PDA

View Full Version : New iPhone due out soon

Lionheart
June 2nd, 2009, 09:12
Hey guys and gals,

Well, the new iPhone is due out soon. Supposedly a new 32Gig version, the 16 gig may be discontinued (already closed out in Australia). They say it may have a forward mounted video camera for video conferencing/telephone calls. And lastly, but most important, the release of iPhone 3.0 OS, which will have many more new capabilities.

I was hoping the new phone would be launched yesterday, but there was nothing. I found out from an employee at the local Mac store that the next WWDC (world wide developers conference) is coming up on June 12th. That will surely be the 'new toys release day'.

I hope I can hold out for 11 more days.. Been without a phone for a month now.

:kilroy:

6297J
June 2nd, 2009, 09:26
Thrilled :sleep:

Chacha
June 2nd, 2009, 09:29
Hey Lionheart,

You are blessed you only have to wait for 11 days, I have to wait till the end of the year for that one! I heard the new iPhone will also have a matte finish to avoid scratches and stuff. A more powerful battery life, and a powerful speaker, (maybe it has an built-in equalizer in it)

And a lot of other features.... I am also looking forward for the release. I hope your wait will soon be over!

Eli:running:

Cratermaker
June 2nd, 2009, 09:36
I gather the OS update will be at the same time as the product launch?

Helldiver
June 2nd, 2009, 09:51
We have been using the same Motorola cellphone we bought 9 years ago. We only use it for emergencies and we have made 14 calls with it. We have accumulated 685 minutes on it. It's as good as new. I even bought a leather case for it. Most of the time it's in the desk drawer. Can't take pictures on it, play any games or index with it. It's just a plain old telephone. I have no idea what the phone number is. We'll probably keep it for another nine years.
If I live that long.

6297J
June 2nd, 2009, 10:07
We have been using the same Motorola cellphone we bought 9 years ago. We only use it for emergencies and we have made 14 calls with it. We have accumulated 685 minutes on it. It's as good as new. I even bought a leather case for it. Most of the time it's in the desk drawer. Can't take pictures on it, play any games or index with it. It's just a plain old telephone. I have no idea what the phone number is. We'll probably keep it for another nine years.
If I live that long.

The great thing about you Helldiver is that I am absolutely certain that even if you were 60 years younger you would still think the same.

Cheers to you sir!! :guinness:

(I'm a bit worried that you have had 14 emergencies in 9 years though!)

Odie
June 2nd, 2009, 10:17
If I live that long.

My son, 25, and his friends, their entire world is their phone. I'll be up at 2am doing something around the house and he's texting someone ! I'm 53, and I can't remember hanging off a phone like these youngsters do when I was their age !

Lionheart
June 2nd, 2009, 10:49
For me, the iPhone will enable me to run my business from far away, handling emails and orders, etc. That is the main thing I need it for. I have grown used to using a PDA (starting with the early Jornada's) and now use an iPod Touch for a PDA which I love. I cannot transfer Docs to it though which is my only complaint. The iPhone will meld Web/Phone/Notes all in one package, and I hear that Notes might then be 'transferrable' between computer and 3.0 OS, which would be really great.

Thats why I would have it. Lately, I have been with family at the hospital, etc, and sometimes that can be an entire day, so something like this would be good to have.

My nephew is like that Odie, lolol... Goodness. You will be talking to him in the car and suddenly you see a quick movement in the corner of your eye, and he has his phone to his face, thumbs are going 50 MPH, typing out a quick text message, lol... tick tick tickity tic tick... lol...

I wonder what communication will be like in 10 years.

Bill

tigisfat
June 2nd, 2009, 10:56
I'm 53, and I can't remember hanging off a phone like these youngsters do when I was their age !

There were no mobile communications when you were younger, was there? You're right, it'd be quite wierd if you hung off a land line with all your time as a teen.

Wittpilot
June 2nd, 2009, 12:19
I heard the new iPhone will also have a matte finish to avoid scratches and stuff. Eli:running:

Hope that is true... I noticed that the 3G when put in most "protective" cases, leave the back completely scratched up....

-witt

Chacha
June 2nd, 2009, 13:17
Hope that is true... I noticed that the 3G when put in most "protective" cases, leave the back completely scratched up....

-witt

I use an iSkin product, soft and rubbery, (i dont know if it is silicon based), it feels like a glove on the iPhone, not bulky looking and I have a red one... and a black holster with it (purchased separately)

http://www.iskin.com/solo/?cart=1243975986355446

I find this one real neat! always get a compliment.

Eli

PS...

Some people needs a cellphone, especially on their line of work, it is convenient to send/receive messages on a cellphone, that wait till you get to the office and transact your business... convenient and fast!!

I basically use my cellphone (the iPhone in particular), to receive and send messages, and even I am on my shopping spree for the day, I can still communicate. I dont use my cellphone when I am driving though, I dont have that skills (and I dont want to learn that skill)....

MyassisDragon
June 2nd, 2009, 13:26
Helldiver's cellphone? ;)

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:fYF7C69wpskOMM:http://jamericanmuslimah.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/old_cellphone.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://jamericanmuslimah.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/old_cellphone.jpg&imgrefurl=http://jamericanmuslimah.wordpress.com/2008/06/13/i-know-im-getting-older-because/&usg=__-_UDXqQHtEVCYFnzqOYUe2qeDKM=&h=171&w=200&sz=36&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=fYF7C69wpskOMM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dold%2Bcell%2Bphone%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3De n)

Helldiver
June 2nd, 2009, 13:28
With over 40 years in Aerospace Marketing, that took me all over the country, I never suffered for want of a phone. There always was one at the airport or the motel. I never missed a call.
Why people think that their business is so important that they have to be glued to their phone are only fooling themselves and making the phone companies richer.
The reasons for the 14 calls, I lived for 12 years in New Hampshire where a public telephone was a sometimes thing.

Panther_99FS
June 2nd, 2009, 13:50

-witt

I'm on my 2nd case - no scratches on the back. :)
1st case was an AT&T leather, this one is an ifrogz

Odie
June 2nd, 2009, 14:07
There were no mobile communications when you were younger, was there? You're right, it'd be quite wierd if you hung off a land line with all your time as a teen.

There was one guy at my high school (in a small town of 18,000 folks) that had a car phone. This was the kind where you had to call a mobile operator to connect the call. This was the only person during my younger years that had any kind of line outside of a land line.

And you are correct, tig, mobile communication to us was hopping on your bike and mobiling over to the person's house that you wanted to talk to! :icon_lol:

Panther_99FS
June 2nd, 2009, 14:32
And you are correct, tig, mobile communication to us was hopping on your bike and mobiling over to the person's house that you wanted to talk to! :icon_lol:

Or carrying quarters in your pocket for the payphone :)

Chacha
June 2nd, 2009, 14:54
Why people think that their business is so important that they have to be glued to their phone are only fooling themselves and making the phone companies richer.

We'll probably keep it for another nine years.
If I live that long.

With all due respect and honour, Sire, Let me respond by saying, we hope and pray that you will still live on this planet earth, beyond the nine years period! My granddad lived to be 103 years old, my grandmother lived to be 111 years old!

I, myself is half a century year old, back then, the use of a cellphone was limited to receiving and sending phone calls... My company pays for my cellphone, and everytime that phone rings, it means business to me and my company, (not necessarily a phonecall- I receive emails as well). I transport data, and important contracts through my cellphone, that does not need for me to be in my office to transmit. I can be on the plane, washing clothes, brushing my teeth, dropping off my daughter to her daycare, on SOH reading/answering posts and my work is done!

We have an enterprise account and compare to a regular personal cellphone line, it is way cheaper! - Cellphone companies now adays give a huge discount to companies that use their services...

Eli :running: :running:

Quixoticish
June 2nd, 2009, 15:19
With over 40 years in Aerospace Marketing, that took me all over the country, I never suffered for want of a phone. There always was one at the airport or the motel. I never missed a call.
The reasons for the 14 calls, I lived for 12 years in New Hampshire where a public telephone was a sometimes thing.

Sadly all it takes is a few businesses to start using their mobiles all day long and soon it is expected of all of us. Admittedly there are some people in business who can get away with not using one but many simply would not be allowed to continue in their positions or would loose customers if they were not available to answer calls at flexible hours.

AckAck
June 2nd, 2009, 18:50
Hmm - you are worried he's had 14 emergencies in 9 years - I'm worried that each emergency call took almost 50 minutes...:isadizzy:

Brian

Lionheart
June 2nd, 2009, 19:07
I'm on my 2nd case - no scratches on the back. :)
1st case was an AT&T leather, this one is an ifrogz

I saw the iFrogs yesterday at the Mac store.. Very nice! Cool lime green version.

Thanks ChaCha for the heads up on an Enterprise account. I'll tell them I am in business for myself, 'and' that I watch Star Trek.

:d

Bill

Wittpilot
June 3rd, 2009, 17:51
The scratches don't bother me too much actually.... not much I could do about them now I guess.... What I have not is pretty neat... it's called the "Otter Box".... A relative of my wifes had one at a wedding and I happen to make a comment about it...well, a week later a package came to the house, he had purchased one on Amazon and sent it to me... swell I guy I say... It has a hard case, and a soft rubber outer case... I am confident that if I drop it now, it will do hardly any damage.... good when you have a daughter turning two... man she will throw anything!!!!

-witt