PDA

View Full Version : Grip-The difference between pink and purple.Clean your stick!

3/7charlie
June 5th, 2009, 18:51
For the past few weeks, I have been experiencing problems with my joystick. Erratic control inputs, wandering calibration, fluttering control surfaces.Push forward and the elevators go up. I was thinking that my cheep-ass $20, 9 year old (!) logitech was crapping out. As I am currenty some distance away from any where to get a new one, and I hate flying with the keyboard, what the hey? unship the schraubenzieher, open it up and see whats going on. Suprise! No, not really. How many times have you sloshed coffee or coke on the stick.how much dirt and dust is in it? Alot.
Most game interface sticks use potentiometers or optical sensors to register movements and transmit the signals to the magic box. So, after blowing it all out with compressed air,cleaned wipers, pulling the MRC type plug used to connect the internal components and cleaning the corrosion off the pins, and a general cleaning with kimwipes (lint free) and windex, banged it back together, booted up and...just like butter. Smooth, no flutter, no messed up calibration. So. Dont trash it, try cleaning it!
Its the difference between pink and purple.

N2056
June 5th, 2009, 18:59
Hey, nice work!
I'm not the only one here that uses kimwipes! :d

Agung
June 5th, 2009, 23:34
:applause:Nice to hear that your schraubenzieher adventures were a success!

How many times have you sloshed coffee or coke on the stick.

...maybe it's because you seem to be living like a saint... no alcoholic beverages ;)

Navy Chief
June 6th, 2009, 03:39
Ah yes, but do NOT try that method on a DLP projector. I speak from experience. I had noticed spots on my drop down screen, and after cleaning the outside surface of the lens with no effect, I decided to use a can of compressed air to blow out the inside. Bad idea. Now it is much worse, and it will cost me about 200 bucks to have it professionally cleaned!!!

NC

polygoon
June 6th, 2009, 09:41
I had that Logitech stick too and found I had to clean it a lot. At first the cleaning really helped but after a couple of times I guess the stick just wore out.
I didn't even have it that long.
That's when I got myself the Saitek and never looked back...!