PDA

View Full Version : Might be saying good bye to FSX

Headwind
June 14th, 2009, 21:01
I had formatted a while back and had fsx running perfect for once in a long time. Out of nowhere I started getting the crashing again. Says FSX a fatal error has occured. Then gives two options, one to check for solutions and restart the sim or just restart the sim. It does this anywhere from 20 seconds to 15 minutes into a flight. When this started again I haven't installed anything or uninstalled anything. The only thing that changed at all is there were a couple of windows updates. I thought those could be the problem so I uninstalled them. Well after that the sim would barely start at all. So I reformated and now the only thing I have on this machine is Vista + updates up to SP2, and FSX + acceleration. nothing else, no addons or anything. However I am still crashing with the "fatal error has occured" and then restart options.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have google this problem all day and the only thing I found close to a fix was one guy saying he fixed it after 7 months however doesn't say what the fix was.

rwmarth
June 14th, 2009, 21:07
Have you tried looking in the performance and reliability program with Vista for any hints as to what is going on?

Headwind
June 14th, 2009, 21:24
I'm not really sure what you mean. Which reliability program?

MenendezDiego
June 14th, 2009, 21:56
just get xp

Headwind
June 14th, 2009, 23:03
well, vista works fantastic with every other program that I use. Only FSX gives me any trouble. So I will not be going back to XP. Other games that I play that use dx10 work very well and give me no problems what so ever.

Marlin
June 14th, 2009, 23:27
Oh man I feel for ya!!
Good luck getting it going.

Francois
June 14th, 2009, 23:27
If you REALLY want answers that make more sense than just 'change your OS' it helps when you post your configuration (both hardware and software) when asking such questions. Like, are you running Vista 32 or 64 bits for instance? Makes a world of difference :wiggle:

Lionheart
June 14th, 2009, 23:28
HW,

Make sure you arent overheating. Are your fans running? Do you have cooling jackets on your Ram?

FSX will heat up ALL chips on a Mobo real fast, and with your time element in there, it sounds like you are cooking things.

If you are OC'd (overclocked) on certain things like your GC, then that is probably your cause. Back things off, lower sliders, and see if that helps.

Bill

michael davies
June 15th, 2009, 01:13
As Bill says, check your innards, make sure its all clean in there, the fan cooler and vents etc, heat is one of the biggest issues I find if your system starts to deteriorate, it may also be a RAM problem, FSx uses a lot of RAM and you might have a bad stick, there are some freeware test utilities on the net, I cant remember which one I used when I had similar problems and it found the one bad stick in four.

Harleyman or any of the other tech gurus here would be better advised as to which is the best tester. There are also free CPU heat monitors out there, CPUz, HWMonitor or Coretemp will all tell you if your CPU is getting hot whilst running FSx, which is very CPU intensive.

My gut is heat or a bad stick of RAM, both have caused me similar problems in the past.

Hope that helps

Michael

Addendum, just seen this tool ' memtest86+ ' from the RAM thread below, that might help ?.

Epsillon
June 15th, 2009, 01:34
As Bill says, check your innards, make sure its all clean in there, the fan cooler and vents etc, heat is one of the biggest issues I find if your system starts to deteriorate, it may also be a RAM problem, FSx uses a lot of RAM and you might have a bad stick, there are some freeware test utilities on the net, I cant remember which one I used when I had similar problems and it found the one bad stick in four.

Harleyman or any of the other tech gurus here would be better advised as to which is the best tester. There are also free CPU heat monitors out there, CPUz, HWMonitor or Coretemp will all tell you if your CPU is getting hot whilst running FSx, which is very CPU intensive.

My gut is heat or a bad stick of RAM, both have caused me similar problems in the past.

Hope that helps

Michael

Addendum, just seen this tool ' memtest86+ ' from the RAM thread below, that might help ?.
Memtest86+ is great utility to test the health of your RAM sticks.

http://www.memtest.org/

Good luck!

Stephan

Headwind
June 15th, 2009, 05:51
I'll see what I can find. The crazy part is I know when I had this problem before I had run the memory tests and found no errors.

I'm running vista 32, 9800gt, amd 6000+, 2gigs ddr2. Nothing is overclocked. I have run the heat monitoring programs in the past but I'll try that again.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

robrealair
June 15th, 2009, 06:13
One thing that can crash FSX which often goes undetected is if one or more of the -.fx files in the effects folder gets corrupted or edited in a way that just one digit out of place can close the whole sim.

Depending on how you've got your system setup (error reporting switched on or off for example), it is possible to be completely unaware of these small files, and sometimes .dll's, .sys and other library type files which are crashing FSX and are difficult to trace.

It's a popular sport to blame Vista, which is far from my favourite OS, but in fact Vista has crashed FSX less often than XP used to.

One thing worth doing if you have an unexplained crash is to temporarily rename or move the whole effects folder then see if the cause is there. Next, look in your main FSX folder, then your modules folder for a likely suspect that might have been added. Some third party software for example change files like gaugesound.dll and other core library files. They can easily get messed up.

Rob Young

rwmarth
June 15th, 2009, 06:27
I'm not really sure what you mean. Which reliability program?

Sorry, not perfromance monitor, but rather open up event viewer. Type event viewer in at the start button (or just hit the windows key and type event and it will come up).
Once in, on the lefthand side vertical menu, there will be a link saying custom views. Double click that and then select the administrative events. There will then be a long list of errors, warnings, etc. Scroll through and find the messages relating to FSX's crashes. There should be at least a little more info on your problem in there that you can perhaps use to find the answer. There is a general tab that displays the error message and a details tab next to it that may help narrow the problem down.

Also, do you use any peripheral controllers like a joystick or pedals? If so, see if keeping those disconnected has any effect, or even uninstall those drivers for it too.

gera
June 15th, 2009, 09:07
One thing that can crash FSX which often goes undetected is if one or more of the -.fx files in the effects folder gets corrupted or edited in a way that just one digit out of place can close the whole sim.

Depending on how you've got your system setup (error reporting switched on or off for example), it is possible to be completely unaware of these small files, and sometimes .dll's, .sys and other library type files which are crashing FSX and are difficult to trace.

It's a popular sport to blame Vista, which is far from my favourite OS, but in fact Vista has crashed FSX less often than XP used to.

One thing worth doing if you have an unexplained crash is to temporarily rename or move the whole effects folder then see if the cause is there. Next, look in your main FSX folder, then your modules folder for a likely suspect that might have been added. Some third party software for example change files like gaugesound.dll and other core library files. They can easily get messed up.

Rob Young

Rob has hit a point right on concerning corrupted the never looked but often "overwritten" by very old or non working .fx files or just corrupted ones!!!!...I had this starting on me once and after I "cleaned" the .fx directory the problem went away. .DLL files also may be the cause...the other day I loaded a "payware" file and BoOM!!!! two days later I started getting a "blue" screen...killed the .dll this add-on had placed in the main FSX directory and the problem disappeared....I must say this against FSX:...This is a very unstable program, I think its Beta stage was a joke and much halloova was made of the greatness of the Aces....only programs with such a history will give you so much problems, sorry to say, since I like it so much, its was placed in the market ahead of its time....if they would have really tested it and done a good job at it, it would still have a few bugs here and there but its short life has been from the outset what some a few thousand of years ago cataloged it as "calvary"......:kilroy::kilroy:

PS: on the harware side of the coin....Ram chips and cooling can be killers also.

Helldiver
June 15th, 2009, 09:53
Headwind, Get rid of Vista. Replace it with Windows XP. Vista robs your memory and gives you nada in return.
Plus add another gig of memory. Wthout 3 gigs of memory, you are just camping out with FSX.
I speak the truth here.

RyanJames170
June 15th, 2009, 11:07
Headwind, Get rid of Vista. Replace it with Windows XP. Vista robs your memory and gives you nada in return.
Plus add another gig of memory. Wthout 3 gigs of memory, you are just camping out with FSX.
I speak the truth here.

i have to disagree. considering XP dosent have an good memory manager. Vista may use like 1000 MB at idel but with FSX going it may only use 512 or less. two by the sounds of it he would loose an lot of other games he ejoys to play. then you have the fact of buying it it $$$ he could spend on FSX addons or more memory.

RyanJames170
June 15th, 2009, 11:12
and if you realy want to change your OS go to windows 7 when its out way better choice then XP

StickMan
June 15th, 2009, 11:39
I speak the truth here.

Well my Vista 64 Ultimate runs only on 650MB RAM (was 1.3GB) so seams to use just as much as Windows XP with some unneeded things not running. And Vista does offer somethings that XP dose not that some may use like stronger IIS witch XP IIS only allows 10 connection and Vista over 4 billion (just to hit on one major diffrence in Xp/Vista). It really depends on your use of a operation system to see the real diffrent Vista gives you. If you just look at Vista may say "nada" has change from XP but those people hardly use a OS for stuff other then playing and emailing, they are not power users of the OS.

Plus I'm sure since he said above all his other DX10 games run fine, so I'm sure he is trying to keep DX10 for other games. Also depending on the age of the computer and the amount of application and programs put on a HDD, maybe it is time for a NICE reformat of Vista and start over with a clean HDD, registery, etc. Since he would have to do the same to roll back to a older OS that offers less thing for power users of the OS.

It is funny how many many people have no problems with Vista even after 3+ years after realses and same with FSX. Why do some crash out and so get BSOD etc etc While others don't. Most don't. It is because there is come inconcistany that exist on there computer. I have never seen anyone who knows how to take care of a computer and install things and uninstall things right have troubles with any program crashing frezzing etc.

Reformat the HDD and clean your computer up. With everything fresh there is no way FSX with crash on a fresh OS install. Over time I'm sure his computer has become a little unmangaed and something small is making the conflict since it just starting happening. If it was Vista don't you think he would have had these problems long ago, uless he just got Vista. I'm even sure it is not a Windows Vista update because most here update there rigs and I'm sure 80% of us here are running the same updates.

Blame it on the OS what a go to answer!

JimC1702
June 15th, 2009, 11:44
I had the very same problem occur. FSX was working fine. I installed the Vista Service Pack 2 and FSX no long worked. I got the "fatal error" message at various of times of loading, starting or using FSX. I ran DXDIAG and found that I had much older video card drivers installed than what was previously installed.

I downloaded newer video drivers and installed them and FSX has not crashed since.

I found on Microsoft's website where it stated that a Service Pack may install older drivers. I didn't think that was too cool.

Jim

gera
June 15th, 2009, 12:34
Vista Guys beware, apparently MS will be killing it with Windows 7 !!!!!!!!..... MS is making more and more OS mistakes as they get older......wonder if they have started to loose some nuts and bolts...Oh Boy!!! and Us XP´rs now what????......where we go...to the tunnels, to the tunnels guys!!!!!!:173go1:

rwmarth
June 15th, 2009, 12:53
MS killing Vista? Sorry to say this to everyone who hates Vista, but Vista's kernels and the core of the OS will likely be MS's basis for the next 10 years. As mentioned above, Vista is far superior to XP for a power user. It will be kind of funny to watch how many people say how amazing windows 7 is and that MS "finally ditched Vista". New taskbar, touchscreen, and automatic windows resizing... other than that it's Vista SP3. With how much people are afraid of change in OS, Im surprised more people arent still stuck using Windows 98 or 2000. Go to a library and find a book like "Vista Inside Out" or "Vista Secrets" and read that over. Might as well wait till windows 7 at this point, but the advantages of running an OS based upon Vista will be very apparent. Vista's start menu alone has made a tremendous difference in my computing and Id never give that feature up for anything less.

Headwind
June 15th, 2009, 13:03
as of about an hour ago I checked and checked for things and didn't find any problems. Sooo, I went and got a big box fan, open the side of the case and put it right on it. Well the heat has to be the problem somewhere. All temps seem to be normal but with the fan on it no fatal errors. I try some longer flights when I can after the little one get to bed tonight and see if the problem returns. Thank you all for the help!!!

On the XP vista thing. There is no way I would ever go back to XP from Vista. I haven't had any trouble at all with vista except right after the release of it a long time ago. All of my other games and programs run very well on it and 95% of them run 2-3 times better in Vista than they did in XP. So the XP thing is simply not an option.

robrealair
June 15th, 2009, 13:35
This thread is not a Vista and Xp comparison fest but someone wanting to know what crashed his system. In my experience if a corrupted .dll or even cfg file in FSX contains bad data it can crash Vista or XP equally well!

Rob Young

scotsman
June 15th, 2009, 13:42
Had the same problems recently with XP, FSX SP1 and SP2.
I deleted SP2, made a restart, reloaded SP2, did another restart and FSX was back to its best. I can neiter explain why FSX crashed nor why it recovered - my solution was an act of deparation only.

Mike

FAC257
June 15th, 2009, 14:16
Sooo, I went and got a big box fan, open the side of the case and put it right on it. Well the heat has to be the problem somewhere. All temps seem to be normal but with the fan on it no fatal errors. I try some longer flights when I can after the little one get to bed tonight and see if the problem returns.

Headwind

If that seems to cure the issue, you may simply have a terminal case of dust bunnies built up inside that thing. You may want to grab a few canned air things from a local store and give the insides a good blasting. I'm pretty much a fanatic about internal case cleaning and I'm still surprised at how fast dust and fur builds up on the system boards and all of the fans. It may not be the actual cure, but it's inexpensive. I've never personallly opened up someones else's computer to work on that wasn't inundated with the warm and fuzzies inside. :)

FAC

Headwind
June 15th, 2009, 17:30
Headwind

You may want to grab a few canned air things from a local store and give the insides a good blasting.

I did that today and it really wasn't that bad, I have a huge case with a window on the side. However I did pull it apart and as you say gave it a good blasting.

I do know that it has been way hotter here over the past few days than it's been in a while. I think it's been about 104 every day for a week

icarus
June 16th, 2009, 06:02
i have used vista(how complicate user's life it's better call it) ten minutes then closed forever....i doubt xp user goes on the tunnel, most computer sales came from netbooks and they still have xp, i continue with xp and xp pro, no crashes, no aero, no problems.

Arkycharlie
June 16th, 2009, 10:07
I experienced the fatal error problem a few months back. It turned out to be caused by a problem in my FSX.cfg file. You might try this, if you haven't already. Make a backup copy of this file first, then delete the file and when FSX starts, it will build a new one for you. The downside is you lose all of your settings and it is a pain to configure it from scratch again. Another approach is to remove all of the entries for add on aircraft, because that is a likely place where the problem is. These entries look like this:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Payware\CS_C130\panel\Captain_Sim.c13 0.main.GAU.coebzhztnkzkqwcboriaqtelawcaaqtwiwbziii k=2

If that fixes the problem, you haven't lost all of the other settings.

I try and keep my FSX.cfg file cleaned up by editing it to remove such entries whenever I uninstall or remove an add on.

charlie