PDA

View Full Version : X-Plane....Yea, come take a look

gera
June 9th, 2009, 08:07
I was over in the XP forum and someone told me to ask those of you who have some interest in XP to come over and check some pics......so, check them out.....

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/scratchbuilt/Untitled-1.jpg

Itīs not a painting...its XP...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/scratchbuilt/sobreamazonas-dc3.jpg

XP is a nice enough Sim to captivate two days of my siming week....it use to get about two hours but once you start fooling around with it, you find that there is something worth while in it that am sure will get better and better to the point of eventually being competitive in the hobby.....anyways itīs like Ice Cream, the more flavors you can get the better for your taste buds!!!! ( by the way...The best Ice Cream in the world is made in Italy!!!!..yes sir!!!):ernae:

stiz
June 9th, 2009, 08:09
anyways itīs like Ice Cream, the more flavors you can get the better for your taste buds!!!!

however i dont like all flavours of ice cream :engel016:

gera
June 9th, 2009, 08:11
however i dont like all flavours of ice cream :engel016:

Choice is the Key!!!!....:jump:

Lionheart
June 9th, 2009, 09:08
Nice pics Gera.

Love the cloud shadows and reflective water.

Bill

Helldiver
June 9th, 2009, 09:16
I got a new verson of X-Plane but when you have to dig out the disk to run it, I can't be bothered. To look through a couple hundred disks, just to find one, is a big waste of time. They ought to find a work around if they want people to try it. It's like Flight Simulator, three generations ago.

gajit
June 9th, 2009, 09:27
Wow - great shots - gonna have to try it.

Major_Spittle
June 9th, 2009, 09:33
You should post the picture of the Red Plane, that is my favorite.

X-Plane does great screen shots and it is fun to chase the trains.

Bjoern
June 9th, 2009, 09:50
Too little autogen, no AI => no go.

gajit
June 9th, 2009, 09:57
You should post the picture of the Red Plane, that is my favorite.

X-Plane does great screen shots and it is fun to chase the trains.

Got any screenies?

krazycolin
June 9th, 2009, 09:57
If anyone wants to take a whack at putting any of our birds in there, let me know. We can talk. But I'm not doing it myself! The documentation is really hard to understand and you can't use max. Very sad.

kc.

Major_Spittle
June 9th, 2009, 10:14
Got any screenies?

It is too much trouble to post pics on here anymore, so I don't.

Major_Spittle
June 9th, 2009, 10:15
Too little autogen, no AI => no go.

Mega Autogen in my experience. Unless you are talking about airport buildings.

Major_Spittle
June 9th, 2009, 10:18
Got any screenies?

No, but This is the one of Gera's I was talking about.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/scratchbuilt/islas2.jpg

Naismith
June 9th, 2009, 10:52
Xplanes water is superior imo.

Used to be FSX was referred to as the dark side, we should use that for xplane now.

cheezyflier
June 9th, 2009, 11:10
the $60 buy-in turns me off

IanP
June 9th, 2009, 11:46
The sheer lack of reality in the visual environment turns me off and I always feel the aircraft are too simplified. There's a lot of graphical prettiness, but systems depth is non existent.

I understand from others that there are now aircraft available that are vast improvements over the default, so it may suit some people, but apart from the odd pure visual pleasure flight around somewhere with no airports (and too many balloons!), I'd have no use for it at all. I keep trying it, I keep uninstalling it.

It's a good sim - just not my cup of tea.

deimos256
June 9th, 2009, 12:46
i agree the water is vastly superior, i can run XP water full blown complete reflections yet if i tried that in FSX it would cripple my system and still not look believable, and yes i have scenery programs for FSX. Cloud shadows add more depth, as does the weather, however simplicity of systems and lack of seasons and barren airports keep me at a install it once n a while distance.

gera
June 9th, 2009, 14:31
I got a new verson of X-Plane but when you have to dig out the disk to run it, I can't be bothered. To look through a couple hundred disks, just to find one, is a big waste of time. They ought to find a work around if they want people to try it. It's like Flight Simulator, three generations ago.

