PDA

View Full Version : Installed CFS2 yesterday; already screwed it up...

Navy Chief
October 17th, 2008, 13:16
As is usually the case, I tend to move too quickly to install aircraft, scenery, effects, etc..., and today was no exception.

Thanks to all the tips I received, I downloaded a BUNCH of addons for CFS2, and this afternoon I went about installing a lot of them.

All seemed to go fairly well, although several of the aircraft, (even though I thought I installed them correctly) did not show up on the available aircraft list.

I had been at it for almost two hours, and then the dreaded failure screen.

Oh well, at this point it would be easier I suppose to uninstall the entire thing and reinstall.

NC

bearcat241
October 17th, 2008, 13:30
Check all panel and sound aliases first, just like in FS9. Make sure every a/c installed has its own complete sound and panel files, or is aliased to another one in the hangar which does.

OBIO
October 17th, 2008, 13:41
NavyChief

Most of the jets available for download for CFS2 are aliased to the Lear45...which is not included in CFS2. Download the jet sound pack I uploaded, create a folder in the AIrcraft folder, name it Jear45, inside that create a Sound folder and place the sound files and sound.cfg file from the jet sound pack inside that. This will clear up most of the jets not showing up.

Some jets do not come with panels (very few of the older Alpha Sim freeware come with panel images, just blanks and panel config files). I have uploaded a pile of panels for the Alpha Sim planes....I think I have all the jets covered for sure, and a good majority of the prop planes.

When added planes, they also need to be added to the Quick Combat list using a program called Jonesoft (something like that). I have never had any luck using it..so hopefully someone will chime in on how to properly add planes to the QC list to avoid the dreaded "Database is either missing or corrrupt. You may need to reinstall some files" error.

OBIO

Navy Chief
October 17th, 2008, 13:58
Thanks for your tips, but it'll be easier/quicker for me right now to uninstall/reinstall.

However, once I am back to the basic install, I will take things slower and more carefully.

Well, at least that sounded good!!!

NC

miamieagle
October 17th, 2008, 14:02
Its obious that you did not read my post. This was my advice!

I recommend for you not to go crazy and add to many addon at the same time. This may corrupt the program. If Its AC you want to add only three or four at the most at any one time and if its you want to add new scenery only one at a time.I also recommmend for you to create a backup CFS2 install just in case anything goes wrong.

Welcome to the forum and this wonderful Hobby where people are friendly and more than willing to help each other.

Watch your six!:ernae:
There is also a limit of 85 to 95 planes per Hangar.In other words you can only install or have 85 tp 95 planes in the Aircraft folder other wise the program will become corrupted.

bearcat241
October 17th, 2008, 14:13
One more thing Chief...on the subject of sound, be advised that every soundpack you are currently using in your extensive FS9 install is completely compatible with CFS2, so don't be shy about replacing any CFS2 sound packs with FS9 sounds if better.

Panels are a different animal. Fs9 panel bmps are good for CFS2, but the gauges aren't always. FS9 uses a lot of cab gauges as i'm sure you know. These aren't use-able in CFS2. So there might be occasions when you want to replace a CFS2 panel with something you have in FS9. You'll need to replace both 2D and 3D VC gauges with CfgEdit or FS Panel Studio.

Dirtman
October 17th, 2008, 14:14
Yo NavyChief;

One other thing is that you should install new stuff S-L-O-W-L-Y

Throw in a couple of planes, fire up the sim & take um for a quick "test-drive".
If the planes don't show, look at the sound & panel folders like Obi & BC said.

Jets need the "CFS2 Lear45 Dummy FS Converter" to display in CFS2
Find it here: http://www.simviation.com/cfs2misc1.htm
- it's the 5th item from the top

But don't get discouraged, yer just on the learning curve that we all have experienced in the beginning.

Also: Sometimes the sim will gag & puke if ya try to shove in too much - too fast.....
(kinda like Collin's girlfriend .:redf:.)

:costumes: :costumes: :costumes:

bearcat241
October 17th, 2008, 14:15
:costumes:

Hern07
October 17th, 2008, 14:33
Like Dirtman, Miamieagle and some others have said. Take it easy and add them one at a time. If you have a problem, stop right there, resolve it and go to the next one. The same holds true for scenery, effects, etc. It will be easier to get help if you're dealing with a specific problem with specific symptoms. Good Luck.

Navy Chief
October 17th, 2008, 14:34
Thanks Bearcat and Dirtman,

Bearcat, I did read your post which advised me to go slowly, make backups, etc....., but as always, I chose to just dive into the mess with reckless abandon. But I thank you for the warnings!

Thanks Dirtman, for the tip on the Lear 45 install file from Simviation. Got it.

NC

Dirtman
October 17th, 2008, 14:45
Yer Very Welcome NC; :wavey:

One thing I forgot to tell you .....

If you have a re-occurring problem that you just can't seem to solve.

Try the SOH CFS2 Forum Cure .... instructional video below .... and drink heavily.

Buddha13
October 17th, 2008, 15:40
Hi all,
Do not forget the 100 a/c bug.If you install more than 100 a/c or there about.You will get a failure warning when you try to fly.Just click through this warning and the second warning and it will then work normally.

Buddha13

Collin
October 17th, 2008, 16:24
(kinda like Collin's girlfriend .:redf:.)

Which one?:d

C

Dirtman
October 17th, 2008, 17:18
Which one?:d

C

ALL OF THEM!!!

Pips
October 17th, 2008, 20:54
Just a quick question if I may (I too have been away from CFS2 for ages, and am in the process of re-installing it).

Are te 1% aircraft still available for CFS2 - and if so where? Or have they been superceded by others eg B-24 guy? Cheers :kilroy:

Corsair Freak
October 17th, 2008, 20:58
Hi Pips,

They're over at Netwings now: http://www.netwings.org/library/Avhistory_CFS2_Aircraft/

bearcat241
October 17th, 2008, 22:07
And here>>>http://avhistory.org/communityserver/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fcommunityserver%2fdefault. aspx

erufle
October 18th, 2008, 02:00
Collins dating midgets again? Or worse, tracheal obstructed patients?

Collin
October 18th, 2008, 03:08
Collins dating midgets again? Or worse, tracheal obstructed patients?

Of course....they're more ....hmmm....aahhhh....'bucks to the pound'.:costumes:

regards Collin:ernae:

miamieagle
October 18th, 2008, 05:58
Navychief it was not Bear who advice you to go slow. Bear is a very experience and knowlegable member. Listen to him.

But it was Miamieagle that gave you that advice.

Good luck!

Navy Chief
October 18th, 2008, 07:19
Yep MiamiEagle. Thanks. I learn slow. Hopefully will do better on second install. (But if history is any guide......:)

NC

miamieagle
October 18th, 2008, 07:50
Navychief its more than a pleaure to help you out!

As you can see how helpful our members are already.

Maybe I mention it before but I will say it again.

Welcome to forum!:ernae:

miamieagle
October 18th, 2008, 07:55
I know you know how to install AC already.

But in case I will give this tips!

HOW TO INSTALL THIRD PARTY PLANES INTO CFS2

This post will be dedicated for those who are having problems in installing AC into CFS2.

Installing AC into CFS2 is real easy once you have learn what to look for and how this program works.

The first thing I recommend is for you to get familiar with the inner working of CFS2.

Go to: Mycomputer C/Local Disk(Chttp://www.simviation.com/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif/Program
files/Microsoft Games/Combat Flight Simulator 2

Get familiar the all the its folder the names of the files before you start to down loading anything.

Now find the Website you want to down load your new plane from.

You can start by browsing through this post. It has many Website dedicated to the improvement of CFS2 in it.

1.http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=cfs2;action=display;num=11... (http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=cfs2;action=display;num=1117604819)

Lets start with the CFS2 section dedicated to AC in this Wedsite.

2.http://www.simviation.com/cfs2aircraft1.htm (http://www.simviation.com/cfs2aircraft1.htm)

There are many more Websites with AC for CFS2 as well.

The next thing for you to do is to down load the new third party plane into a New folder created by you. You place this folder any where you like. You can call it New AC if you want or give it any name you like. Now you go to your Web site that you want to down load the new AC. Down load it to this new AC folder or directly load it to the AC folder.The AC forlder is call AIRCRAFT.

You need to get familiair with the content of the AC and what is needed to make it work properly.

Every AC has this basic folders inside their respective AC folder. I picked the A6M2_ZERO as example:

1.MODEL: the configuration of the AC.

2.PANEL:The panel and its working

3.SOUND: Sound of the AC.

4.TEXTURE: The texture of the AC.

they also have this basic files.

aircraft CFG: It give the AC its Identification and name within the CFS2 program. It also has some other basic information.

a6m2_zero DP: Damage properties and weapons points and load.

a6m2_zero AIR file: its Arial abilities. In other words how this plane should fly according to its developers.

a6m2_zero CDP : This files keeps a record of the AC previous files. Now this is replicated every time you fly with this AC. You can and should deleted it every time you add somthings new like weapons to the AC. Do not worry it will replicate itself evey time Automaticaly. If you do not deleted it the new weapons or other install may not show up.

Now down load your new AC in to the folder you chose by routing it through Save and not Open option.

Go inside the new AC folder and look for the AC folder and see if it has the all of its proper folder and files. Some times you may find additional folder within the AC folders and some times the AC is insde the folder with the same name. You always need to go inside the AC folder to make sure if the AC is inside of it.

If it has additional folders you need to copy and paste them to their respective folder to enable the AC to show and fly properly in this program.

After you have done that you need to go inside the new install Aircraft folder and see if in has additional folder you need to install. Sometimes within the Aircraft folder there are additional folder that need to be install. Like gauges and weapons. If its gauges all you need to is to copy the content inside the Gauge folder and copy them into the main gauges folder. You need to make the to do same steps with any aditional folder you might find inside the Aircraft folder.

If you need to add new weapons you need to go inside the SCENEDB folder and look for a folder call weapons. Go inside of it and you will find two folders call scenery and texure. Copy and the new weapons in the appropiate folder.

This way your new addon plane will show up in the game. Most planes doe are install ready. In other words all you need is to install them and they will show up in the Sim.

make sure they have the appropiate content inside of them. The most common missing element is no sound inside the Sound folder. Thats easy to fix. All you is get a new sound from another plane of the same model with sounds and copy and paste inside the new planes sound folder.

Now you should be able to fly the legandary Wildcats and Hellcats plus the Avengers and SBD and sink enemy carriers like out for fathers had to do in World war two.

If you take them to the next level you feel the thrill of shooting down a Zeros or been shot down by one. You will feel the danger of Naval arial combat during that Era. Believe it or not the Pacific Arial war was a lot tougher than what we have been told.

I also recommend you scroll through this post. It may help improve your enjoyment of this Sim:

1.http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=cfs2;action=display;num=11... (http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=cfs2;action=display;num=1117604819)

How to add planes into CFS2 by Jaxons:

2.http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/CFS2_Tips.html (http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/CFS2_Tips.html)

By Hagar:
BGL files go in CFS2\SCENEDB\weapons\scenery
BMP textures in CFS2\SCENEDB\weapons\texture
& DP files in CFS2\OBJECTS_DP

With this c

I also recommend you learn how to Build missions and campaings. Thats where this Sim really rocks. Look for Coyotes Mission Builder Ttorial:

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb2.cgi?section=cfs&file=cc_handbook.zip (http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb2.cgi?section=cfs&file=cc_handbook.zip)

You may ask:what is the MODEL_DBG file that is inside the stock AC folder.

I would not worry about it. The addon planes do not need this folder to be able to work properly in this Sim.

I recommend you install only three to four AC at any one time for them to show up in the Sim.

Thre is also a limitation of one 90 to 100 planes per Hangar. Hangar it simply means inside the AIRCRAFT folder.

There is a utility that will enable you to install a lot more planes per install.

With this program you can install more than one thousand planes. Its call AC man:

http://fly.to/mwgfx (http://fly.to/mwgfx)

You need to look for the CFS2 AC utlilities section. Its real easy to install and use. this utility will make it possible for the user to have as many as eighteen Hangars within one install. You can use it in different installs. This will allow you to have unlimited amount of AC to fly with in this program.

How to install new texure so will show up to the Mission Builder. That real easy. All you need to do is to install the new texutes in to the AC Texure folder. If you want to use it as new texure in a new plane like for example you want the stock plane with the new texute to show up as a addon in the Mission Builder. All you need to do is to create a new AC folder. Here I will explain it in a step by step process.

1.Go inside ADDON folder

2.Create a new folder

3.Give the new folder the AC name plus the new texure name.

4.Copy and paste the content of the original plane inside the AIRCRAFT you wanted to chage the texure from into the new AC folder foder inside the ADDDON folder.

5.Go and copy and paste the new TEXURE call kamuri into the texure folder.

6.Go inside the new AC folder and look for the file call CFG and open it up with your notepad.

[fltsim.0]
title=A6M2 Zero
sim=A6M2_Zero
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=
KB_checklists=a6m2_zero_check

Change the title name form A6M2 Zero to A6M2 Zero Kamuri.

[fltsim.0]
title=A6M2 Zero kamuri
sim=A6M2_Zero
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=
KB_checklists=a6m2_zero_check

Now you have a new AC that will show up as a new AC with a different TEXURE.

7. Now cut the new plane and paste it inside the AIRCRAFT Folder.

Thats it!

I hope I have been helpful

If you have any question do not hesitate and come back to this forum and I and other members will more than thrill to help you out.:ernae:

Hern07
October 18th, 2008, 11:32
Hey Chiefy, let us know if it works better or if you need any more help. :ernae:

Navy Chief
October 18th, 2008, 13:27
Ok, need more help. I downloaded the Lear45 file to install in CFS2, so my jets will show up. What I don't understand is there is only one directory in the Lear45 file, which is a Sound Directory, yet it says to put a Lear45 directory into the CFS2 Aircraft Directory. I can easily create a Lear45 aircraft directory first, but is that what I am supposed to do?

Waiting for answer!!

NC

Buddha13
October 18th, 2008, 14:20
Hi Navychief,
The lear directory is only there for your a/c to alias sound from.You just put it in your aircraft folder.So it looks like this
Combat Flight Simulator 2/aircraft/lear/sound
Infact you could call it anything you liked as long as the sound cfg file in the jet gives the same address.

Buddha13

erufle
October 18th, 2008, 14:24
Yes, that's all that is needed. You are not going to fly the Lear. It exists for the sole purpose of aliasing the sound file to it.

If you open up the sound.cfg file of some jets, which is found inside of the sound folder, with notepad you will see that some of them read:

[fltsim]
alias=lear45/sound

This means that when the plane loads, cfs2 will use whatever sound file it finds inside of the Lear folder. In fact, you can change the alias to whatever aircraft you want and it will use that sound file. For instance, I have an F7U-3 in my aircraft folder. To make any jet sound like my F7U-3 I just place a sound.cfg file in its sound folder that reads:

[fltsim]
alias=F7U-3/sound

Navy Chief
October 18th, 2008, 14:47
Thanks for the answer!

Now then, I have more questions. Here goes:

1.) I downloaded and installed Ickie's B-17 package. None are showing up on the aircraft list, and subsequently will not load; BUT I installed a different B-17 called "Ack Ack Annie". It works just fine. No idea what's the difference. Obviously something not installed correctly.

2.) I assigned a joystick button for, "Cycle Ordnance Selection". It works, however I do NOT get a screen notification for it.

3.) Is there a Parking Brake on/off assignment available, or possibly a workaround?

4.) I downloaded/installed the USS Stennis, but how do I find it to select as a location?

How's that for starters?

Thanks

NC

Buddha13
October 18th, 2008, 15:42
Hi Navychief,
Answers to your questions,
1/This is a no go topic here.
2/The B17 package.You did download the CFS2 version.Not the FS9 version.Also it will be under the FDG-2 prefix.Not Boeing in the a/c list.
Also make sure when it is installed it has not loaded into an extra folder like this,
aircraft/fdg-2 b17/fdg-2 b17/.
3/While flying a mission click on alt to bring up the task bar.Click on views and put a next to tick status messages.
4/ctrl and . is for parking brake.Click the brake button to turn it off again.
5/This depends if you have installed it as scenery or as a flyable ship.
To find it as scenery you go to Free flight/Start Location/Advanced Goto then search.It should appear in the results box.click on it to load it.
The other way would be to make a mission that would take you straight to it.
Hope this helps,

Buddha13

Navy Chief
October 19th, 2008, 03:49
Thanks for your answers, Buddha. I did edit my original msg to remove the "nogo" topic. After so many years you'd think I'd remember that rule. Guess it's just senility creeping in on me.

NC

Warhawk1130
October 20th, 2008, 04:40
Thanks Bearcat and Dirtman,

Bearcat, I did read your post which advised me to go slowly, make backups, etc....., but as always, I chose to just dive into the mess with reckless abandon. But I thank you for the warnings!

Thanks Dirtman, for the tip on the Lear 45 install file from Simviation. Got it.

NC

Pete, You following me around, again? LOL

Since youre doing jets, the best one I have seen so far is the RAZBAM A-4. Nice flight model/2d/3d cockpit.

AZ1