PDA

View Full Version : Max Script for Gmax; Scale Overwriting.

Lionheart
June 5th, 2009, 09:54
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if its possible to write a Max script for Gmax that will cause all parts to have their scale reset?

Sometimes this cannot always be done with some parts when using 'Hierarchy/Scale/Reset'. But I am wondering if its possible to have a script 'overwrite' all Scale issues.

I know nothing about writing Scripts, so I thought I would ask.

Bill

Mathias
June 5th, 2009, 10:04
Hi Bill,

that would be "reset xform" from the utilities tab.
Drawback with this one is that it also resets the pivot to world coords.
There is a more sophisticated freeware reset xform script available that keeps the pivot rotation intact, don't have the link handy though.
I had a link over at my design board at Netwings but as long as it's down you'd need to try google.
Other than that, all those tools don't like to work in hierarchies unless you make your way from the lowest part in the hierarchy up to the highest, if that makes sense.

Lionheart
June 5th, 2009, 11:47
Hi Bill,

that would be "reset xform" from the utilities tab.
Drawback with this one is that it also resets the pivot to world coords.
There is a more sophisticated freeware reset xform script available that keeps the pivot rotation intact, don't have the link handy though.
I had a link over at my design board at Netwings but as long as it's down you'd need to try google.
Other than that, all those tools don't like to work in hierarchies unless you make your way from the lowest part in the hierarchy up to the highest, if that makes sense.

Hey Mathias,

What this is for is FS9 models, taking the VC model and upscaling it 1600% to make it a super model, resetting scales, then exporting, adjust ASM file, and recompile with BGL9; (Wozza's famous trick for getting past the 4MM weld distance snag in FS9 SDK).

My issue is that many parts are not clearing, perhaps 8 parts. And that was alot of clearing with a model that is maxed out. So thats why I was wondering if a Script could be written that would clear all scales, but not touch the X-Form. This way, of course, all animation pivot points are retained.

Thanks though for the info.

I wonder if Max8 has a better ability of resetting scales or if all Max/Gmax systems are about the same power in resetting Scales..

Bill

Cerberus
June 5th, 2009, 11:55
From some reason I once had trouble getting them to clear if I had the parts parent in the hierarchy selected too. Did you try selecting just the parts one by one and then resetting?

Mathias
June 5th, 2009, 12:11
So thats why I was wondering if a Script could be written that would clear all scales, but not touch the X-Form. This way, of course, all animation pivot points are retained.

Bill

Well Bill, that's what Pen Reset Xform does for you. :-)
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/reset-xform

I wonder if Max8 has a better ability of resetting scales or if all Max/Gmax systems are about the same power in resetting Scales..

Bill

No improvements on this part in any Max version that I know of. That's why someone wrote the above script.

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
June 5th, 2009, 12:18
That also was in JJTools5 , no longer available from his site

Resets and collapses the XForm of all selected objects whilst attempting to preserve the orientation of their pivot points. Unlike the standard 'ResetXForm' button, this tool can be undone.

I have a copy of JJtools4 but it dosn't contain that script, but scriptspot still lists it http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/clever-reset-xform

There is no better way than doing it as you create the parts, never leaving a scaled object to start with is the best solution,
they will get you in the end as FS sees the bounding box of an object as its size , not the size of its mesh.

Lionheart
June 5th, 2009, 17:31
That also was in JJTools5 , no longer available from his site

Resets and collapses the XForm of all selected objects whilst attempting to preserve the orientation of their pivot points. Unlike the standard 'ResetXForm' button, this tool can be undone.

I have a copy of JJtools4 but it dosn't contain that script, but scriptspot still lists it http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/clever-reset-xform

There is no better way than doing it as you create the parts, never leaving a scaled object to start with is the best solution,
they will get you in the end as FS sees the bounding box of an object as its size , not the size of its mesh.

Hey Chuck,

Roger that and thanks for the heads up on that script.

From some reason I once had trouble getting them to clear if I had the parts parent in the hierarchy selected too. Did you try selecting just the parts one by one and then resetting?

Cerberus

Hey Jess,

I did. One by one, lol..

crashaz
December 23rd, 2009, 14:40
Just happened to run into a problem with XForms all over my parts...

http://www.jimjagger.com/Pages/Tools/JJTools.htm

:wavey: