PDA

View Full Version : Two for Collin

Skipsan
June 9th, 2009, 08:43
Had this laying about for sometime, read the one "Steam Picket Boat" Bingo! Collin came to mined. :wiggle:
http://www.hmshood.com/crew/remember/picketboat.htm

And Collin you may remember this one. Shipmates check out the rigging on the girls protesting, ah bit different ya! Some great action footage of the Lewis gun firing AA. :jump:
http://www.usspanay.org/

Skipsan :kilroy:

Collin
June 9th, 2009, 11:15
Thanks Skip...why you should think of me in that age I'm not sure, but, I have it on good authority that the girls are from Dirtmans harem.

In my days as a 'snottie' you had to earn a Lifeboat Ticket, of course they weren't steam but diesel engine, and were manned by the qualified men from your own division.
These were used to run passengers and crew to and from shore if the docking facilities were poor or the water was too shallow. It was always fun trying to negotiate between the small craft trying to sell things alongside and if they wouldn't get out of the way you gently rammed them till they did. If this brought on some threats then a hose from the main deck would be aimed at them which normally calmed things down.

regards Collin:ernae:

PSULLYKEYS
June 9th, 2009, 14:32
Thanks Skip!:kilroy:

Skipsan
June 9th, 2009, 14:37
Collin I belive it was the vernacular in the Stem Picket page :wavey:

My bit of British Naval tradition: I was part of a shipping over ceremony on [ cant remember the ship ] mored in the Thames back in 1990 on one of those dull gray spring London days :icon_lol:

Skipsan :kilroy:

Dirtman
June 9th, 2009, 14:58
but, I have it on good authority that the girls are from Dirtmans harem.

But at least I've got a hair-um!

In my days as a 'snottie' you had to earn a Lifeboat Ticket, of course they weren't steam but diesel engine,

Now that's a crock! Sails had not even been invented yet ..... you had to row those boats back then!

......1338 1338 1338

fliger747
June 10th, 2009, 21:02
My only such experience was "In command" of a 26ft USN Motor Whaleboat. A far cry from a HMS Hood Steam launch, complete with stokers and all....

Collin
June 11th, 2009, 01:36
My only such experience was "In command" of a 26ft USN Motor Whaleboat. A far cry from a HMS Hood Steam launch, complete with stokers and all....

Don't sell yerself short mate,they can be a handfull if the engine conks out.

It was a tradition in the RN that when the Admiral was retiring or transfering to another command the last act of his Captains was to row him ashore, I expect many captains caught a crab and soaked the Admiral before he got there.:icon_lol:

regards Collin:ernae: