PDA

View Full Version : Flying Wing AIR files

NachtPiloten
June 3rd, 2009, 06:20
Anyone ever make one? I am working on one for a friend and the plane is not stable. Yaw and Roll are all screwed up. Flies ok until you bank either left or right and the plane yaws then banks. It is very unstable and is not controllable when banking. Climb is ok as long as you are level.

fliger747
June 3rd, 2009, 14:27
The real flying wings tended to be not stable either! The Northrop flying wings were done for FS9 quite some time ago as well as the B2. My guess is that you will need to do a bit of a "bend to fit, paint to match" to arrive at something that approximates the control responses you desire. certainly reducing, or inverting the adverse yaw may help the banking properties. In FS the horiz stab function actually moderates the wing directly rather than applying an independently calculated property, so some sort of phantom horiz stab will be necessary.

Certainly the fly by wire computer driven setups will be made to mimic some sort of conventional aircraft of the desired properties.

Please let us know how it progresses! Cheers: Tom

sparks
June 4th, 2009, 18:45
FS flight dynamics are based on the assumption that an airplane has a tail surface, so you have to translate the physical layout of a flying wing to a logically equivalent FS configuration and then estimate what the aerodynamic coefficients need to be to approximate the characteristics of the flying wing and it's control systems (or lack thereof). Or at least that's how I approached the flight dynamics for the SkyUnlimited Gotha Go229.