PDA

View Full Version : Jan Visser F86

jimjones
October 17th, 2008, 02:52
Check out this web site for an upcoming f86. Freeware!!!!!

http://sectionf8.com.

A manual supposedly is available but when I downloaded it, it was invalid.

FSX version comes later.

deimos256
October 17th, 2008, 03:18
is it even out for fs9 yet? I heard about this a while ago, FSX version im sure will come "eventually"

lifejogger
October 17th, 2008, 03:55
Free??? That is going to be free? WOW!!!!!!:ernae:

Panther_99FS
October 17th, 2008, 04:11
is it even out for fs9 yet? I heard about this a while ago, FSX version im sure will come "eventually"

Release will be for FS2004 first - that was the original concept.

Then an FSX will release will come later. Do NOT expect an immediate FSX release after FS2004. There will be months of FSX development...:kilroy:

deimos256
October 17th, 2008, 04:27
oh im sure we wont see it for FSX anytime soon, i actually forgot all about it

Panther_99FS
October 17th, 2008, 04:31
oh im sure we wont see it for FSX anytime soon, i actually forgot all about it

You're quite correct here. The F-86 just like the MAAM Avenger were both conceived to be FS2004 products. FSX development was a later decision...

jimjones
October 17th, 2008, 06:52
Although the manual can't be downloaded, there is info on the panel that can be viewed. Enough research has apparently been done at this point to identify what will be in FSX and FS9 only, since reference is made to both sims.

At first look those screenshots seem to be fsx quality yet there is no apparent external self shadowing. Mighty great looking external pics if they are only fs9. Seems like there is rippling in the side panels similar to the acceleration P51, which is one great looking plane.

The release is said to be imminent, whatever that means.:costumes:

deimos256
October 17th, 2008, 06:56
imminent means that its definately coming, as far as a date? more than likely "its done when its done"

Tweek
October 17th, 2008, 08:05
imminent means that its definately coming, as far as a date? more than likely "its done when its done"

Imminent means 'very soon'.

Panther_99FS
October 17th, 2008, 08:29
Although the manual can't be downloaded,

Just click on the "manual" tab at the top & you can download it :mixedsmi:

Pips
October 17th, 2008, 13:44
It'll be interesting to see how it compares in detail to an actual RAAF CA-27 Sabre (serial no:A94-983) currently undergoing restoration to flying condition at Temora Aviation Museum, NSW, Australia.

See here for details: http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/aircraft/raafsabre.cfm

kilo delta
October 26th, 2008, 07:54
It's now available to d/l on Avsim..... sf86ef.zip :wavey:

Pepere
October 26th, 2008, 08:40
I,m downloading it now. I,ll try it in FSX and let you know how works!

David

JT8D-9A
October 26th, 2008, 09:21
*seems* to work in FSX.
I only renamed the main texture folder to texture.shared and placed a texture.cfg in every AC texture folder ([fltsim]fallback.1=..\texture.shared).
And i changed the alpha channel of the textures f86jv_glas_vcanopy.bmp, f86jv_glas_vcleft.bmp and f86jv_glas_vcmid.bmp to dark gray.

It looks fantastic. I hope that all systems are working properly. I haven't read any readme or manual:redf::running:

Javis
October 26th, 2008, 09:59
It'll be interesting to see how it compares in detail to an actual RAAF CA-27 Sabre (serial no:A94-983)

Does not compare that much, yet, Pips.Please wait a while until i have the chance to produce a proper looking CAC Sabre. Sure's on the list, you know ! :mixedsmi:

Cheers,
Jan

Roger
October 26th, 2008, 10:42
*seems* to work in FSX.
I only renamed the main texture folder to texture.shared and placed a texture.cfg in every AC texture folder ([fltsim]fallback.1=..\texture.shared).
And i changed the alpha channel of the textures f86jv_glas_vcanopy.bmp, f86jv_glas_vcleft.bmp and f86jv_glas_vcmid.bmp to dark gray.

It looks fantastic. I hope that all systems are working properly. I haven't read any readme or manual:redf::running:

Hi Nils,
I assume that you flew it in Dx9c?

JT8D-9A
October 26th, 2008, 11:00
Hi Nils,
I assume that you flew it in Dx9c?
That's correct, Roger.
In DX10 mode only the VC will work and a few other parts.

Roger
October 26th, 2008, 11:58
What ever I do with DXT1bmp I can't get the alpha to keep a colour change (ie to dark grey) in the texture f86jv_glas_vcanopy.bmp ...It always reverts to white.:isadizzy:

Navy Chief
October 26th, 2008, 12:46
WOW! Trying to download now, but is understandably busy.

NC

Pepere
October 26th, 2008, 12:47
A FPS killer but really awesome. I broke the gear though. Can I get some maintenance over here please!

JT8D-9A
October 26th, 2008, 13:29
What ever I do with DXT1bmp I can't get the alpha to keep a colour change (ie to dark grey) in the texture f86jv_glas_vcanopy.bmp ...It always reverts to white.:isadizzy:
PM me your email and i can send you the files.

Regarding the performance.. i think the smoke and exhaust effects are eating FPS and the Wingtip effects are done by FSX by default.
I converted all BMPs without an alpha to DXT1/DDS and all with an alpha to DXT5/DDS and i changed the file extensions in the model from ".BMP" to ".DDS".
But it's a FS9 model...

But really fantastic work! Many thanks to all involved!:medals: :applause:

Pepere
October 26th, 2008, 13:38
Nice. FPS killer is the exhaust. remove the fx files and it helps a lot. you'll have to restart FSX to stop the fx files from working?

Nils - maybe you can get the makers permission to download those dds etc files to here at SOH... A thought!

David

Bjoern
October 26th, 2008, 14:27
Providing that Nils uploads those .dds' here at the Outhouse, I will gladly give the Sabre a try.

Dave, the Sabre's aircraft.cfg should have a [Smoke] section. Just remove the effect file's name from it and you should be good to go.

Bruce Thompson
October 26th, 2008, 14:37
Thanks to Jan and Team for this incredible aircraft.:applause::applause::applause::ernae:

Nils thanks for the info, I also have it working in FSX.
I think you are right about the smoke effect, I wiil try it with that removed.

DaveKDEN
October 26th, 2008, 14:41
*seems* to work in FSX.

How do you go about changing the alpha channel on the VC canopy files? I can't see through the VC canopy textures at all (they display the interior reflection of the cockpit, but as a solid color instead of transparent). I have DXTBmp.exe, but haven't ever messed with alpha channels.

CG_1976
October 26th, 2008, 14:46
Nils i'd be very pleased and much appreciated if you could please upload the VC fix and other tinkers youve come up with please.:ernae:

wilycoyote4
October 26th, 2008, 14:47
Nice. FPS killer is the exhaust. remove the fx files and it helps a lot. you'll have to restart FSX to stop the fx files from working?
Nils - maybe you can get the makers permission to download those dds etc files to here at SOH... A thought!
David

I hope the dds files and any other helps can be downloaded here even though temporary until the final FSx version comes out.

kilo delta
October 26th, 2008, 15:16
The .dds texture files will also require Nils modified model as the original calls for .bmp textures. People could hexedit the model themselves, of course.:)

Pips
October 26th, 2008, 15:42
I can understand the excitement to d/load and 'play' with the model to get it to work in FSX. But I'm happy to wait for the guys to produce a genuine FSX model. Who knows what extra goodies the FSX release might include. I don't want to spoil the anticipation.

Then again I'm a lazy bugger. :)

JT8D-9A
October 26th, 2008, 15:44
The texture conversion is only a small improvement and i also altered the model to avoid that FSX has to search.
If i find a solution for the effects and if i'm sure that every system works as intended in FSX, i will ask them if i can upload something.
But i don't want to cause them extra work and that they have to support something they haven't done.

You can easily convert the textures with imagetool and a batch file (DXT1=imagetool -nobeep -nomip -dxt1 -dds -nodither *. bmp; DXT5=imagetool -nobeep -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither *. bmp).

And for the model use a Hex editor and replace ".BMP" with ".DDS".
So the textures are then 12MB per livery and should be no problem.
Maybe it will help to remove the 2D panel. And maybe not all systems work in FSX as intended or are needed.

hey_moe
October 26th, 2008, 17:15
What is the chance of getting a file to correct the cockpit texture from Bruce or Nils

Pepere
October 26th, 2008, 17:36
I didn't change the alpha channel I just renamed the three files so they would not be used by the aircraft. Makes the canopy clear. Better than nothing :jump:

These are the three you can rename: f86jv_glas_vcanopy.bmp, f86jv_glas_vcleft.bmp and f86jv_glas_vcmid.bmp and maybe this one too: f86jv_glas_t

David

Railrunner130
October 26th, 2008, 18:00
I've got Accelleration and am not having much luck. I tried adding a grey alpha layer to the above mentioned textures (saving in DXT3 mode with alpha layer) and only the nose wheel worked.

Am I screwed or did I screw something up?

Butcherbird17
October 26th, 2008, 19:57
The way I did the alpha is to open one of the above textures in DXTBMP, click on ALPHA in tool bar and click on Export Alpha Channel, name it something and save it to a temp folder. Now open your fav paint program and open the saved alpha and then paint it a dark gray, then save. Now go back into DXTBMP and click on Alpha, (make sure the texture is still opened) then Import Alpha Channel, browse to your saved alpha and click yes to overwrite, click OK to save. Now just use the same alpha for the other textures and your good to go.

Joe

wilycoyote4
October 26th, 2008, 21:43
Hope I haven't overlooked anything, but can readers tell me how to remove smoke?

Bruce Thompson
October 27th, 2008, 04:25
Well i have had a play with this and deceided to wait for the full FSX version, otherwise i'll end up going around in circles.

It' a beautiful model for FS9, but complicated to port over to FSX, a few things don't work as they should if you port it and it would take me days to sort.

Best wait for Jan's team to come up with the full FSX version.

deimos256
October 27th, 2008, 04:34
ah geez this is gonna be a tough one to wait for

JT8D-9A
October 27th, 2008, 06:53
Which systems aren't working?
To me it seems that everything is working, but i still have to read the manual :redf:

I attached the 3 textures as TXT.. rename it to f86.zip!
Many thanks to Jan for allowing it!

And here is a small guide (not perfect and use at your own risk):

1. rename the main texture folder (sound, effects, texture, aircraft) to "Texture.shared" and place it in the
Sabre folder.

2. replace the 3 textures with my attached textures in the Texture.shared folder (rename the txt to zip!).

3. Convert the textures in the Texture.shared folder:
DXT5 (imagetool -nobeep -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither *. bmp):

f86jv_glas_vcanopy.bmp
f86jv_glas_vcmid.bmp
f86jv_glas_vcleft.bmp
f86jv_visor.bmp
f86jv_rect.bmp
f86jv_glasopy_t.bmp

The other textures to DXT1 (imagetool -nobeep -nomip -dxt1 -dds -nodither *. bmp).

4. create a texture.cfg in every texture folders (except of the texture.shared folder)
[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\texture.shared

5. Convert the textures in every texture folder:
DXT5 (imagetool -nobeep -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither *. bmp):

fuse_1_t.dds
helm_t.dds
hsurf2_t.dds
hsurf_t.dds

The other textures to DXT1 (imagetool -nobeep -nomip -dxt1 -dds -nodither *. bmp).

6. open the model mdl with a Hex editor and replace ".BMP" with ".DDS".

7. Disable the effects in Aircraft.cfg (you can also try to replace the effects or to disable the exhaust by commenting it "//"):

light.8= 6, -19.10, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Orange // JR 60% N2 flame and smoke
light.9= 8, -18.50, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Blue_B // JR 77% N2 flame and smoke
light.10=9, -17.90, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_low_Orange // JR 90% N2 flame and smoke
// alternate
// light.8= 6, -17.90, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_low_Orange // JR 60% N2 flame and smoke
// light.9= 8, -18.50, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Orange // JR 77% N2 flame and smoke
// light.10=9, -19.10, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Blue_B // JR 90% N2 flame and smoke

light.11=1, 0.60, 0.00, 0.00, fx_SF86_Firepower3 // JR gun flashes
//light.12=7, -15.0, -18.40, -1.00, fx_SF86_Wingtip8 // JR wing vortices
//light.13=7, -15.0, 18.40, -1.00, fx_SF86_Wingtip8 // JR wing vortices
//light.12=10, -4.00, -4.70, 0.70, fx_SF86_Wingcloud_2port // JR wing clouds ??
//light.13=10, -4.00, 4.70, 0.70, fx_SF86_Wingcloud_2star // JR wing clouds ??

light.16= 4, 1.92, -0.07, 1.48, fx_vclight
// light.17= 4, 1.0, 0.5, 1.6, fx_vclight

[smokesystem]
//smoke.0= 0.0, -27.0, 0.0, fx_SF86_EngFire // JR
//smoke.0 = 0, -84.44, 0.50, fx_smoke_w

Just a test:

[effects]
wake=fx_wake
water=fx_spray
dirt=fx_SF86_Dust_medium // JR
concrete=fx_SF86_Belly_Sparks // JR
touchdown=fx_SF86_TireMark,1 // JR
contrail=fx_SF86_TurboSmokeHeat2 // JR
startup=fx_SF86_TurboStart2 // JR
windshield_rain_effect_available = 1
EngineFire=fx_SF86_EngFire //<--- i don't know if it will work.

Bruce Thompson
October 27th, 2008, 08:24
Hi Nils,

Some of the problems I am having could be because , I aint read the handbook yet also.

1. Speed brake keeps deploying itself without input from me. It does so very slowly.

2. Landing Gear will stick sometimes half way, othertimes it retracts fully.

JT8D-9A
October 27th, 2008, 10:55
Hi Bruce,
i don't have an explanation for your problem with the speed brake, but i think that the landing gear has to be retracted before reaching 185 Kts.
The speed brake works for me and only if i deploy it.

It's really an amazing work and i'm surprised that there are only very small texture issues in FSX. I have expected serious problems and that's why i wasn't really prepared for the arrival of the Sabre.
Really outstanding work! :applause:

Bruce Thompson
October 27th, 2008, 11:54
Thanks Nils, I will check it out a bit more, i'll let you know how i get on.

hey_moe
October 27th, 2008, 14:10
Nlis and Bruce...stop fussin at each other and just fix it so all I gotta do is press da exe file...you guys are the geekers...now stop being the slackers :costumes::costumes:

Bruce Thompson
October 27th, 2008, 16:00
Nils you are right about the L/Gear speed, and I sorted the S/Brake problem. My X52 and Pro Flight Yoke were having an argument as to who controls wot:banghead:

Turned all smoke off, but left the black exhaust and am getting about 5 more fps than before, now up to 24/27fps.

Hey Moe just remember that word Sooooooon:costumes:

deimos256
October 27th, 2008, 16:06
hahaha to quote most game developers its done when its done, seeing as how this just came out im sure the FSX version will take some time

heywooood
October 27th, 2008, 17:27
is there a mig 15 or 17 to go against it?...

Barfly
October 27th, 2008, 20:08
Bear Studios makes both the Mig 15 and 17, for either fs9 or fsx i believe.

JT8D-9A
October 28th, 2008, 03:08
Nlis and Bruce...stop fussin at each other and just fix it so all I gotta do is press da exe file...you guys are the geekers...now stop being the slackers :costumes::costumes:
Ok, i uploaded it without permission to SimV.. search for "FSX Sabre + north cal prop club". :d
No, only a joke.
I hope my small guide is understandable.
If you follow my guide for the Sabre you can do this for any aircraft.
I did nearly the same for the DC-2 (you only have to take care for the "vcrain*.bmp" entries in the model) and i removed her 2D panel and now everything is smooth and the textures are loading very fast.
Or the Carenados.. or the Iris planes.. etc.. I don't have the Bushhawk, but i did read she would have over 100MB per livery - spend an evening with imagetool (or DX Texture tool with which you can resize) and everything will be smooth.:icon36:

Bruce, i'm glad that everything is working now!

jimjones
October 28th, 2008, 03:15
Go to SimFlight.com for today's very nice review of the f86.

kilo delta
October 28th, 2008, 03:17
Cheers, Nils. I might do this with the C9 Phantom.....I'm really missing the Double Ugly from FSX.

Bjoern
October 28th, 2008, 05:31
is there a mig 15 or 17 to go against it?...

Barney Bigard made a 15 for FS9...if Mark Rooks managed to port it over to FSX already (*cough*), it should work without hitches.

Panther_99FS
October 28th, 2008, 08:40
There is a MiG-17 available at Flight1

Bjoern
October 28th, 2008, 13:39
Got around testing the '86...amazing....simply amazing!

I've put together a "lazy SOB" upgrade pack, which makes FSX implementation a walk in the park (based on Nils' upgrade).
Still need to clear up two things though before I'll upload it:

1) I'm asking Javis for permission to include the modified (hex-edited) .mdl. (PM on the way.)

2) Nils, is it okay if I include your modded canopy bitmaps? And part of your "how to" in the readme?

deimos256
October 28th, 2008, 13:52
hahaha i hate to say it but im on the lazy SOB list

JT8D-9A
October 28th, 2008, 14:44
2) Nils, is it okay if I include your modded canopy bitmaps? And part of your "how to" in the readme?
I only changed the alpha channel.. if it's okay for Jan, it's okay for me.

Bjoern
October 28th, 2008, 16:37
I only changed the alpha channel.. if it's okay for Jan, it's okay for me.

Wonderful!

Just sent an email to Jan containing the "update". If SectionF8 approves, I'll put it up here. If they and everyone else approve even more, it definately should go up on the SOH mainpage and Avsim and anywhere else you can download the Sabre...

By the way, even with the smoke mods, my FPS was low in-flight. I think there's more of those performance degrading effects in there...

Railrunner130
October 28th, 2008, 17:14
Thanks for doing that guys. I think it would take me a while to work my way through all that. I'm not sure where my time is going these days....

wilycoyote4
October 29th, 2008, 12:20
Great aircraft. Thanks and congrats to the makers and the helpers on this thread. Some Alaskan arctic flying here. Quite a learning curve but a delight.

Looking forward to more paints and any new developments. FSX SP2 Accel DX9.

:medals: :medals: :running: :ernae: :ernae:

JT8D-9A
October 29th, 2008, 15:14
Really fantastic work! I can't write it often enough :medals::applause:

Bjoern
October 30th, 2008, 02:10
Got permission from the SectionF8 team to upload the package. Jan is maybe even sponsoring a new interim model, which will fix a minor alpha channel issue. :d

I'm at uni right now, expect the file here in the forums in six to eight hours. Still need to write a proper readme.

deimos256
October 30th, 2008, 04:52
:applause:

Bjoern
October 30th, 2008, 09:52
Alright guys, here it is!

hxxp://home.arcor.de/justasoldier/Sabre%20FSX%20Interim%20Upgrade.zip
(xx=tt)

Make sure to read the readme!

deimos256
October 30th, 2008, 12:07
for some reason when i disable the contrail effect by // in front of the line, my fps improves but then i have a constant white contrail, even when im sitting on the runway

*edit* nevermind, as far as smoke i have figured that if you just rename the file that the .cfg references for contrail my fps goes up, this disables the smoke thats pouring out while idling on the ground, there is still smoke while flying but im guessing there were 2 smokes coming out and that was eating frames, i really have no idea i usually dont mess around with this stuff

Bjoern
October 30th, 2008, 14:39
Bad idea in case of the fx_smoke_w.fx file. This is a default FSX one. Maybe simply deleting the Sabre's custom effect files will have an effect...

deimos256
October 30th, 2008, 15:03
the file i renamed was one specific to the sabre, i would never edit a default file :mixedsmi:

Bjoern
October 31st, 2008, 09:44
the file i renamed was one specific to the sabre, i would never edit a default file :mixedsmi:

And it eliminated the persistent white smoke?

What file was it?

jimjones
October 31st, 2008, 12:24
Thanks for the update, Bjoern. Works like a charm. Just follow the instructions. I wanted to know what was happening and studied those instructions before trying them. Finally figured it out. Would have been a lot easier by just using the instructions as you presented them. :icon_lol:

Bjoern
October 31st, 2008, 13:51
Thanks, Jim!

Railrunner130
October 31st, 2008, 16:45
Thanks again Bjoern!!

:ernae:

chinookmark
November 1st, 2008, 05:59
Thanks Jan, F8 team, Bjoern! Awesome aircraft!

I added this line to the aircraft.cfg to get rid of the annoying low altitude warnings.

[GPWS]
max_warning_height = -1 //No need for GPWS

Bjoern
November 2nd, 2008, 12:50
No problem, guys!

deimos256
November 2nd, 2008, 14:59
And it eliminated the persistent white smoke?

What file was it?

sorry i have been away from my computer for the weekend

[effects]
wake=fx_wake
water=fx_spray
contrail=fx_SF86_TurbooSmokeHeat2 // JR <--------I just renamed this
startup=fx_SF86_TurboStart2 // JR

now when sitting still on the ground no smoke ie higher frames for me, and also no persistent white smoke.

Jug 47
November 2nd, 2008, 15:46
Question ... how do I get the pilot to , disappear and get the flight gear on the wing ?

What command is it, Im running SP2 ..ONLY

heywooood
November 2nd, 2008, 19:04
switch off all the power - small panel on the right just below the main instrument panel
and pull the parking brake on..small yellow/black lever on the left side just below the main inst. panel...This will park the jet with the tags and covers in place.

heywooood
November 2nd, 2008, 19:10
it looks beautiful, but the FPS impact is a little too high for me still

Got rid of the white smoke on the ground but as in pic #3 above, there is a strong black smoke trail - which would be ok if it was associated with the throttle settings - but it is instead consistently thick at all throttle setting including idle...which is likely incorrect...anyone?

But the form of the aircraft is perfect as is the cockpit in most regards - this model is beautifully rendered and flies nicely - it is landable - took it from Palm Desert to Point Mugu in the screens above and that was a nice flight.

A big thank you to the people that made this model and also to the community members that shared the files that makes it work in FSX Sp2 - I am really jazzed about getting the true FSX model when it is made available - and all the other variants they are planning as well.

remember Mig Alley?..."get 'im Lead...Pound him!!"

deimos256
November 3rd, 2008, 02:46
as for getting rid up the smoke when idling look at my post above, just rename the file that they reference or just paste that in your .cfg

wilycoyote4
November 3rd, 2008, 04:43
it looks beautiful, but the FPS impact is a little too high for me still

Got rid of the white smoke on the ground but as in pic #3 above, there is a strong black smoke trail - which would be ok if it was associated with the throttle settings - but it is instead consistently thick at all throttle setting including idle...which is likely incorrect...anyone?

remember Mig Alley?

Yes on Mig Alley, it was good.

I am SFX SP2 Accel.

I had poor fps and poor looking black smoke at every altitude and no contrail in air cold enough for contrails. On the first day I made these changes to the a/c cfg file. Fps is now fine. No black smoke. Contrail when in air cold enough. I don't know if I can have a black smoke in warmer air. However, the changes ----so far---have made good results.

Perhaps this can work for others. Perhaps another change is needed.

<title></title><style></style> Red is mine but only where there is a difference. The BOLD is where I have added a note to explain a detail. My effort is to get rid of smoke and low fps while getting a contrail for high flight plus higher fps. Those who fly low and love smoke may change the cfg in another way.

[GeneralEngineData]
engine_type = 1
fuel_flow_scalar = 1.0
min_throttle_limit = 0.0
engine.0 = 0.0 , 0.00, 0.00
max_contrail_temperature = 99 // JR was -28, set to allow idle smoke effect
max_contrail_temperature = -12 // JR was -28, set to allow idle smoke effect

//(A setting of -12 isn't very cold. It is -12C which is 10F. You set the temp in C where you want it.)

[lights]
//#1=beacon #2=strobe #3=nav #4=cockpit #5=landing
//#6=taxi #7=recog #8=wing #9=logo #10=cabin
//index,type, long, lat, vert, fx_filename
//-------------------------------------------------

light.0= 3, -12.43, 18.7, -0.82, fx_SF86_steadyg
light.1= 3, -25.55, 0.10, 1.81, fx_SF86_steadyw
light.2= 3, -12.43, -18.7, -0.82, fx_SF86_steadyr
light.3= 2, -12.43, 18.7, -0.82, fx_SF86_flashg
light.4= 2, -25.55, 0.10, 1.81, fx_SF86_flashw
light.5= 2, -12.43, -18.7, -0.82, fx_SF86_flashr
light.6= 5, 8.60, -0.55, -2.10, fx_SF86_landing
light.7= 5, 8.60, 0.55, -2.10, fx_SF86_landing

//light.8= 6, -19.10, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Orange // JR 60% N2 flame and smoke
//light.9= 8, -18.50, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Blue_B // JR 77% N2 flame and smoke
//light.10=9, -17.90, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_low_Orange // JR 90% N2 flame and smoke
// alternate
// light.8= 6, -17.90, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_low_Orange // JR 60% N2 flame and smoke
// light.9= 8, -18.50, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Orange // JR 77% N2 flame and smoke
// light.10=9, -19.10, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Blue_B // JR 90% N2 flame and smoke

light.11=1, 0.60, 0.00, 0.00, fx_SF86_Firepower3 // JR gun flashes
//light.12=7, -15.0, -18.40, -1.00, fx_SF86_Wingtip8 // JR wing vortices
//light.13=7, -15.0, 18.40, -1.00, fx_SF86_Wingtip8 // JR wing vortices
//light.14=10, -4.00, -4.70, 0.70, fx_SF86_Wingcloud_2port // JR wing clouds
//light.15=10, -4.00, 4.70, 0.70, fx_SF86_Wingcloud_2star // JR wing clouds

light.16= 4, 1.92, -0.07, 1.48, fx_vclight
// light.17= 4, 1.0, 0.5, 1.6, fx_vclight

//(I am using the alternative but include all to try for clarity). I haven't tried gun flashes yet so I don't know how that will affect fps.

[effects]
wake=fx_wake
water=fx_spray

//startup=fx_SF86_TurboStart2 // JR
//contrail=fx_SF86_TurboSmokeHeat2 // JR // actually, I have removed these lines completely. I believe it ruins fps.

//(Therefore the effects files fx_SF86_TurboStart2 and fx_SF86_TurboSmokeHeat2 can be removed from the FSX effects folder. Or you can leave them in.)

Hoping this helps.

deimos256
November 3rd, 2008, 04:57
i tried to disable the contrail line and thats when i got persistent white smoke, so i just put an extra o in turbosmokeheat2 and my fps troubles went away

chinookmark
November 3rd, 2008, 07:08
deimos,

I think that's where this line comes in:

max_contrail_temperature = 99 // JR was -28, set to allow idle smoke effect
max_contrail_temperature = -12 // JR was -28, set to allow idle smoke effect

I believe the default puts out a contrail anytime the temp is above 99 deg C, which I'm pretty sure is most of the time. Changing it to -12 makes it display only when the temp is below freezing.

JT8D-9A
November 3rd, 2008, 07:34
Thanks wilycoyote4! :applause:

wilycoyote4
November 3rd, 2008, 12:47
Thanks wilycoyote4! :applause:
Thank you, too. I haven't tried to think of a way to get black smoke at lower altitude and higher temperature, such as take off, and treetop flight.

Maybe it can't be done, or someone knows, or ? I'll do some experiments this evening ---- I hope, LOL. I'm FSX SP2 Accell so I'll try reading in the SDK for a start.

Then I'll try full VC flying by the book. That will keep me busy, eh?

:medals: Great aircraft. Lots of hours can be spent on this F-86 Saber.

Bjoern
November 3rd, 2008, 14:45
I'll try to batchfile those effects changes or include this stuff in the "update".

By the way, Jan has sent me a modified panel.cfg (fixing an issue with the radios) and aircraft.cfg ((the usual?) smoke fixes).

Could one of you guys try it out?
I don't have much time right now.
The files are attached to this post. Just download and rename the file to "F86_FSXcfg.zip". Make sure to adjust the [flightsim.xx] sections.

heywooood
November 3rd, 2008, 18:46
Thank you Bjoern - I have substituted those 2 files and so far I'm getting better results.

Still have the black smoke but overall less of a frame rate impact than before...

I'm also using the new panel.cfg but I don't know what was changed there as I had not used the radio much as yet...still just admiring the model too much for flight following or tower talk...

heywooood
November 3rd, 2008, 18:48
BtW - if anyone can tell me how to remove that red colored GEAR/FLAP setting readout in the upper left hand corner of the screen I woud be obliged :kilroy:

Lightning
November 3rd, 2008, 19:01
BtW - if anyone can tell me how to remove that red colored GEAR/FLAP setting readout in the upper left hand corner of the screen I woud be obliged :kilroy:

In the panel .cfg
Add these //

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window11]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=100,100
window_size_ratio=1.000
position=0
visible=0
ident=10011
nomenu=1
window_size= 0.140, 0.150
window_pos= 0.000, 0.000
zorder=100
type=SPECIAL
//gauge00=SF8_F86!Display, 0,0,100,100

heywooood
November 3rd, 2008, 19:08
Great!! thanks Lightning

deimos256
November 3rd, 2008, 20:06
i applied both of the new files and i noticed better performance over my benchmark flight from kedw to klax. the only thing i noticed is that the stick doesnt block the vertical speed indicator anymore so im guessing a eyepoint got shifted or something

Javis
November 3rd, 2008, 23:14

In the panel .cfg
Add these //

Guys!Guys! Please DO **** before messing about with the cfg files !:a1089:

Here you go deleting an option that Hansi has meticulously crafted into our Sabre model to make it as realistic as possible, while all you have to do to get rid of the gear, flaps, speedbrakes readout in the upper left corner is to click the red warning placard situated on the gunsight tray !!

And what's more, why would you because another click makes it automatic !!

During approach and landing a Sabre pilot wants to be aware of the gear, flaps, and speedbrakes positions ALL THE TIME! Since we have no sense of 'feeling' in our virtual flying world and there is no visual reference of the flaps and speedbrakes position in the cockpit of this particular version of the F-86, our real world F-86 pilot Dudley Henriques thought it would be a good idea to provide alternate means of keeping the pilot constantly aware of the gear, flaps and speedbrakes positions during approach and landing. Thus Hansi made that possible.....

It's the pilot's choice to either make use of this option by clicking the left side of the warning placard or ignore it by another click. It's fully automatic, the read out will only show if the gear, flaps, and/or speedbrakes are operated.

You could've just read this all in the 'f86ef_ref.htm' .....

Just thought i'd let you know..... :173go1::d

cheers,
Jan

wilycoyote4
November 3rd, 2008, 23:42
Jarvis, I copy on placard which has more than one function. Thanks for pointing this out.

JT8D-9A
November 4th, 2008, 03:02
Thanks Jan and Bjoern! I like Wily's solution but i will also test the new CFGs.

Paularx
November 4th, 2008, 03:49
Thank you Jan !

This sabre is a most amazing beast !

New configs work well, no white smoke around plane on runway, and the radio panel is displaying correctly now.

Works very well in FSX !:applause::applause:

heywooood
November 4th, 2008, 05:34
Guys!Guys! Please DO **** before messing about with the cfg files !:a1089:

Here you go deleting an option that Hansi has meticulously crafted into our Sabre model to make it as realistic as possible, while all you have to do to get rid of the gear, flaps, speedbrakes readout in the upper left corner is to click the red warning placard situated on the gunsight tray !!

And what's more, why would you because another click makes it automatic !!

During approach and landing a Sabre pilot wants to be aware of the gear, flaps, and speedbrakes positions ALL THE TIME! Since we have no sense of 'feeling' in our virtual flying world and there is no visual reference of the flaps and speedbrakes position in the cockpit of this particular version of the F-86, our real world F-86 pilot Dudley Henriques thought it would be a good idea to provide alternate means of keeping the pilot constantly aware of the gear, flaps and speedbrakes positions during approach and landing. Thus Hansi made that possible.....

It's the pilot's choice to either make use of this option by clicking the left side of the warning placard or ignore it by another click. It's fully automatic, the read out will only show if the gear, flaps, and/or speedbrakes are operated.

You could've just read this all in the 'f86ef_ref.htm' .....

Just thought i'd let you know..... :173go1::d

cheers,
Jan

Thanks Jan - the model is outstanding and I had not read the f'n manual.

the gear readout 'Gear 0' was or seemed to be stuck 'on' or displaying even though the gear was retracted and it did not go out.

I can easily undo the .cfg alteration and use the placard/switch thats no problem. Maybe now that I have examined the Saber without reading the book and gotten my jones out of the way - I can print out the book and read it.

chinookmark
November 4th, 2008, 08:15
Thank you, too. I haven't tried to think of a way to get black smoke at lower altitude and higher temperature, such as take off, and treetop flight.

Maybe it can't be done, or someone knows, or ? I'll do some experiments this evening ---- I hope, LOL. I'm FSX SP2 Accell so I'll try reading in the SDK for a start.

Wileycoyote4

I did a little playing around ... I don't know of anything that will turn the smoke on at lower altitudes, but you can easily tweak the smoke at various throttle settings.

These three lights are tied into a gauge somewhere and activate at certain N2 settings, you can see in the comment in each entry. Light type (the first entry after the "=" ) 6 activates at 60%, type 8 at 77%, and type 9 at 90%.

fx_ _max_Orange and _max_Blue_B both have pretty decent smoke, while _low_Orange has the lightest smoke, but interestingly is activated at the highest throttle setting.

First, try the alternate values. Light smoke will appear at low throttle settings, heavy smoke at mid and high throttle settings. You can also // to tweak to suit. If you // light.8 and light.9, you will only have smoke at full throttle.

I settled on this:

light.8= 8, -17.90, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_low_Orange // JR 60% N2 flame and smoke
//light.9= 8, -18.50, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Orange // JR 77% N2 flame and smoke
light.10=9, -19.10, 0.068, -0.02, fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Blue_B // JR 90% N2 flame and smoke

It's got no smoke at low throttle, light smoke at mid throttle, and heavier smoke at full throttle. I lost part of the flame, but i don't spend a whole lot of time looking up my own tailpipe.

wilycoyote4
November 4th, 2008, 08:40
Thanks Jan and Bjoern! I like Wily's solution but i will also test the new CFGs.
I have tried the new aircraft cfg but anything with smoke is hard on fps for me. I don't have a pc that eats a plow horse for breakfast, harness, shoes, and nails, too. So I comment out light 8 and 10 as well, in other words, I use my cfg and do without smoke at any altitude or throttle.

Others may be able to run the smoke because their pc is able.

I don't know if any other change is in the aircraft cfg for consideration.

I'll check the panel cfg next. I guess radio is the issue here. Anything else?

This is a complex aircraft. I think it is excellent to do so well in FSX SP2 Accel. Just a miracle.

heywooood
November 5th, 2008, 05:18
Bump*

This model and all of its reference materials and the associated files that make it flyable in FSX are too awesome to be on page (2) just yet...

Bjoern
November 5th, 2008, 15:27
Alright, revision 1.1 of the "upgrade" has arrived.

Changes from v1.0:

Upgrade procedure adapted to already installed Sabres
Added a Batch file that automates preparation of the upgrade procedure
A panel.cfg (by Jan himself) which brings the radios back to the VC
All smoke/fire/flame effects were removed (result see attached screenshot :d)
Contrail temperature "fixed" back to -28°C

People with already "upgraded" Sabres might want to change the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg, everyone else get this, since things are even easier than before now (no more digging in FSX's texture folder!)!

The link, as usual:
hzzp://home.arcor.de/justasoldier/Sabre%20FSX%20Interim%20Upgrade.zip
(zz=tt)

Read the readme!

Personal results of the entirely deleted exhaust effects: See attachment.
(FPS used to be 14-16 in turns)

wilycoyote4
November 5th, 2008, 15:36
"Alright, revision 1.1 of the "upgrade" has arrived."

Thanks, testing in a little while. :ernae: :applause: :running:

deimos256
November 5th, 2008, 16:35
im going to pass this time around, i got my sabre running to my satisfaction, however i do appreciate the help to some of us less "config savvy" people

heywooood
November 5th, 2008, 18:52
thanks Bjoern - I was not able to see any improvement in FPS over the last revision and I still have the black engine smoke - which I like, but comes at a penalty...

I really appreciate you and Jan and everyone making these files available here!

This plane is amazing in every way and at 15-29 FPS where I fly it - its good enough -even if the FPS range is a little wider than most of what I fly in the sim.

Usually a plane that gives me 28-30 in the air will only dip to 22-24 on the ground at the airports I use for testing FPS (KFHR, CYXX, KORS, PADU, PAJN, TKPN)
but this one dives below 15 on the ground and seems to cause an overall ground/ scenery texture loss in flight that never snaps back until I have landed and taxied to a stop - then the textures pop and the plane hops once...

I'm still adjusting the settings in FSX for this jet as it is more than worth the effort - I'm just baffled as to why only the F-86 does this - the 737 and the F-18 are larger renders but do not have this effect on my rig.

P4 3.4 dual core Zotac 8800gt 512 and 2 gigs ram are not too awesome - but capable at my lower FSX settings

Man what I would give to fly these in an FSX Mig Alley!!

wilycoyote4
November 6th, 2008, 08:19
:medals: :medals: Thanks to all posters. Thanks for the update. All seems well. There seems to be a slight improvement in fps over my previous cfg.

I have not used a batch file to convert textures so this was a new learning process. I do like it. I hope I can do it for other projects. Much to learn.

I think it is amazing this portover does so well in FSX SP2 Accel.

heywooood
November 6th, 2008, 18:07
I love this plane - what a great gift from the SectionF86 crew

wilycoyote4
November 6th, 2008, 18:32
I love this plane - what a great gift from the SectionF86 crew
How do I get those clouds?

heywooood
November 6th, 2008, 18:52
if you download the FTX Demo - there are two (2) weather themes that come with it - 'Orbx weather 1' and 'Orbx weather 2'

those clouds are in 'Orbx weather 1' but both of those themes are really great.

I also use 'reduced cloud textures' at 256bit instead of the default 512 - otherwise clouds kill my FPS

wilycoyote4
November 6th, 2008, 19:18
if you download the FTX Demo - there are two (2) weather themes that come with it - 'Orbx weather 1' and 'Orbx weather 2'

those clouds are in 'Orbx weather 1' but both of those themes are really great.

I also use 'reduced cloud textures' at 256bit instead of the default 512 - otherwise clouds kill my FPS

Got'em from the Australian demo, but how to get the 256 bit clouds.

heywooood
November 6th, 2008, 19:25
http://www.savefile.com/files/146259

reduced clouds

there is also one called 'reduced trees' and I could not get the FPS I am getting without these two files...and you really don't even notice the difference..infact I think the reduced clouds have a better look about them...more misty looking maybe

wilycoyote4
November 6th, 2008, 19:43
downloading now, will test clouds and trees, my pc can use the help, thanks much, cheers,

heywooood
November 6th, 2008, 19:59
Dude - let me know your results...I think you will be pleased - I couldnt get good frames even in 'fair' weather before...now I get good FPS even in storms.

Those files were pivotal for me on this rig and saved me from an early upgrade... I can now hold out until neoqb releases RoF and 1c gets SoW out the door.

But do remember to back up your texture folder before you run those files - just incase you dont like them (not likely but better to be safe...)

wilycoyote4
November 6th, 2008, 20:15
Dude - let me know your results...I think you will be pleased - I couldnt get good frames even in 'fair' weather before...now I get good FPS even in storms.

Those files were pivotal for me on this rig and saved me from an early upgrade... I can now hold out until neoqb releases RoF and 1c gets SoW out the door.

But do remember to back up your texture folder before you run those files - just incase you dont like them (not likely but better to be safe...)

I have no idea what you mean, lol, oh well, probably don't need to know.

Backup certainly, will check on fps.

heywooood
November 6th, 2008, 21:09
Wiley?

Rise of Flight from neoqb...soon to be released WW1 combat flight sim..

you don't have their freeware Dr1 Triplane yet ? 'tis freeware

http://www.neoqb.com/fokker/ <-----get it please

or Storm of War: Battle of Brittain

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/91/1/Storm_of_War_Battle_of_Britain.html

or check out the banana republic:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=2040

well get ready for next year and a whole lot of airwar simulation

heywooood
November 6th, 2008, 21:27
heres a shot of the Dr1

wilycoyote4
November 6th, 2008, 21:47
Thanks for help on trees and clouds. Did my first flight in the F-86 with full cloud draw distance, full clouds in a thunderstorm, then dived down in the same storm for on the deck with trees at max autogen at just over 500 KIAS.

Yes, the appearance isn't noticable and the fps are up, clearly improved. Such a flight in the F-86 would have been a slide show with a stutter every now and then lasting a second, or even 2 seconds, so my first test flight is a celebration.

I'll have to catch up on the other programs but this thread will be for the Saber.

I remain convinced that this Saber is amazing in FSX SP2 Accel and now I've improved fps again. Stunning. :ernae:

ananda
November 8th, 2008, 09:06
Hi Björn,

I followed your instructions in "SectionF8 F-86 Sabre interim FSX upgrade revision 1.1" religiously but find I am missing the following textures:

F86JVIN.DDS
F86JV_RECTPARTS.DDS
FRAMES2.DDS
GLAS_VCMID.DDS

There are f86jv_glas_vcmid.dds and f86jv_frames2.dds in texture.shared but not those mentioned above.

George

Bjoern
November 8th, 2008, 11:19
I followed your instructions in "SectionF8 F-86 Sabre interim FSX upgrade revision 1.1" religiously but find I am missing the following textures:

F86JVIN.DDS
F86JV_RECTPARTS.DDS
FRAMES2.DDS
GLAS_VCMID.DDS

There are f86jv_glas_vcmid.dds and f86jv_frames2.dds in texture.shared but not those mentioned above.

If the model is displaying correctly, I would stop worrying about those textures.
I've never seen or heard of those textures before and never got any reports about them missing (even from Jan). They weren't included in the original installation package as well (can't check though; I'm 270kms away from FSX right now).

heywooood
November 8th, 2008, 12:40
Bjoern - this plane seems to have an interesting effect.

there is a transient 'gleam' or 'shine' element that moves across the polished aluminium exterior of the jet at regular intervals (about every 6-8 seconds or so) - it looks very realistic - but I think it causes a slight stutter on my mid-range rig...and might also be responsible for some of the terrain texture loss I am experiencing with this plane as it appears to come at a slight penalty in FPS as an extra 'draw call'

Is this possible ?

and can the effect be canceled - or is it built in to the model?

jankees
November 9th, 2008, 05:31
Wow, it works just great in FSX on my laptop, even with smoke!
What a brilliant model! I only have a feeling that the shine is a bit brighter in FSX, I may have to tone down the alpha a bit.
I didn't convert to dds textures btw, wouldn't know why?

Bjoern
November 9th, 2008, 10:37
Is this possible ?

Nyet. It's a model feature.

Javis
November 9th, 2008, 15:40
I only have a feeling that the shine is a bit brighter in FSX, I may have to tone down the alpha a bit.

That won't work, Jan Kees, that's 'specular highlighting' you see there, baked into the model, not into the textures ( that's 'reflectivity' and is already pretty low ) Just wait til i'm done with the native FSX version... :d

Groeten,
Jan

heywooood
November 9th, 2008, 15:52
I guess I keep forgetting that this is an Fs9 model :kilroy:

I just dont want to fly anything else - you guys have changed the game so much with this Sabre :ernae:

azflyboy
November 11th, 2008, 18:28
Bjoern,

Thanks for taking the time to put together the conversion files for the Sabre. I just now got around to installing the F-86, and not only is the aircraft itself a true work of art, but the converter is an excellent time saver.

That said, I'm running into a couple of problems that have me stumped, so I was hoping someone here could help me (and yes, I have ****).

For some odd reason, the speedbrakes seem to go haywire every time I use them. If I input either a joystick (button or slider, it doesn't matter) command or hit the / key, the speedbrakes will start opening and closing on their own in an endless loop, and there seems to be no way to stop them.
I've tried un-assigning the speedbrakes from my joystick to see if that was the problem, but hitting the / key results in the exact same thing happening, so I don't think this is a hardware issue.

Watching from the VC or 2d throttle panel, the speedbrake switch on the throttle never moves while this is happening, but the emergency speedbrake control is moving in sync with the speedbrakes, and trying to click or drag it also does nothing.

I have discovered that if I go into the 2d panel and set the speedbrake switch on the throttle to the "in" position, the brakes will close and stay there, but as soon as I set the switch back to the neutral position, they start the open-close cycle again.

It appears that whatever is causing this is just affecting the visual model, since the aircraft seems to respond to the speedbrake command I gave it, regardless of the fact that the brakes are flapping around in the visual model, or stuck closed if I do that.

Finally, it looks like some of the textures for the top of the right hand console are missing. I see the most of radio controls there, but the underlying texture looks like it's just the 3d model, since some of the radios are missing their underlying textures. I tried re-intalling the Sabre and conversion pack, but that area always ends up missing some textures, so I'm stumped.

Pips
November 12th, 2008, 00:34
I'm still holding off on installing the FS9 model - would rather wait for the true FSX F-86. Mind you it's getting harder and harder given all the glowing tributes for the work on the F-86.

I don't think I've seen another aircraft - payware or freeware - generate this much interest and excitement. :applause::applause:

jeansy
November 12th, 2008, 02:30
I'm still holding off on installing the FS9 model - would rather wait for the true FSX F-86. Mind you it's getting harder and harder given all the glowing tributes for the work on the F-86.

I don't think I've seen another aircraft - payware or freeware - generate this much interest and excitement. :applause::applause:

looks like i will have to hold onto the the AS sabre till this baby come comes out

Bjoern
November 12th, 2008, 06:27
Bjoern,

Thanks for taking the time to put together the conversion files for the Sabre. I just now got around to installing the F-86, and not only is the aircraft itself a true work of art, but the converter is an excellent time saver.

Thanks!

Finally, it looks like some of the textures for the top of the right hand console are missing. I see the most of radio controls there, but the underlying texture looks like it's just the 3d model, since some of the radios are missing their underlying textures. I tried re-intalling the Sabre and conversion pack, but that area always ends up missing some textures, so I'm stumped.

The radios do show up okay though, right?

I just checked the original FS9 package for some possibly overlooked textures.
Couldn't find any, so it must be a model issue. No worries.
As far as I've seen it is hardly noticable in everyday operations anyways.

Maybe Jan will donate an interim model fixing this, but every fix of the FS9 model delays the FSX model a bit more.
It's just a matter of knowing your priorities. ;) :d

jankees
November 12th, 2008, 08:27
Just wait til i'm done with the native FSX version... :d

Groeten,
Jan

You mean it's going to look even better???
Oh wow! I may even read the manual then...
Here's my first attempt at repainting the Sabre: "Eight ball express", making shameless use of the default textures. Still, not too bad I think. I'll manage this Photoshop yet...this is what it looks like in FSX, FS9 broke down....

azflyboy
November 12th, 2008, 08:55
The radios do show up okay though, right?

I just checked the original FS9 package for some possibly overlooked textures.

Maybe Jan will donate an interim model fixing this, but every fix of the FS9 model delays the FSX model a bit more.
It's just a matter of knowing your priorities. ;) :d

To be honest, I noticed the missing textures (or whatever it is) pretty much by accident, but they result in the upper radios (those closest to the instrument panel) just appearing as dark semicircles with a dark circle in the middle of them on a grey background.

Whatever is causing it, the issue doesn't affect how the F-86 flies, and if I need access to the radios, I can just call up the 2d panel, so this is something that really doesn't need a fix.

Any ideas on why the speedbrakes are going haywire on me?

Javis
November 12th, 2008, 17:17
To make the radios turn up properly in your FSX VC is just a matter of replacing the minus params with a 0 (zero). Seems FSX doesn't like minus coords for its VC gauges.

Here's a list of which gauges are effected in [Vcockpit01] section :

gauge20=SF8_F86!LightAlternateVC, 958,0,67,67 // FS9 958,-3,67,67
gauge28=SF8_F86!ANRadioCOM1, 0,0,270,135 // FS9 -1,-2,270,135
gauge30=SF8_F86!ANRadioNAV1, 0,136,270,135 // FS9 -3,136,270,135
gauge31=SF8_F86!ANRadioSIF, 0,336,270,108 // FS9 -2,336,270,108

Use this to adapt the params in your Sabre's panel.cfg and you'll have your radios back.

Hansi is looking into the speed brakes problem some of you are having . Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Jan

jankees
November 12th, 2008, 21:20
Here's yet another repaint, Col Tice's "Elsie"

Bjoern
November 13th, 2008, 10:50
If so, I wonder whether you have version 1.0 or 1.1 of the upgrade, azflyboy. If it's version 1.1, the fixed panel.cfg should already be included...

- Edit: FYI, I got permission from Jan to make the "upgrade" public. Just uploaded it to Avsim, SOH'ers will have to wait - need to get access to the upload area first.

Pepere
November 13th, 2008, 17:13
Another upgrade for the FSX peoples.....

http://library.avsim.net/whatsnew.php?Sort=Name

David

Bjoern
November 14th, 2008, 08:18
Another upgrade for the FSX peoples.....

http://library.avsim.net/whatsnew.php?Sort=Name

Umm yes, that would be "my" upgrade.

Filename on Avsim is "sf8f-86fsxup.zip".

About to upload it here.

Bjoern
November 14th, 2008, 10:40
Just uploaded to SOH. Have a nice weekend!

Note: As of now, the upgrade won't be avaiable from my webspace anymore, since its avaiable on Avsim and SOH now.

simflier292
December 3rd, 2008, 09:52
I installed in FSX, using Jan Visser's FSX Update (sf8f-86fsxup),
but the canopy glass and landing gear textures don't show.
Anything I can do?:redf:

Bjoern
December 4th, 2008, 04:50
Jan isn't directly involved in the update.

I take you did read the readme thoroughly and followed all the steps.
In that case, the only thing I could recommend is trying the whole procedure again.

simflier292
December 4th, 2008, 09:19
Ok, I'll re-install the update and see what happens.:jump:

Bjoern
December 4th, 2008, 12:38
Okay.

Make sure to report in again in any case! :mixedsmi:

flyinJeff
January 20th, 2009, 12:53
I have an interesting problem.

I started out "bare;" I did not have the Sabre installed at all when I found your FSX Fix. I installed the Sabre as per your instructions, to the letter and then implemented your fix. The Sabre shows up but white! Nothing, no paint, no skin, no anything!

So, I uninstalled the whole mess (naturally thinking it was my screw up, which it probably still is) and then tried it two other times to no avail!

I still have no textures at all.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jeff

Roger
January 20th, 2009, 12:55
I have an interesting problem.

I started out "bare;" I did not have the Sabre installed at all when I found your FSX Fix. I installed the Sabre as per your instructions, to the letter and then implemented your fix. The Sabre shows up but white! Nothing, no paint, no skin, no anything!

So, I uninstalled the whole mess (naturally thinking it was my screw up, which it probably still is) and then tried it two other times to no avail!

I still have no textures at all.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jeff

That will because you have "Dx10 Preview" checked. In general Fs9 aircraft do not show textures in Dx10 mode.

Pips
January 20th, 2009, 20:58
So all I need to make this work in FSX is to d/load the original FS9 'base pack' from the SectionF8 site and add Bjoern's update sf8f-86fsxup.zip from Avsim?

Do I also need to d.load the Sevice Pack 1 and Skins Pack? Cheers. :)

flyinJeff
January 21st, 2009, 02:12
That will because you have "Dx10 Preview" checked. In general Fs9 aircraft do not show textures in Dx10 mode.

Beautiful! That worked! I would have never thought to check for that in a million years! Thanks!!

Cazzie
January 21st, 2009, 07:37
I just get such terrible frame rates with port overs. The Section8 Sabre has to be the epitome of freeware FS9 aircraft, it is going to be something dynamic once done with spectral and bump textures I net.

Screens from FS9.

Caz

Bjoern
January 21st, 2009, 08:09
Do I also need to d.load the Sevice Pack 1 and Skins Pack? Cheers. :)

If you want, you can get the official skin pack as well. I've included it in the conversion batch files.

The general procedure would be:

1. Download the Sabre, (download the skin pack,) download SP1, download the upgrade
2. Install the Sabre, (install the skin pack)
3. Apply SP1
4. Perform upgrade

Pips
January 21st, 2009, 13:04
Thanks Bjoern. :)

Bjoern
January 21st, 2009, 14:47
No problem! :ernae:

blkbart
March 2nd, 2011, 15:01
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> After a layoff of a few years, I recently got back into flying simulations and discovered the Section 8 F-86. When I figure out to install it properly, it should be a lot of fun. In the meantime, I have come up short on getting the VC cockpit to display properly. I can see outside and can also see the flight instruments, stick, throttle quadrant, and communication and navigation radios. The rest of the panel and the canopy frame are dead black rendering the display pretty much unusable.

I am using Microsoft Flight Sim X and installing into Windows 7-64bit. By now, I have spent probably 8 hours or more attempting various iterations of install methods. There seems to be two fixes out there to provide a clean install of the Sabre into Sim X. The first, by Jan Visser (sf86fx_fixup.zip), seems straightforward to install but gives me the “black cockpit”. The other fix by Bjoern Kesten (sf86fsxup.zip) is a bit more complicated. I have used the “Section 8 Sabre Interim FSX upgrade revision 1.1a” instructions to no avail. Each attempt has resulted in the F-86 not being listed in the available aircraft to choose from in the simulator program.

I have dug through all of the information I can find in the forums available in the Section 8 website, the sim-outhouse website, and the Avsim website. There is no doubt in my mind that I am misinterpreting information provided in the fixes that these gentlemen have made available because others have not had the same problem that I have.

Many of the posts on the forums are quite old—I hope someone is out there that might be willing to help me find a way to install this very fine aircraft successfully.

Javis
March 2nd, 2011, 17:07
Did you install Sabre Service Pack1, blkbart ? If not here it is :

http://fsfiles.org/PA/uploads/sf86efu1.zip

Please overwrite the files from 'sf86fsx_fixup.zip' with the files found in this zip. Check they go in the correct folders because this service pack originally is for FS9.

Good Luck! ( sorry for the trouble it has givin you... :redface: )

cheers,
jan

blkbart
March 4th, 2011, 05:42
Thanks for your reply to my plea for help. As it turned out, the black cockpit problem was fixed inadvertently after I discovered that there were two service packs available for Microsoft Flight Sim X---SP1 and SP2. After installing them, I went back to the F-86 and was shocked to see that it worked perfectly! The only anomaly I see is the black reticle that I see has been addressed before. At any rate, the F-86 is a joy to fly and I have spent a few hours in the local area flying closed patterns looking for that perfect approach and landing.

As an aside, flying your airplane is a bit of a coming home for me because I first came in contact with the airplane when I was 9 years old in 1953. At that time, my father was still in the United States Air Force serving as a maintenance officer for the Air Defense Command F-86D stationed at George Air Force Base near Victorville, California. This is just a few miles from Edwards Air Force base where the famous Chuck Yeager and the other test pilots were flying all the latest jet airplanes. The F-86D shared the skies with a Wing of F-51s whose pilots were transitioning to the F-86F day fighter assigned to the Tactical Air Command.

I remember very well the numerous sonic booms that occurred during the day as the newly-transitioned pilots would return from a training sortie and dive the airplane before landing. We lived on base, and my mother was not always happy replacing the dishes broken by these "booms". Other residents had windows broken. No one complained too loudly because this was "The Sound of Freedom".

Years later, I got a little taste of the F-86 when as an air force pilot I flew the T-39 Sabreliner. It featured the slatted wing just like the F-86E/F and was equipped with a speed brake. We were told it was essentially the F-86 wing. With passengers onboard, we flew the aircraft rather sedately but on training sorties it was a pretty hot airplane! A favorite trick was to configure the airplane for landing and bring it in high and side-slip it to bring it down to the normal glide path.

Thanks again for bringing me home....

Sam Barrick

Javis
March 4th, 2011, 17:18
Good to know you've got rid of the faulty VC, Sam, and thanks for the story ! Always great to hear a RW pilot can still enjoy flying a virtual plane. :cool:

Yes, there seems to be no simple cure for that pesky black reticle at the moment. A native FSX model is in the works currently so that'll be one of the things that will be fixed.

Wonderful to know that you flew the T-39 ! It is rather unlikely that, with our ongoing FS Sabre project, we'll ever get as far as to start rounding up scale drawings of the Sabreliner but *if* we do i hope you don't mind if i come knocking on your cockpit door. :)

It's no T-39 surely but i hope you have a lot of fun flying our F-86, Sam !

Cheers,
Jan

blkbart
March 4th, 2011, 18:24
Thanks. I am having fun with it. It is a kick trying to fly a successful flameout pattern and landing with it.

ColoKent
March 4th, 2011, 18:27
....is if you remove the smoke effect. It made a HUGE difference on my rig. I'm talking here about the F-86 with the FSX patch.

I'd love to see the smoke too, but this is one of my favorite three or four airplanes in FSX (The VS F9F Pantherjet is another of my favorites).

Kent

skyblazer3
March 4th, 2011, 18:54
Kent,

The smoke from the F9F Panther is pretty nice (not as nice as the F-86 smoke) and it does not cause a frame-hit.

The Sabre smoke seems to be coded in a sophisticated (and difficult to find) XML gauge. This gauge, which I can't find, turns on and off certain light-effects which are actually linked to the smoke and engine exhaust effects in the aircraft.cfg.

What I've done to get more frame-rate friendly smoke is to replace the SF8 smoke with the Panther smoke in the aircraft.cfg. This really is not ideal, because it removes the flame effects, and it negates the different intensity of smoke at different RPM levels. It does, however, provide nice smoke without a frame hit. It looks something like this under the [lights] section of the aircraft.cfg:

light.8= 6, -19.10, 0.068, -0.02, fx_VS_F9F_engsmoke //fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Orange // JR 60% N2 flame and smoke
light.9= 8, -18.50, 0.068, -0.02, fx_VS_F9F_engsmoke //fx_SF86_TotalXaust_max_Blue_B // JR 77% N2 flame and smoke
light.10=9, -17.90, 0.068, -0.02, fx_VS_F9F_engsmoke //fx_SF86_TotalXaust_low_Orange // JR 90% N2 flame and smoke

I think this might be the best we can do until SectionF8 re-codes the smoke and flame effects into the new FSX format. I don't think it is a difficult process, but it is just a little beyond me.

I really really like the original SF8 smoke and flame effects, they look wonderful.... but as I usually fly the Sabre in a 4 ship on multiplayer -- I need all the frames I can get, so this solution works for now.

@Jan,

It's great to know that you guys are still pressing forward on the FSX Native Sabre. If you need any help with testing -- I can devote some time to it. Good luck to you on the Sabre project, and everything going on at MAAM-sim. Thanks again for all of your work on this piece of great art -- it is art because of the skill and mastery of those who crafted it.
:salute::salute:

Chris

blkbart
March 5th, 2011, 13:09
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> This one has to do with instrument lighting in the VC cockpit for night flying. I know where the switch should be and what it looks like by having referred to the instrument panel reference "special clickspots and mouseover areas". I have used the keyboard commands "Shift-Enter/Return" and "Shift-Backspace" to bring the panel view down but I cannot get it down far enough to see the switch which remains covered by the black shield that runs along the base of the canopy. I have also passed the mouse pointer over the entire area near the switch to see if I could find the clickspot and that has not worked either.

I installed sf86fsx_fixup.zip and overwrote those files with those found in sf86efu1.zip without making any modifications.

I haven't seen this problem described elsewhere so the "fix" is probably something simple or obvious or both. If I have screwed up let me know--I can take it!

Easy Flier
April 27th, 2011, 14:10
I'm still unsure how to fix glass in cockpit of some retextures in the F-86. I have attached a few pics. Can see in not out, other textures have clear cockpit glass....

Roger
April 27th, 2011, 15:20
It looks like an alpha issue. Darken the alpha channel and all should be well.

Easy Flier
April 27th, 2011, 16:09
It looks like an alpha issue. Darken the alpha channel and all should be well.

Can you tell me where,how as to marbled glass????
Thanks