PDA

View Full Version : Say a Prayer Tonight...

gera
June 6th, 2009, 14:28
June 6, 1944....D-DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's all say a prayer for those who fought in the beaches on France 66 years ago so we could have the Freedom we have today......May they rest in Peace in the presence of our Lord.........Thanks guys!!! Gracias!!!:kilroy:

BananaBob
June 6th, 2009, 14:36
Yeah, been doing it off and on all day, greatest generation ever, never forget them. :medals::medals:

Roger
June 6th, 2009, 15:02
My thoughts have been on D Day today and on all those who died during that first step to the liberation of Europe from that most dreadful oppression.

Quicksand
June 6th, 2009, 15:13
God bless them, every one.... and may we always remember..:medals::medals:

RudiJG1
June 6th, 2009, 15:15
I get chills every time I think about that day and what they went through on the beach. :canada::unitedstates::unitedkingdom:

limjack
June 6th, 2009, 15:19

Let's all say a prayer for those who fought in the beaches on France 66 years ago so we could have the Freedom we have today......May they rest in Peace in the presence of our Lord.........Thanks guys!!! Gracias!!!:kilroy:

Amen

Jim

harleyman
June 6th, 2009, 15:32
In my thoughts as well.......:medals:

EgoR64
June 6th, 2009, 15:33
:engel016:

Salute, to all who Perished !! :medals:

dennison
June 6th, 2009, 16:07
I don't post often, but could not resist.

I can only echo all the previous postings here.

They made the ultimate sacrifice in many cases. They deserve to at least be a memory once a year.

Perhaps we should also consider present day forces UK /US and others who cotinue to give their lives in the fight for what most of us think is right. Just as the HERO's of D-DAY did.

It's just my opinion of course.

papab
June 6th, 2009, 16:34

Just returned from a Rehab that my 87 year old Mother is in located in Melbourne ,Fl.
Spent sometime today talking with a guy in the Rehab named "Jim". He is now 88 years old and on this day 65 years ago he was in the first wave of tanks that came ashore in Omaha Beach. Speaking with him sent chills up my spine as to what he and the others faced that morning so long ago....

I looked into ths eyes and gave him a hand shake and explained how proud I was to meet him and to be able to say thank you for a job well done.

With a tear in his eye he said "Thank you Rick"

God Bless Jim and all the other souls living and deceased who gave their all on that gray morning so long ago...

Rick B.

MudMarine
June 6th, 2009, 17:10
Guess I'm a thankful type of person; I start each day with a remembrance prayer. I give thanks for the day and my liberty provided for me because veterans died defending our nation. I don't think one day goes by I don't think of my friends who died.........:USA-flag:

Mâra Trilokadev
June 6th, 2009, 17:21
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

http://www.rsa.org.nz/involved/gfx/wound_sml.jpg

The image lends quite a reminder that the little red poppies on a person's lapel have a more profound meaning than mere holiday accessories.

MT

VFR Reviews
June 6th, 2009, 18:01
Just one poem which always touches me... doesn't pertain particularly to D-Day, but somehow it always touches me...

http://www.maxair2air.com/WEB%20MEDIA/PLANE%20PROFILES/B-17/Sentimental-Journey-1.jpg

Tribute to the Queen

<o:p></o:p>
From Guadalcanal and the Phillipines at the start of WW2
to the hostile skies of Europe, thru miles of flak she flew.
At home at thirty thousand, majestic as a Queen,
a silver bird flown by men, many in their teens.
She carried war to the tyrants lair, to keep all nations free;
she flew thru flak and flame, as far as eye could see.
She slugged it out with Hitler’s best, brought her dead and wounded home.
Damaged and with engines out, it was often times alone.
Born of war but seeking peace, she carried valiant men
into the very jaws of death, and brought them home again.
Berlin, Frankfurt and countless others, courageous daylight raids,
and only God in Heaven knows the awesome price she paid.
She met death at 30,000, or on a tree top run.
A victim of ack-ack shell or Luftwaffe fighters gun.
Like all the men who flew her, for peace and hope she yearned.
But too often mission boards would read, “Failure to Return.”
Often plane and crew went down in a hostile place.
Others were missing in action and lost without a trace.
Her era’s in the past but the history that she’s made
must always be remembered and never be betrayed.
Generations have come and gone; enjoyed their hopes and dreams,
yet never paused in gratitude to this aging Silver Queen.
And the men who flew her, Heroes everyone,
Who stood between our nations shores and the tyrants mighty guns.
Yes, she’s tired and weary, a little aged and worn,
but she fought and bought their freedom, before most of them were born.
And we who still remember Tojo and Hitler’s dreams
Stand a little prouder…..
In the presence of the Queen.
Ivan Fail

noshadez
June 6th, 2009, 18:05
ThankX Gera..With Hitler = no freedom.. With 17-19 year olds mostly on that day= (FREEDOM) Thanks 17-19 year olds who never got to have a life or family so the rest of us do..:medals:

X_eidos2
June 6th, 2009, 18:30
D-Day isn't just an American moment. My mother's cousin was a member of the North Novas regiment (Canada) and he was killed by a sniper during the liberation of Caen. For our family, WW2 is still a personal matter and not just a page in a history book.

If you want to honor a veteran, follow their example. Be willing to do the right thing even though it costs you something.

HenryW
June 7th, 2009, 01:42
The "operation Overlord" was a well planned and sucsessfull invasion to the french shores that costed, compared to other battles, very few lives. Of the 156.000 who came ashore the 6th june, only 2500 lost their life. Thats about 1,6 prosent. Afterwards all went wrong. Bernard Law Montgomery Planned to take Caen the first night, but it took about 30 days. The americans should have breaked out within 14 days, but took 7 weeks. The battle for Normandie ended in the decisive battle of Falaise which costed more than 230 000 german casualties and about 200 000 allied.

Sure the D-day contributed to the Allies vitory over Nazi-Germany, but according to some historians the mayor decisive battles where on the eastern front where the red army was the mayor contributor. For example it is widely "forgotten" that the Battle of Kursk 1943 and the summer offensive in Bellorussia 1944 was more important for the course of the war than the D-day. All in all it is regarded that about 11 million sovjets was killed in WW2. Thats about 22 million father and mothers who had to mourn over their loss of 17 to 20 year old son's that was leaded by a madman.

Compared to other great battles the D-day look more like skirmishes.

The battle of Bellorussia, Smolensk and Moskow 1941 took about 1,6 millions, the battle of Stalingrad winter 1942-43 about 973.000, the siege of Leningrad 900.000, Kiev 1941 about 650.000, Operation Bagration 1944, 450 000,The battle of Kursk 1943 340.000, Berlin 1945 250.000.

Anyhow, must all the young soldiers rest in peace :engel016:

gajit
June 7th, 2009, 01:49
I dont pray as I dont believe but I walked upon what is left of Tarrant Rushton airfield in Dorset with Barneys my retriever and thought of all those brave lads who boarded the gliders.

I could only express my gratitute with a tear as the larks sung. They deserve more.

huub vink
June 7th, 2009, 02:03
Anyhow, must all the young soldiers rest in peace :engel016:

And when I may add something tot that; Old men should be wiser and should not need young soldiers to settle their conflicts.

For some insight about the real relations between the Allied forces:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Unthinkable

Cheers,
Huub

Lionheart
June 7th, 2009, 06:40
I salute them..

May their souls rest in peace.

My prayers go out to them.

<-- I believe, I know.. and I pray.

Ian Warren
June 7th, 2009, 06:44
I m not into religion , god , faith , and maybe the fact is so many other people on this forum feel the same , But we see so many brilliant works that remind us , in our Flightsim hobby follow the league's of people who fought , have long been remembered before this day and be remembered again , the paints or skins if you like , will require research , this leads to the learning of the aircraft , the person from who's ever side .. the History

Without all this .. this Forum , History is brought back to life and i'm sure the many would approve . :medals:

A simple Salute to all

Headwind
June 7th, 2009, 06:58
My grandfather fought in WWII and passed away about 2 months ago. There is a short story to his last year or so with us that you might like to hear. He had finally been consumed with alzheimers at 83 years of age and could barely remember anyone in the family. However he had reverted to his younger years and according to doctors he was somewhere around 18 again. He remembered everything about the war as he was apparently living it again. People, names, and places came up that nobody had ever heard him discuss but were real. My uncle went back and had all his records pulled and come to find out my grandfather was decorated and had 2 purple hearts on top of everything else that nobody in the family including my father who is the oldest son knew about. Its heartbreaking to see us lose more and more vets everyday and only a select group of people seem to notice. :icon29:

CBris
June 7th, 2009, 07:31
I had relatives fighting on both sides and I know how my German grandparents, aunts and all felt about losing a son, brother, cousin... On the Eglish side, both grandfather and step-father lived through the war and there were no casualties. But both families were affected.

When I think back to remember the war dead, I also remember those on the "other side" because most were just doing a job, following orders.

And I remember friends, for whom I have had to "polish my boots" in some of the little "warlets" that have happened since, which I lived through, while they didn't.

And I will remember the "enemies" that have been killed before, on and since D-Day. I will remember because I am alive to do so.

And if any of my actions brought harm to an "enemy" because machines I fixed were used in combat, then I too have caused grief to a family somewhere and I will think of the unknown people who have suffered.

We glorify one event and all too often forget the others. No war is good or even right or necessary. But when they happen, the fighters on both sides are following their own particular rules and beliefs.

Remember them all

(There is no full stop there if you didn't notice, and that is deliberate because the sentence will remain unfinshed - sadly)

6297J
June 7th, 2009, 07:41
Uncle Sonny, Corporal, 2nd Battalion, Essex Regiment, killed 11th June 1944 aged 30, buried at Bayeux War Cemetary

Your family remember you

Bjoern
June 7th, 2009, 09:50
*A minute of silence for both sides*

May this never happen again.

dominique
June 7th, 2009, 21:02
We will ever be in debt for the US GI's, Canadian an British soldiers who died to free Europe from a most depiscable and atrocious tyranny. I brought my kids when they were young to the beaches to tell them and will do it with my grand kids if I've any.

I will however not follow today political correctness which equates good and evil. For those who served the German war machine, who killed millions of civilians in Europe in terrorist actions like shooting 40 000 (read forty thousand) Jews in Babi Yar in 2 (read two)days in 41, those who burnt alive the population a whole village in a church in center France during the allied invasion, who killed my grand father, an artist painter, and my uncle (20 years old, an apprentice locksmith) in extermination camps, the only thought I've is that they can rot in hell where they belong.

What is remarkable is that the sacrifice of the allied soldiers was not for Europe to have a better future it was for mankind to have a future. We'd better remember it today when the forces of evil are raising their ugly heads again.

warchild
June 7th, 2009, 22:51
Guess I'm a thankful type of person; I start each day with a remembrance prayer. I give thanks for the day and my liberty provided for me because veterans died defending our nation. I don't think one day goes by I don't think of my friends who died.........:USA-flag:

Thanks Mud. Me neither..

Pam Brooker
54th signal battalion tdy permiter defence force
Nha Trang, Viet Nam 69 - 70

Lionheart
June 7th, 2009, 22:57
*A minute of silence for both sides*

May this never happen again.

Amen.

bruce448
June 8th, 2009, 02:20
I remember the fallen everyday, I'm fouth generation serviceman both grandfathers died during the second world war and I'm thankful for what each and every serviceman before me has done for the free world.

Still on the matter of remembering, this was in the British papers 2nd June,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-445979/Teachers-drop-Holocaust-avoid-offending-Muslims.html

What will they not teach in schools next? English because it's not the first language of the immigrants flocking to our shores?

stovall
June 8th, 2009, 06:25
Having visited Normandy in 1998 and standing on all five beaches, the trip changed my life. The experience was just about the most emotional thing that has ever happened to me. I also visited most of the cemeteries in the area including the American Memorial and Cemetery at Omaha Beach, La Cambe and Bayeux. Knowing all these young men died for what they believed is an inspiration for our leaders to make it possible to live in peace. I memtioned La Cambe which is a German cemetery. At least when I was there, the cemetery is maintained by busing German youth there to help maintain the area. They also have an entry area that honors those buried there on a rotational basis. I recommend any and everyone see the memorials in France if at all possible.

BananaBob
June 8th, 2009, 06:55
I remember the fallen everyday, I'm fouth generation serviceman both grandfathers died during the second world war and I'm thankful for what each and every serviceman before me has done for the free world.

Still on the matter of remembering, this was in the British papers 2nd June,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-445979/Teachers-drop-Holocaust-avoid-offending-Muslims.html

What will they not teach in schools next? English because it's not the first language of the immigrants flocking to our shores?

I see things happening now that will lead to the same outcome, especially if we continue this course. History repeats itself when we as humans forget the past.

papab
June 8th, 2009, 07:47
Having visited Normandy in 1998 and standing on all five beaches, the trip changed my life. The experience was just about the most emotional thing that has ever happened to me. I also visited most of the cemeteries in the area including the American Memorial and Cemetery at Omaha Beach, La Cambe and Bayeux. Knowing all these young men died for what they believed is an inspiration for our leaders to make it possible to live in peace. I memtioned La Cambe which is a German cemetery. At least when I was there, the cemetery is maintained by busing German youth there to help maintain the area. They also have an entry area that honors those buried there on a rotational basis. I recommend any and everyone see the memorials in France if at all possible.
Tom,
My wife & I were also in Normandy in September 2001. We also walked among the graves in the American Memorial and Cemetery at Omaha Beach. As with you , this was an extremely moving experience. Walking on the beach at Omaha, looking up the hill towards the resting place of all of those young souls and trying to imagine what that day must have been like.

We also visited Point Hoch(sp) were the rangers made landfall for the first time..So moving....

We finished our trip to France and arrived home on September 10th, 2001...Who knew

papab
June 8th, 2009, 11:30
Pictures in Normandy:( Left to right top to bottom)

1,2,3,-Pointe du Hoc where the Rangers landed ,the cliffs they had to scale and whats left of a German Bunker. Bomb craters all over!

4,5- The Graveyard at Omaha Beach

6- Remaining cassions that were assembled from the beach out to the ships,as I remember several miles out!-concrete and steel.Used after the invasion to bring troops,supplies,etc. You can see several in the distance

7- Walking out to the beach at Omaha. Cold September morning.

Just would like to share....

stovall
June 8th, 2009, 12:18
Papab asked me to post a couple of pictures of my trip to Normandy so here goes.

The first in of the statue at the Memorial and Cemetery at Omaha Beach.

The second is looking at the Memorial from the Chapel.

The third is looking at the Chapel from the Memorial

The fourth is looking down Omaha Beach Easy Red Sector.

The last is of a casemate just off exit three from Omaha (East of the cemetery)

Bjoern
June 8th, 2009, 12:26
For those who served the German war machine, who killed millions of civilians in Europe in terrorist actions like shooting 40 000 (read forty thousand) Jews in Babi Yar in 2 (read two)days in 41, those who burnt alive the population a whole village in a church in center France during the allied invasion, who killed my grand father, an artist painter, and my uncle (20 years old, an apprentice locksmith) in extermination camps, the only thought I've is that they can rot in hell where they belong.

While I agree when it comes to those who were responsible for Lidice, Babi Yar and probably hundreds of other less known massacres, I have to strongly criticize the "those who served in the German war machine" part.

Only a small part of the people serving in the german armed forces were sharing the Nazi ideology, most of them were brothers, fathers, sons, lovers, fiancees, buddys, etc...normal, regular, people who were unlucky enough to be of the right age and health at the wrong time.

I would be way more insulted if any of my grandfathers had actually served in the armed forces, but one was in the fire brigade at that time and thus didn't have to see the horrors of war.
The other one was almost wasted against the advancing russians in the Volkssturm, but got rescued and hidden in a cellar by his mother.

So all I can say is: If you want to blame someone, blame the ones resplonsible and not everyone.

papab
June 8th, 2009, 13:42
Thanks for the pictures, Tom