PDA

View Full Version : Want modern fighters for a budget price....

Warrant
June 11th, 2009, 10:47
....try this: http://www.abacuspub.com/default_fs.html

Look for the International Fighters package a bit lower on the page.

I purchased the lot for less then $25,- which is a bargain for the amount of planes.

It includes a SU-33, Mig-29 (basic), Mirage 2000, F-35, AS565 Panther, F-111, EF2000, F-117, F-15E and more.

Most of the models are not that bad at all. The SU-33 has a quite decent DVC (being currently the only one for/in FSX to my best knowledge), though the AA-11 Archer's are yellow and a bit on the skinny side).

The price is compared to the product is very much in balance.

Nice fighters, don't expect to much of the armament (it is not Aerosoft-quality), but the aircraft are really nice (and no prop/rotor issues in FSX-SP2).

The price on the page is a bit higher compared to what they charge once you check out. There is a download discount.

Pending replies i might up screenshots later.

IanP
June 11th, 2009, 10:50
They're all exceptionally average FS9 ports apart from the AS565 Panther helicopter (since when has that been a fighter?!) and the Osprey. I'm afraid I was highly unimpressed with the package, which I received as an unsolicited review copy, and could only recommend it to someone desperate for something it contains... Sorry! :monkies:

Warrant
June 11th, 2009, 11:03
They're all exceptionally average FS9 ports apart from the AS565 Panther helicopter (since when has that been a fighter?!) and the Osprey. I'm afraid I was highly unimpressed with the package, which I received as an unsolicited review copy, and could only recommend it to someone desperate for something it contains... Sorry! :monkies:

No need to apologize :mixedsmi:
Just want to make people aware of the product. It still has a good amount of fighters and yes, a helo and a tilt rotor (thank you :kilroy:), in there.
I must have missed the Su-33 for FS9 (other then the AS one) then. I have that one ported over (still with throttle problems, b.t.w.), but it is definitely not the same as this one.

IMHO this package offers a nice bunch of planes for a budget price, with some dvc equipped planes not available for FSX as freeware.

Again, it's just a H/U. :wavey:

piperarcherpilot
June 11th, 2009, 11:13
Hmm...just for the heck of it I checked the screenshots and description on Abacus' web site and like Ian, I am highly unimpressed with what I saw. Abacus has always filled the niche for very low quality models, but they DO have a unique characteristic in that you do get a lot of different airplanes for your dollars...it would just be a waste of my money because I'd never install it - but I'm not everyone. I hear what you're saying, Warrent, and its quite a valid argument for some people obviously. However, its impossible to compare aerosoft products with abacus products. They're in two totally different leagues marketed toward totally different desires (just re-enforcing the obvious, obviously ;))

Warrant
June 11th, 2009, 11:25
However, its impossible to compare aerosoft products with abacus products. They're in two totally different leagues marketed toward totally different desires.

Thanks for your two cents, Piperarcherpilot; it is Warrant. not Warrent b.t.w.

I don't believe i compared it to Aerosoft, just said "it is not Aerosoft-quality".:kilroy:

Just riding the SU-33, and it is really a nice bird. Still have to take it to the edge, but she already is a nice addon.

I'll keep you people posted with my findings on the rest of the birds.

Sascha66
June 11th, 2009, 11:39
I have to agree with IanP and piperarcherpilot - I bought an Abacus Product for FS2004. Flight Deck 5, to be precise. It was the single worst FS addon I ever bought! I immediately returned it to the store and exchanged it for another product.

Usually you will find the same or similar aircraft as freeware in a much better quality - no point in getting any Abacus addon in my opinion.

harleyman
June 11th, 2009, 12:17
Guys and Gals..

Warrant is just giving a heads up for those that may be intrested....

Thanks Warrant...........:ernae:

IanP
June 11th, 2009, 12:17
I actually quite like Military Helicopters 2 - they're not brilliant, certainly no Nemeth or Aerosoft Seahawk, but they're quite usable and the little Gazelle comes out quite frequently on my system. The main problem I have with International Fighters is that all but the helo and tilt-rotor are ported, yet the product is advertised exactly the same as MH2, which is dual install FS9 native/FSX native.

I spent about half an hour in each aircraft before writing IF off - looking around the interior and exterior of each model and then test flying them. If you really want a specific aircraft, as Warrant seems to with the Su-33, then the package has value - especially at the price. It certainly brings in products that otherwise would be hard to find in an FSX compatible package (Saab Viggen, Su-33, F-111) but the Alphasim Osprey, particularly with Rob B's hover gauge, is vastly better than the one included here and the other aircraft are about the quality of FS9 freeware. The AS565 does have a tiny amount of system depth (from Antii Pankonnen's FS2002/2004 Dauphin, if I recognise it correctly) but the majority of the gauges are default or only have default functionality.

I'd say the product I have used least is also an Abacus product, but in my case it was WW2 Carrier Operations. That was awful. Flight Deck 4 I think I had, with the FSX update and that at the time was OK - nothing special.

piperarcherpilot
June 11th, 2009, 12:36
No hard feelings, Warrant (sorry about the misspelling!). I knew what you meant by the Aerosoft reference. And I do believe your heads up is a good thing. I think most of us would agree that Abacus strives for quantity over quality, which is not necessarily a bad thing, when we can put our money into what we want to. They do not hide what they're selling; they post screenshots for all to see before purchase. Therefore, i've got no problem with Abacus. I just wouldnt buy it, or use it if it were freeware. Just my opinion, thats all - and I am only trying to represent my findings with their products as well. Ian summed up what I intended by my post - the software I've used from Abacus is simply nothing special.

So, back on topic - thanks for the H.U. Warrant!

