PDA

View Full Version : A2A P-51 Red Tails WIP

Headwind
June 8th, 2009, 07:41
Ok so I kind of put the Big Beautiful Doll aside for a few to keep from going cross-eyed figuring out how it all fits together from the front of the fuselage to where it meets the back part of the fuselage. So in the mean time I made this one to kind of practice. It's not 100% finished yet but I think you get the idea. All comments are welcome to tell me if something is off. If anyone happens to have any photos of this I would appreciate seeing them, as I could only seem to find one photo of this paint. One other thing, does anyone know where to find the part to paint in the small intake right under the nose? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

http://www.oc77th.com/headwind/bunnie.jpg

http://www.oc77th.com/headwind/bunnie1.jpg

http://www.oc77th.com/headwind/bunnie2.jpg

crashaz
June 8th, 2009, 09:39
Wow... can't answer your painting question... I am a poly twister.. but wow... glad you jumped in and learned how to paint. We will all benefit!

Thanks!:wavey:

Tako_Kichi
June 8th, 2009, 12:45
One way to check if it is on a texture sheet is to 'flood fill' a new layer with a single colour, a rainbow pattern or a series of chequer boxes like the attached example and then save it as a DDS and put it on the model. At least that way you can narrow it down to a specific area.

However, sometimes parts are textured in the modelling program and are not on the texture sheet and then you are stuck!

DaveQ
June 8th, 2009, 14:23
Ok so I kind of put the Big Beautiful Doll aside for a few to keep from going cross-eyed figuring out how it all fits together from the front of the fuselage to where it meets the back part of the fuselage. So in the mean time I made this one to kind of practice. It's not 100% finished yet but I think you get the idea. All comments are welcome to tell me if something is off. If anyone happens to have any photos of this I would appreciate seeing them, as I could only seem to find one photo of this paint. One other thing, does anyone know where to find the part to paint in the small intake right under the nose? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

On the screenie below of P-51D1_t the chin intake is the blue area in the blue circle. I use white guidelines (red arrow) to align the code letters; these are repeated on the same spot in P-51D2_t. You have to tweak the height a bit to get perfect alignment and sometime shrinking the codes in P-51D2_t by 1 or 2% helps as well. The guides are obviously hidden when you get it right.

BTW this is a Blue Nosed ******* I'm working on

Headwind
June 8th, 2009, 15:39
Hey thanks! That worked out perfectly. It's under the "Main" catagory and is the "intake sidewalls" in the psd if anyone else happens to be looking for it as well. I don't even want to admit how long I looked for that.

DaveQ
June 9th, 2009, 00:31
Headwind - do you mean the chin intake sidewalls? If so yes. But be careful. Both internal intakes are from the same piece of texture; the inside of the main radiator intake comes further to the left of the bit for the chin intake.

DaveQ

Headwind
June 9th, 2009, 06:20
I'll have to check and see. Now that you say that makes me nervous. :kilroy: