PDA

View Full Version : Spring Event Rules and Information II

MM
June 10th, 2009, 16:02
Here is a (very slightly) revised and expanded Spring Event for 2009.

We have listened to everyone's comments and suggestions and tried to accommodate your desires. Attached here are:

(a) a summary of the event, (b) the Evita Rules (v1.1), (c) Heavy Iron for Dummies, and (d) a spreadsheet with representative tests of the various aircraft capabilities.

The Summary is just that—and overview to provide some sense of the event. The Rules are much longer and detailed. (You will need to understand the Rules to participate in the event.) Heavy Iron for Dummies is meant as a primer on fuel planning and weigh management. The spreadsheet is for your own information—but be careful to understand that the tests are not optimized.

We aim to start the event after midnight local time on Saturday, June 13, 2009. You can sign up whenever you wish, even after the beginning of the event.

The official end is Argentina's Independence Day on July 9, 2009. (We shall surely grant reasonable extensions to pilots who need more time to complete the event. This is a soft deadline.)

The aim is for everyone to have fun. While there will be a "winner", the real value here is in exploring the early days of the global airlines.

Best from the 2009 Spring Event Team.
PRB, Taco, RFields, srgalahad, MM, Willy, Moses03

MM
June 10th, 2009, 16:03
Just a quick note about the small changes from the previous release of the rules.

Evita Rules v1.1

Changes

Added VOR at Natal for transoceanic flight. (This is a long-range radio beacon. No DME.)
Added special provisions for the A2A B377 which consumes Oil and ADI fluid. This weight loss should be declared by the pilot on each leg to insure that he is not charged that amount as fuel consumed.
Added possibility of pilots forming teams to fly a single aircraft over the route.

Clarifications

The Montreal-Buenos Aires routing has two main options (down the east and west coasts of South America).
Pilots do not need fly from their home country to the initial airport.
You do not have the complete Reserve Fuel Requirement on board while landing. You merely need to plan for the possibility of such.
The score depends on the Duenna's Flight Time. Thus, there is no additional cost to chopping up long legs into shorter ones.
Fuel dumping, while not forcefully banned, is discouraged as poor form.
The pilot needs to declare the payload on takeoff (not landing).
Pilot takeoff and landing announcements set out.
The payload is calculated as the mean declared and delivered payload averaged over all the legs.
The operational range bonus (ORB) is a one-time award given to each aircraft at the end of the event.

In addition, we have added the Heavy Iron for Dummies. This discussion lays out some suggestions, simplifications, examples, and details about fuel planning and weight management.

Best wishes from the 2009 Spring Event Team!

MM
June 10th, 2009, 16:16
The Illustrated Boy's Guide to the World's Fastest Airliners.

:cool:

teson1
June 11th, 2009, 01:44
Mike,
you guys in the event team are doing some serious and thouroughly well thought out stuff! :applause:
Excellent work, and thanks for the immense amount of time that must have gone into the preparation.
That event sounds like an insane amount of fun.

I'll try my best to have a go at it, even though currently it looks quite challenging: No Internet at home since 6 weeks, never flown anything larger than a DC3 - and that only one time in the final flight of the RTWR09 (I think the landing was quite memorable for the crew watching at MYEF), what's that NDB stuff?, ect...
But don't you love a challenge...
That's I love about these events - makes you get out of the box, try new stuff.

Again, fantastic work. Thanks a lot to everybody who set this up (and for allowing externals from the competition ;-) to participate)! :medals:

Gunter

salt_air
June 11th, 2009, 09:35
Mike,
you guys in the event team are doing some serious and thouroughly well thought out stuff! :applause:
Excellent work, and thanks for the immense amount of time that must have gone into the preparation.
That event sounds like an insane amount of fun.

I'll try my best to have a go at it, even though currently it looks quite challenging: No Internet at home since 6 weeks, never flown anything larger than a DC3 - and that only one time in the final flight of the RTWR09 (I think the landing was quite memorable for the crew watching at MYEF), what's that NDB stuff?, ect...
But don't you love a challenge...
That's I love about these events - makes you get out of the box, try new stuff.

Again, fantastic work. Thanks a lot to everybody who set this up (and for allowing externals from the competition ;-) to participate)! :medals:

Gunter

Alright Gunter,

Let's go,,,,get your external you-know-what registered and give me a shout if you'll need any help.

It's gonna be every bit a much fun as it sounds,,,,,gets even better when you start flying.

You can write here or the "other' forum or PM at either website and you should have my email addy as well.

Everybody here at SOH will help you too....and their a lot smarter than I am! Terrific bunch of guys!

We need to get some more folks off there external you-know-whats too!

See ya.........:running:

Willy
June 11th, 2009, 19:51
Gunter, most of what I know about aircraft navigation came from this website:

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/

Highmike
June 11th, 2009, 22:58
I'm stuggling to figure out how to isolate ADI and oil from my payload account on the Stratocruiser. Could one of the old hands give me a clue? It's not a big deal for me actually since I'm not that competative and will probably fly with considerably less than the max payload anyway! Just for the sake of elucidation.

jt_dub
June 12th, 2009, 03:49
Mike,

I am still a bit confused on the payload calculation :isadizzy: , but you do need the Oil & ADI consumed amount to get your correct fuel consumed. Here's a calculation I did on a test flight:

Highmike
June 12th, 2009, 04:38
Thanks Jeff.

I've been looking, but I can't see ADI or oil listed on the Fuel and Payload Manager which pops up with Shift + 4 right? I don't have the AccuSim expansion so maybe ADI and oil consumption is not modelled. In any case the only practical difference will be that ADI and oil are included in the cost of fuel, a cost about which I'm not going to quibble.

teson1
June 12th, 2009, 07:49
Thanks Austin,
I guess I'll need all the help I can get.
I'll open another thread as soon as I have a little more time.

And thanks Willy for a reminder on the navfltsim site, the chapter on NDB makes NDB navigation sound round really easy :jump:- now I just have to see where I end up. As a backup I also plan to use pilotage - if I start to see ice bears I'll turn south. :icon_lol:

buzzbee
June 12th, 2009, 08:15
Can someone explain the operational range bonus?

Operational Range. The sponsors award a bonus of 0.30 hours per 1,000 pounds of the aircraft's Maximum Fuel Capacity (per engine) as a measure of long-distance operational range. Note that this element is a feature of the aircraft itself and not under the pilots' control. (This one-time bonus is awarded at the end of the event.)

Not quite sure how to figure that.

Sorta complex for this fine arts major.

NS38th_Aristaeus
June 12th, 2009, 10:23
I need to ask a silly question.
Do we fly all three legs or just one?

Dangerousdave26
June 12th, 2009, 10:33
I need to ask a silly question.
Do we fly all three legs or just one?

Not silly at all.

You only need to choose one leg and fly it.

MM
June 12th, 2009, 10:52
Quickly.

Buzz. The Operational Range Bonus is just a single number that you subtract from your overall time. You can find the "ORB" number in the Aircraft Listing at the end of the Rules.

For example, the DC-6B CB-16 "ORB" is 2.22. Say you fly the distance in 26 hours and (after calculating the fuel costs and payload payoffs) you earn a score of 42.30 (hours). Then your final score is 42.30 – 2.22 = 40.08 (hours).

The "international" edition of the DC-6B, with its "CB-17" engines, by way of comparison, carries slightly more fuel for slightly more range, and yields a slightly higher Operational Range Bonus.

This Operational Range bonus is meant to give some credit for their long-distance capabilities to the larger, sometimes less efficient, "intercontinental" aircraft in what is mostly a "regional" airline test. (This feature balances the aircraft to make them all more equally competitive.)

Aristaeus. The event is designed for you to chose one of the routes. Given the expected flight time of around 25 hours, one route is probably enough for many pilots. (You may fly all three if you wish, of course.) Oops. Dave already answered your question.

Mainly, Welcome to the gang!

PRB
June 12th, 2009, 13:48
This is the Excel sheet I will use to keep track of all the numbers during this event. I made a "simple flight planner" on each racer's page, as a way to quickly get an idea on the fuel and payload numbers for each flight. if you want to mess with it, feel free!

Vicious
June 12th, 2009, 14:43
Hey MM,

Does the payload delivered include landing at approved airports that are not commercial centers?

Vicious
Team Avsim

PRB
June 12th, 2009, 14:49
Hi Vicious,

Yes, if you successfully deliver a payload, it counts towards your average. Even if at an un-approved airport, for that matter.

Moses03
June 12th, 2009, 19:28
FYI on NDB range. (I keep a sheet handly with these for quick reference)

Four different NDB types:

Compass Locator 15 NM range
MH 25 NM range
H 50 NM range
HH 75 NM range

Always good when you can find a HH NDB along your route.:)

Willy
June 14th, 2009, 18:03
Ba Da :bump:

Figured the rules need to stay on the first page