Warrant
June 11th, 2009, 12:45
Guys and Gals..

Warrant is just giving a heads up for those that may be intrested....

Thanks Warrant...........:ernae:

Thanks and you're welcome:icon29:

IanP, You are absolutely correct. However, this package offers a nice variety of planes with some features not found in freeware equivalents for a low budget price.

:wavey:

Henry
June 11th, 2009, 12:48
Thanks and you're welcome:icon29:

IanP, You are absolutely correct. However, this package offers a nice variety of planes with some features not found in freeware equivalents for a low budget price.

:wavey:
But there isnt a mossie in it:173go1:
LOL
actually not my kind of aircraft
but im sure there are a few people who would be interested
Thanks
H

Warrant
June 11th, 2009, 13:23
Though i suspect the F-35 in this package seems to be made of wood, nope, no Mossie. Sorry Henry :d:d:d

Nice experiment; i swapped the AB IF Su-33 air file with the AS SU-33 i ported over a while ago. Guess what... The bird now flies like sunshine. No more issues with throttle settings limited to min or max only. the rest of the bird seems to hold great as well. It's great to finally being able to fly these birds normally again.

The AB IF Flanker flies like sunshine as well.

More info about the AB IF package later.....

Hanimichal
June 11th, 2009, 14:12
And the TailHook in SU-33 work without problem?

I miss this plane in FSX
I dont know why everyone always makes the same F-14, F16 and F18
but left such a fabulous su-33 to off

Su-33 is navy version but its like su-35 in air dinamics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yDfIyNeAtE
look in 0.57 what is do:jawdrop:

Warrant
June 11th, 2009, 14:22
And the TailHook in SU-33 work without problem?

I miss this plane in FSX
I dont know why everyone always makes the same F-14, F16 and F18
but left such a fabulous su-33 to off

Su-33 is navy version but its like su-35 in air dinamics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yDfIyNeAtE
look in 0.57 what is do:jawdrop:

Tail hook works!

Don't know why developers pay little attention to the Russian birds....they should!

The SU-30 family and the Mig-29 SMT are highly on my whish-list :running:

Major_Spittle
June 11th, 2009, 14:38
I got Abacus Flight deck 4 ($40) for FSX before I knew Acceleration would be released and it filled a hole in my heart. I enjoyed being able to do something in FSX I couldn't before and following AI planes down to the deck.

So when Flight Deck 5 was release by Abacus I upgraded ($25 I think) but the product didn't work and was cheesey to the point that I just uninstalled it. Then the Boeing dreamliner was released ( $30 I think ) and I bought that, it was cheesey and I just uninstalled it. I got excited about their WWI dog fight thingy, but decided to give up one bad habit for new years. I quit Buying Abacus software, I still smoke, yet think I did the right thing. :icon_lol:

Seriously, I just have not been impressed by anything Abacus other than Flight Deck 4 which was uninstall the day I installed Acceleration. I have been Abacus free for about 2 years now but it cost me close to $100 to get that way. :ernae:

CG_1976
June 11th, 2009, 14:48
Abacus needs to here from you the users politely and within there niche market of FS add-ons. Its always great to see a developer offer low cost Add on's to those who say cant afford high priced Add on's. FS needs these kind for balance in our hobby. I beta tested the International fighters and there F-16, not a bad bang for your buck if your low on funds and Garry J Smith offers a Texture pack for sale I believe at Fs addons for a great low price. I have making mention to Abacus on how to improve the AS565 and they are looking to see what they can do. So please dont go bashing them as they have a very good market on low cost niche that is successful for those who cant afford high priced. Im thinkin fair and objective here, Remeber were all here for fun and friendship, learning.

FOO FIGHTER
July 16th, 2009, 14:51
I recently bought Flight Deck 5 at Fry's ($19.95). The only real negative thing I can say about it is the FM's are a little iffy and the AI carrier aircraft could be more detailed. There also was no mention of it being for SP1 on the box . . . (I have SP2, no Xceleration) but I would have gotten it anyway for the aircraft. I think the flyable models themselves are awesome! Very detailed and very animated (arrestor hook, wing fold, etc.). Had a blast flying the F-18's & E-2 for hours. I will probably buy more of their products.

Kavehpd
July 17th, 2009, 02:21
Abacus needs to here from you the users politely and within there niche market of FS add-ons. Its always great to see a developer offer low cost Add on's to those who say cant afford high priced Add on's. FS needs these kind for balance in our hobby. I beta tested the International fighters and there F-16, not a bad bang for your buck if your low on funds and Garry J Smith offers a Texture pack for sale I believe at Fs addons for a great low price. I have making mention to Abacus on how to improve the AS565 and they are looking to see what they can do. So please dont go bashing them as they have a very good market on low cost niche that is successful for those who cant afford high priced. Im thinkin fair and objective here, Remeber were all here for fun and friendship, learning.

I'm wondering what that niche market would be? FS8 recompiled for FS9 and ported over onto FSX?

If that is what you were referring to, they're going to need a catchy name for it. I stopped buying Abacus since their FS2000 Apache. And there was Antti's AS565 which I downloaded as a freeware from FlightSim a few months before it was released by Abacus. This too was some nine years ago. I have not seen a single improvement in Abacus products since then.

I'll rephrase that to be fair and balanced like FoxNews (!): I have not seen a single improvement in their promotional screen shots since FS2000.

That statement excludes stock photographs of real aircraft they use on their packages, obviously!:isadizzy:

Cag40Navy
July 17th, 2009, 05:07
Here's my view, the only 3 aircraft i will EVER use from AB is there S-3, C-2, and my fav E-2! i really want a E-1 and a E-2 A and B. otherwise, i think they need to really work on there aircraft alot more.