You must be doing something wrong. Usa is automatic with the install disk, the other six dvdīs you install if you want to have the whole world and once installed you never touch them again...........sure, like I said in my post...Its is Not FSX nor does it have all the bells and whistles, not yet, but its moving along and today you can download many, many airports with all kinds of eyecandy as well as super detail scenery as addons. So its is getting populated slowly but surely......it is different thatīs all. It is Not for those who want to have it exactly as FSX or better....I am guessing that around three years from now it will have as much. ATC and AI is No Go right now but am sure some dude will come up with something.....Planes are getting better every month and there are some that are equal or better than some in FSX.....to me is like going to the lake house, doing some fishing and come home to FSX again for the rest of the week.....its nice to have more than one sim.:jump::jump::jump:

spotlope
June 9th, 2009, 16:19
Check again, Gera. You still have to have the X-Plane CD in the drive for it to start and run in non-demo mode.

gera
June 9th, 2009, 17:36
Check again, Gera. You still have to have the X-Plane CD in the drive for it to start and run in non-demo mode.

I see no problem with that, but I guess it is a big problem for others.....Oh well, that's life in the planet earth......I think it does not bother our FS9 brothers either.:sleep::sleep::sleep:

hobofat
June 9th, 2009, 18:27
I see no problem with that, but I guess it is a big problem for others.....Oh well, that's life in the planet earth......I think it does not bother our FS9 brothers either.:sleep::sleep::sleep:

I think it's difficult for many people to insert a CD into the drive Gera, as they must flip through hundreds of disks in order to find just the right one :engel016: I jest, I jest. It is a slight annoyance, I wish there were a no-cd hack like there exists for FS9. But I like Gera's comparison...X-Plane is like taking a weekend fishing trip and then it's back to the normal flight sim :)

I will say this, I like the constant updates. I purchased the disks with 9.2, downloaded 9.22 which was a vast improvement over 9.2. Yesterday I downloaded the beta of 9.3 and again, tremendous improvements over 9.22. I think that X-Plane does have a long way to go, but methinks it has also come a long way. I'll be keeping it for sure.

mfitch
June 9th, 2009, 18:39
XP has vectored thrust support. This was my reason for buying it and using it occasionally. Of course I have rarely landed successfully in an Osprey and never in a Harrier, but that is an issue of my lack of skill.

gera
June 10th, 2009, 06:59
Really Guys......is it That Hard!!!! to keep a disk in an easy to reach place???? Mamma Mia!!!!! :173go1:......with some Men (men ?????) today wearing "female earings and neckless or whatever" I guess you could hang it somewhere....I guess, yea I guess its possible......

Bjoern
June 10th, 2009, 09:10
Mega Autogen in my experience. Unless you are talking about airport buildings.

Airports and accuracy.

IanP
June 10th, 2009, 09:40
Really Guys......is it That Hard!!!! to keep a disk in an easy to reach place???? Mamma Mia!!!!! :173go1:......with some Men (men ?????) today wearing "female earings and neckless or whatever" I guess you could hang it somewhere....I guess, yea I guess its possible......

The 200 plus boxes in the rack behind me and the pile of thirty CDs/DVDs lying untouched in my cupboards (excluding music ones) says yes. It is. Why can I say that with such surety? Because in the last two weeks I have played one game that required me to insert a DVD (it was Far Cry 2, testing a graphics card update) compared to ten or eleven that haven't - including ones where the developers have two options: online authorisation or insert the CD. If the online auth fails, I play something else, despite the game boxes being less than a metre from me.

Also yes, as a legitimate user of FS9, I have and used to use the No-CD patch. These days I don't use FS9, so don't need to.

Helldiver
June 10th, 2009, 10:39
Like IanP I have a three drawer cabinet full of CDs, plus two large boxes of them. I do more than just run Flight Simulator on my computer, much more. Why they don't have a work around, sure beats me. Maybe they think the only thing you'll ever use is X-Plane.
If they want to make it more acceptable then why not make it easier to use. Make it so it recognize my Joystick and follow conventional keyboard commands. But no, they have to make it so you have to put in an elusive disk and follow keyboard commands, known only to a few.

gera
June 10th, 2009, 11:57
The 200 plus boxes in the rack behind me and the pile of thirty CDs/DVDs lying untouched in my cupboards (excluding music ones) says yes. It is. Why can I say that with such surety? Because in the last two weeks I have played one game that required me to insert a DVD (it was Far Cry 2, testing a graphics card update) compared to ten or eleven that haven't - including ones where the developers have two options: online authorisation or insert the CD. If the online auth fails, I play something else, despite the game boxes being less than a metre from me.

Also yes, as a legitimate user of FS9, I have and used to use the No-CD patch. These days I don't use FS9, so don't need to.

ummm, ummm:mixedsmi:, Go To any freeware software place and search for " cd catalog software" or something like that and download a program to classify your cdīs with a "number location" and localize them!!!!!.if you have so many.......I have a collection of "Model Airplane PLans", over 2000 and thatīs the only way to know how to find the one you want in about 1 to 2 minutes!!!!!...Warning!!! setting up the "boongadoodle" the first time will take a lot of time............:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::ico n_lol: took me about a week between beers and wine......:pop4:...and Free advise: keep the 10 most used very near-by.:guinness:.......or finally just make a disk image of your (legally purchased) X-Plane disc... http://forums.x-plane.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif if you got "disk image" software for back-ups. ----but I simply have a " Usually used CD or DVD bunker"...its just a 10 piece DVD holder which sits on top of my wine Cooler Fridge which is on my right of my Sim Chair...very near!!! and when you need a CD or DVD you swiggle to the right get the needed CD and since you are near a cool wine bottle ( I keep beer there too) you fill up a glass as a due treat for all the bother!!!!----love my 10 CDīs. <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_113581-->

gera
June 10th, 2009, 12:00
Like IanP I have a three drawer cabinet full of CDs, plus two large boxes of them. I do more than just run Flight Simulator on my computer, much more. Why they don't have a work around, sure beats me. Maybe they think the only thing you'll ever use is X-Plane.
If they want to make it more acceptable then why not make it easier to use. Make it so it recognize my Joystick and follow conventional keyboard commands. But no, they have to make it so you have to put in an elusive disk and follow keyboard commands, known only to a few.

It is as easy as FSX.....check my answer in the X-Plane Forum.....still trouble, PM me and weīll get you flying XP in no time!!!!!!:ernae:

IanP
June 10th, 2009, 12:26
You're missing the point, gera - the point is that the CDs are perfectly organised (apart from the bunch in a little controlled pile, which get poked through occasionally so I know what's in there). The point was that CDs and DVDs in boxes are not being put into a PC to play games - especially not X-Plane, due to the low fidelity unrealistic scenery, low ease of use of the interface, total lack of systems, totally unrealistic flight models in default aircraft (yes, I am aware that 3rd party ones can be a vast improvement...), lack of AI traffic and a number of other serious issues I have with it every time I try it.

When X-Plane gets up to FS2000 regarding scenery and system depth, I might take another look, but right now it's overpriced, under achieving and not of interest. Sorry!

You get a :medals: for perseverance though! :icon_lol:

JimC1702
June 10th, 2009, 12:43
I only paid $39. for X-Plane 9.22 and got a really nice Comanche 250 with it, and a $5.00 off coupon for additional add-ons. I've paid a lot more than that for a single airplane for FSX.

X-Plane is ahead in some areas (weather, water, sloping runways) and behind in other areas (scenery at airports, AI), but I think the default scenery beats FSX default. It has accurate water and roads. The flight models are a toss-up, I've seen real life pilots claim they each are the more accurate, so who knows? It's just different from FSX and a fun diversion.

Jim

gera
June 10th, 2009, 13:54
You're missing the point, gera - the point is that the CDs are perfectly organised (apart from the bunch in a little controlled pile, which get poked through occasionally so I know what's in there). The point was that CDs and DVDs in boxes are not being put into a PC to play games - especially not X-Plane, due to the low fidelity unrealistic scenery, low ease of use of the interface, total lack of systems, totally unrealistic flight models in default aircraft (yes, I am aware that 3rd party ones can be a vast improvement...), lack of AI traffic and a number of other serious issues I have with it every time I try it.

When X-Plane gets up to FS2000 regarding scenery and system depth, I might take another look, but right now it's overpriced, under achieving and not of interest. Sorry!

You get a :medals: for perseverance though! :icon_lol:

Piloto and Amigoooo!!!.....I am not trying to convince you into getting in an XP aircraft or doodlebug....I am just answering your extensive chatter on this sim which I agree is not up to FSX standadrs yet and as I have pointed out in other threads it is a very "different horse or mule"....I use it as a "mind distraction sim" which has some nice points and is very entertaining........concerning your CD physical organization you point out how difficult it is for you to find a missly CD from the houndreds you have and I suggest a sweet way to organized them...but now you say you have them totally organized!!!!!!!!...due to these one way day situation and then other day situation I give Up!!!!!!!.....go your way without XP and your CDīs and enjoy your day to day flights in FSX or whatever and let us in the future only delve and prolong our parleys in the fine nature of Panels, Textures, aircraft, and other subjects concerning FSX the King of Kings in the Aircraft Sim World and continue to be Pilotos of the Gods!!!!!....by the way, have you tried a good "Chianti" wine from the island of Sicely???...soothing and sweet as grapes can make it.....Cheers!!!!:icon29:You have earned these:medals:too!!!!!................:gameoff:

gera
June 10th, 2009, 13:57
I only paid $39. for X-Plane 9.22 and got a really nice Comanche 250 with it, and a $5.00 off coupon for additional add-ons. I've paid a lot more than that for a single airplane for FSX.

X-Plane is ahead in some areas (weather, water, sloping runways) and behind in other areas (scenery at airports, AI), but I think the default scenery beats FSX default. It has accurate water and roads. The flight models are a toss-up, I've seen real life pilots claim they each are the more accurate, so who knows? It's just different from FSX and a fun diversion.

Jim

Good!!!! Whoever paid more or pays more was and is getting Bamboozeled!!!!!:isadizzy:...isnīt it nice no Jim???, I get a kick hearing the squeeeek of the brakes when an XP plane lands!!!!! you probably have to change the bands at least"", at every airport!!!!!!...XP is like playing with my old Teddy Bear before going to bed!!!!! What??????....ummmm, ummmm. some great planes in there too...check the MU2......

JimC1702
June 10th, 2009, 13:58
Here's some more X-Plane screenies:

Jim

Kiwikat
June 10th, 2009, 14:02
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1508&d=1244670976

Vs.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/whippetstorm/Chicago.jpg

Nuff said.

stiz
June 10th, 2009, 14:06
seems like i'm not the only one who doesnt like different flavours :bump:

At the end of the day this disscussion is never ending, so as we have dedicated forums for each sim, why not keep the sim thats mentioned in the sim to the respective forums, or shall the FSX lot post fsx shots in the xp forum as well as this one? Failing that, there is aways the dedicated screen shot forum that isnt really used :engel016:

gera
June 10th, 2009, 14:07
bum!!!!!!!bang!!!!!bing!!!!!!bong!!!!!!!!......cra sh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....is that a 190 over N.Y.???? or St. Louis??? or Tampa???how did it cross the Atlantic?????

Major_Spittle
June 10th, 2009, 14:40
The Free A-6 texan has the most realistic flight dynamics of any FS plane I have ever flown. It does real well crabbing, slipping, hammer heads, and other manuvers that FSX couldn't dream to simulate half as accurately.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?

The weather generator in X-Plane is tops compared to FSX. If X-Plane just had a simple Multiplayer system I would spend 80% of my time flying on it vs FSX.

X-Plane wins in the flight modeling, damage modeling, and the weather part of simulation hands down. FSX wins in flight systems modeling, online, AI, and world modeling. Both have good and bad when it comes to graphics and autogen.

This is my opinion and therefore 100% correct.

Bjoern
June 10th, 2009, 16:12
bum!!!!!!!bang!!!!!bing!!!!!!bong!!!!!!!!......cra sh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....is that a 190 over N.Y.???? or St. Louis??? or Tampa???how did it cross the Atlantic?????

In a crate on a ship?

Geez, this looks more deserted than Rostock Airport on a weekend!

BananaBob
June 10th, 2009, 17:14
I think everyone should try XPlane, that way they would appreciate FSX the more, LOL, sorry couldn't resist. :running:

AckAck
June 10th, 2009, 19:52
I think everyone should try XPlane, that way they would appreciate FSX the more :running:

I did, and do...

Strangely enough, FSX works better on my system than XP9(.22). The main reason I got it (aside from the fact that I got it quite cheaply - used) was that it was supposed to be so much better and more fluid than FSX. It certainly is not so on my system.

Granted, I have an old machine, but XP9 won't give me more than a mile visibility (it probably more than that, but it seems I am flying in a perpetual fog bank.) Its refreshing to see that some people can see across the valley sometimes - I can usually not see the end of the runway.

Brian

Ark
June 10th, 2009, 21:46
Good!!!! Whoever paid more or pays more was and is getting Bamboozeled!!!!!:isadizzy:...isnīt it nice no Jim???, I get a kick hearing the squeeeek of the brakes when an XP plane lands!!!!! you probably have to change the bands at least"", at every airport!!!!!!...XP is like playing with my old Teddy Bear before going to bed!!!!! What??????....ummmm, ummmm. some great planes in there too...check the MU2......

The MU-2 is amazing.

Kiwikat
June 11th, 2009, 00:47
Strangely enough, FSX works better on my system than XP9

Strangely enough, FSX works better on my system than FS9!

Yes, I actually get more fps and a much smoother flight in FSX than in FS9.

JT8D-9A
June 11th, 2009, 03:38
A few months ago i was a FSX die-hard, but with all this cloud/social/Natal things going on, it's good that there is at least one serious alternative. Who knows with what other "revolutionary":sleep: things Microsoft will come up if there is no real competition.
FSX is shining brighter and brighter but we had to invest a lot of time and money for that and some things are still very problematic and will never get fixed (which is very disappointing).
The graphics of X-Plane are behind but developing one Sim for Windows, Linux and Mac is not easy. Especially if your users normally don't have the latest and greatest Hardware.
Now i enjoy the best of both worlds (like with CFS3 and IL-2) :ernae:

SkippyBing
June 11th, 2009, 04:11
Especially if your users normally don't have the latest and greatest Hardware.

Well that's what you get for using Macs.

Bjoern
June 11th, 2009, 11:30

*Snicker*

Kiwikat
June 11th, 2009, 12:17

:icon_lol: :applause:

Joking aside (not really... lol)... EVGA announced a GTX285 for mac. I might have to stop buying from EVGA now. Traitors!!! :173go1:

Good news is mac users can finally use a graphics card that doesn't absolutely SUCK.

VFR Alexander
June 11th, 2009, 12:26
:icon_lol: :applause:

Joking aside (not really... lol)... EVGA announced a GTX285 for mac. I might have to stop buying from EVGA now. Traitors!!! :173go1:

Good news is mac users can finally use a graphics card that doesn't absolutely SUCK.

It's $150 more than a real GTX 285, and you have to have macs (scam backwards) from 08 or 09 to use it.

Major_Spittle
June 11th, 2009, 14:17
People have become pretty proud of their i-Macs since they went to x86 PC hardware.

Now if we could get VW to put a Ford 302 in their VW bugs the Yuppies would be beside themselves with pride in all they hold sacred. :icon_lol: