PDA

View Full Version : Stoopid Me

Helldiver
June 3rd, 2009, 11:21
Three times it happened to me. I was making an approach with an aircraft using my new computer, and the computer quit. This was making me mad. Everything was defragged, been through the Virus checker and I ran SpyBot on her. There was no reason for it to quit on me like that. It was driving me crazy. Then I happened to look at the switch on the face of the computer. Then I lined up the joystick against it.
You're right kemo savy, when I pushed the nose down on the joystick, I also shut off the computer. - How dumb can you get?
As long as I got your attention, has anybody seen this new show called,
"I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here". It has to be the most mindless, insipid, asinine, not to mention the most rediculous thing, ever to grace our screens. Plus, just to make it worse, it's showing itself every night. It ran out of plot about 10 minutes of the first show. I'd give it a minus five.

BananaBob
June 3rd, 2009, 11:32
When "Leave it to Beaver" went off the air, it was all down hill Bob. :ernae:

krazycolin
June 3rd, 2009, 11:33
Are you still watching it? My wife likes Maury. SSDD... I can't bear it so I put on headphones and listen to music and/or read a book....

IanP
June 3rd, 2009, 11:36
We've had "I'm-a-Third-Rate-Sleb-No-one-Can-Remember-Please-Remind-Them-Of-Me" for years. So we've sent it to the US, have we? I'm sure I can think of something that's in revenge for... Howabout... Umm... Dallas? Dynasty? :engel016:

One of my all-time favourite PC panics was when I had my old (and very good) Thrustmaster rudder pedals. I pushed a pedal forwards to take off in a helicopter and the entire PC went off. I swore. Panicked when it wouldn't come back on, then swore again when I found the power cable trapped underneath the left rudder pedal and thus pulled out of the back of the PC.

D'OH!

wilycoyote4
June 3rd, 2009, 12:02
While flying along in FSX, I suddenly had a strange stutter and a sort of beeping sound while the flight sort of paused. Eventually I discovered that I had stacked some mail near the right edge of the keyboard and some of the mail slid down onto a key so pressing it constantly. Moved the mail and no more problem.

Welcome to the club, Helldiver, it's a very big club, very, very, very, big.
:ernae::guinness::icon29:

Navy Chief
June 3rd, 2009, 12:22
Helldiver, we have ALL done similar things; and will continue to do so!

As for stupid, idiotic tv shows, my wife loves to watch useless things like "Rock of Love" (Bret Michaels stupid search for a girl friend), and "The Biggest Loser"......

Why can't they create shows like M.A.S.H. again? I grew up watching Leave It To Beaver, Twilight Zone, I Love Lucy, The Outer Limits, etc...... But the shows now are a waste of time.

I will say this though, I am watching episodes of CSI Miami and CSI NY for the first time. Gary Sinise and David Caruso are great actors! Oh, and Melina Kanakaredes is a fox, in my opinion...........

NC

SkippyBing
June 3rd, 2009, 13:02
Picture the scene, 702 Naval Air Squadron morning shares, a nervous and computer phobic fellow student is standing at the lectern ready to to give the time check. The projector is casting an image of the squadron crest on the wall with the day's date, as the first slide of the powerpoint show to give met, the flying programme and the other pertinent admin details.
Glancing nervously at his watch our intrepid neophyte aviator proclaims 'Time check in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1'
at which point his left kneeboard hits the reset switch on the computer under the lectern.
Oh how we laughed, and then taped card over both switches so we didn't make the same mistake!

MenendezDiego
June 3rd, 2009, 13:07
Some-what flight-sim related...
...so FSX was getting slow. Decided to add a new power supply. In the process, I knocked the CPU cooling fan loose...thought I punched in all 4 pins tightly (first time doing this so I didn't want to really push them in)

Get everything plugged in (first time doing this) get the tie wraps done, power up, Windows boots, and CRASH...WTF? So I re-boot...crashes even quicker

I ended up un-plugging and re-plugging this damn power supply till I was nearly bleeding at the hands. What could I be doing wrong?

Dad (HP Engineer for Servers in Atlanta) can't figure it out over the phone (I was cocky and said I'd do it once I got back to school, it'd be "fun"...school was 200 miles away from Dad)

I mention the CPU fan, and he goes, "make sure it's locked in"

Sure enough, she worked great...but DAMN what a scary night...thought I was going to have to drive home so my Dad could fix it...all do play flight-sim...I MEAN do my homework like a good boy ;)

IanP
June 3rd, 2009, 13:13
Good US imports... The West Wing was superb TV. Whatever your politics, the way that was written and paced was exceptionally good television. The ramp up to the end of Season two and the two-part season finale was probably the best writing I've ever seen. I've recently started watching A Town Called Eureka as well, which is quite entertaining.

I've lost track of how many times I've accidentally hit reset. It's particularly easy with the case I have right now in the position it currently occupies so happens fairly regularly. :bump:

rwmarth
June 3rd, 2009, 13:46
Or simple FSX things like hitting control + ; instead of just ; to save....

fliger747
June 3rd, 2009, 14:11
In the 747-400 the right CDU (buttons to program the flight computer etc) sits righ where the co-pilkots foot can hit some of the buttons.... a few weeks ago we were motoring over towards NZ from Hawaii and get an 'UNABLE RNP' message, indicating the nav stuff isn't tracking properly. A little investigation showed the co-pilots foot had hit the key that disables the GPS...... Which can only be done when a certain page is up. The Captains side is spared this particular embarassment as the key is away from the edge of the isle stand.....

Cheers: T.

SkippyBing
June 3rd, 2009, 14:15
Or simple FSX things like hitting control + ; instead of just ; to save....

Just did that an hour ago, most annoying!

Cactuskid
June 3rd, 2009, 16:47
Yep, we've all done some pretty dumb things while simming. I was on a nice cross-country flight and couldn't figure out why the plane was losing airspeed and the stall warning was going off. Turns out that I had inadvertently hit the spoiler key and didn't realize it until I went into spot view... :isadizzy:

Programming on the telly sure ain't what it used to be, that's for sure! I'm glad that I have cable, so that I can catch a good flick or cable series like "The Tudors". I watch the Military Channel quite a bit for their excellent series on warbirds. The only thing I watch on the broadcast channels now is "24".

If it wasn't for TV, I would have never had the interest in aviation that I've had all my life. I think I can thank Sky King for that! :wavey:

Cloud9Gal
June 3rd, 2009, 17:15
I'll settle for "Bionic Woman" and the "6 Million dollar Man" to come back on the air....:applause:

RyanJames170
June 3rd, 2009, 17:33
why we are talking about TV in the FSX forum who knows. but i would like Stargate SG1 and Atlantis to come back, although Sanctuary is pretty good.

Ryan

VFR Reviews
June 3rd, 2009, 17:49
Why can't they create shows like M.A.S.H. again?

lol! No kidding :D

I watch the reruns every day on Hallmark :ernae:

Wait- how about Fawlty Towers? Eh?

Cazzie
June 3rd, 2009, 17:52
What is it about you women C9G?

My wife is the same, give her repeats of Lee Majors in "Six-Million Dollar Man", especially if it involves a Sasquatch! LOL

She'll watch Monster Quest in a heartbeat; stupid inane shows I wouldn't waste my time of day on, even on my deathbed!

Caz

limjack
June 3rd, 2009, 17:54
That is too funny Helldiver:icon_lol::icon_lol:, Of course at the time the frustration must of been MADNESS!! Good to hear it was resolved.

Jim

viking3
June 3rd, 2009, 19:11
When "Leave it to Beaver" went off the air, it was all down hill Bob. :ernae:

Ah yes the 60's, when the rudest thing you heard on television was 'Ward, you were a little rough on the Beaver last night.':kilroy:

Regards, Rob:ernae:

Helldiver
June 4th, 2009, 01:14
One thing I haven't been able to figure out, in all my years of Flight Simming, why my port wing is always flying low.
Also why, all of a sudden, the plane is all trimmed out and then it starts to climb and I can't control it with the stick.
This lasts for about a minute and then I gain control of it. But now I'm a couple of thousand feet higher. It doesn't matter what aircraft it is.
I'm doing something else pretty stoopid.

Why can't they bring back Jackie Gleason or Sid Caeser or Ed Sullivan, shows like that?

Cazzie
June 4th, 2009, 01:59
Why can't they bring back Jackie Gleason or Sid Caeser or Ed Sullivan, shows like that?

As Bones would tell Kirk, "They're dead Jim!"

But I do love watching the residuals on TV Channel and its subsidiaries. My oldest son is a Lucy nut, my wife Mayberry. I like the comedians, Sid, Howard Morris, short little dude, still alive, played Ernest T. Bass on Mayberry, Hans Conried, Christ he could break me up as Uncle Tonoose on The Danny Thomas Show, voiced Snidley Whiplash, Captian Hook in the origional Disney film. And black folks, y'all let go of the hatred and let them reshow the original Amos and Andy TV show, the Kingfish was about the funniest act on the air.

Caz

Helldiver
June 4th, 2009, 04:37
Oh, I forgot. Rod Serling and the "Twilight Zone". I couldn't wait to see it.
As funny as it was, they'll never allow Amos and Andy on again or Jack Benny and Rochester for the same reason.

Terry
June 4th, 2009, 05:58
I did the ultimate dumb thing a few months ago. I paused FS9 and went to get a cup of coffee, when I came back and touched the joystick a large static shock occured frying the motherboard. I had forgotten to discharge the static like I normally do.

Another vote for "24", although the government is giving the writers a hard time about torturing terrorists which is why this season was rather lame. One more season is probably the end of it. But NCIS isn't bad, try it.