PDA

View Full Version : 'A Reminder Of The Days Of "SAC"...'

Panther_99FS
June 7th, 2009, 08:44
We still have quite a few of these on base...

tigisfat
June 7th, 2009, 10:37
Those aren't relics at every base. I can think of a handful of bases that still have a rapid response capability. These days, it's a little more high tech; we get pagers or blackberries. Hey, there's a question for an experienced comm guy. How can secure messages be secure when going to a blackberry or big old-fashioned pager? I just want the public answer. The blackberries, I'm told, are connected to SIPRnet, and I can get email on them. I know that virtually every government agency in the civilized world has secure wireless communications, but is that all there is to it?

waco
June 7th, 2009, 10:38
That brings back memories of my SAC days. Alert crews and crewcab Dodges. Alert crews jumping to the head of the line in the BX. Two man rule on aircraft on the alert pad. Underground facilities at the alert area. My first assignment out of tech school was SAC and Curtis Lemay was in charge. That was 1957. Damn, over fifty years ago. Oh, and the strategic bomber was the B-47.

Panther_99FS
June 7th, 2009, 10:50
How can secure messages be secure when going to a blackberry or big old-fashioned pager? I just want the public answer. The blackberries, I'm told, are connected to SIPRnet, and I can get email on them. I know that virtually every government agency in the civilized world has secure wireless communications, but is that all there is to it?

Classified communications & secure communications are 2 different beasts. PKI is one enabler of "secure" communications to which both government & civilian agencies/companies use.

(For detailed information, talk to Comm outside the public forum arena)

Panther_99FS
June 7th, 2009, 10:59
=Oh, and the strategic bomber was the B-47.

We have one on static display here :mixedsmi:

Navy Chief
June 7th, 2009, 11:00
Years ago, I remember seeing something similar at NAS Dobbins, Atlanta....

NC

waco
June 7th, 2009, 13:31
Before Jimmy Stewart got promoted to Brigadier General, he flew the B-47 as a Bird Colonel in his movie Strategic Air Command. And crashed in Greenland, I believe. (In the movie.)

b52bob
June 7th, 2009, 16:44
Brings back a lot of old memories - like the lines at the PX, the International crew cabs, dumping and loading water during the winter, washing those beasts on alert, deicing on the cherry pickers, the pool room, the library, and pretty good food.

Bob

tigisfat
June 7th, 2009, 16:48
...........and pretty good food.

The USAF hasn't served me any good food as long as I've been in. :bump:

The RAF has fed me pretty well, though. They really know how to throw an event. The food that the RAF catered for RIAT last year was incredible.:applause:

waco
June 8th, 2009, 06:02
In January back in the early seventies, we were TDY to Eilson AFB at Fairbanks, Alaska. I remember one supper at the chow hall waiters came to the tables and there was a choice of either steak or King Crab. And the decor inside almost made you feel like you were in plush civilian restaurant....if you hadn't been sitting in your uniform. I was astonished. I went for the crab. You didn't see that stateside in the chow halls.

aeromed202
June 8th, 2009, 07:12
Close Waco. He had a nil-vis landing in Japan in the B-47 and crashed a B-36. Couldn't help it, one of my favorite movies, and two aircrafts.

waco
June 8th, 2009, 08:49
I don't remember the B-36, AM202, in the movie. But I sure remember the real ones. Spent some time working on 'em, besides the B-47, in New Mexico before the B-52's became operational.

Panther_99FS
June 8th, 2009, 12:05
waco,
When I was stationed at NAS Keflavik, the USAF had a very nice (if small) chow hall on the far end of the flight line.....The food was so good there that they were getting crowded & told folks that their shops could only eat there 1 day a week......:bump:

waco
June 8th, 2009, 19:08
Panther,
Never made it that far north up the Atlantic coast. Only got as far north as Goose Bay. Food there wasn't anything to brag about, altho we did have a fancy 7 story barracks dormitory with 3 elevators. :applause: Usually only two of them were running at one time.

Odie
June 10th, 2009, 10:51
Mr. P, is there anything left of Bossier Base on the backside of Barksdale? It's been decades but there used to be the front gates were all that was left standing.

jmig
June 10th, 2009, 11:17
That brings back memories of my SAC days. Alert crews and crewcab Dodges. Alert crews jumping to the head of the line in the BX. Two man rule on aircraft on the alert pad. Underground facilities at the alert area. My first assignment out of tech school was SAC and Curtis Lemay was in charge. That was 1957. Damn, over fifty years ago. Oh, and the strategic bomber was the B-47.

I can remember jumping in the trucks and speed shifting the floor shifters, well TRYING to speed shift :), as we went barreling Keystone Cops style to the airplanes.

I remember going to church Sunday, I was a lector and sometime had to read while on alert, wearing my greenbag with the radio in the pocket. I would wonder how I would look running off the altar area and down the main isle if the klazon went off. I knew it would be the real thing, if it did go off because, it NEVER went off on Sunday.

GT182
June 10th, 2009, 12:37
There is still a B-47 and an F-111 on display at the old Plattsburgh Air Force Base. Even to it was a SAC base, there is no B-52 to be seen at all. The flightline part of the base is now civilian and commercial. And I believe all the bunkers are still there too.