PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery aircraft

maguireted
June 16th, 2009, 06:36
Further to my last topic, my daughter tells me that ;
there was after the war "aircraft graveyards" to dismount. It must have been sad for many pilots. Could you give me some websites or documentation on this subject. Thank you for your kindness to me. Best Regards , Anna
(http://translate.google.fr/translate_s?hl=fr&sl=fr&tl=en&q=cimeti%C3%A8rre%20d)

warepj
June 16th, 2009, 07:14
One of the biggest is still in operation: AMARC at Dvis-Montham Airbase in Arizona:

http://www.amarcexperience.com/AMARCDescription.asp

rpetty
June 16th, 2009, 07:22
A great thread to look at is:

http://www.amarcexperience.com/AMARCDescription.asp

This is for Davis Mothan AFB's Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center. Absolutely unbelievable the amount of aircraft in storage/disassembly.:isadizzy:

warepj, your faster on the draw

pbearsailor
June 16th, 2009, 08:08
My father spent most of the war ferrying B-17's from various spots on the east coast out to the boneyard at Kingman. I converted his flight records into logbook format many years ago and if memory serves, he started ferrying bombers in '43 and did it until the end of the war. He had around 2300 hours by then.

His first solo was in a Stearman when he had around 8 hours. I was close to that in a C-150, but cannot imagine soloing a Stearman in so few hours. It was a different time, with different needs.

cheers,
steve :wavey:

Tako_Kichi
June 16th, 2009, 10:26
One of the biggest is still in operation: AMARC at Dvis-Montham Airbase in Arizona:

LINK REMOVED

HEADS UP! VIRUS ALERT!

I just got an immediate virus alert warning of a trojan horse that was trying to infect my computer as soon as I clicked on the link in the above post! The software stopped it loading thankfully so I was able to safely close the window/tab.

It may be that my AV software (Avast free edition) threw up a false positive but I did not venture past the initial loading screen for obvious reasons.

Just thought folks should know.

warchild
June 16th, 2009, 10:30
it's a false alert..

Tako_Kichi
June 16th, 2009, 10:42
If you have 'Google Earth' Anna and type in Davis Mothan AFB' in the search box you will see thousands of stored aircraft if you pan to the east and south of the main airfield.

kilo delta
June 16th, 2009, 11:19
HEADS UP! VIRUS ALERT!

I just got an immediate virus alert warning of a trojan horse that was trying to infect my computer as soon as I clicked on the link in the above post! The software stopped it loading thankfully so I was able to safely close the window/tab.

It may be that my AV software (Avast free edition) threw up a false positive but I did not venture past the initial loading screen for obvious reasons.

Just thought folks should know.

The link is clean (according to Kaspersky Internet Security), you probably got a false positive alert. :)

Edit...just noticed you're running Avast freeware.....this AV tends to suffer a lot of false positives.

Tako_Kichi
June 16th, 2009, 11:27
The link is clean (according to Kaspersky Internet Security), you probably got a false positive alert. :)

Edit...just noticed you're running Avast freeware.....this AV tends to suffer a lot of false positives.
Thanks for the confirmation of the clean site (and to Warchild too). Regarding false positives, I think I have only ever seen 3 or 4 alerts at most in over 2.5 years of using Avast so I can't say that I am getting 'a lot of false positives' at this end.

Interestingly going back to the link above no longer produces the alert so maybe it was a 'glitch' on my first attempt to access the site.

CG_1976
June 16th, 2009, 11:35
False hit, I just tried using my Avast and it was clear.

blazefox2
June 16th, 2009, 12:16
most likely was an ad :isadizzy:

Thoe6969
June 16th, 2009, 14:15
False hit, I just tried using my Avast and it was clear. Thats funny my Avast threw an instant warning.