come back with her. After about 5 minutes of seeing this I let him out and he went straight to the vehicles looking for her. Poor thing has lost 5lbs because he would only eat after she did. Now I see him finally using her dog bed for the first time ever, she wouldn't allow him on it before, so I guess he has officially accepted her place in the house hold. I'll miss watching that 10lb poodle boss around that 40lb dog.

Try not to dwell on the loss of your pet. Sometime we can allow our emotions to make things harder on us than they need to be and it is good to step outside of the grief for a moment to regain perspective.

Gdavis101
June 20th, 2009, 12:19
Sorry Bill..

ryanbatc
June 20th, 2009, 13:46
Unfortunate to hear, doggies do get old though. Our Sheltie had to be put down a few years back..... it sucks big time :(

n4gix
June 21st, 2009, 09:08
Try not to dwell on the loss of your pet. Sometime we can allow our emotions to make things harder on us than they need to be and it is good to step outside of the grief for a moment to regain perspective.

Thanks to everyone for their kind notes, and thank you especially for the sage advice.

Fortunately, I have plenty of work to keep me occupied, but it's those odd little moments that occur during the day that bring on a brief moment of pain. :guinness: