PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the pigeons away

Lionheart
June 15th, 2009, 13:59
Hey guys,

I have been having a battle here with pigeons. I feed the little birds, and now and then, planting new grass seed.

But Ive had to put up thistle seed socks (bags of very thin black seed that small birds like, and can each it through the cloth bags that hang on trees), and a cage like hanging thing with a plate in it that I put small bird seed in (for finches, very fine seed), to keep the pigeons from eating their food. But, still, I'll come out in the early mornings to let the dogs out and find about 40 pigeons back there, no sparrows, no finches. And...! (and) about 2 giant fat pigeons in the hanging cage! (they barely fit, shoulder to shoulder).

I have hung up CD's from tree limbs, I have hung up strings of foil banner tapes (red, white, blue, silver), I purchased a large plastic owl with eyes that creep out my little dog that likes to go after birds... Nothing works..

Well, today at Home Depot, I found a remote control keychain fob that comes with a small white box with an antennae, (something from James Bond). Bing! I get an idea.

I get home, plug the white box into the outdoors socket. Then plug in an extension cord to that, run it to the area where I have grass seed planted, and got out the weed blower and put it on the ground, directed at the path of the 'landing zone'. I then plugged everything in, tested, works great! And I can manage it from my office window, totally remote control.

Now when I see the shadows of dropping mini fuselages against my window, I zap the remote, listen for the loud, massive whale of the weed blower, and look for the 'rapidly ascending' pigeons that are all in 'emergency go around' manuveres, heh heh...

I had heard of a sensor operated sprinkler that you hook up to your waterhose. It comes on to scare away small pets and birds from your lawn. There is also one that has a blow horn instead. (Saves water). But I couldnt find any on this side of town. I will be keeping an eye out for that though...

The pigeons are all going to have high blood pressure and bad bowel problems in about a week, lol... Probably all have gray feathers in 2 weeks...

Bill

stiz
June 15th, 2009, 14:53
never underestimate the power of the pidgion! :monkies:

Tako_Kichi
June 15th, 2009, 15:12
never underestimate the power of the pidgion! :monkies:
Do you mean like this one?......

http://hosting06.imagecross.com/image-hosting-02/5921yankeepigeon.jpg
http://journalfile.typepad.com/my_journalfile/images/2008/05/19/dastardly26muttleycolorart.jpg

Piglet
June 15th, 2009, 17:20
Mossberg 500!
Well, actually we put out trays of seed, then cover them with wire mesh baskets/trays upside down. The little guys can enter thru the mesh to get seed, but the sky rats can't fit thru. Cheaper, and works w/o human intervention.

Lionheart
June 15th, 2009, 19:57
Thanks Tim!

I'll locate some and put them back there.

By the way, they again got used to the weed blower.. So, I hung it up with a rope from the giant umbrella over it, suspended the cord, and now, when I blip the keyfob, that darn weed blower takes off, bangs against the embrella post, and dose a great little scare tactic. Freaked out the last pigeon. Hasnt been one since.

Bill

JoeW
June 16th, 2009, 00:03
There is a bird feeder that will drop down and close off if a Dove, pigeon or squirrel gets on it. Smaller birds can light on it without the drop down. I'll take some shots later and post. This feeder is great. It's 4:00 am here in Lake Placid right now. I'll take some shots after it gets light.

Snuffy
June 16th, 2009, 02:57
A perigren falcon ... trained for the flying pigs works too. :)

JoeW
June 16th, 2009, 03:42
K ...... Here is the feeder I have. Top shot is the whole feeder, second shows the feed window open and the adjustment spring, third shows the feed window closed because I'm pressing down on the perch. This feeder works really great against squirrels and doves. Not as much as the Mossberg tho.

Lionheart
June 16th, 2009, 07:26
Thanks Joe!

I havent seen those around here. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Meanwhile, every few min's, I give the keyfob a blip and run the blower out back for about 20 seconds, lol...

Amazingly, I have a Mossberg. I havent fired it in ages. I need to get a barrel cleaning kit and clean it up. I wonder if I can make a silencer for it.

:d

(kidding of course)

Bill

Lionus
June 16th, 2009, 14:17
I recommend Pancor Jackhammer if it would be in production. however, SPAS 15 will do nicely.

Pidgeon->:173go1:<-you

Piglet
June 16th, 2009, 18:53
Pancor Jackhammer!??!? We don't hate the pigeons THAT much!

Lionus
June 16th, 2009, 23:33
Then you haven't truly felt what kind of terror pidgeons can be.

Matt Wynn
June 17th, 2009, 06:33
yeah pigeons are a nuisance over here in the UK, can't shoot certain pigeon types but the Wood Pigeon you can, i use my silenced .22 ratcatcher air rifle for that job, also makes a nice meal afterwards :icon_lol: whay are people so scared of shooting pigeons? they taste good and are easy to skin and gut... anyways a PANCOR Jackhammer is small pickings..... now a truckload of LAW-72s (M72LAW) would be better :icon_lol: if the round doesn't directly hit them the blast wave will, i have a twisted mind when it comes to hunting and making it quicker :icon_lol:

Terry
June 17th, 2009, 07:14
Thanks Joe!

I havent seen those around here. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Meanwhile, every few min's, I give the keyfob a blip and run the blower out back for about 20 seconds, lol...

Amazingly, I have a Mossberg. I havent fired it in ages. I need to get a barrel cleaning kit and clean it up. I wonder if I can make a silencer for it.

(kidding of course)

Bill

Just move a few miles to the desert, no pigeons. But plenty of hawks and vultures to keep things cleaned up.

cheezyflier
June 17th, 2009, 07:55
yes, you can fashion a home made silencer for the mossberg, it's only gonna muffle things just so much, but it's surprising it can even do what it will.
i would suppose google is your friend on that one :wavey:

Barvan40
June 17th, 2009, 10:46
A building downtown has a device that plays the call of a hawk through a speaker. The pigeons have moved out, guess they didn't like the neighborhood anymore.

Lionheart
June 17th, 2009, 11:40
Man CF, I did google around and found some scool stuff!

I found the motion detector sprinkler, called the Scarecrow by Contech.

The airhorn blaster is called the Mini Scarecrow, also by Contech

They also sell nets and things to put over your yards (or lawn furniture) as well as the little spike assemblies that you can line your roof with, etc.

They recommend the air blaster for people with cat problems.

There are also the sonic devices, sound devices which have hawk sounds as well as 'total fear' bird sounds of many types of birds, (freaks them out).

Google under Anti Pigeon Devices.

No Mossberg silencers though...

cheezyflier
June 17th, 2009, 12:32
Man CF, I did google around and found some scool stuff!

No Mossberg silencers though...

there is a silencer kit specifically for the mossberg:
http://www.bigginhill.co.uk/hush.htm

here is a youtube video for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j5P0LXemAA

googling "homemade shotgun silencer" i found several options

Matt Wynn
June 17th, 2009, 12:49
if it was a rifle a plastic bottle does the trick for 1 shot only but a silenced shotgun, imagine the chaos that'd cause! remember though a silencer is only truly effective if using subsonic ammunition, the normal giveaway noise is the supersonic crack of the round, just like the tip of a whip, swing it ithout reason it travels subsonic, make it crack it passes mach1 or so they say... theres an idea, combine the sprinkler WITH oh i don't know a nice oil tank then you stop them from flying due to the oil, so you just pick them up and put them on the freeway forget playing chicken..... play pigeon, my mind is weird at times :icon_lol: