PDA

View Full Version : Bad News

Neil Washbrook
June 14th, 2009, 05:30
Dispite my initial optimism it looks like currently I am not going to be able to get Netwings.org back on line and to make matters worse I am not going to be able to retrieve the files off it.

Work makes it even worse due to machine failures at home and illness over the last year I have not been able to mantain anyform of backup schedule for it. I know me bad but sometimes things just dont happen due to other issues.

I will carry on trying to get the files and also launch a full scale search of my backup media at home to find anything usuable but it does not look promising.

To say the least after the site being active either as CFS2Online or Netwings.org since before CFS2 was launched I am more than dissapointed.

I will keep trying though I promise, if I can retrieve the library then there is some hope without that there is little point :(

Neil Washbrook

OBIO
June 14th, 2009, 06:12
Neil

While the loss of Netwings and the resouces found on it is a terrible thing, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. Not when your health is an issue. If you can find/retrieve the files, great. If not, life goes on. And that is the key thing, LIFE. Take care of yourself first. Do not put your health in jeopardy stressing out over the recovery process. While lossing those files will be a big blow to the simming community, the loss of YOU would be a bigger blow to the people who know and love you.

You will be in my prayers.

OBIO

Panther_99FS
June 14th, 2009, 06:42
Neil,
As OBIO has stated, take care of yourself first.......The hardware/software will always be around...

Ickie
June 14th, 2009, 07:39
Neil, if you need web space let me know, SOH has space available for you. Maybe just getting the forums up and running is a good start.

Neil Washbrook
June 14th, 2009, 08:22
Kind offer Ickie and thanks

If I start again it will be a totally redesigned site from the ground up including a file library even it is initially blank.

I would also like it to located away from SOH more than anything else for redundancy reasons - we both know and have experienced the Is ????? down in our forums :) If for some reason SOH has the same issues I am having (unlikely I know) then at least some other source of some of the info and files will survive.

And to those advising health first - you bet and my fanillies as well (another issue that is plagueing me but to complex to go into here).

Basically the issue is due to multiple changes of ownership of the hosting service whilst I have been absent means that the server has gone AWOL I have not got a ****** clue where it is. All contacts I have made with the "new" company have generated no response and I have tracked down some of the members of the "old" company in new roles and got no response from them either.

I check my emails many times daily for any form of response but zilch. As far as I am concerned they can have the server - all I want is the disks or a copy of them :(

Mathias
June 14th, 2009, 08:43
That's bad news, indeed!
Just let me echo what the others allready said: take care of yourself first, Neil.

Rami
June 14th, 2009, 10:21
I am sad about this, but I commend you for placing your health and family first.

crashaz
June 14th, 2009, 12:00
Health and family first.If you want to rebuild the libraries I am sure the guys in the basement(CFS2 forum) will get busy uploading what we have.

Take care of yourself first.

:wavey:

Roger
June 14th, 2009, 15:09
Health first Neil! Take care.

Cheers,

Roger.

lefty
June 14th, 2009, 16:16
Take care Neil and don't worry about the site.

best wishes, Mike.

GT182
June 14th, 2009, 16:38
Neil,
As OBIO has stated, take care of yourself first.......The hardware/software will always be around...

I gotta say the same as Panther and OBIO... your health comes first and foremost.

Besides that Neil, anyone that's downloaded from Netwings should be more than glad to get what they have back to you to rebuild..... if they can remember what they got.

TARPSBird
June 14th, 2009, 21:04
Neil,
We're just happy to be back in contact with you. :) Take care of yourself first, and sort out Netwings when you're up to it.

Neil Washbrook
June 15th, 2009, 06:53
I have one more lead that I am following up on - initially via a Contact Us web page - if that fails I might be asking someone Stateside to place a call to Illonois for me :)

Neil Washbrook
June 15th, 2009, 07:09
Just posted this in the CFS2 part of SOH so for consistencies sake posting it here as well

Ok chaps thanks for the above support and getting the project to identify and locate files up and running.

I have had a very kind offer of hosting which I am considering strongly. It is going to represent a considerable amount of work and learning for me as its going to have to be a ground up design in a scripting language (php) that I have little or no experience in.

Not wanting to get hopes up but I do want to get Netwings up and running again. I would empahise that its not going to be next week or even next month and with my health record it might be some time indeed.

I have always said I will maintain Netwings as long as I possibly can and its a statement I intend to carry out even if its initially a blank forum and no files in the library!

Neil Washbrook
June 15th, 2009, 07:18
Basically the issue is due to multiple changes of ownership of the hosting service whilst I have been absent means that the server has gone AWOL I have not got a ****** clue where it is. All contacts I have made with the "new" company have generated no response and I have tracked down some of the members of the "old" company in new roles and got no response from them either.

I check my emails many times daily for any form of response but zilch. As far as I am concerned they can have the server - all I want is the disks or a copy of them :(

Just to put the record straight I am now getting multiple responses from my last plea and the staff there are pulling out every stop to try and help find the server for which Im very gratefull.

crashaz
June 15th, 2009, 08:46
Cool buddy... sounds encouraging. We will be standing by in case help is needed.
:wavey:

WuhWuzDat
June 15th, 2009, 09:17
Neil, If you need a phone call to Illinois, let me know (Im in the state, and have free long distance calling)

swilgus
June 19th, 2009, 15:42
Mr. Westbrook, I share as a Nurse the sentiments that things are "small" in grand scheme, but health goes and sometimes is irrecoverable. Get well and then try to do as your heart sees fit. I am so low a newbie that all I can and do offer are my prayers for a complete recovery of you and yours.

swilgus
June 19th, 2009, 15:44
Make that Mr Washbrook - thank God I am a million times better nurse than typist.

ianhind
June 27th, 2009, 02:22
Don't forget the "Wayback machine" at http://web.archive.org

You might want to try:

http://web.archive.org/web/*sr_1nr_10/http://files.netwings.org/* and work through the pages

Certainly some of the files can be downloaded from there - your success may vary but better than losing everything?

Doesn't look like the forums are there though.