PDA

View Full Version : Need a good first model subject

OBIO
June 17th, 2009, 15:31
After many many months of frustrating attempts to get my head wrapped around Gmax, I have given up on it and moved to FSDS. In about 15 minutes of actual work time (nearly twice that in real time as I was bouncing back and forth from FSDS3.5 and Dave Eckhart's tutes) I have managed to produce unrefined fuselage shape for the Republic P-43. I have the side and top cross sections done, but have run into a wall with creating the cross sectional shapes around the canopy. I think jumping in on such a complex fuselage shape for project number 1 is a bit too much, so I am going to back burner the Lancer for now and work on something siimpler. I found some good images of the V2 rocket to work off of...very very basic fuselage shape, some "wings". Just something to get my feet wet and to begin learning the ins and outs of getting a 3D model done, textured, and into FS2004.

What would be a good first plane to model...something that has a simpler fuselage shape? I have looked at all the 3 view sites I have book marked and have not seen anything that looks like a winner for my first real plane. I would love to have some 3 views for the Ryan PT-22 but have not been able to locate any. I know that plane has a pretty basic fuselage shape.

OBIO

OBIO
June 17th, 2009, 17:09
Here's a screen shot of my V-2 modeling efforts thus far. I have to spend some time on the fins...have a hole in the original fin, and when I copy, paste and rotate to create the remaining three fins, they also have the hole in them.

I think the rocket looks pretty good for a first time modeling effort and 45 minutes worth of time.

OBIO

Tango_Romeo
June 17th, 2009, 17:57
Here's a screen shot of my V-2 modeling efforts thus far. I have to spend some time on the fins...have a hole in the original fin, and when I copy, paste and rotate to create the remaining three fins, they also have the hole in them. OBIO

...Point Mode with the original fin as the current part, select the points at the corners of the 'hole' and use Create Polygon to fill the space. Repeat on each fin, or delete the other fins and copy/paste again. :engel016:

Good start!

OBIO
June 17th, 2009, 18:09
I was able to fix the hole in the fin...don't ask me how I did it...another case of pure dumb luck I suppose. I deleted the second fin, got the hole in the first fin fixed, copy and pasted and rotated an positioned the second fin, joined those two together, then copy and pasted and rotated and positioned fins 3 and 4.

Maybe an hour worth of modeling to get to this point.

OBIO

tobob
June 17th, 2009, 19:51
Obio,

Don't give up on GMAX yet. I did the same thing and was so overwhelmed by it I started using Fsds and was instanly hooked. It is a lot easier for beginners I think, but Gmax has some advantages. Like developing for CFS3 as well as way more tools and options. I am not an expert and have been using both of these fine programs for only a short time. After using fsds for a bit, moving to gmax was easier. And Miltons C162 Tutorial is highly recomended when\if you decide to go back to gmax. It takes you through the whole process of building a plane with samples and pictures that are easy to follow. Good luck on your modelling adventures. You will be addicted in no time.

Never stop learning. :ernae:

Dan

tobob
June 17th, 2009, 20:19
What would be a good first plane to model...something that has a simpler fuselage shape? I have looked at all the 3 view sites I have book marked and have not seen anything that looks like a winner for my first real plane. I would love to have some 3 views for the Ryan PT-22 but have not been able to locate any. I know that plane has a pretty basic fuselage shape.

OBIO

This might help you out. It is a PT-22 3 view from a rc model plan. It seems pretty accurate, to scale, and has a lot of info on the page. It could be easily cleaned up in photoshop. If nothing else it's a good reference.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1479530

Dan

OBIO
June 17th, 2009, 21:08
Thanks for the link tobob. I have the V-2 modeling done, attempted the texturing but I botched it by being impatient, so I have to give it another go tomorrow. I did export the rocket as a working FS2004 MDL and got it into the sim....it aint pretty, but it aint all that bad either. To save server space, I won't reattach the screen shots taken in flight, but you can check them out in the FS2004 forum in the "Psycho Psym has begun" thread.

OBIO

Morras
June 18th, 2009, 12:15
OBIO my friend keep with it, i have started Gmax and have only now come to grasp with it and are on my way to make my first Ai model, you can check the screenie ou here but i will let you guys know when this Ai baby will be ready!:wiggle:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/Hawk_Mk_120/Gmax_Ai_Casa212.jpg

OBIO
June 18th, 2009, 14:23
Casa 212?

Morras
June 19th, 2009, 01:10
Thats on the spot correct:bump:

OBIO
June 19th, 2009, 23:43
Any chance that down the road, when your modeling skills are more developed, that the CASA 212 could become a full fledged FS2004 model? I have one installed, but it is rather dated and not all that great.

OBIO

Morras
June 21st, 2009, 13:56
Obio, i have no idea buddy but lets see what happens hey never say never with me around :running:

pilotwing
June 24th, 2009, 12:04
For a first model i think any WWII plane might work, they have basic fuselages and wings.