PDA

View Full Version : The Smell of Future Berries

OBIO
June 3rd, 2009, 11:42
Future Berries? Yep, future berries. Right behind our house, and I mean like 4 feet from the back wall of our house, there is a long line of berry bushes. 60 odd feet of them. Red Raspberries and Black Berries. And they are in full bloom right now. Sitting here with the window open, I am surrounded with the light, fresh, and sweet scent of those berry blossoms. And when I stick my head out the window, the smell is even stonger...very very nice.

Last year, Deb and I spent about 4 or 5 hours trimming the bushes back HARD, really took off a lot of the brambles, cleaned out the small trees that were growing up through the berry bushes. And as a result, last year's berry harvest was very dismal...but this year looks to be a bumper crop. Thousands and thousands of blooms! Two years ago, we were able to put up nearly 8 gallons of berries, and this year it looks like we can expect to have even better pickings. Freezer jam, cobbler, turn overs, raspberry and blackberry syrups...so very good on waffles!

OBIO

6297J
June 3rd, 2009, 12:18
If you are making Blackberry and Apple Crumble, I'll be on the next plane to Cincinnati :jump:

GT182
June 3rd, 2009, 12:28
Rub it in OBIO.... rub it in. LOL Haven't seen berries like that since we moved from Northern NY. We had black berries the size of your thumb.... and they were sooooo gooooood. We got to pick what the bears didn't want. :kilroy:

cheezyflier
June 3rd, 2009, 15:32
when i was a kid, there used to be a blackberry patch along the brandywine river that must have been 200 yards long by about 25 yards wide. in the summer me and my cousin would go and fill a bucket for my aunt to make preserves and for us to put in with our cheerios and corn flakes.
now there are condos there....what a crappy trade off that was!

Cazzie
June 3rd, 2009, 16:36
Man, we been eating strawberries the past three weeks, black cherries are just ripening, gotta beat the birds, especially the cardinals, to them when they peak. Sweet cherries are a while away. Wild blackberries will come ripe in July and blueberries in August.

My nieces and I can eat blackberries off the bush till our mouths are purple, look like clown freaks. :icon_lol:

Caz

cheezyflier
June 4th, 2009, 06:01
Man, we been eating strawberries the past three weeks, black cherries are just ripening, gotta beat the birds, especially the cardinals, to them when they peak.

man, you ain't just whistlin dixie! my aunt lived just up the street, she had a huge cherry tree in her yard. they were "cooking cherries"
the first 4 or 5 were sour, but after that, delicious. after the tree blossomed in the spring, i watched it every day until it was time, to be sure i could get some. the birds would strip it clean with amazing speed

Willy
June 4th, 2009, 18:01
I used to love homemade blackberry wine and brandy.