PDA

View Full Version : Pizza AND Beer

Trans_23
June 15th, 2009, 17:49
I have mentioned here a couple of times before about a friend of mine that was in the Air National Guard with me and is now on a mission again this year to send over a 747 loaded with pizzas over to Iraq and Afghanistan. This year they are going to have to make room for 8,000 cases of beer donated by Miller/Coors. I was just at my buddies house yesterday for a graduation party. One daughter graduated from high school and another from the Air Force Academy. Starting on Wednesday he will be in Chicago, Boston, then New York City for the official send off. He will also be flying to Baghdad himself to personally serve pizzas to the men and women serving in Iraq. He will be at Camp Victory where my daughter is stationed so I am hoping she will see him there. Here are a couple links with the stories. If you have some spare change lying around, please donate. The next shipment of pizza and beer will be leaving in February for the Superbowl.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2009/06/15/daily2.html?ana=from_rss

http://www.pizzas4patriots.com/

Cloud9Gal
June 15th, 2009, 17:58
Awww that's a nice story Trans_23! It's a feel good story! Thanks for sharing! :wiggle:

Please pass along my gratefulness to both your daughter and your friend's son....
I'm enjoying the freedom of this country because of service men and women.:medals:

Lionheart
June 15th, 2009, 19:53
Yumm....

:ernae:

Bill

PeteHam
June 15th, 2009, 20:06
Frontier Flying Service did this up in Alaska several years ago ......

April 11 2006

BOP Times

Last Christmas, residents of the Yupik Eskimo village of Savoonga added a special dish to their everyday fare of whale, walrus, reindeer and berries - fresh pizza flown in from Nome, 274 km away.

A tiny delivery joint, Airport Pizza, opened several months earlier just steps from Nome's busy runways, and many of Savoonga's 700 residents were eager to try something different.

Nome's first and only pizza delivery service does a robust business in the western Alaska town of 3500. But it really stands out for its free deliveries via commuter plane to more than a dozen other remote, spread-out subartic villages.

The village council in Savoonga, on St Lawrence Island in the icey Bering Sea, wanted a special holiday treat for young families in the village. It ordered 50 pizzas, half topped with chicken and ranch dressing and the other half with Canadian bacon and pineapple.

Frontier Flying Service, an intrastate airline, volunteered last year to fly the pizzas at no charge to every village on its regular flight schedule out of Nome.

Craig Kenmonth, general manager of Frontier, said the free delivery service helps the carrier market itself in a way that benefits customers in the largely Yupik and Inupiat Eskimo villages.

:applause: :applause:

Pete.

Snuffy
June 16th, 2009, 02:54
Great Cause ... :ernae:

Our service folks deserve a lot more than beer and pizza ... but I'm sure this will be a good taste of home for them.

:engel016: