PDA

View Full Version : salt_air / southbound - Eastern Air Lines / L-049 / North America

salt_air
June 13th, 2009, 03:21
Official Tracking Thread:

Eastern's entry will be leaving later today after all of the last minute checks are complete.

At that time we will be proceeding as planed to San Juan and await further instructions as to routing into Bueno Aires.

All of us here at "Eastern" would like to offer our Best Wishes for a safe, productive, and excitng trip to each entry in this wonderful event.

:ernae:

salt_air
June 14th, 2009, 03:12
After a slight miscalculation in our original plan to destination was caught and corrected, the EAL team finishes it's preflight checks and prepares for taxi to the active at CYUL.

Dorval ground, Eastern Air Lines 541 ready for push-back gate C-8.

Eastern Air lines 541, rodger.

salt_air
June 14th, 2009, 03:50
Eastern Air Lines flight 541 is taking off RWY 24L CYUL to KLGA non-stop.

TOW=81418

Payload=19940

salt_air
June 14th, 2009, 05:12
EAL 541 is down safe at La Guardia

Landing weight= 77880 lbs (whoops)

Fuel used= 3504 lbs

Last minute desision to make a river appraoch to RWY 13, then the vis went somewhere....should have "lost" about 80 lbs of fuel, but got carried away when vis got poor. A suprise tailwind for a lot of the descent.

Educational flight to say the least, plane handles beautifully.

I'll take a break then off to Washington DC.

MM
June 14th, 2009, 05:41
Beautiful Connie, that!

President Rickenbacker will be proud.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKEAXQiuDIM

salt_air
June 14th, 2009, 12:16
Beautiful Connie, that!

President Rickenbacker will be proud.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKEAXQiuDIM

What a great collection of vids Mike!

Thank You kindly and I hope others that view this thread will take a few minutes and watch all of these.

I made a playlist with all 8.

I had no idea that Godfrey was such an enthusiast.

MM
June 14th, 2009, 13:44
Yes, a truly marvelous collection of videos. Glad you enjoyed them!

salt_air
June 14th, 2009, 14:06
EAL 541 is taking off RWY 13 at KLGA for departure to KDCA.

There's 10 kt x-wind out of 080 with light rain.

TOW= 79740

Payload= 19940

salt_air
June 14th, 2009, 15:08
"Green" landing at KDCA

salt_air
June 14th, 2009, 15:30
EAL 541 makes a "Green" landing at KDCA.

Landing weight= 77030 lbs

Fuel used= 2688 lbs

Never paid attention before this as to how short the range is on these NDB's around here (38NM).

Had to use RWY 15,,,,very exciting.

Time to change pants and rest up for the trip to Miami.

Moses03
June 14th, 2009, 15:48
Nice job fellow L-049A driver. :ernae:

salt_air
June 14th, 2009, 17:47
Nice job fellow L-049A driver. :ernae:

Thank you Sir!,,,,,are we the only two L-049 drivers out here?

salt_air
June 15th, 2009, 14:37
EAL 541 continues on to KMIA out of KDCA.

Headwinds already,,,hope they change at altitude,,,or not, cause I'm toten a little extra fuel.

(I think?...what?)....:isadizzy:

This will be the third and last of three required flights made in total darkness from start to finish. (CYUL-KLGA-KDCA-KMIA)

TOW= 88046 lbs

Payload= 19940 lbs

Cleared for take off RWY 19,,,,Eastern 541....:running:

salt_air
June 15th, 2009, 17:57
EAL 541 arriving at gate E 7.....

Landing weight= 77337 lbs

Fuel used= 11018 lbs

Accumulated flight time= 5:37

Favorable winds most of the way and partly cloudy skies to allow a visual of the coastline which made it nice. Plane does a little bit better on fuel than I thought,,,,,but we'll keep checking.

I'm glad these required nightime flights are accomplished.

Weather is here....wish you were beautiful.

Another Margarita por favor! :ernae:

Moses03
June 16th, 2009, 12:49
...are we the only two L-049 drivers out here?

Looks that way. The other Connie drivers were seduced by the 1049 models...

salt_air
June 16th, 2009, 18:02
Looks that way. The other Connie drivers were seduced by the 1049 models...

Well then,,, "Hats off to you and I",,,,drinks on me.

Best of luck to ya!

BTW: Full payload and reserves only in the tanks shows up as 7% at the top-o-the screen when you hit the shift + Z a couple of times....;)

Now if I could just get some descent GPH figures for this "wild bird".

Okay break's over ,,,yuz guys get back to work! :running:

salt_air
June 17th, 2009, 17:40
After waiting ALL day for the list of the items we were supposed to collect for the trip to be checked off,,,,we are told to proceed with out the last item we had been waiting ALL that time for,,,,Duct Tape??

I have to ask how could a city the size of Miami be completely out of Duct Tape? With no shipments due before next week, we push on. Strange indeed,,,we will just be forced to buy from street vendors in Havana.

Out of KMIA (finally) EAL flight 541 ready to go RWY 12 to MUHA.....

Eastern 541 cleared for take-off RWY 12 departure to the south approved.

TOW= 79769

Payload= 19940

salt_air
June 17th, 2009, 18:43
Down safe at MUHA

Boy, these daytime flights are cool.

Landing weight= 76971 lbs

Fuel used= 2769 lbs

MM
June 17th, 2009, 18:49
Congrats.

Now to relax. A few snorts at the Tropicana?

salt_air
June 17th, 2009, 18:51
Congrats.

Now to relax. A few snorts at the Tropicana?

Ahh yes,,,,,,,but of course!

TAXI!!!

jt_dub
June 17th, 2009, 19:04
Welcome to Havana Sir!

salt_air
June 18th, 2009, 03:04
Thank you kindly Sir....

Charming place, love to stay for a while, but we really must press on.

salt_air
June 18th, 2009, 03:18
After what turned into a rather lengthy visit to the Tropicana, we set out to sample some of the local cuisine. Turns out the navigator has relatives here and we are very fotunate to have a nice home cooked meal waiting.

Stuffed now with something called "Guinea Hen Fricassee" and some tamales on the side we rinse everything back with a cool Batido de Mango and we're off to the airport.

:jump:

salt_air
June 18th, 2009, 03:55
Eastern Air Lines flight 541 for Kingston, Jamaica now boarding at Gate 4.

Hazy and slight headwind taking off MUHA-MKJP

TOW= 84199

Payload= 19940

RedGreen
June 18th, 2009, 04:09
So my ol' buddy is coming to Kingston. Looks like we picked a good day to take off from flying. Let's meet up at the airport, and I'll show you a good restaurant I found called "The Joy Boat" for dinner tonight. The calypso music is pretty good, and the food ain't half bad either.

salt_air
June 18th, 2009, 05:54
EAL 541 down safe at MKJP

Getting better but still struggling with fuel quantities for these flights.

Just too conservative so far.

Landing weight= 77548 lbs

Fuel used= 6622 lbs

Clean green trip. Had some thunderstorms building under us on the way out of Cuba, then pretty sooth sailing past the Cayman Islands and into Jamaica. Partly cloudy and winds less than 10 kts at FL 190.

Now off to sample the local fare here,,,,oh look already being approached,,,boy she looks nice! :icon_lol:

salt_air
June 18th, 2009, 06:19
So my ol' buddy is coming to Kingston. Looks like we picked a good day to take off from flying. Let's meet up at the airport, and I'll show you a good restaurant I found called "The Joy Boat" for dinner tonight. The calypso music is pretty good, and the food ain't half bad either.

Secured a couple of bottles of some local brewed grog. Supposed to drink this warm he says..??? We'll see,,,The Joy Boat is being talked about rather well,,,,should be good.

Two local gals will be there as well,,,,,told 'um of your suggestion for dinner and they insisted on meeting us there and showing us, let's see how did it go ...."sum-tin a little different mon".......

Uh huh....:ernae:

salt_air
June 19th, 2009, 13:22
Getting my ducks in a row to make the hop to San Juan.

Red,

In case I'm gone before you get back to the airport, I've paid all the fines and bails been posted. Liberal expense account is coming in handy.

See ya in Puerto Rico :ernae:

salt_air
June 19th, 2009, 16:34
Clear skies ,,,no wind.

EAL 541 taking off MKJP-TJIG

TOW= 84197

Payload= 19940

salt_air
June 19th, 2009, 19:08
Landed at TJIG with

Landing weight= 76929 lbs

Fuel used 7242 lbs

Beautiful skies and slight tailwinds most of the way,,,,good thing because I was into the reserves on approach.

Very intimidating approach to a fairly short RWY 9

Time for a cold one.

4 airports in Required Commercial Centers

2 airports in Additional Commercial Centers

Now which way do we go? :jump:

Willy
June 19th, 2009, 19:09
There's a cold one waiting for ya at the Pilot's Lounge! :guinness:

salt_air
June 19th, 2009, 19:26
There's a cold one waiting for ya at the Pilot's Lounge! :guinness:

Amen brotha!

salt_air
June 20th, 2009, 06:18
EAL flight 541 is taking off RWY 27 ....TJIG-TNCC

Leaving early for what may be a long day in the Captain's chair...:running:

Vis is 50 NM and no wind,,,,,till the sun comes up a little higher.

Dead Reckoning till I can pick up the Bonaire NDB and vis on the airport at Curacaos Is.

TOW= 83400

Payload= 19940

salt_air
June 20th, 2009, 08:31
Down safe at TNCC after a short tour of Bonaire Is. to burn off some fuel and as it turns out I could have gone a little straighter to Curacaos Is. because I wound up in an unplanned downwind (my how the wx changes) and then a stinking go around due to a bounce I didn't trust. Told the passengers there was a turtle in the runway we didn't want to smash. I'm sure there was at sometime.

This is a meal stop and to transfer cargo. The same group of passengers is headed to Panama and then points south from there.

Wound up with:

Landing weight= 77319 lbs

Fuel used= 6037 lbs.

Not impressed with EAL's fuel consumption,,,,is it the FE or the design of the plane?

Will have to do some serious drinking,,,,,uh,,,thinking,, about this before we continue on. :isadizzy:

MM
June 20th, 2009, 08:53
You had all of us in suspense about which route Eastern Air Lines would serve. Nice bit of narrative...Well done.:applause:

Found a token of "Hands across the Waters" partnership in the poster below.

salt_air
June 21st, 2009, 06:11
A bit of "irony" as Red Green put it, for Eastern to go West. Admittedly I had loaded up a lot of scenery for the eastern side of S. America such as Rochambeau, Rio de Janeiro, etc., but as this event progressed it caused me to recall, in an very affectionate way, another event that took place right here not all that long ago known as the 1941 Pan American Race.

After some consideration in Miami I decided to change the original plan of "burning" the wildcard straight to San Juan for an attack, so to speak, down the eastern side. However, as I recalled the 1941 race and what a struggle it was through the Andes with my trusted and beloved DC-3, the Laird Turner Meteor (on loan from Col. Roscoe Turner himself), and another one of my personal favorites a polished aluminum Spartan Executive 7W, I began to think about how nice it would be to go that way again in an aircraft that has a bit more "punch" to it. Besides it has been eight years and I need to "mark my spots" again....:icon_lol:.

Thanks for provoking this thought and affording me a way to explore it once again in this post.

The "Hands across the Waters" is a another welcomed bit of info that I had not heard or read about at all. Very interesting.

salt_air
June 21st, 2009, 07:00
The Great Canal at Panama looms ahead for us on our way down the west coast of South America.

EAL flight 541 TNCC-MPMG departing RWY 11.

Beautiful wx and no wind, looking forward to a scenic flight grazing the north coast of South America and then landing on the west coast of Panama.

As the Atlantic Ocean is on our horizon for take off, the Pacific Ocean will be what we view upon landing...:jump:

TOW= 85396 lbs

Payload= 19940 lbs

salt_air
June 21st, 2009, 09:44
EAL 541 Landed safe at MPMG

Vis fades in and out during approach so I couldn't get the shots of the Panama Canal I would have liked. Perhaps I can squeeze a few more screenies off after take-off on next leg.

A few more clouds on this flight than others so far, but with the mountains in the distance there is still scenery to replace what is being missed on the ground.

These daytime flights are a winner for the passengers and crew.

Landing weight= 77564 lbs

Fuel used= 7789 lbs

Flight time= 02:43:02

To this point Eastern has completed all 3 required Nightime (complete darkness) legs:

CYUL-KLGA/KLGA-KDCA/KDAC-KMIA

Eastern's entry has also accomplished landings at the following Commercial Centers:

(5) Required= KLGA/KDCA/KMIA/TJIG/MPMG
(3) Additional= MUHA/MKJP/TNCC

Eastern has not exhausted it's wildcard.

Cumulative times and tonnage can be ascertained from the attached spreadsheet on the Evita Race Progress thread:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=17871

or are available on request from Eastern's headquarters.

EAL flight 541 is due in Buenos Aires by weeks end. ....:running: (if not sooner)

salt_air
June 21st, 2009, 18:39
So as to not waste any time tomorrow with "dilly-dally" about getting pictures of the Panama Canal we'll Eastern's Kellet up for a few shots before retiring for the night.

The Kellet is another tuff one to handle around the taxiways especially in tight turns, but flys like a dream and I believe I could land it in the back of a pick-up truck,,,,,,,,while it was moving.:jump:

salt_air
June 22nd, 2009, 12:09
Eastern turns their attention southward with a flight from Panama to Ecuador (MPMG-SEGU) and makes it's first touch down on the mainland of South America.

Cloudy skies with thunder, lightning and rain, winds from 280 at 6.

TOW= 85604

Payload= 19940

Moses03
June 22nd, 2009, 12:31
That Kellet is a hoot to fly. Sometimes we have "Kellet Jousting" matches with those online. :icon_lol:

salt_air
June 22nd, 2009, 12:55
That Kellet is a hoot to fly. Sometimes we have "Kellet Jousting" matches with those online. :icon_lol:

How do you "joust" with a Kellet Moses? :isadizzy:

salt_air
June 22nd, 2009, 15:00
Good landing at SEGU,,,,gorgeous flight untill just under 3000' then vis went bad.

Surprised at how shy I still am with the reserve fuel while trying to allocate for each flight.

But another safe one for Eastern.

Landing weight= 77575 lbs

Fuel used= 7972.4 lbs

Flight time= 02:52:42

Willy
June 22nd, 2009, 15:51
How do you "joust" with a Kellet Moses? :isadizzy:

Think attempted head on collisions on purpose ;)

salt_air
June 22nd, 2009, 17:43
Think attempted head on collisions on purpose ;)

I did already........:applause:

You guys are alright!

VC cockpit view??

salt_air
June 22nd, 2009, 17:57
Took some time to add a few numbers for back-up reference if needed.

A few totals so far after landing at SEGU:

Flight Time= 18:53:27
Used Fuel= 55641.0 lbs
Payload Weight= 179460 lbs
Miles Flown= 4254.4 NM
Penalties= 0:04 (79.6 lbs over on MLW at KLGA)

Commercial Centers:

(5) Required= KLGA/KDCA/KMIA/TJIG/MPMG
(4) Additional= MUHA/MKJP/TNNC/SEGU

salt_air
June 23rd, 2009, 04:01
EAL flight 541 out of Guayaquil for Las Palmas (SEGU-SPLP)

Clear skies with no wind.

Keeping an eye out for Taco (overdue).

TOW= 85543 lbs

Payload= 19940

salt_air
June 23rd, 2009, 06:47
Need a ruling from the committee on this flight.

No crash, just showing a refueling error.

Did NOT add any fuel, but I did make a bad entry into the first tank field in the change fuel screen at which point the duenna immediately registered an error message.

The mistake was corrected before the remaining entries were made and I proceeded to hit ok to continue the flight.

I didn't need more fuel I was trying to dump fuel from yet another annoying over projection on plan.

Eastern is safe on the ground at SPLP but awaits a decision from the committee before it will proceed with the next leg.

The Flight Engineer of EAL flight 541 has been placed "out of service" pending termination based on the committee's decision.

Landing weight= 77622.0 lbs

Fuel used= 7894.2 lbs

Flight time= 02:43:24

Moses03
June 23rd, 2009, 09:50
Half the battle with the L-049A is the fuel management. That could just be me though.

Reggie is our expert Duenna "blackbox" decoder. Committe will get back to you ASAP.

salt_air
June 23rd, 2009, 11:10
Half the battle with the L-049A is the fuel management. That could just be me though.

Reggie is our expert Duenna "blackbox" decoder. Committe will get back to you ASAP.

You're right, It's GPH factor is extremely sensitive to changes in prop, mixture, throttle and even cowl flap settings.

I've been too conservative on each flight. Consequence has been a fuel dump or route change to burn more off. Not gonna win any medals for fuel economy, but that's not indicative of the planes design, just my lack of being able to manage. Goes against prudence to consider using reserves in the very begining of a plan.

Appreciate the quick response.

Plenty of logs for similar dispatches to use as comparison or just the math on that trip itself.

salt_air
June 24th, 2009, 04:12
Note. We hear reports from Miami of an unofficial reprimand from President Eddie Rickenbacker of Eastern Air Lines. Pilot cited for poor fuel management.

The Committee.

Let's make this official,,,,after having a nightmare where the rest of the crew and myself were hanging from trees being handled quite like pinatas by none other than the "Boss" himself, I awoke to his voice.

Mr. Rickenbacker himself had apparently been on board the aircraft for the entire flight. Not disguised, but let's say incognito. You see eventhough Eastern had choosen their top crew for this expedition, the "Boss" knew us from the war and figured he'd better tag along just in case.

After a fifteen minute long up in the face toe to toe rant on company proceedures and race rules he proceeds to tell us what he thinks should be done about it.

salt_air: Whew, No Sir....that won't happen again!

"Boss": Okay, but just so you don't forget, I'll fly the next leg, the stewardess, who has done more work than the rest of the crew put togther will have the day off to sit as a first class passenger while you sir (that would be me) will act as steward for the flight.

So the crew makes the ordered assignment changes for the day and readies the "Connie" for the next leg..........

salt_air
June 25th, 2009, 03:20
Teletype recieved early yesterday caused a delay in the teams departure for Bolivia. Also caused a change in the crew assignments and has the the original crew back in place.

It appears Mr. Rickenbacker's interests were diverted towards Europe. So with that we find suitable connections and send him off on his way.

salt_air now finishes all of the pre-flight checks outside the aircraft and proceeds to the cockpit whistling a tune that sounds strickingly like tune made famous by Gene Autry known as 'Back in the Saddle Again".

With nods from the First Officer and Flight Engineer the announcement is made to seat the passengers.

EAL 541 taxis to RWY 19 for take off to Bolivia.

Hazy skies on the ground and no wind.

SPLP-SLLP

TOW= 85000 lbs

Payload= 19940 lbs

salt_air
June 25th, 2009, 05:37
Safe landing in La Paz, Bolivia. Glad to see such a nice long runway after a scenic but not very relaxing morning flight through the mountains.

After more than thirty minutes of hard climbing, you look outside the window to see the ground only a few hundred feet below. Very strange, and out the windscreens you're still looking to see if you're going to make it over the top of what mountains are left ahead. Sure enough there was a slight adjustment (swerve) "S" turn that was necessary to play it safe.

{NOTE} You know you're getting too close to the ground here when you look out the window to see folks in their very colorful loin cloths and "skyscraper" style headgear bowing at the waist with both hands raised high up over their heads as you pass by,,,,,so close that you can count all three of their remaining teeth each time they raise up smiling from the previously "bent over at the waist-touching the ground" position.

Once a safe cruise was established at FL 210 the next hurdle was that of not having NDB's for over an hour, nearly three hundred miles. Had to take the assumed heading needed to get close and I flew a zig-zag (SAR) style across that heading, like making sweeps, hoping the timing would have the last sweep headed toward La Paz. That also afforded glimses of smaller airports with no NAV-AIDS, but still a nice confirmation of position. Also lucky to have the advantage of Lake Titicaca, a huge body of water easily seen all the way in to the airport (SLLP). Map shows that we just needed to stay along the west side of the lake till near the southern end then guess at where to turn east towards La Paz. Lucky as well to have the NDB at La Paz sporting a 113 NM range to pull everything in line just before sighting the runway.

This would have been a treacherous and probably unsuccessful flight in total darkness or near zero visibility.

Glad to be on the ground again and safe. We'll be taking a break and making some adjustments before the next leg.

Landing weight= 77674.4 lbs

Fuel used= 7269.4 lbs

salt_air
June 26th, 2009, 02:49
EAL Flight 541 is headed to Santiago, Chile.

This will be our wildcard leg.

TOW= 88199

Payload= 19940

Hope we're havin' a good day.....:wavey:

salt_air
June 26th, 2009, 03:46
Thought about bustin' this leg up into two, but it's just too tempting to go for Santiago. Plus we are out here to have fun and the "Connie" needs to stretch a little bit. SLLP-SCAF-SCTI would have been a safe bet,,,oh well.

This will be Dead Reckoning at it's best with best being easiest or having the most references to call on. Loss of visibilty for long periods will be a disaster, but I'm not looking for those conditions up here at FL220.

{Note} Hard to type with fingers crossed.

Basically should be running across the ridge of the Andes with visual of the Pacific on the other side. Getting lost won't be a problem, but I'll need to keep as straight a flight path as I can due to only having around 70 NM's of "play" on the total distance limit.

There are NDB's along the coast that won't help with direction although that's not really a problem, they will let me know if I'm too close to the shoreline. Most of this won't make a lot of sense unless you're looking at a map of S. America. Weird to tune in a NDB and not want to "hear" from it.

First confirmation is still about half an hour away with a visual at Coposa (SCKP), then some lakes again, then that's about it untill I (hopefully) pick up the NDB's around Santiago.

Headwinds now so I probabaly won't be dumping any fuel. I'll take measurments at Coposa and then at half the remaining distance. The only real "bail-out" point would be out of the way at Mendoza (SAME). I'm going to be reluctant to make that decision unless there's no hope of getting all the way in.

salt_air
June 26th, 2009, 05:01
Under the provisions of the rules set forth by the Rules Committee I declare this flight cancelled due to family issues.

I'll need to leave and do not for see getting back untill later in the day maybe tonight.

Nothing too serious, just needs my attention.

Good Day to All,

salt_air
June 26th, 2009, 14:05
Must have been dreamin' to think I would be left alone for four or five hours so I could fly. Don't remember ever having that scenario play out when I planned for it to happen.

I suppose we all live in hope even if we die in despair. Meanwhile....:running:

I'm not going to attemp a long leg right now. The "Connie" will have to wait for the trip back to the states when I'll see just how far it will go on a tank full or should I say four tanks full.

EAL flight 541 continues with a hop to Antofagasta.

SLLP-SCFA

TOW= 82800

Payload= 19940

salt_air
June 26th, 2009, 16:12
Safe landing at SCFA

Visibility poor on approach (sounds like a broken record), btu the rest of the trip had excellent visibility with parly cloudy skies. Winds changed direction and speed a little too often for comfort so we took a little bit slower cruise just in case a big tailwind came up and pushed us into overspeed.

Landing weight = 77648.8 lbs

Fuel used= 5093.7 lbs

Flight time = 02:03:07

jt_dub
June 26th, 2009, 17:59
Glad to see you pushing south.

I've flown RTRW baton legs into Antofagasta in two races at night and both times the visibility was poor. Must be fog from the Pacific.

salt_air
June 27th, 2009, 08:49
Glad to see you pushing south.

I've flown RTRW baton legs into Antofagasta in two races at night and both times the visibility was poor. Must be fog from the Pacific.

Yeah, and unless your real familiar with the terrain there, you could easily get into trouble with an straight in approach from the north.

BTW: Congrats on finishing in one piece. Looks like you did a super job!

:guinness: :guinness: { never could drink just one }

salt_air
June 27th, 2009, 10:51
Journey is getting nearer to the end and the crew is getting a bit of a pep in their step,,,,I thought it was our diet for the last few days, but it may be genuine excitement.

Pushing further southward along the coast and then turning towards the foothills of the Andes to Santiago. This will leave only one more flight untill we arrive at Buenos Aires.

Hope the good luck we've enjoyed stays with us to the finish.

Weather looks good. 9 kt winds out of the west and hazy skies that should clear through climb out to FL 180. Runnin' along the beach and ample NDB's although this one we could get by with just a compass and a watch.

EAL 541 departing Antofagasta for Santiago.

SCFA-SCTI

TOW= 83796 lbs

Payload= 19940 lbs

salt_air
June 27th, 2009, 13:10
EAL flight 541 has suffered a mid-air crash while the pilot was in the back of the plane......good thing I was sittin' down or I'd have soiled myself.

Looks like overspeed on descent not sure, just know I returned to see a text file and map instead of the simulator running.

The Connie is back at Antofagasta.

We'll take off again after I go outside to the driveway to retrieve my chair and repair the window I just threw it out of.

RedGreen
June 27th, 2009, 20:10
Hope the good luck we've enjoyed stays with us to the finish.

Thou hast jinxed thyself.... :isadizzy:

salt_air
June 28th, 2009, 03:39
Thou hast jinxed thyself.... :isadizzy:

Yup,,,,shoulda knocked on wood or something.........

salt_air
June 28th, 2009, 03:48
Let's try it again. :running:

EAL 541 To Santiago, Chile.

SCFA-SCTI

TOW= 83400

Payload= 19940

salt_air
June 28th, 2009, 06:12
Well,,,,,,finally safe and sound at Santiago after a near perfect flight. Finally got here, finally used up some of the reserve fuel dumping zero pounds (a first), finally had the visibility change on turn to final from blizzard conditions to clear (that's scary).

Don't know yet what's on tap at the "waterin' hole" across from the airport, but I'm about to find out.

Landing weight= 77185.3 lbs

Fuel used= 6159.8 lbs

Penalty time= 02.0 hrs
(carry from cancelled flight on previous attemp post #62)

salt_air
June 28th, 2009, 13:05
Team Eastern, flight 541, sits poised on the ramp in Santiago, Chile ready to make it's last flight into Buenos Aires, Argentina.

All loaded up with passengers, cargo, and fuel, ready to go.....:running:

SCTI-SAEZ

TOW= x

Payload= 19940 lbs

salt_air
June 28th, 2009, 15:40
EAL flight 541 is down and safe at SAEZ.

Landing weight= 76687.2 lbs

Fuel used= 6846.7 lbs

No Penalty time

Had to do a little bit of manuvering to get across the Andes as SCTI sits kinda close. That technically had me lost for a spell where I had to use orientation to the moutains to come up with a general direction that might put me back on the intended flight path. Didn't miss by too awful much, had to use a beacon that was a little out of the way but got me back on course. Nice ride across, but the usual poor visibility and strong winds all the way to landing.

What a journey, what a relief, what a great event!

Thanks to everyone on the committe, all the participants for there support and interest and to all the guys at SOH for hosting this really good time.

Warm regards to All,

RedGreen
June 28th, 2009, 16:46
Congratulations on finishing the journey. :applause:

MM
June 28th, 2009, 18:09
Well done! Welcome to the City.

Dangerousdave26
June 28th, 2009, 18:23
Good Job