PDA

View Full Version : just curious

mariereid
June 4th, 2009, 09:52
Hi men (and ladies?), I spent most of yesterday messing around with evo force joystick. By the time i was finished cfs2 was uninstalled once again! Not to worry, my new planes are safe and not much else in the files. I think i am giving computer hacker a new meaning. I am using force 3d pro at the moment and it is fine. My question is: what would make ailerons and elavators screw up so badly. When the joystick is centered the ailerons are pointed up and elavators are up or down. Quite a joyride. Just wondering if anyone knows about this. Also, i have cfs2 installed on another computer, that i share with wife. She has about 99% share. I installed it incase i wanted to see original files, etc. On that machine, in the aircraft files, each plane has a file called " Installer Package". When i open it there is a message saying "sorry an error has occurred. The application could not be installed because the AIR file is damaged. Try obtaining a new AIR file from the application author". Like i said, i d`ont use this install for flying, but the aircraft do show up and start, so i am guessing they fly. Ever see this? See ya, Rick

OBIO
June 4th, 2009, 13:21
The air file thing....don't worry about that. Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader uses .air as an extension for its files. So, Adobe assumes that the .air files in CFS2 belong to it, and when you click on an air file, Adobe tries to open the files and can't do so since it is not an Adobe file. Thus it throws the error message at you. I get the same thing with my air files in CFS2 and FS2004, and all my planes fly just fine. Nothing to worry about at all.

The joystick....make sure the stick is fully calibrated and that it is properly zeroed. If you stick uses some sort of driver files, make sure they are properly installed.

OBIO

mariereid
June 5th, 2009, 04:04
Thanks Obio, I have pedals & quad, they work fine without software disc. I quess the stick is a little more high tech. I`ll give it another go later on. Well, back to landing lessons. I`d be a good Kamikaze pilot.

Shadow Wolf 07
June 5th, 2009, 08:08
Well, back to landing lessons. I`d be a good Kamikaze pilot.

Keep at it... it will click in and you'll be alright. Use your flaps and throttle and settle onto the runway. :wiggle:

mariereid
June 5th, 2009, 09:52
I could land anything before I tried getting a little more serious. Now, I need an extra mile of runway. I am having a great time learning. Ever now and then I will nail it. When I land 10 in row, perfectly, I will move on to Something else. Oh my gosh, I forget about carrier landings. Gulp! Now that I think about it, all those easy landings for performed by "x" key

Shadow Wolf 07
June 5th, 2009, 12:53
Tap, don;t hold the brakes... once you get below stall speed you can pull back on the stick to get extra drag and then you can hold the brake key down a bit longer.
Carrrier landings are a piece of cake once you get past the realization you can't really die. :icon29: Then, having mastered them, you can modify the carriers to have more pitch and roll for extra challenge like in this video:

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/Pechora07/?action=view&current=PitchnRoll2.flv

:kilroy:

p14u2nv
June 5th, 2009, 12:55
Don't worry Rick as it will come in time. We all started the same way too with many crash and burns I'm sure! Not so sure about that 10 in a row and moving on part though. What really settled me down was knowing the aircraft first. What I mean, for instance, is to know the stall speed for starters and make just passes at just above that speed. Get used to handling the aircraft at that slow speed and adjust accordingly. I made many slow speed passes over the runways (and eventually a carrier) and got used to that before I perfected landings. You also should get the feel for different flap settings and how each aircraft handles when set at 20 degrees vs 40 etc but just above stall speed. An F4F is a fairly forgiving airframe at slower speeds. Pull that same speed in an F4U and you'll most likely pull a ground loop. Ask me how I know that? As Shadow Wolf said "Use your flaps and throttle and settle onto the runway." Just take your time, practice, practice and practice but enjoy it. In time you'll be nailing carrier traps everytime...remember S.T.A.L.L. means stop, think and love landing! Take good care and have a blast!

mariereid
June 5th, 2009, 13:36
Funny thing about the brakes, after a few flips, i really laid off of them. Today i started getting the hang of them. I am using a bit more flaps and that is really helping. Went to the traing missions, oh i hate that sarcastic flight inst. I made 13 out of 15 safe landings, 10 where i was still on the runway. It seems a lot easier in the training missions. Went to Wake Is. and 1st flight ended with a swim, second ended halfway down the runway. Yeah 10 good landings in a row is not nearly enough. Thanks guys, believe me, i use all your tips. Good thing i`m retired and have lots of time on my hands. I am set up for 100% realism, on hard. I would quess there were no easy settings in the good old days.See ya, Rick