PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Spring Event Rules and Information

MM
June 6th, 2009, 09:19
Hi all,

Here is the Spring Event for 2009. This adventure involves testing airline routes from Europe, North America, and Australia to Argentina in 1949. We'll call it Evita!

Attached are (a) a Summary, (b) the Rules, and (c) a spreadsheet with representative tests of the various aircraft capabilities.

The Summary is just that—and overview to provide some sense of the event. The Rules are much longer and detailed. (You will need to understand the Rules to participate in the event.) The spreadsheet is for your own information—but be careful to understand that the tests are not optimized.

Please take a look at these materials and report back any mistakes, typos, or, more importantly, suggestions for improvement. (We can surely make changes to make the event more enjoyable.)

We aim to start the event on Saturday, June 13, 2009. The official end is Argentina's Independence Day on July 9, 2009. (We shall grant reasonable extensions to pilots who need more time to complete the event. This is a soft deadline.)

The aim is for everyone to have fun. While there will be a "winner", the real value here is in exploring the early days of the global airlines.

Best from the 2009 Spring Event Team.
PRB, Taco, RFields, MM, Willy, Moses03
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu212/mackuen/Evita_Routes.jpg

Dangerousdave26
June 6th, 2009, 11:15
I see no place in the rules that defines Participants/Teams

So what I would like to know is...

Can we form multiple person teams for this event?

The idea would not be to duplicate RTWR rules. Simply allow Pilots to fly the legs as they can with only one pilot from the team flying at a time. Multiple consecutive legs by pilots would be allowed.

Two possibly three person Teams should be the cap.

Team Members would fly the same aircraft type in the same markings but possibly not he same paint scheme

crashaz
June 6th, 2009, 11:25
WooHoo! Great way to enjoy turning 42 next week. My puter is tuned too!

PRB
June 6th, 2009, 12:19
Dave,

We hadn't even discussed the formation of teams, but I don't see why you couldn't. I'll see what the others think, but that's my 2 cents!

Dangerousdave26
June 6th, 2009, 20:05
In the Rules Pago Pago (NTSU) should be NSTU

jt_dub
June 6th, 2009, 21:03
Ok. I'm really confused about the payload bonus.

First question. Do you have to declare in your leg post that you are seeking the maximum payload bonus to be eligable for any payload bonus for a leg?

Second Question. The rules state that MPD (Maximum Payload Delivered) is calculated by the formula: MPD = (MLW – EW – 2,000). For my ride (A2A B377) that is:

121,700-83,860-2000=35,840

When setting up the A2A B377 for a test flight I went into the load and fuel screen. I maxed the payload (passengers, supplies, & cargo) and it showed the 100% payload as 30920. There is an additional 492lbs of ADI and 1215lbs of Oil. I don't know how that figures into MPD calculation as they will be partially consumed during flight. I added sufficient fuel for my test flight and reserves. at the end of the flight the results were:

Actual Take Off Weight - Actual Landing Weight = Actual Payload Delivered

124427 -119151=35,291

Now I think I should be eligable for receiving Max Payload bonus without penalty because I delivered the 100% (30920lbs) of the passenger, supplies, and cargo capacity, and 4371 of reserve fuel. But this is less that the MPD calculated.

Jeff Williams

Kowalski65
June 7th, 2009, 12:00
What about flying boats? Clippers,Empires,Sandringhams,even PBYs, would they be allowed? (Not that I am directly thinking of using one(yet!)) The problem will be finding a suitabl;e landing spot!

Moses03
June 7th, 2009, 12:51
No flying boats or amphibs allowed for this event. The great flying boat era was winding down by 1949. Maybe something to think about for another event down the road.

The payload guys are looking into the A2A B377 issue.

salt_air
June 8th, 2009, 19:13
So where do we sign up?

Does starting the thread as described in the rules work the same as registration?....:isadizzy:

Dangerousdave26
June 8th, 2009, 19:51
Yup that should be the way it works.

While there is no official word in the rules as to what time it starts on the 13th. I look for some further explanation of the rules and some addendum's prior to the start.

MM
June 8th, 2009, 20:21
Austin,

Dave is right on both scores.

We're tweaking the rules in response to the entrants' suggestions. The main form will remain the same... Mainly, we're trying to make it more accessible to all involved.

Best,
Mike MacKuen

Highmike
June 8th, 2009, 21:11
I'm thinking that I may be the first to kick off since my time zone is just over the date line. I looked for a zulu time in the rules but couldn't find one so I figured, heck, the honour may as well be mine!

salt_air
June 9th, 2009, 04:26
Austin,

Dave is right on both scores.

We're tweaking the rules in response to the entrants' suggestions. The main form will remain the same... Mainly, we're trying to make it more accessible to all involved.

Best,
Mike MacKuen

Thanks Mike, you too Dave,

Leads me to another question(s): What about double entries,,,,suppose you and I decide on the same aircraft, airline, and route.

Also (still re-reading) : We just pick one of the described routes to fly or do we fly them all?

Curious about the team aspect too.

Gettin' kinda worked up,,,this is gonna be a good'un!

Best,

Moses03
June 9th, 2009, 04:57
salt- you just need to pick one of the four routes.

As far as the double entry issue, it would be nice to avoid but if two pilots really want to fly the DC-6B in KLM colors for example then so be it. This event is about having fun. Maybe if this happens the pilots could fly different routes to keep it interesting.

Moses

Dangerousdave26
June 9th, 2009, 09:24
Thanks Mike, you too Dave,

Leads me to another question(s): What about double entries,,,,suppose you and I decide on the same aircraft, airline, and route.

Also (still re-reading) : We just pick one of the described routes to fly or do we fly them all?

Curious about the team aspect too.

Gettin' kinda worked up,,,this is gonna be a good'un!

Best,

jkcook28 and srgalahad had to set me straight on the one route to choose also. I was planning on flying them all but was thinking how the #$%@^% are we supposed to fit them all in with only a months time to do it. :icon_lol:

I was also suffering from some other misconceptions that were cleared up by the committee. That is why I look for addendums they need to set me straight. :icon_lol:

srgalahad
June 9th, 2009, 12:24
I think a 'double entry' may be a fun spectator sport.. two Dizzy Sixes racing down the route burning galloons of gas and jockeying for the runway!..

Bring it ON!

buzzbee
June 9th, 2009, 13:35
I would like to start now!

Kowalski65
June 9th, 2009, 14:13
I think a 'double entry' may be a fun spectator sport.. two Dizzy Sixes racing down the route burning galloons of gas and jockeying for the runway!..

And it wouldn't do if one had a wheel fall off "accidently" on take off, would it:engel016:

RedGreen
June 10th, 2009, 03:44
I'm thinking that I may be the first to kick off since my time zone is just over the date line. I looked for a zulu time in the rules but couldn't find one so I figured, heck, the honour may as well be mine!

Well, I for one will plan on being an early departure as well. Since I work third shift, what better time to start this thing than just after Midnight Eastern Daylight Time on the 13th? :wiggle:

buzzbee
June 10th, 2009, 07:52
Is the start time based on UT? If so I could get underway Friday evening Local. Or is it based on the date in the departure city? (Those daring enough to fly the Australia route could get going very early.

Flyin Bull
June 10th, 2009, 09:17
I require clarification :jump:

Is the reserve fuel load of 2000lbs to remain intact on landing?

Steve

MM
June 10th, 2009, 16:05
(Steve, the answer is no.)

Let's close this thread and turn our attention to the new (v1.1) set of rules and accompanying materials.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=17646

salt_air
June 10th, 2009, 16:25
salt- you just need to pick one of the four routes.

As far as the double entry issue, it would be nice to avoid but if two pilots really want to fly the DC-6B in KLM colors for example then so be it. This event is about having fun. Maybe if this happens the pilots could fly different routes to keep it interesting.

Moses

Thanks Moses!

salt_air
June 10th, 2009, 16:30
jkcook28 and srgalahad had to set me straight on the one route to choose also. I was planning on flying them all but was thinking how the #$%@^% are we supposed to fit them all in with only a months time to do it. :icon_lol:

I was also suffering from some other misconceptions that were cleared up by the committee. That is why I look for addendums they need to set me straight. :icon_lol:

Glad to know I'm not the only one...:isadizzy:

I'm sure there will be some adjustments made, but I still gonna have a blast.

You guys come up with some of the best stuff!

Cheers,